• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official E-Cigarette Thread Of F#ck Analog Cigarettes

Zeth

Getting my Subtank Mini and some Japanese cotton and Kanthal today. First time building my own in a couple years, lol. Will definitely check out some YouTubs.

Rizific

Getting my Subtank Mini and some Japanese cotton and Kanthal today. First time building my own in a couple years, lol. Will definitely check out some YouTubs.

id definitely recommend getting a coil jig like this, or something similar. preferably a kit that gives you the option to make different sized coils. i built using the "old fashioned way" for over a year and let me tell you a jig just makes it so effortless.

For the record, I'm not losing my mind over Diacetyl and other diketones, but I've decided to err on the side of caution. I have a couple hundred ml of custardy-juices that I'm going to finish up and I'm switching to all diketone-free DIY.

I quit smoking and switched to vaping to reduce risk. Evidence so far seems to indicate that diketones *probably* increase risk for permanent lung damage relative to diketone-free vaping.

Some people have pointed out that the 'popcorn lung' cases stem from situations where workers were breathing powdered flavorings that include diacetyl as opposed to vapors or fumes containing diacetyl, but now there are cases of workers at coffee roasters (also produces diacetyl) suffering lung damage. It will certainly take years of research to determine if diacetyl and other diketones in vapor/fume form cause lung damage.

Pete Rock

Man the real hilarious thing to me is that none of this stuff was ever developed for ingestion through lung tissue, so we are all effectively guinea pigs to a certain degree. Personally this just reinforces something I have been feeling for a while but am finally ready to accept.

My lungs were designed to pneumatically interface with air and not liquid of any kind. At no point is there some kind of womb-related aqueous environment leftover cellular programming that can deal with this daily onslaught of foreign fluid. The development of the organism doesn't work that way. Even if we were talking about literal water, which we are not.

I vape about 3-5 ml a day at max 3mg nicotine and have been doing my last hour worth of pulls with 0. I plan to quit by the end of this year at the latest, probably this fall though.

I just got my rDNA 40 and Kanger Subtank Mini. I'm using the 0.5 ohm coil and 18 mg. juice. The first few hits really kicked my throat's, umm throat. This is going to take some getting used to.

Chopper

I just got my rDNA 40 and Kanger Subtank Mini. I'm using the 0.5 ohm coil and 18 mg. juice. The first few hits really kicked my throat's, umm throat. This is going to take some getting used to.
Yeah, you're gonna want to dial down the nic level. Sub-ohming with anything above 6mg is not fun.

Man the real hilarious thing to me is that none of this stuff was ever developed for ingestion through lung tissue, so we are all effectively guinea pigs to a certain degree. Personally this just reinforces something I have been feeling for a while but am finally ready to accept.

I agree absolutely. Nobody should be under the illusion that vaping is harmless. It's extremely likely if not certain that some ingredients will be more 'less harmful' than others, though. I'm willing to adapt as we learn more.

I vape about 3-5 ml a day at max 3mg nicotine and have been doing my last hour worth of pulls with 0. I plan to quit by the end of this year at the latest, probably this fall though.

I'd like to quit eventually also. The fact that my juice consumption literally doubled when I went from 6mg to 3mg probably doesn't bode well for me, though.

Yeah, you're gonna want to dial down the nic level. Sub-ohming with anything above 6mg is not fun.
I'm actually starting to get used to it. I gradually upped the wattage from about 6 to 25 and it's not making me cough. I have a bunch of juice at 24 mg. that I want to get through. I'll probably switch to a higher ohm coil for those though, if they're still good. They've been sitting around for a while.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.

I also got my DNA40 flask today. Rocking my Atlantis with it until the tugboat comes in probably tomorrow. So far I really like it. I'm not sure the temp control works with the Atlantis tank. I thought I read that I have to use nickle wire coils to take advantage of the temp control. So I just set the flask to 18w and it's giving me wonderful hits off the tank.
LtgKQgDl.jpg

I also got my DNA40 flask today. Rocking my Atlantis with it until the tugboat comes in probably tomorrow. So far I really like it. I'm not sure the temp control works with the Atlantis tank. I thought I read that I have to use nickle wire coils to take advantage of the temp control. So I just set the flask to 18w and it's giving me wonderful hits off the tank.
LtgKQgDl.jpg
Yeah, the nickel coils are required to take advantage of temperature control with the DNA 40 mods. It should work just fine, without temperature control, with traditional kanthal coils. I think I read somewhere that nickel coils for Atlantis tanks are coming though.

lustrate

Has anyone tried the Juul by Pax? I want to start vaping, but I don't want the hassle of researching and building my own "kit." It's a new product so user reviews aren't exactly plentiful, but I've read both some good and some bad so far. Both the size and inconspicuousness are huge pluses to me.

for clarification, i want to start vaping as a substitute to cigs, not just because lol

edit: probably going to go with this setup instead

zp0qJJI.png

Anybody else notice a slight machine oil taste when breaking in each new vertical Subtank OCC coil? Never tasted this with the regular horizontal coils. It goes away after a bit and isn't crazy strong but it is there. I know it's machine oil taste, as would almost anybody who has bought cheap dripper atomizers and used them without cleaning them first.

Has anyone tried the Juul by Pax? I want to start vaping, but I don't want the hassle of researching and building my own "kit." It's a new product so user reviews aren't exactly plentiful, but I've read both some good and some bad so far. Both the size and inconspicuousness are huge pluses to me.

for clarification, i want to start vaping as a substitute to cigs, not just because lol

zp0qJJI.png

You have chosen wisely. I couldn't recommend a better setup. And thats a great juice flavor to boot.

Enjoy.

Edit* 24mg juice is really strong. May want to start at 18mg. Depends on heavy of a smoker you are. I smoked a half a pack a day of Parliament Lights and 12mg is right in my sweep spot.

People who smoke Marlboro Reds or Newports may want to start with 18mg.

UMGAWA

Anybody else notice a slight machine oil taste when breaking in each new vertical Subtank OCC coil? Never tasted this with the regular horizontal coils. It goes away after a bit and isn't crazy strong but it is there. I know it's machine oil taste, as would almost anybody who has bought cheap dripper atomizers and used them without cleaning them first.

Nope, id suggest contacting your vendor.

DietRob

Yeah, the nickel coils are required to take advantage of temperature control with the DNA 40 mods. It should work just fine, without temperature control, with traditional kanthal coils. I think I read somewhere that nickel coils for Atlantis tanks are coming though.

Nice news on the Atlantis. I bought a version 2 a few days ago. I hope that those new coils come soon. I'll have to find somewhere local that has nickle wire. I've got some kanthal already.

Very good choice on that starter kit. That juice is aaamazing..
Good luck on your journey to being stinkies free. Make sure to post back here again for encouragement.

Nice news on the Atlantis. I bought a version 2 a few days ago. I hope that those new coils come soon. I'll have to find somewhere local that has nickle wire. I've got some kanthal already.
I just did a quick search and found these: http://www.vaporshark.com/accessories/aspire/aspire-atlantis-nickel-coils

I'm sure you can find them cheaper though, with a bit of effort. I ordered my subtank nickel coils from fasttech for about $10 USD per 5 pack. Fasttech doesn't seem to have the nickel Atlantis coils though.

dream

Nickel coils for the Atlantis have been out for a while, but they're under the VapeOnly brand (because Chinese companies are weird like that):

vairt.png

Sweet-Vapes (which I know nothing about) has them for 10 bucks for 5.

I got some 6 mg juice from a local place and it's so much better than the high nic juice I had. I haven't had an actual smoke since Monday.

Tuvoc

I got some 6 mg juice from a local place and it's so much better than the high nic juice I had. I haven't had an actual smoke since Monday.

Where from? I'm assuming you're in Northeast Ohio based off your avatar.

I juggled vaping and analog cigarettes for about a year till my local Vape shop(Euphoria) starting carrying a plethora of different vendors. I ended up discovering a ton of new flavors and haven't touched the cancer sticks since.

Where from? I'm assuming you're in Northeast Ohio based off your avatar.

I juggled vaping and analog cigarettes for about a year till my local Vape shop(Euphoria) starting carrying a plethora of different vendors. I ended up discovering a ton of new flavors and haven't touched the cancer sticks since.
I'm in southeastern Ontario, Canada. My avatar is actually from a Tomahawk (band) t-shirt. There's a place called Infinite Vaper in Kingston. They make their own eliquid and the few I tried were great. I got their Edge flavour, which is like RY4 and Blue Meanie, which is like a blue slushy. I've refilled my tank about 4 or 5 times with Edge and I can't get enough.

Dhuie

Neo Member
Started vaping about 4 weeks ago with a basic eGo to try to help me quit.

I loving it, wish i had started sooner. Placed an order for a Aspire Nautilus adjustable airflow Tank and a larger battery to go with it.

Also placed a order with MyfreeSmokes in the USA for some different juices, should take 3 weeks to get here in Australia, they've also had a big 4th a july sale with a basic ego type for only $4 no charger.

Will update thread with my purchases when they get here.

thinking about upgrading my IPV2X, the 60 watts/1 battery is just not enough. What's the best box mod out right now?? the IPV4 looks really flimsy, also I'm not really sure which batteries to go with? i'm currently switching between samsung icr18650-26j and sony us18650v3 but now that i'm starting to learn a little more about batteries it seems like it is a lot more complex than i thought

thinking about upgrading my IPV2X, the 60 watts/1 battery is just not enough. What's the best box mod out right now?? the IPV4 looks really flimsy, also I'm not really sure which batteries to go with? i'm currently switching between samsung icr18650-26j and sony us18650v3 but now that i'm starting to learn a little more about batteries it seems like it is a lot more complex than i thought
I can't really help with batteries, but this thing is coming: DNA 200 Should be interesting to see 200W mods with temperature control.

DietRob

I can't really help with batteries, but this thing is coming: DNA 200 Should be interesting to see 200W mods with temperature control.

Hmm... interesting..

And congrats on being smoke free! It's an awesome feeling when your sense of smell and taste comes back to you!

My Aspire Mini Nautilus is starting to piss me off, it keeps locking up on the bottom and is becoming increasing harder to remove.

I kind of want to try a different tank out, similar size etc. Any recommendations?

My Aspire Mini Nautilus is starting to piss me off, it keeps locking up on the bottom and is becoming increasing harder to remove.

I kind of want to try a different tank out, similar size etc. Any recommendations?

I really like my Kanger Subtank Mini. I haven't tried any other tanks though.

Rizific

what features are you looking for in a tank? also, what mod will the tank be going on?

Kanger Subtank Mini looks like a decent replacement for the moment. Thanks guys.
what features are you looking for in a tank? also, what mod will the tank be going on?
Nothing crazy, just something that can handle travelling.

It will be going onto one of the old iStick eleaf 20v, although I might be upgrading that soon as well to either the 30v or 50v if I get a sub ohms tank.

Rizific

Kanger Subtank Mini looks like a decent replacement for the moment. Thanks guys.

Nothing crazy, just something that can handle travelling.

It will be going onto one of the old iStick eleaf 20v, although I might be upgrading that soon as well to either the 30v or 50v if I get a sub ohms tank.

subtank mini is definitely a good choice. if you decide to keep the istick 20, youll need to use the 1.2ohm coil heads. also if you decide to upgrade to the istick 50 then you can also start to use the 0.5ohm heads for the subtank mini and even start to get into rebuilding if you want too.

subtank mini is definitely a good choice. if you decide to keep the istick 20, youll need to use the 1.2ohm coil heads. also if you decide to upgrade to the istick 50 then you can also start to use the 0.5ohm heads for the subtank mini and even start to get into rebuilding if you want too.
Yeap that's the plan. I figured iStick 50 would be the upgrade to go for but I just saw a few pages back that those are apparently exploding.

Any other recommendations for a box that is 30-50w with a decent internal battery 2500mAh+?

dream

Yeap that's the plan. I figured iStick 50 would be the upgrade to go for but I just saw a few pages back that those are apparently exploding.

Any other recommendations for a box that is 30-50w with a decent internal battery 2500mAh+?

Does it have to be internal? If you buy a Subox kit, you get the Subtank Mini and a KBox Mini that fires down to 0.3ohms. You can just slap a Samsung 25R into it and charge over USB afterwards.

Meanwhile, I just picked up One Hit Wonder's Milk Man and Muffin Man. Not bad, much better dripped than in a tank though. It also feels weird buying 360mls of juice in one shot...

Violet_0

Banned
just ordered an E-Cigarette for myself, any recommendations for liquid flavors (with nicotine)?
oh, and I was wondering, do any of you still smoke a cigarette from time to time after making the switch?

Does it have to be internal? If you buy a Subox kit, you get the Subtank Mini and a KBox Mini that fires down to 0.3ohms. You can just slap a Samsung 25R into it and charge over USB afterwards.

Meanwhile, I just picked up One Hit Wonder's Milk Man and Muffin Man. Not bad, much better dripped than in a tank though. It also feels weird buying 360mls of juice in one shot...
I want to keep it internal because I travel a lot and I don't want to deal with an additional charger for the battery.

Edit: Oh wait you can charge it over USB? Hmm. I wish I saw that before I already ordered the tank.

just ordered an E-Cigarette for myself, any recommendations for liquid flavors (with nicotine)?
oh, and I was wondering, do any of you still smoke a cigarette from time to time after making the switch?
If you have any local brick and mortar vape shops, they usually let you try out their different flavours. Taste is really subjective and finding a juice you like is pretty key to the effectiveness of ecigs.

I haven't had an actual smoke since I got my ecig. I'm afraid that I am one cigarette from being a pack/day smoker.

Tuvoc

I also recommend the Subox. Some places that sell the Subox kit have good prices. So if you go that route it'd be cheaper than buying a Subtank mini and a 50W iStick.

Personally I'd get the iStick. I have both and the iStick can handle attys down to .2 where is the Subox only goes to .3. Also, the battery life on the iStick with a Subtank mini at .5 ohms would last me 4-5 days before I had to recharge it. With the subox, one 18650 battery might last the whole day if I'm not vaping hard. I also carry an extra battery with me just in case if I'm traveling with it.

Also, I never had an issue with my iStick getting hot when I charged it. I charged it overnight all the time. It seems that every time a new mod comes out people start talking about how they explode or catch fire. I'm sure every now and then a faulty mod is made and an accident happens. But I also think they have problems because the owner doesnt keep it clean and juice gets into the contact and causes an issue. Or the charger and/or outlet they use to charge is bad. It's not always the manufacturer.

Rizific

Is the OP up to date for someone just getting into e cigs?

i wouldnt say so. there are much better experiences to be had in this day and age. if your are just getting into it, my recommendation would be an istick 30/50 watt and a subtank mini. or even the new kanger subox mini kit. although the subox mini would require an additional purchase of a 18650 battery.

Broseybrose

I happen to be in love with Strawnilla from Nicoticket. For a tobacco flavor Id recommend Blend 4 from AVE.

Yes, when I first switched, it took me about a month to get off the analogs. But back then we were all struggling/experimenting to get a good satisfying vape. Nowadays starter equipment is top notch though, so it should be even easier.

UMGAWA

Just picked up an Atlantis v2, stupidly I asked for a box of .3ohm coils.
The only mod I have is the subox, I'm maxing the thing out at 50w with the V2 which I don't find to be a good thing.

Question is, what mod should I be looking at for powering this tank at its proper potential.

I'm also considering getting a dripper in the near future.

Rizific

Just picked up an Atlantis v2, stupidly I asked for a box of .3ohm coils.
The only mod I have is the subox, I'm maxing the thing out at 50w with the V2 which I don't find to be a good thing.

Question is, what mod should I be looking at for powering this tank at its proper potential.

I'm also considering getting a dripper in the near future.

you could just buy the higher ohm replacement coils. but if you want a new mod anyway, what kind of things are you looking for? single or dual battery? do you want temperature control? whats your vape budget looking like?

UMGAWA

you could just buy the higher ohm replacement coils. but if you want a new mod anyway, what kind of things are you looking for? single or dual battery? do you want temperature control? whats your vape budget looking like?

I could, but where's the fun in that, ha.
More so something with a bit more headroom for the lower 3ohm coils/builds I'll be using.
Either single or dual would be fine.
Not fussed by temp control but could be useful I don't know..
Hard to give you a value as I'm talking Australian dollar though I could probably be ok with around the $100US mark I guess.

Rizific

I could, but where's the fun in that, ha.
More so something with a bit more headroom for the lower 3ohm coils/builds I'll be using.
Either single or dual would be fine.
Not fussed by temp control but could be useful I don't know..
Hard to give you a value as I'm talking Australian dollar though I could probably be ok with around the $100US mark I guess.

there are so many box mods out now and most that are coming out are coming with temp control. myself, i believe temp control should be a standard feature in any regulated device from here on out. but ill make some suggestions based on your budget

dual battery mods
ipv 4
ipv 3 Li
snow wolf 200w (a little over budget)
sigelei 150w (no temp control)

single battery mods
ipv mini 2 (75w, no temp control)
sigelei vr 75 (unreleased, out soon)
ipv d2 75w (also unreleased but out soon)

as you can see, sigelei and pioneer4you (manufacturer of the ipv) are running the affordable/budget box mod game right now. of course there are others, but those are my recommendations and youll likely be able to find them in your brick and mortar. since you might want to get into dripping, id recommend having a device capable of at least 60w. my personal day to day build for my drippers are 0.3ohm dual coils running at 60w, just my preference.

MercuryLS

Banned
I bought one today, an Aspire one and some low nicotine juice. I'm trying to quit smoking and haven't used a cigarette since I picked it up this evening. So far so good.

I didn't do a lot of research, hopefully the one I got it good.

Top Bottom