• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Daily Show Thread with Jon Stewart

AVclub

LOL! I just clicked on this thread to see if there was something interesting happening and now I'm turning my TV back on to check out tonights show on DVR. YOU BETTER NOT BE YANKING MY CHAIN, GAF! :D

I thought the interview with the tea party kid was better than the Bernie retort. I'm betting that Jon is pissed that he didn't simply have him on for the entire show. He was having a tough time being restrained and not just absolutely annihilate every single syllable that came out of that kid's mouth. Seriously, every single thing that kid said was bullshit. Hell he lied about the recent tea party polls - no they're not an even bunch of Dems, Republicans, and independents, and you can't not know that Jon already knows that.

AVclub

That was pretty funny. I like when Stewart gets all worked up. I thought the choir was more of a distraction than anything though. A lot of their gags fell flat because of poor timing.

Fatalah

Tonight was brilliance. The Daily Show at its best, Jon in top form.

You can't dismantle FoxNews any better than he did tonight. The 'fair and balanced' tagline is mind boggling, and the network is becoming very dangerous. Might as well rename the TeaParty movement after them.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
Ready Up Already said:
I thought the interview with the tea party kid was better than the Bernie retort. I'm betting that Jon is pissed that he didn't simply have him on for the entire show. He was having a tough time being restrained and not just absolutely annihilate every single syllable that came out of that kid's mouth. Seriously, every single thing that kid said was bullshit. Hell he lied about the recent tea party polls - no they're not an even bunch of Dems, Republicans, and independents, and you can't not know that Jon already knows that.
It almost seemed to me like he just had the guy on because he wanted to prove how conciliatory he was to people with different ideas. He seemed to be much more restrained than usual, because there were multiple avenues of attack that he could have gone down. He could have brought up the conservative nature of the healthcare bill, how often something similar to the bill was supported by conservative congressmen, thinktanks, and state governors, and he could have questioned how many people in the healthcare polls actually understood the bill.

And anyway, I would have to see that "Tea Party poll", but it seemed shady to me. I believe that the guest said 50% were identified as Republicans. How many actually identified as Democrats then? How many have actual "progressive ideals" (for lack of a better word)? How many of those independents are Republicans who just don't want to be attached to that brand name for whatever reason?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Mgoblue201 said:
And anyway, I would have to see that "Tea Party poll", but it seemed shady to me. I believe that the guest said 50% were identified as Republicans. How many actually identified as Democrats then? How many have actual "progressive ideals" (for lack of a better word)? How many of those independents are Republicans who just don't want to be attached to that brand name for whatever reason?

IIRC it was something like 6% democrats. The rest were repubs and "independents." And something like 89% called themselves "conservatives"

YyrsC.gif

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Just watched the latest episode.

Brilliant, absolutely brilliant Jon :lol.

Loved it.

I liked the interview very much. Very civil.

The O'Hara fellow seemed nice and genuine, but he seemed somewhat in denial about some aspects about the Tea Party.

No doubt he meant the things he said on a personal level.

kikanny

Wow! That episode was fucking awesome. IMO, that was his best one this year. Really great and epic! Hey Fox news, Go Fuck Yourselves! :lol

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
evlcookie said:
What's so crazy about todays episode? Details people, less :lol :lol :lol 's!

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I missed it too, guess I'll watch the rerun @ 1AM.

Fusebox

Banned
Just caught up with my recordings of Stewbeef, holy shit at the epic owning of Fox. 'Go f**k yourself' is my new favourite gospel song. I was in hysterics.

Also the British/US election debate comparison... :lol

Firestorm

Haven't had time to watch anything at all this week and decided to start on my backlog with Tuesday's episode due to all the comments here. Now, the moment of zen, the Iceland comment... I cannot believe that these people can become news anchors. They are people who are paid to disseminate information for millions upon millions of people >_<

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
John Stewart's speech tonight on The Daily Show about the censorship of the South Park episode and freedom of speech was fucking brilliant.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Can someone sum it up? I missed it.

Jon Stewart opens talking about fellow comedy central employees Matt Stone and Trey Parker received death threats from an extremist Islamic group. John explains that this group is located in New York City of all places... in fact in the shadow of the former trade towers. This group openly supports Osama Bin Laden and 9/11. They are allowed to do this and enjoy the benefits of living in this country because of America's Freedom of Speech, the same freedom of speech they are infringing on. Jon Stewart explains that they have made fun of plenty of religious groups on the show and have never received death threats. Cue EPIC montage making fun of Jewish people, Christians, Buddhists, Hindus and Atheist. Jon brings Aasiv Mandvi onto the show that explains that he is a liberal Muslim and even though he may have been slightly offended by the show, he is even more offended by a group under his religion sending death threats to another human being. Aasif leaves and then Jon explains that he wants to call this group a certain phrase.... but he doesn't want to say the term in the same way he says it about groups like Fox News and others. Jon states that no matter what Fox News says, they are still decent human beings and people he disagrees with. He explains that this group of people is nowhere near that. He then busts out a gospel choir singing "GO FUCK YOURSELF"

Hope I summed it up decently

My favorite one-line dig from Jon is this gem from 2005:

"...and to you, Bill O'Reilly, Feliz Navidad. Although I'm sure you're concerned that THAT'S getting too prevalent in this country as well...

Trojita said:
Jon Stewart opens talking about fellow comedy central employees Matt Stone and Trey Parker received death threats from an extremist Islamic group. John explains that this group is located in New York City of all places... in fact in the shadow of the former trade towers. This group openly supports Osama Bin Laden and 9/11. They are allowed to do this and enjoy the benefits of living in this country because of America's Freedom of Speech, the same freedom of speech they are infringing on. Jon Stewart explains that they have made fun of plenty of religious groups on the show and have never received death threats. Cue EPIC montage making fun of Jewish people, Christians, Buddhists, Hindus and Atheist. Jon brings Aasiv Mandvi onto the show that explains that he is a liberal Muslim and even though he may have been slightly offended by the show, he is even more offended by a group under his religion sending death threats to another human being. Aasif leaves and then Jon explains that he wants to call this group a certain phrase.... but he doesn't want to say the term in the same way he says it about groups like Fox News and others. Jon states that no matter what Fox News says, they are still decent human beings and people he disagrees with. He explains that this group of people is nowhere near that. He then busts out a gospel choir singing "GO FUCK YOURSELF"

Hope I summed it up decently

WOW, thats epic! I haven't watched the Daily Show since 2002, but I'm turning on for the 1AM showing. Thanks!

Jeels

I'm happy they got Aasif Mandvi on to defend the fact that its understandable that its offensive, but that what these people are doing is much worse. Very balanced.

GaimeGuy

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
WOW, thats epic! I haven't watched the Daily Show since 2002, but I'm turning on for the 1AM showing. Thanks!
The fuck?

GaimeGuy

bosskoss21 said:
show gets better as he continues to not be as liberal as before
no, it's just that his target has shifted from the administration to the media.

Pancakes

Just watched Thursday's episode.

I love Jon Stewart soooo much :lol :lol.

Thomper

Anyone see Colbert last night? The video's not up on the Colbert-website yet, but... let's just say he had World's Greatest Pun last night, and proceded to celebrate it in... his own way. That was epic and awesome. :lol

mernst23

Thomper said:
Anyone see Colbert last night? The video's not up on the Colbert-website yet, but... let's just say he had World's Greatest Pun last night, and proceded to celebrate it in... his own way. That was epic and awesome. :lol

Up on colbertnation.com

Current Events - Taser-Armed Robots & Meth Sheep is what the clip is called.

Quite possible the greatest thing ever. :lol

mernst23 said:
Up on colbertnation.com

And totally out of nowhere. The pun itself was bad (like all good puns are), but the celebration just took it to another level. It started kind of funny, but the finale just sealed the deal.

Pancakes

Someone GIF that "Greatest pun of all time" sequence :lol.

Tacitus_

mernst23 said:
Up on colbertnation.com

Oh wow, I'm speechless :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Pankaks said:
Someone GIF that "Greatest pun of all time" sequence :lol.
It is too long to properly make a GIF out of. If you mean just the balloon drop then it is fine. The awesomeness after that is too long to contain into one decent sized gif.

Pancakes

PhoncipleBone said:
It is too long to properly make a GIF out of. If you mean just the balloon drop then it is fine. The awesomeness after that is too long to contain into one decent sized gif.

Yea, just the balloons.

Top Bottom