• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Daily Show Thread with Jon Stewart

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Will be hard to put this in a non offensive manner, but how can you live in a country where "journalists" or "politicians" are allowed to say something like that without any consequences? The saddening part is, that woman(I don't know her) most likely will not get fired or anything for saying that.
I mean it's not like Fox News are only watched by a couple of hundred people.

The woman is Ann Coulter, who made her entire career saying horrible things like that.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Will be hard to put this in a non offensive manner, but how can you live in a country where "journalists" or "politicians" are allowed to say something like that without any consequences? The saddening part is, that woman(I don't know her) most likely will not get fired or anything for saying that.
I mean it's not like Fox News are only watched by a couple of hundred people.
She is not a politician, a journalist, or an employee of Fox News. She is a troll. And I mean that in the professional sense. Ann Coulter's occupation is troll. Feel free to look her up, but naught but frustration awaits you.

I still have a ton to catch up on but that segment from Wednesday (FOX jettisoning the Bill of Righs one amendment at a time... except, you know, one which is absolute) was outstanding.

Jintor

I do agree with you on this and the law can be altered. Saying the Second Amendment is just words on paper is doing it a disservice because while that is partially true, (The Constitutions is a parchment) it is part of the highest law of the land and changing that is not going to be easy.

That's kind of funny [on a non-gun related note] relative to the Australian Constitution which has only been modified 8 times since its creation since it requires requires a double majority referendum [majority of population + majority of states].

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
There's no logical fallacy. Question: can gun control work. Answer: empirically, yes.

The question of whether it would work in the United States is much more complex, due to the Second Amendment, our history with/fetish for guns, and the massive number of guns already in circulation.

The point of the series was not to address all of those issues (it would have taken a lot longer), but to address some common anti-gun control tenets: that it doesn't work, that crime rates go up, "only outlaws will have guns," etc etc. To that end, the series succeeds spectacularly.
My name is Hawkian, and I endorse the shit out of this message.

Catching up now, I just got this tidbit:
That's the thing about a moral compass: if you take it out from time to time, you don't need to wait for history to tell you you're facing the wrong direction.
Damn.

Keasar

I seriously want a gif out of that Colbert "Heyoo! *slap*"

Good idea, but I have no GIF skills.

heyoooodugz.gif

Gifcam now improves life.

Also on todays Colbert Report: Holy shit at that Bob Davis, my eyes were about to pop out of my skull in disbelief.

The VA piece by Sam Bee and all the other correspondents is awesome. It's a true shame how American troops are being left by the wayside by the VA. This is a pretty rad piece though. Lol @ the NVG gear and infiltrating the VA.

ericexpo

The VA piece by Sam Bee and all the other correspondents is awesome. It's a true shame how American troops are being left by the wayside by the VA. This is a pretty rad piece though. Lol @ the NVG gear and infiltrating the VA.

A while ago i worked on a bunch of housing for veterans, nice apartments in townhouses. After it was finished they never got funding to move any vets in, they been vacant for 2 years now.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.

I really didn't think the piece itself was that great. Good on the Daily show for highlighting this massive failure though. Such a shame.

Oh and Colbert's interview with Ben Kingsley was awkward as fuck. I really dislike the way Colbert 'interviews' people. Usually I turn it off after the 2nd segment to spare myself the agony but I like Kingsley.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Tuesday's episode was particularly good.
Does anyone know when Oliver takes over for the summer?

There's no logical fallacy. Question: can gun control work. Answer: empirically, yes.

The question of whether it would work in the United States is much more complex, due to the Second Amendment, our history with/fetish for guns, and the massive number of guns already in circulation.

The point of the series was not to address all of those issues (it would have taken a lot longer), but to address some common anti-gun control tenets: that it doesn't work, that crime rates go up, "only outlaws will have guns," etc etc. To that end, the series succeeds spectacularly.

There is the possibility for a logical fallacy upon irrelevant grounds, but only if the daily show was presenting an argument for the implementation of the exact same legislation in the US as the australian parliament. You are both correct, sort of.

I think his point is that the piece has the potential to be pretty misleading to the reactionary anti-gun crowd who will probably just continue to masturbate to their own cause instead of thinking through the issue, which is often the case with daily show segments.

inm8num2

Amazing NRA convention segment last night. Completely ripped them apart.

Bunch of psychotics, those people.

Sometimes I wonder if those Fox News folks are secretly paid by other organizations to say stupid shit in order to provide Stewart, Colbert, and others material for jokes.

Those quotes by Beck, Palin, and others were beyond stupid. They set a new low. And you know it's not so much about them believing that crap as it is selling it to people who do.

They're televangelists. Plain and simple.

Colbert's "Better Know a District" tonight was amazing. The whole ending bit with Colbert as the crazy, racist old woman had me rolling.

Great pair of shows tonight.

I think his point is that the piece has the potential to be pretty misleading to the reactionary anti-gun crowd who will probably just continue to masturbate to their own cause instead of thinking through the issue, which is often the case with daily show segments.
It's probably not healthy for debate to reduce people who are honestly trying to help prevent deaths to "masturbators," even if you disagree with them.

Fusebox

Banned
Amazing NRA convention segment last night. Completely ripped them apart.

Bunch of psychotics, those people.

Unbelievable stuff. I thought the R in NRA stood for Rifle not Republican, it must suck to be a Liberal gun owner in the NRA and have to sit through all that shit.

It was almost like a parody of an NRA convention, each speaker coming out and saying something even dumber and more contradictory than the last.

Tamanon

Banned
I'm a bit surprised as usually Stewart just cherrypicks Fox News clips and bases his entire shows on those. Not saying FN doesn't deserve the criticisms but Stewart is way too reliant on them for his material.

Really? The guy mocks CNN almost daily.

JDSN

Banned
I'm a bit surprised as usually Stewart just cherrypicks Fox News clips and bases his entire shows on those. Not saying FN doesn't deserve the criticisms but Stewart is way too reliant on them for his material.

He finds Fox funny. He fucking loathes CNN with all his heart.

About the CNN bit, I thought it was fairly obvious that the woman on the right was standing in front of a green screen or something. She looked so out of place, her hair especially, she clearly wasn't there in the car park. I have no idea way they were trying to make it look like she was, though.

Just odd.

Jintor

I'm absolutely amazed they didn't do a correspondent segment for the CNN botch. It's the fucking perfect setup. The perfect setup

Jon Oliver on a greenscreen of the Daily Show set itself. God damnit.

MrHicks

Banned
24 hour news channels are retarded
theres no need for 24/7 "news"

its painfully obvious they can't fill airtime so they spend all day/week on some random subject ad nauseum

inm8num2

24 hour news channels are retarded
theres no need for 24/7 "news"

its painfully obvious they can't fill airtime so they spend all day/week on some random subject ad nauseum

My life would be empty and purposeless without the all-knowing Wolf Blitzer reading tweets from random celebrities in his action room.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I'm absolutely amazed they didn't do a correspondent segment for the CNN botch. It's the fucking perfect setup. The perfect setup

Jon Oliver on a greenscreen of the Daily Show set itself. God damnit.

They did poke fun at themselves for doing the same thing.
The difference is that CNN is supposed to be professional, they're a bunch of comedians.

Jintor

I know the difference dude, I'm just saying - the amazingness of a John/Jon correspondent segment there could have been pure gold

Top Bottom