• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
gimmmick said:
I'll check it out. I just go with canon because I have never had a problem with them over the years. Basically in the end, I need something that takes shots very well in low light situations since most of the time I go out, it's after work. (everything in Vegas starts after 11pm :lol ).
LX5 works really well in low light for a P&S:

Large sensor + f2.0 lens (at wide angle) + usable high ISOs + image stabilization = good times in low light

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Lee N said:
When exporting, there's a checkbox that says "minimize embedded metadata". This option should keep extra fluff like that down to a minimum.
Hmm I'll give that a shot. Do you know if it kicks keywords out? Sometimes I'll apply keywords before exporting images.

Thanks.

captive said:
Hmm I'll give that a shot. Do you know if it kicks keywords out? Sometimes I'll apply keywords before exporting images.

Thanks.

Yep it does... it kicks pretty much everything but the image out (EXIF, keywords, meta data, etc).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
picked up a NEX-5 twin lens kit yesterday. Not had a chance to play with it yet, but updated to the newer firmware.

Also found out my father-in-law has a nice little collection of old canon FD lenses (28mm 2.8, 50mm 1.8, 135 3.5) that should work nicely on the NEX with a cheap ebay adapter. Seems like these mirrorless cameras (including the micro 4/3) are waking up interest in 'legacy' glass.

gimmmick

IMG_20101019_201542.jpg

In the end, I needed something very portable and I choose this.

:D

Going to mess around with it tonight and tomorrow on my days off.

Camera footage @ 720p

gimmmick

What's a good SD card to buy? I have no idea was good, so should I go for the lowest price or something along the lines of fast transfer rate etc? (still don't know what that means, but in time I will I guess).

I need one by friday, so I'm probably going to have to buy it at my local frys. I'm looking for 16 gigs and up.

ChryZ

mrklaw said:
picked up a NEX-5 twin lens kit yesterday. Not had a chance to play with it yet, but updated to the newer firmware.

Also found out my father-in-law has a nice little collection of old canon FD lenses (28mm 2.8, 50mm 1.8, 135 3.5) that should work nicely on the NEX with a cheap ebay adapter. Seems like these mirrorless cameras (including the micro 4/3) are waking up interest in 'legacy' glass.
Seems? Prices went up quite a bit for legacy glass, especially for good and fast primes.

not to slow this thread's march in line with the inexorable progress of technology, but i got my first ever rolls of film back today! pretty happy with the results, i thought something would've gone wrong, like i don't know what but anyway yeah happy.

Tedesco!

I have a Nikon D300s, with the following lenses:

70-300mm zoom
50mm fixed focus
and a Fish Eye lens

What other lenses should I have in my collection?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Tedesco! said:
I have a Nikon D300s, with the following lenses:

70-300mm zoom
50mm fixed focus
and a Fish Eye lens

What other lenses should I have in my collection?
only one option i think.
Nikon 600f4

Seriously though, doesn't Nikon make like a 24-70, 18-50 or so range? I know some guys that use the 18-50 on Fuji S5's and like them a lot.

Tedesco!

I've decided to cancel my order on the D300s. I just saw the specs on the D7000. I'll wait for that to be available in non-kit form. I might get the 18-50 lens as well.

Zyzyxxz

Tedesco! said:
I've decided to cancel my order on the D300s. I just saw the specs on the D7000. I'll wait for that to be available in non-kit form. I might get the 18-50 lens as well.

I would get the D7000 over the D300s as well, spec wise its just too crazy to pass up, in fact the ISO performance is amazing too at the current price.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
my Canon FD lenses arrived today from my father-in-law, along with an adapter for my NEX-5

50mm f1.8
P1000297.jpg

135mm f3.5
P1000300.jpg

I have a 28mm 2.8 as well, but thats very similar in size to the 50mm (actually just slightly longer) so I didn't take a photo of that mounted.

Will post some photos once I've had a proper play - can't tell how sharp they are, but the 50mm 1.8 has a nice shallow DoF which is fun in video mode. And they're surprisingly usable for manual lenses - I suppose being manual they actually have decent focus rings and I like the direct aperture setting.

One annoying thing is that there isn't a spare lens cap for my NEX - it came with one lens mounted, so I'll have to get another off ebay I guess.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
sneaky77 said:
That looks so weird.. lol.. is it comfortable to hold?
Yeah it's fine . 135 is a little large but the 50 mm is great. It's not much longer than the kit 18-55, just a bit fatter

You naturally hold the lens and lightly grip the body. Might help that i'm kind of used to that tiny body/long lens layout from my f707

If anyone has a nice collection of old manual lenses - maybe in the attic, maybe a relative? - then you should consider a mirrorless camera as you can adapt pretty much anything to one

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I really like the look of the Nex. Its almost like you're simply attaching a sensor to a lens, in regards to its size. Also the Leica-M line of lenses seem to pair very well with the black Nex (aesthetically).

Blackhead

Redarse
What's the deal with the Ricoh GXR? I searched but couldn't find a discussion (and very few mentions of Ricoh itself). I was surprised to discover that the body and a P10 28-300mm F3.5-5.6 VC Lens with 10MP CMOS Sensor now retails for $500 which previously could only get you the body. That's cheaper than the Sony NEX models which are my other option. Should the limited system really be a deal breaker?

the problem i see with the GXR is, asides from the obvious limitations, the actual range itself isn't so great - most of the modules use point-and-shoot sensors, which won't give you as good a result as the NEX would with any lens. i mean, there are actually more GXR things than official e-mount lenses, but it's still much more limiting (considering i'd only want to use 2 of them at a push, and you can't just stick a ring adapter on).

i can see the appeal but i think as a system it's kind of overpriced for what it is. it depends how far you want to take it going forward.

My trusty canon Xti doesn't turn on sometimes. I must reseat the battery and it'll work fine. Is this the result of a bum battery or are some internal contacts fucked up or something?

luoapp

P10 uses a smaller 1/2.3-inch sensor -- similar to the one in the compact camera. A12, which uses an APS-C sensor, same size as the NEX's, is 734usd on Amazon, and that's the price for lens-sensor unit along.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
ooh, how is the 1.4? Thats smaller than I'd have expected. I could really do with an 85mm 1.8 but these were free so its a good place to start.

Blackhead

Redarse
I'm interested in the ricoh gxr because dpreview said it has a very good user interface. I heard the NEX was horrible for anyone trying to learn the controls...

Blackhead

Redarse
luoapp said:
Not any more. The recent firmware update improved on the control issue greatly.
It did? Didn't know that. Where can I find out more in for on the changes. And the NEX is still the smallest dslr/ interchangeable lens system right?

adelante

mrklaw said:
my Canon FD lenses arrived today from my father-in-law, along with an adapter for my NEX-5

50mm f1.8
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v56/mrklaw/GAF/P1000297.jpg[//IMG]

[/QUOTE]
:O
Can't wait to see some photos! Planning to get another lens for my nex5 but not sure on which model to settle with :/

Charred Greyface said:
I'm interested in the ricoh gxr because dpreview said it has a very good user interface. I heard the NEX was horrible for anyone trying to learn the controls...

the NEX is incredibly easy to learn for a beginner; the problem comes when you get more advanced and want to do a bunch of things at once. though, that issue was pretty much fixed with the last firmware update, which allows you to customise the buttons to do what you want.

i can see where it might frustrate a DSLR user at first but i mostly like the control system, especially now.

still want an a33 though! if sony released a NEX EVF i'd be golden.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
How good is the T2i? I'm trying to buy a new camera pretty soon, but I don't have the funds needed for the 7D or D700. :/ I'm comfortable working with Cannon's stuff, but I'm more than well at working with other products. I'm trying to keep things less than $1,000.00... So deals and stuff on lenses would be pretty good. :lol

luoapp

Oldschoolgamer said:
How good is the T2i?
Very very good. But so is the new Nikon D3100.:lol

As for deals, have you checked the Canon’s Customer Loyalty program? And I saw there is a T1i deal on Amazon, basically you get a long lens for free.

ChryZ

mrklaw said:
ooh, how is the 1.4? Thats smaller than I'd have expected. I could really do with an 85mm 1.8 but these were free so its a good place to start.
Wide open a bit soft and dreamy, stopped down pretty sharp. I paid little money and learned a lot while shooting with it. Yeah, I'm more than happy. Some of the shots I took with my FD lens: http://www.flickr.com/photos/crackalacking/tags/canonfd50mmf14/ I injected the aperture details manually, so check the exif data if you can't guess what was taken wide open ;)

Blackhead

Redarse
345triangle said:
the NEX is incredibly easy to learn for a beginner; the problem comes when you get more advanced and want to do a bunch of things at once. though, that issue was pretty much fixed with the last firmware update, which allows you to customise the buttons to do what you want.

i can see where it might frustrate a DSLR user at first but i mostly like the control system, especially now.

still want an a33 though! if sony released a NEX EVF i'd be golden.
that was my concern in a nutshell. I figured that the ricoh gxr had more discrete manual dials so it'd be easier to get up to grip with it. It's nice that dpreview has suggested settings for customizing the buttons. It's not perfect I guess but that looks like the best I can do for now. Thanks for the advice.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Charred Greyface said:
that was my concern in a nutshell. I figured that the ricoh gxr had more discrete manual dials so it'd be easier to get up to grip with it. It's nice that dpreview has suggested settings for customizing the buttons. It's not perfect I guess but that looks like the best I can do for now. Thanks for the advice.
What bunches of thing are you expecting to need at once? Maybe us couple of NEX owners could walk through how complex/simple that is

TBH I haven't come across much with the new firmware that is buried deep in the menus. ISO, AF mode, drive mode, metering mode, aperture, shutter speed, exposure compensation are all directly accessible without diving into the menu - some literally one press away, some you have to press one button to cycle to it.

I did like the look of the panasonic G2. never mind menus, it has physical dials for most major settings, it's quite a pleasure to handle

Blackhead

Redarse
mrklaw said:
What bunches of thing are you expecting to need at once? Maybe us couple of NEX owners could walk through how complex/simple that is

TBH I haven't come across much with the new firmware that is buried deep in the menus. ISO, AF mode, drive mode, metering mode, aperture, shutter speed, exposure compensation are all directly accessible without diving into the menu - some literally one press away, some you have to press one button to cycle to it.

I did like the look of the panasonic G2. never mind menus, it has physical dials for most major settings, it's quite a pleasure to handle
thanks again. I'm checking out the Panasonic G2--wow, did not know it had a touchscreen for 'tap to focus', all cameras should include that--but now I'm leaning towards getting an ultra-compact point&shoot and forgetting about image quality and advanced controls for a while.

CrankyJay

Banned
My dad bought Nikon D90 camera kit from Costco (came with 2 lenses, camera bag, camera body). He ended up buying one a lense that was like 2-in-1, apparently eliminating the need for the 2 lenses he originally got with the camera.

So he's thinking of just giving the lenses to me and buying me a D90 body or another Nikon camera that the lenses would fit on.

This would be my first DSLR camera. If I get this there is a local camera shop offering DSLR classes.

Keeping that in mind...should I get a D90 body, or a lesser DSLR from Nikon? How much can I get a D90 body from a reputable place these days?

Any other recommendations?

luoapp

CrankyJay said:
My dad bought Nikon D90 camera kit from Costco (came with 2 lenses, camera bag, camera body). He ended up buying one a lense that was like 2-in-1, apparently eliminating the need for the 2 lenses he originally got with the camera.

So he's thinking of just giving the lenses to me and buying me a D90 body or another Nikon camera that the lenses would fit on.

This would be my first DSLR camera. If I get this there is a local camera shop offering DSLR classes.

Keeping that in mind...should I get a D90 body, or a lesser DSLR from Nikon? How much can I get a D90 body from a reputable place these days?

Any other recommendations?

Amazon has the D90 body for 790. How much was the D90 kit from Costco?

luoapp

keiichi

NEX owners : Do you all use the camera for everyday use also with the pancake lense? (like at gatherings or parties)

Is it annoying having to attach the flash when needed?

the 16mm isn't exactly an all-purpose lens, but it's great for the situations you describe. i basically never use the flash.

tumblr_lb5bd5z59r1qbsgauo1_500.jpg

tumblr_lb5f93eME61qbsgauo1_500.jpg

tumblr_lb5fb6R6KR1qbsgauo1_500.jpg

tumblr_lb5fbyBPxZ1qbsgauo1_500.jpg

here are some pictures i took on saturday night for halloween - these are in the street at some time after midnight. i actually used that weird & cheap manual 35mm SLR magic lens, though, which i guess is a little brighter but nowhere near as sharp - it's obviously better-suited for portrait-style photos.

anyway here are some 16mm shots i've taken at gatherings/parties, all sans flash...

tumblr_l9ulvj6EiS1qbsgauo1_500.jpg

tumblr_l9pxe3VuZC1qbsgauo1_500.jpg

tumblr_l7xc8sLZHx1qbsgauo1_500.jpg

tumblr_l89fga66XS1qbsgauo1_500.jpg

i think the NEX is close to the perfect party camera. i almost never use the flash, and it's so small that it's not really a pain to stick it in my bag on the off-chance that i might need it (usually only for filling shadows).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom