• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Daily Show Thread with Jon Stewart

Z_Y

Zenith said:
Does TDS go through Silly Season as well? It's been pretty much non-stop Fox rebuttal segments.

Well when they (Fox) pull the shit that they did on Monday...how do you let that go?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Zenith said:
Does TDS go through Silly Season as well? It's been pretty much non-stop Fox rebuttal segments.
They focus on Fox because Fox pushes this image of being a fair, balanced, unbiased, nonpartisan news station, while at the same time implying that all other news sources are lying liberal indoctrinators, and every day, Fox proves just how ridiculous of a "news" station it really is. It's a comedy gold mine, and the jokes write themselves (see: the whole mosque funding thing for example)

And although every sane person knows this, mostly everyone kind of ignores it, and it goes unaddressed by respected journalists and members of the other news organizations either because they don't want to talk about their competition or because they're afraid of pissing sponsors or their readers/viewers off. TDS (and The Colbert Report, to a lesser extent) is basically the only professional or widely-distributed outlet which challenges fox's legitimacy. Every other challenge is done in family table discussions or online chat/forums. The people at The Daily Show probably feel like since it's a good source for comedy AND no one else seems to be pointing out the big elephant in the room, why not focus on it? Especially since it points out a lot of the frustrations that the target audience of TDS has in general with politics and the TV News Media. I won't call it cynicism because it isn't contempt or pessimism as much as it is disappointment.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Zenith said:

I have to say it's gotten better recently (Since he bearded up and then shaved it), but he's still got an obsession with them. Their segment last night was great, but for me at least lost some impact because it was still "Fox news is stupid and hypocritical".

How can you hate on that epic ownage?

They implicated their own owner as a terrorist!!

And the part where the woman didn't know what ignoramus meant, Googled it and still got it wrong? Fox is gold Jerry, gold! I propose a 24 hour Fox Rifftrax channel. It would honestly never get old.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
LiveFromKyoto said:
How can you hate on that epic ownage? The woman didn't know what ignoramus meant, Googled it and still got it wrong. Fox is gold Jerry, gold! I propose a 24 hour Fox Rifftrax channel. It would honestly never get old.

It has for me, and the rifftrax guys would know better than to jump on the one easy joke. One of the MST3K making of specials pointed out that they had to make sure when making fun of bad monster movies, not to just make fun of the bad monster suit.

Like I said though, that segment was great, and overall he's moved onto better things the last few weeks (said it plenty of times before in this thread, but I like Daily Show when they make fun of the news, not the reporting of the news), but we already know Fox is terrible. I was honestly more impressed with the Blago interview. Still can't figure out how he thought that would be a good idea.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
FlightOfHeaven said:
When someone keeps saying incredibly stupid things over and over, at some point you've gotta talk about it.
But do you have to talk about it every day in most of your segments for months on end, to the point where you even make jokes about yourself taking the easy way out with your writing?

Zenith

Banned
Z_Y said:
Well when they (Fox) pull the shit that they did on Monday...how do you let that go?

but they do it every day. It's always just show a clip of Fox & Friends and then point out the obvious. The jokes are so lazy. There are other issues going on.

GaimeGuy

Tamanon said:
This mosque segment is hilarious. That anti-mosque woman is incredibly insane.:lol
The whole time I was thinking of michellebatshitinsane.gif

Is it on now in the US? Can anyone please give me a summary :( I can't watch it here in the UK. I already heard about the recent episodes with Fox implicating their owner.

Meus Renaissance said:
Is it on now in the US? Can anyone please give me a summary :( I can't watch it here in the UK. I already heard about the recent episodes with Fox implicating their owner.

Muslims apparently want to target Nashville with motherships

B.K.

I wanted to watch repeats of last night's episode today, but missed everyone. Did they bleep out any of the slurs during the first half of the show that they left uncensored last night?

Door2Dawn

Banned
Tamanon said:
This mosque segment is hilarious. That anti-mosque woman is incredibly insane.:lol
I seriously thought it was a joke interview or something. I fucking laughed so hard when he mentioned that he was a muslim, and she responded by saying "No one is perfect".

Meus Renaissance said:

Do you not have access to More 4, it is on there at 8:30 every-night with a one day delay - what was on in the US last night is on More 4 tonight

More 4 is on Freeview, Freesat, Sky Digital, TalkTalk TV and Virgin... you have to have one of those :/

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
That Matrix line from Colbert shouldn't have made me laugh as hard as it did. :lol :lol :lol

Edit: Old episode. My DVR says it's new....

markot

Banned
bathala said:
They are out for 10 days. I think they do 27 shows then break?
Feels like they are off more nowadays >.< maybe its just me.

I mean, they already get fridays off >.>!

GaimeGuy

They must have the equivalent of ~17-20 weeks of vacation per year.

I'm not sure if this has been discussed, but there's been something of a grass roots movement to get Colbert to hold a satirical rally on either 10-10-10 or 10-11-10 (Columbus Day) tentatively titled "Restoring Truthiness." So far he hasn't commented on the requests, but a guy on reddit was going to be in the audience today and apparently was going to get to ask him a question before the show. Supposedly he was going to ask about the idea of a rally, to confirm that Colbert knows about it. Anyway, this would be awesome.

Article about it.

Top Bottom