• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Daily Show Thread with Jon Stewart

Clevinger

He does and I agree with that, but as he points out, he gets called out for being lazy, unproffessional and "ruining his brand" for making fun of the fact that USA is planning to get out of its financial debt with a trillion-billion-whatever dollar coin. To the rest of the world, this is proving the stereotype that USA is a really silly nation.

First, we're not getting out of our debt. Second, the fact that we might have to resort to this coin plan because our economy is being held hostage by an insane political party is proving the "USA really is a silly, stupid nation" stereotype, not the coin plan itself.

And the coin plan doesn't even sound silly if you know much about our monetary policy, in the same way that "The US Treasury is just like a family budget" sounds logical but is incredibly stupid if you know much about US economics and the way we use money.

Keasar

I see. While I can understand the coin is reasonable in a legal and economic view and I don't have much knowledge how the USA handles money, for me as a viewer from across the ocean it all is still really comedic. So it will probably help the nation, that I get, its just that the coin is funny, so I think Krugman lost his own sense of humor in that moment (if he had it). Like the next time an American ambassador comes into the UN they will ask him to go buy everyone of them some snacks from the vending machine, because he probably now has the change for it.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
God damn, all this gun control talking is painful to watch. Especially FOX News' endless evocations of Godwin's law.

God damn, all this gun control talking is painful to watch. Especially FOX News' endless evocations of Godwin's law.

The clip with the guy from fox news saying that if black people had guns, slavery wouldn't had happened... I just... I was hoping that people were not that stupid.

udllpn

These past two episodes reminded me why I love The Daily Show. The sections about the ATF and the White House proposals about gun control were incredible.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
First, we're not getting out of our debt. Second, the fact that we might have to resort to this coin plan because our economy is being held hostage by an insane political party is proving the "USA really is a silly, stupid nation" stereotype, not the coin plan itself.

And the coin plan doesn't even sound silly if you know much about our monetary policy, in the same way that "The US Treasury is just like a family budget" sounds logical but is incredibly stupid if you know much about US economics and the way we use money.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say the coin plan should sound silly to you regardless of how much economic expertise you have.
The idea for the Treasury Department to mint a coin and send it to the Federal Reserve in order to pay off the debt was first popularized by Populist Presidential Candidate Bo Gritz in 1992. As a standard part of his stump speeches, he would hold up a 5" example coin.[9][10] The specific concept was first introduced by Carlos Mucha, a lawyer who commented under the name "beowulf" on various blogs.
"Beowulf" would later tell Wired magazine that the coin idea came from a December 2009 Wall Street Journal article that talked about how several people were able to generate frequent-flyer miles at no cost by ordering coins from the U.S. Mint with a credit card offering mileage rewards and then depositing the coins at a bank to pay off the credit card debt.[33] He also said that he was inspired by a 2008 book, Web of Debt, by Ellen Brown, which quoted a former Treasury official who said the government could order the printing of large coins to pay off the national debt. "Beowulf" said the trillion dollar coin idea is more rightly attributed to a small discussion group than to an individual, adding that the group was "just in it for the lulz".[34]
Essentially the whole "let's make a coin thing" is a spotlight on a hilarious loophole in the United States Code that allows for a coin of theoretically any value to be minted as long as it's made of platinum. It also serves as a legitimate philosophical exercise on the nature of our debt, the debt celing and the role of the federal reserve.

It's funny, and interesting, to consider that such a thing is legal and could technically cirumvent the debt-celing fight. But outside of the rhetorical world minting such a coin would do considerably damage to the balance of the three branches of government, as it would bypass both congressional oversight and be largely immune to any judicial challenge. It's a valid thought experiment to embark on when discussing the state of our economy, but taken seriously as a solution it's perfectly viable fodder for Jon Stewart to target. The fact that the Fed and the Treasury have already rejected the idea (and had to) should be indicative enough of this.

The real issue I had with his original bit was the mention of the "100 Quillion dollar bill," the one with the centaur. The hard limits on paper currency take a little of the sting out of that joke.

Keasar

Glenn Beck talks this stuff and nobody at FOX thinks about calling a mental institute? Additionally, people hear FOX air this stuff and nobody is calling in everyone on FOX to a mental institute?

Glenn Beck talks this stuff and nobody at FOX thinks about calling a mental institute? Additionally, people hear FOX air this stuff and nobody is calling in everyone on FOX to a mental institute?

He no longer works at fox. He hasn't for like a year or more.

Dram

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TheBlaze_TV
TheBlaze TV, or TheBlaze, formerly GBTV, is a libertarian news and entertainment Internet streaming / satellite television network founded by talk radio personality Glenn Beck. It is available primarily through internet streaming at its website theblaze.com/tv. On September 12, 2012, Dish Network started offering TheBlaze on its lineup, marking the first traditional television medium to broadcast the channel.

The Sam Bee women in military segment had me in stitches.

"Have you ever actually met a woman before?"
"Several."
"A woman that didn't want to strangle you?"

The Glenn Beck stuff was amazing the other night. He's such a deluded psycho.

I miss the days when he was on Fox and featured more.

That was actually depressing to watch, it was like watching some tinfoil conspiracy nut air his shit from a nuclear bunker, muttering "guys, guys, for real let's build this, it'll change everything for the better".

nubbe

It is so awesome to see that the greatest dream for a freedom champion is to build his own communist collective.

LOL

ibezDLLwCfoGMS.jpg

JDSN

Banned
Accepting her statement and making the distinction was breaking character for me, its hilarious how he kind got tricked into doing so all by himself.

Jintor

No, he didn't. He was saying he was in character as her when he said "Does this little Hispanic girl have the same opportunities as I did?"

But, yeah, when he does break character it's awesome. The video of him and John Kerry backstage is great.

The Prince Charles banana incident is still the absolute best incident of corpsing I've ever seen

Yen

"Faith-time is like Chatroulette but with fewer dongs."
"Shouldn't that be "no dongs.""
"Yes, Jon. Yes it should."

Top Bottom