• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Ok I did it :3

7D refurb from canon loyalty program will be here in 2 days. So excited :D Total was $1190 after tax with free 2 day shipping. Guy on the phone was very cool and the order was completed within 10 minutes.

Futureman

SnowWolf said:
Ok I did it :3

7D refurb from canon loyalty program will be here in 2 days. So excited :D Total was $1190 after tax with free 2 day shipping. Guy on the phone was very cool and the order was completed within 10 minutes.

how do you get in the loyalty program?

I've owned a Rebel XT, 5D, and now 5D2. I think I'd qualify.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Futureman said:
how do you get in the loyalty program?

I've owned a Rebel XT, 5D, and now 5D2. I think I'd qualify.

Basically the loyalty program is 20% off any refurbished cameras listed here after you trade in any Canon digital camera. Obviously the deal works best if you have an old busted P&S that you never use any more.

http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/subCategory_10051_10051_-1_29252

I get my 7D in 2 days and I have to ship back my old Canon P&S within 2 weeks. The 7D comes with a 14 day return policy and 3 month warranty. I've skimmed through the thread about this on POTN and almost everybody who's done this have been happy with their refurbished cameras so I decided to give it a shot. Apparently a lot of these cameras are overstock from dealers so they're essentially brand new and had no prior problems to be fixed. I'm hoping I get one of those.

7D - $1119 before tax
5D Mark II - $1680 before tax
40D - $559.20
50D - $719.20

Phone number to call is 1-866-443-8002, option 2.

Suairyu

Banned
mrklaw said:
He has a 5D, which is full frame. You'll get the same field of view with an 85mm 1.8 on a crop camera.
Ah, I misread. I thought he said the lens itself was $1000.

So Canon 1000d or a used 450d with a 50mm prime would be the best budget choice, unless somehow I swing an 85mm for reduced cost. Under circumstances where they'd both cost the same, which of the 1000d or 450d would be the better choice?

Fireye

Suairyu said:

So Canon 1000d or a used 450d with a 50mm prime would be the best budget choice, unless somehow I swing an 85mm for reduced cost. Under circumstances where they'd both cost the same, which of the 1000d or 450d would be the better choice?

The 450d, hands down.

The 1000d is pretty much the sensor from the 400d (XT, IIRC) combined with the chipset of the 450d. You get a good amount of the 450d features, but you miss out on Spot metering (which I would consider important for portraits), and I think less AF points.

If I had to pick a new camera now, I think I'd go for the 50d, primarily for the Microfocus Adjustment for lenses. Most of my lenses are now 3rd party, and all suffer from slight-moderate front and back focusing. 1st party canon lenses have less of an issue with this.

Does anyone have any experience with one of these lens converters?
41kKe4bLNkL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I moved from Nikon to Canon and have a 50 mm lens that's just sitting there. I figure it'd be cheaper to get a converter than another 50 lens.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Suairyu said:

Unfortunately the lens itself is $1000 (well, $980 on BHPhoto to be specific) but mrklaw is right in pointing out the lens is on a 5DMKII which is the photographic equivalent of some super mecha Voltron. The pairing of 135mm and Full Frame is a wonderful one.

As far as your situation, if I were in this situation I would get a used 450D and a prime lens of choice (at a minimum the Canon 50/1.8 and if I had cash left over the Canon 85/1.8).

killertofu said:
Does anyone have any experience with one of these lens converters?
41kKe4bLNkL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I moved from Nikon to Canon and have a 50 mm lens that's just sitting there. I figure it'd be cheaper to get a converter than another 50 lens.

Is the Nikon lens fully manual (Manual Aperture and Manual Focus?), is so the Fotodiox adapters are fantastic. I have the M42>EOS and the Contax>EOS ones.

Suairyu

Banned
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Where are the best sources for second hand cameras? Ebay? Is there anything I should be aware of when purchasing a camera second hand? How about lenses? (UK based here)

Suairyu said:
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Where are the best sources for second hand cameras? Ebay? Is there anything I should be aware of when purchasing a camera second hand? How about lenses? (UK based here)

CEX have a lot of second hand cameras, as do cash converters.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
CEX always seem overpriced to me. Check out London Camera Exchange who do used cameras (LCEgroup.co.uk) and have lots of branches, or official refurbs on ebay - eg I think Canon have an outlet on there, so you'll get a proper guarantee.

Suairyu

Banned
Thanks for the link! Canon's outlet doesn't have any 450s, but there are a couple on there in the £330-£350 range. Consideration, consideration.

Forsete

Well I dumped the plans for a Voigtländer. I got a cheap ($99) 35mm instead from "SLR Magic". I will probably get the Samyang 35mm later to use with my FF camera, and the NEX.

For the price its a pretty good lens.. A little "bloomy" wide open, but the details that are in focus look sharp. Its very small, the aperture ring is stepless.

All of these are wide-open at f1.7.

As you can see not the best of glass, but I like the look. :p

And of course my cat in dim lightning.

And this is what I will be doing next, brewing some coffe and having a "After Eight" muffin. :D

Fireye

Forsete said:

Neat effect, reminds me of LensBaby stuff. Actually, it makes me quite dizzy, but I'm not sure if that's because I haven't had breakfast yet!

My 77mm ND filter set came in yesterday, can't wait to try this out! It came with 2stop, 4stop, and 8stop filters, all stackable on eachother.

Suairyu said:
Thanks! Just looking at their website now for 450D, they have two, one listed as A and one listed as B, with a £30 price difference between them. I don't suppose anyone can shed any light on the difference between the two?

http://uk.webuy.com/product.php?sku=SDIGCAN450D1855A "A"
http://uk.webuy.com/product.php?sku=SDIGCAN450D1855B "B"

A lot of the time it might be to do with scuffs/marks on the body or as simple as no box. As a previous poster said, they can sometimes be overpriced but are worth a look.

BlueTsunami

killertofu said:
I got the adapter...but when i put in my 1.8 lens, the fstop on the camera is 00?

Its a manual lens? Sounds about right, the camera doesn't know what F-Stop you've chosen so its metering the light thats coming through the lens and determining exposure off that. I would only use M or AV modes too.

slider

Hehe, LE $17500 Leica. The best part is...

Engadget said:
Sure it costs $17,500, but that includes Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3 and a personal delivery from a Leica photography expert, who will also provide a private training and orientation session.

Put's this post in perspective.

zhenming

Forsete said:
Well I dumped the plans for a Voigtländer. I got a cheap ($99) 35mm instead from "SLR Magic". I will probably get the Samyang 35mm later to use with my FF camera, and the NEX.

For the price its a pretty good lens.. A little "bloomy" wide open, but the details that are in focus look sharp. Its very small, the aperture ring is stepless.

And of course my cat in dim lightning.

And this is what I will be doing next, brewing some coffe and having a "After Eight" muffin. :D
wow! not bad for a $99 lens if you like that effect. I do :D

Blackhead

Redarse
slider said:
Hehe, LE $17500 Leica. The best part is...

Engadget said:
Sure it costs $17,500, but that includes Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3 and a personal delivery from a Leica photography expert, who will also provide a private training and orientation session.

Put's this post in perspective.
:lol Only The Leica Man could pay almost $20,000 for a camera without knowing how to use it. I'd love one too but not with all that baggage. I'm still on the lookout for a cheap+tiny+easy-to-use&learn digital camera with manual controls. If anyone sights that mystical beast please send a PM.

ChryZ

Forsete said:
Well I dumped the plans for a Voigtländer. I got a cheap ($99) 35mm instead from "SLR Magic".
I've seen such swirly bokeh with m4/3 coupled with fast c mount lenses. Not quite sure what's causing it. It can be a very cool effect, but also a complete nuisance. 99usd is a fair price, but I got a funny feeling that you'll be shopping for new glass soon.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Great blog post by Kirk Tuck
http://visualsciencelab.blogspot.com/2010/10/sometimes-i-cheat-myself-by-believing.html
I really wanted to believe that the Zeiss 50mm 1.4 ZE lens for the Canon EF systems would be so incredibly superior to the Canon glass that I would see all kinds of brilliant optical wonders. My images would be elevated to a new pantheon of photography reserved for the new blognoscenti and clients would flock to me, gushing, "How do you make the colors so rich and vibrant?" before shoving wads of currency in my photo vest.

It goes on and I think he has a good point.

BlueTsunami

captive said:
Great blog post by Kirk Tuck
http://visualsciencelab.blogspot.com/2010/10/sometimes-i-cheat-myself-by-believing.html

It goes on and I think he has a good point.

I agree with him about gear not being paramount but with a little research on his part he would have to come find that the Zeiss 50/1.4 is the same design from the 80's on a new mount and the same 50mm design that most lens manufactures produce currently. It has the same issues when shot wide open and also gets just as sharp when stopped below f/2. He's blaming Zeiss for his own ignorance, one should never buy a lens based on brand name alone.

And I love that he's playing up the Canon 50/1.8, a lens thats known to fall apart rather easily (front element falling off, lens exploding apart when dropped etc). Its great optically but has some of its own build issues. The blog entry sort of reads like a reactionary post to not being bedazzled by the Zeiss.

If it came down to it, I would personally recommend the Canon 50/1.4 every time over the Zeiss and only the Zeiss if someone wants a manual focus experience. Now Zeiss's other modern designed lenses (like the 50/2 Makro and 100/2 Makro) are the Halo's of Zeiss's current lineup (and soon to be the Zeiss 35/1.4).

hEist

BlueTsunami said:
I agree with him about gear not being paramount but with a little research on his part he would have to come find that the Zeiss 50/1.4 is the same design from the 80's on a new mount and the same 50mm design that most lens manufactures produce currently. It has the same issues when shot wide open and also gets just as sharp when stopped below f/2. He's blaming Zeiss for his own ignorance, one should never buy a lens based on brand name alone.

And I love that he's playing up the Canon 50/1.8, a lens thats known to fall apart rather easily (front element falling off, lens exploding apart when dropped etc). Its great optically but has some of its own build issues. The blog entry sort of reads like a reactionary post to not being bedazzled by the Zeiss.

If it came down to it, I would personally recommend the Canon 50/1.4 every time over the Zeiss and only the Zeiss if someone wants a manual focus experience. Now Zeiss's other modern designed lenses (like the 50/2 Makro and 100/2 Makro) are the Halo's of Zeiss's current lineup (and soon to be the Zeiss 35/1.4).

agree, but before i would pick up a canon 50/1.4, i would try to find a good sigma 50 1.4, which have a more beautiful bokeh. But it is hard to find one, which works flawless.

Forsete said:

i'm going to go for this too i think, it has character at least!

BlueTsunami

hEist said:
agree, but before i would pick up a canon 50/1.4, i would try to find a good sigma 50 1.4, which have a more beautiful bokeh. But it is hard to find one, which works flawless.

True about the Sigma. I haven't heard anything about focus issues for a while now so maybe they remedied the AF issues. Its often lauded as the best 50mm to have if one shoots primarily wide open.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
BlueTsunami said:

perhaps you should leave a comment on his blog. :p

345triangle said:
i'm going to go for this too i think, it has character at least!

ordered. first thing i've ever bought off ebay, as well, i feel like i'm hip in 1997

a fast 35mm prime is exactly what i've been wanting for my NEX, so i can't see this not being worth it for the price. should make for some pretty fun street results.

i wish they'd hurry up with that firmware update though! took some nice daytime shots yesterday without even realising i'd left it on at ISO 3200, which is a pretty ridiculous situation for anyone to find themselves in - had to convert to black & white and pass it off as intentional grain. probably not convincing anyone, but what can you do when something like that is like a billion button clicks away...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How is the NEX for moving subjects? Kids and the like? And is there a decent option for around an 85mm fast prime (1.8-2.8 ish)

i don't have any complains about autofocus or shooting speed, but there aren't any lens options like that right now unless you're okay with adapters. i went for that lens above because of the crazy situation where the only e-mount prime from sony is a 16mm 2.8 (which i actually like a lot, but isn't the most versatile thing in the world)

Lee N

Membre
hEist said:
<3 hipstamatic on iphone4. seriously, get this guys.
Honestly, I don't really see the appeal of Hipstamatic. You can spot images taken with it miles away because everybody's using the same "lenses".

I'd rather post-process the photos manually if I wanted to achieve a certain effect.

osknoes

I've looking for a camera for a while, and after reading some reviews, etc I almost decided to go with the Panasonic Lumix DMC-G10 (around 450$). Also, the Sony Alpha NEX-3 looks pretty cool. What do you guys think about it ? Any suggestions ?
Just for the record, I'm just starting to get into photography, and portability is quite a big deal for me.

Thanks.

Forsete

ChryZ said:
I've seen such swirly bokeh with m4/3 coupled with fast c mount lenses. Not quite sure what's causing it. It can be a very cool effect, but also a complete nuisance. 99usd is a fair price, but I got a funny feeling that you'll be shopping for new glass soon.

Yes, probably that E-Mount Zeiss lens if it turns out to be 35mm. :)

345triangle said:
ordered. first thing i've ever bought off ebay, as well, i feel like i'm hip in 1997

a fast 35mm prime is exactly what i've been wanting for my NEX, so i can't see this not being worth it for the price. should make for some pretty fun street results.

i wish they'd hurry up with that firmware update though! took some nice daytime shots yesterday without even realising i'd left it on at ISO 3200, which is a pretty ridiculous situation for anyone to find themselves in - had to convert to black & white and pass it off as intentional grain. probably not convincing anyone, but what can you do when something like that is like a billion button clicks away...

Nice. :) Using MF-lenses are so much easier with the big LCD-screen.
Even with the A900s huge viewfinder it was hard to tell when the focus was just right.

I've done that with my SLR also.. I only noticed when the shutter speeds were so fast. :D
But yes the firmware is something I am looking forward to, mid october they said so maybe next week?

waxer

Im looking for something cheap in the way of a video camera for our blog/webstore. Have been looking at zi8 and sanyo cg20. Needs to be able to do close up shots so we can show off product and do video demos online to promote our craft lessons and store. Also be handy for craft shows etc. So the still photos on sanyo would be handy rather than having to take another camera just for quick blogging stuff.

Going in the opposite direction are there any still camera options with decent enough video?

Looking at around the $200 mark. Dont want to spend to much at this stage as its a second business we have started out of our house. In the future Ill look at getting something more dedicated if required but if most the video goes on youtube surely this is plenty?

Smidget

I'm thinking of selling my Nikon D60 DSLR, I just am not the photographer I thought I would be, it's a pain in the @$$ lugging it around, and honestly I don't like being so ... obvious(?) with a camera. To each his own! I plan to Craigslist it and the 2 lens for some cash.

But now I'm just looking for a compact point and shoot, I'd love it to have HD video as well... any recommendations? Canon SD4500IS or the S95 looks like it might be perfect... I do like the HDR feature on the S95, but the 1080p video might be better... any recommendations or not Canon at all?

my SLR magic 35mm 1.7 arrived today...it's fun! the marker notch is inexplicably on the opposite side to where the aperture and focus settings are shown, but whatever - the NEX screen makes manual operation easy, and i feel like using this lens for precision stuff would be a bad idea in the first place.

i have one, don't use it a lot but it's as much tripod as i need. it's a great thing to be able to throw into a bag even if you're not sure you'll need it.

plus it makes a good ipad stand!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Forsete said:
That looks really great! You need an Alpha DLSR converter for the NEX to use that lens, correct? *edit* just read ebay listing and it seems to be native e-mount lens, so no adapter needed. Had no idea 3rd parties were already making these.

I just got NEX5 the other day, this camera is absolutely insanely good. I can't believe what I'm holding, with how small it is, and what kind of quality pictures it makes, plus full HD video. I've been exclusively a compact digital user up until now, never could justify the huge dslr sizes, and this camera seems like something I've been waiting for ages to be made. Strangely I know quite a bit about photography theory, tech and software, it was literally the form factor that kept me away from 'serious' cameras for as long as I can remember. Now I'm happily editing RAW files and enjoying picture quality I could only dream of a week ago.

Lee N said:
Honestly, I don't really see the appeal of Hipstamatic. You can spot images taken with it miles away because everybody's using the same "lenses".

I'd rather post-process the photos manually if I wanted to achieve a certain effect.
At least on Iphone, nothing really seems to offer quite the same quality processed look. I tried swankolab, made by the same people, but it doesn't even look close the same.

osknoes said:
I've looking for a camera for a while, and after reading some reviews, etc I almost decided to go with the Panasonic Lumix DMC-G10 (around 450$). Also, the Sony Alpha NEX-3 looks pretty cool. What do you guys think about it ? Any suggestions ?
Just for the record, I'm just starting to get into photography, and portability is quite a big deal for me.

Thanks.
NEX3 is about the same as NEX5, just a bit bigger and with plastic case, instead of magnezium, and it makes 720 resolution videos instead of 1080. As you can see, I am suitably impressed with Nex5. Overjoyed more like. Being a 4/3 camera, it should be in the same class as G10, but it's smaller, and I much prefer the aesthetic of NEX cameras, and tech specs are pretty much all on its side too.

Fun fact about NEX cameras, they have LCD with 50% larger resolution than Iphone 4, on a physically smaller screen. Retina display for real this time, as individual pixels are actually impossible to see (I can see them quite easily on Iphone with non-antialiased graphics).

NEX actually uses a bigger format than micro 4/3rds, despite the smaller body size. the screen is nuts, yeah - i think it's 720p, though i might be wrong about that. i find it harder to see pixels on the iphone 4, though, because the NEX menu text isn't anti-aliased.

i think i got some pretty cool shots out of the slrmagic lens today, will post later if anyone's interested! it's a lot of fun to use, if a little extreme. definitely think it's worth the price for anyone with a NEX.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
sad to hear that Oly's leaving the entry-mid level DSLR segment. now, to sell my E520 gear or not...

123rl

killertofu said:
Does anyone have a Gorillapod? How do you guys like it?

I love mine. I use it with a Canon 50D and fairly heavy lenses and it is brilliant. It's saved so many photos and it's flexible enough to be used in so many ways

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom