• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
345triangle said:
so here are some SLR magic shots i took on the way to and from work today:

anyway as you can see it's, uh, quirky.
Can you make a video using that lens, preferably of you moving forward while filming? From the looks of it that's going to look trippy as hell.

Lord Error said:
Can you make a video using that lens, preferably of you moving forward while filming? From the looks of it that's going to look trippy as hell.

okay, i'll do that next time i take it out...it'd actually be pretty cool for recording certain (very slow-moving) things, i think, because of the extremely selective focus.

Stalfos said:
Yeah that thing is incredibly soft around the edges.

yeah, though all these shots were done wide open because i wanted to maximise whatever it is that it does to the best effect - it does sharpen out significantly across the frame if you close it down a bit, though.

Blackhead

Redarse
345triangle said:
i have one, don't use it a lot but it's as much tripod as i need. it's a great thing to be able to throw into a bag even if you're not sure you'll need it.

plus it makes a good ipad stand!
It does?! How do you set that up?

like so:

yu11Tl.jpg

XZjDCl.jpg

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
scorcho said:
sad to hear that Oly's leaving the entry-mid level DSLR segment. now, to sell my E520 gear or not...

Yeah... I am kind of pissed. I have a 510 with 3 lenses and now I am debating sticking with it even though they apparently not making any more lenses for it and the bodies are pretty much, too. The E-5 they announced is kind of a joke spec wise compared to the price range on the market from Nikon or Canon. :(

Are any of the other lens manufacturers still making 4/3rds lenses? :(

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
AlteredBeast said:
The E-5 they announced is kind of a joke spec wise compared to the price range on the market from Nikon or Canon. :(
its actually not but i think you should just switch if it concerns you that much.

Charred Greyface said:
Thanks! Do you think the gorillapod will be able to support an iPad if you use the suction cup clip? Can you rotate it?

my gorillapod is the one designed for smaller cameras, so i doubt it, but maybe the SLR version could do it? and if by "can you rotate it" you mean "can you use the ipad horizontally", sure.

UnluckyKate said:
Damn, I love that bokeh effect all around your pictures. Is it the lens or post prod ?

it's all the lens, i edited the levels a bit in iphoto but nothing else.

MickD

Considering the D3100. Heard there is no stereo sound? WTF? This will be a deal breaker for me. I'm mainly buying it for video and a still camera second.

Thoughts? Do not want to go to Canon.

callous

MickD said:
Considering the D3100. Heard there is no stereo sound? WTF? This will be a deal breaker for me. I'm mainly buying it for video and a still camera second.

If video is your main thing, it seems rather foolish to rule out the company that so far does video the best.

Anyway, how about a GH1 or upcoming GH2?

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
MickD said:

Depending on what kind of video you're going to be making, you could always record sound separate into a digital recorder. I've got the Zoom H4N and like it a lot, although phantom power can drain the batteries quick.

VNZ

MickD said:

Using the built-in mic for any quality audio is not an option anyway so it shouldn't be a deal breaker. That said, if you're mainly buying a DSLR for video it is odd to rule out Canon.

captive

callous said:
If video is your main thing, it seems rather foolish to rule out the company that so far does video the best.

Panasonic IS the company that does it best.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
callous said:

GH1 (and the even better but not out yet GH2) sound perfect for a video focused approach. Compact, kit lens optimised for video (stepless apeture changes, quiet, continuous AF).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
345triangle said:
NEX actually uses a bigger format than micro 4/3rds, despite the smaller body size..

yep, APS-C - same size as most full DSLRs, which is nuts in such a small body.

Still not decided what to buy. NEX 5 and hope the lenses flesh out nicely, and maybe update to a NEX7 if they add an EVF, or a micro 4/3 like the G2 which feels really nice in the hand, and has a slightly better lens range (although still no portrait primes), and has a great EVF..

I think I just need to flip a coin and jump in. Can always change later on anyway - maybe a benefit of fewer lenses is that I won't spend a fortune on glass :p

MickD

Glad I brought this up. Thanks for all the help so far. My main focus is video, just sick of using big video only cameras. Want to take a jump. I do this professionally, not filming, just editing. This will be used for personal green screen use & possibly for hip hop shows/skate/art videos... Practice. Of course I would be taking stills, but that is not the main use. I'm also a extremely minimal person, I don't want a lot of lame attachments that look like frankenstein for shooting vids, doubt this is possible :/

The only reason keeping me from something like a T2i or GH1 is the loyalty with Nikon lens, plus I have a few already. Just wanted to stay with a brand. Wish I had these 3100vs7000vsT2ivsGH1 hands on.. ya know?

ChryZ

It's great that they addressed many complaints about the NEX firmware/interface. I checked out the download site and instructions. They use a win/mac app for the update? I hate such OS depended stuff. For my Panny I just need to unzip the firmware image to the SD card, power up the cam and it will install the new firmware. It's even possible under linux ;)

I'm still interested in the NEX body, but not so much in any of its current e glass.

It's always interesting to see how much activity cams enjoy on flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/cameras/brands/

cam / # of items / avg daily
NEX-3 / 174,909 / 74
NEX-5 / 360,725 / 147
DMC-GF1 / 2,226,534 / 425
DMC-GH1 / 486,892 / 58
E-P1 / 1,381,159 / 205
E-P2 / 255,289 / 73
E-PL1 / 486,587 / 160

Not too bad.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
The Carl Zeiss NEX glass should be interesting. I hope they're full frame though, just in case Sony does come out with a Full Frame NEX camera :D

But the NEX series of cameras look like a great body to pair with legacy glass. My next camera purchase will probably be a 5D but I'll probably want a smaller camera to take along at times and the NEX looks interesting.

Danielsan

Got my Nikon D3100 today. Spend some good time messing checking out some DSLR beginners guide videos as well as messing with the settings while taking photographs. It will probably be a good while before I fully graps everything but I think I'm beginning to get decent understanding of the basics.

The D3100 came with a 18mm-55mm f3.5/5.5 kit-lens which will probably serve me fine for the time being as I try to get basics of exposure and composition down, but I'm really into photography with a narrow depth of field. Would a Nikon 50mm f1.8 be a good lens to get for getting the narrow depth of field photographs that I want?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00005LEN4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

And are there any other tools and items that are essential for beginners?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Danielsan said:
Would it a Nikon 50mm f1.8 be a good lens to get for getting the narrow depth of field photographs that I want?

Yes. All fast 50's are pretty much act as an entry level lens to Thin Depth of Field photography.

Danielsan said:
The D3100 came with a 18mm-55mm f3.5/5.5 kit-lens which will probably serve me fine for the time being as I try to get basics of exposure and composition down, but I'm really into photography with a narrow depth of field. Would a Nikon 50mm f1.8 be a good lens to get for getting the narrow depth of field photographs that I want?

Another lens to consider would be the Nikkor 35/1.8 DX. A bit more expensive, with DoF slightly less thin than a 50/1.8, but IMO 35 is a more overall useful focal length on a crop camera than 50. Maybe try setting your kit zoom to 50, shooting for a while without zooming in or out, then setting it to 35 and doing the same, to get an idea of the perspective and "feel" of the two focal lengths before buying a prime lens.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Valkyr Junkie said:
Maybe look into some basic filters as well.

especially if you want to play with video. Some screw-in ND filters would be useful. If you want to use lenses wide open to get thin DoF, then that usually means a fast shutter speed. Thats fine for stills usually, but for video if the shutter speed is too fast it can give a really odd look to things. In order to have a slow enough shutter speed with a wide aperture on a bright day, you can use an ND filter to cut down the amount of light entering the camera.

50mm 1.8 is a no brainer both on Nikon and Canon. Nice and cheap and good to play with DoF. Then later when you get used to what you want to shoot you can work out whether you want longer/shorter/faster/slower/zoomier etc.

Danielsan

chaostrophy said:
Another lens to consider would be the Nikkor 35/1.8 DX. A bit more expensive, with DoF slightly less thin than a 50/1.8, but IMO 35 is a more overall useful focal length on a crop camera than 50. Maybe try setting your kit zoom to 50, shooting for a while without zooming in or out, then setting it to 35 and doing the same, to get an idea of the perspective and "feel" of the two focal lengths before buying a prime lens.
This seems like really sound advice, thanks. I will definitely play around with the kit lens to see whether I'd prefer a 35mm lens. The 35mm is about twice as expensive, but still within an acceptable range as far a lens prices are concerned.

I'll also look into getting some basic filters, a tripod, cleaning cloths and perhaps a handy camera bag.

i bought a bunch of super-cheap toy cameras today, going to to take them to kyoto at the weekend and see how it goes - i've literally never loaded a roll of film in my life, so it should be fun. like this one:

ikimono_red.jpg

christ knows where i'm going to get 110 film a) developed and b) replenished, but hey, i'm good for 24 shots at least.

Alucrid

Banned
So the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 is out of stock on Amazon and I was really hoping to get it tomorrow with 1 day shipping since I'm heading to the beach tomorrow night. Are there any other lenses just as good that I can get off Amazon? I really want a nice fixed lens to play around with down there.

Alucrid said:
So the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 is out of stock on Amazon and I was really hoping to get it tomorrow with 1 day shipping since I'm heading to the beach tomorrow night. Are there any other lenses just as good that I can get off Amazon? I really want a nice fixed lens to play around with down there.

Not for that price... what are you willing to spend?

Stalfos

Alucrid said:
They have it for $105.50 from Willoughby's but its fulfilled through Amazon so you can get 1 day shipping.

Alucrid

Banned
Stalfos said:
They have it for $105.50 from Willoughby's but its fulfilled through Amazon so you can get 1 day shipping.

Awesome, thanks. For some reason I thought whatever store Amazon fulfills through would be like...second on the list. I ended up getting it from another seller for $100 though. Thanks again. :D

Apparently Best Buy (particularly the one just down the street from my place) has broken the street date on the Nikon D7000 kit...tempting to get one but I don't need the kit lens and the $1500 retail price kinda hurts (a lot!). Also I don't want to deal with having to sell those lens and have to pay sales tax here in SoCal. I have the body pre-ordered on Amazon for $1200 but have no idea when that is going to come out.

The only reason I'd want to get one right now is to be able to use it for my friends' wedding this month on the 29th...if Amazon can't deliver the goods by then I'm canceling my pre-order and just get it later (and hopefully street prices can drop a little bit too after release).

captive

Lightroom experts, is there anyway i can tell lightroom to automatically strip the caption from photos when importing them from the camera? OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA is annoying to have to take off of all pictures i export or if i forget its more annoying to have to take it off as the caption on flickr/my website.

Lee N

Membre
captive said:
Lightroom experts, is there anyway i can tell lightroom to automatically strip the caption from photos when importing them from the camera? OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA is annoying to have to take off of all pictures i export or if i forget its more annoying to have to take it off as the caption on flickr/my website.
When exporting, there's a checkbox that says "minimize embedded metadata". This option should keep extra fluff like that down to a minimum.

gimmmick

Thinking about purchasing a canon powershot s95 to replace my current point and shoot. Is it a good buy for 400? (seems expensive for a point and shoot camera, but my other canon lasted me 4 years and was very happy with my investment). I heard the biggest upgraded from last year was the 720p recording.

i would say it's as good a point and shoot as you're going to get, but for that kind of money you should be really really sure that a point and shoot is what you want considering you already have one.

gimmmick

345triangle said:
i would say it's as good a point and shoot as you're going to get, but for that kind of money you should be really really sure that a point and shoot is what you want considering you already have one.

Most important thing for me is being portable and being able into my pants pockets when I go out. I was eying the g12, but the sensor is the the same as the s95 if I'm not mistaken. That and you really can't take anywhere without a pack or what not.

gimmmick said:
Thinking about purchasing a canon powershot s95 to replace my current point and shoot. Is it a good buy for 400? (seems expensive for a point and shoot camera, but my other canon lasted me 4 years and was very happy with my investment). I heard the biggest upgraded from last year was the 720p recording.
Have you also considered the Panasonic LX5? It's a little pricier and a little more bulkier, but provides more manual control and a little more wider angle if that's what you're looking for. I just got it for my wife just recently, I'm amazed at how much you can do with it for a compact point and shoot.

But yeah, invest in a higher-end P&S if you're going to take advantage of its more advanced features...if not, save your cash and stick with your current P&S for now (unless you like to have a smaller form factor than what you have...just get a cheaper, smaller camera overall).

Edit: Yeah, the LX5 might be a little too big for you compared to the S95.

i'd take the s95 over the g12, that's for sure - same sensor, faster lens, more convenient, that awesome control ring etc. if not fitting in a jeans pocket is really a dealbreaker then i think it's definitely your best option.

gimmmick

GamePnoy74 said:
Have you also considered the Panasonic LX5? It's a little pricier and a little more bulkier, but provides more manual control and a little more wider angle if that's what you're looking for. I just got it for my wife just recently, I'm amazed at how much you can do with it for a compact point and shoot.

But yeah, invest in a higher-end P&S if you're going to take advantage of its more advanced features...if not, save your cash and stick with your current P&S for now (unless you like to have a smaller form factor than what you have...just get a cheaper, smaller camera overall).

I'll check it out. I just go with canon because I have never had a problem with them over the years. Basically in the end, I need something that takes shots very well in low light situations since most of the time I go out, it's after work. (everything in Vegas starts after 11pm :lol ).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom