• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Final Fantasy XIII TRIAL VERSION Thread

CHRP718 said:
I'm sure Square is going to be at the Sony E3 press conference.

I'm sure they will be, but I'm worried we will get something like 1 new character reveil and have to wait another 6 months for their name. :lol

Souther

Banned
I haven't bothered to watch this dudes stream since i already have the demo coming in and i kinda want it to be surprising...

Is this dude snow like a version of Zell or Sabin?

Let me in

It's a small observation, but for those of you worried about linearity, the free-moving camera from XII did carry over. It at least indicates that the environments are not completely static like X. I guess it doesn't mean that they couldn't just let you look all around a corridor... but I thought that fact offers some solace.

wow the seamless transition to battle is amazing... looks so damn good.

Modelling is also some of the best Ive seen. Its impressive that they can now render all the background graphics now as well....looks pretty accurate to the cg scene with the flying craft

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Deadly Monk said:
That red haired guy who's the blondes partner looks horrible. He is the only one who I think is badly designed. Lightning's character model? Just beautiful. Amazingly detailed.

But I pray this game is not as super linear as FFX. This is just a demo so I'm not going by this video but I really, really hope it isn't.

Did you see the dark haired girl? Bra over a shirt. A bra with a zipper.

MrDenny

Otrebor Nightmarecoat said:
Dont worry guys, the X360 version will come later on because its being superiorized.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
can someone give a rough translation of the conversation between sazh and lightning when
lightning tries to fly away with her finger gravity thing and sazh stops her

neptunes said:
I wouldn't mind Versus on the 360

I hope they actually consider it, seeing as how the vanilla FF13 version will raise awareness of Final Fantasy on the 360, I believe versus would sell more than ff13-360 if given the chance.

Money left on the table.

Is there anywhere I can listen to the main theme?

I believe I'll enjoy Versus a lot more. Hopefully you get it if you only have a 360. The Kitase Nomura "friendly rivalry" interests me. Kitase wants to stick to FF standards, and Nomura likes to experiment. And I must Say, Kingdom Hearts was pure gold to me.

h3ro

LTTP but :D :D :D :D :D

Watching the stream now... <3 the battle system. Some may feel it's antiquated, but I abhorred the battle system in XII think that once finished, XIII will play like a nice balance between action and slower ATB based battle. I like the instantaneous transitions between field and battle screen as well. Game looks gorgeous (at least it does being viewed from such a small stream) and the music isn't that bad. Menu music was nice and I wonder if the battle music will get tuned to sound more grittier as right now it sounds a bit too happy and doesn't match the atmosphere of the game.

Also, what's up with Wakka 2.0, Meg Ryan/Midget-Tidus and Tifa in Yuna's clothing being part of Snow's battle party?

One last thing...

HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE

To all the console warriors slowly making their way into the thread...

2ex5u9d.png

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Tuned in and caught the finger thing.

Which date / build / had the good fingers?
I leave it to you, internet detectives.

2ziztxv.png

This looks like a lot of fun. I've been cautiously optimistic until this point because VIII and X are the only ones in the last decade or so that I didn't adore, but XIII is looking surprisingly solid at this point.

Visuals are amazing, should set a new bar for other multi-platform developers to follow.

Pai Pai Master said:
This looks like a lot of fun. I've been cautiously optimistic until this point because VIII and X are the only ones in the last decade or so that I didn't adore, but XIII is looking surprisingly solid at this point.

Visuals are amazing, should set a new bar for other multi-platform developers to follow.

pretty sure they said they concentrated solely on ps3, then are going to port it...so I am sure its built to the systems strengths unlike some other games... we will see how it ports when the 360 version is revealed sometime next year or whenever

Feep

Banned
You know, it's interesting. In modern jRPGs, where motion-captured acting has become the norm, I find it easier and easier to tell the difference between western and eastern movement. Watching the actors in the FFXIII demo, I was overwhelmed by how "Japanese" they moved...it wasn't an element of bad acting, but there just appear to be fundamental differences in how each culture physically differs in motion.

Just thought it was worth noting.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Feep said:
You know, it's interesting. In modern jRPGs, where motion-captured acting has become the norm, I find it easier and easier to tell the difference between western and eastern movement. Watching the actors in the FFXIII demo, I was overwhelmed by how "Japanese" they moved...it wasn't an element of bad acting, but there just appear to be fundamental differences in how each culture physically differs in motion.

Just thought it was worth noting.
Racist.

just kidding... I think you have a point

BocoDragon

Man I want more stream... I had to go out for a bit, and I'm pretty sure I saw most of the demo with the end part with snow and the refugee people, trailers of XIII and vs., and then the beginning video and mecha battle...... but I just wanted to stew in it a bit more y'know?

<3 the music.

Hunahan

Banned
Game looks really good. Still not necessarily digging some of the art decisions, but that's par for the course with FF these days I guess. I'm not sure I really understood the battle system, though - do you only control one character? Or is the camera just strangely obsessive?

As for Versus, I really don't give a shit until someone proves to me that Nomura has figured out how to make tolerable combat. Playing through Crisis Core at the moment has made me intimately aware of this man's shortcomings. "Modulating Phase"....fuck you.

So I can live without yet another game of mashing the x-button a whole lot only to be be frequently interrupted with random cutscenes of stupid bullshit for absolutely no reason. If that's what Versus is, then noooo thank you.

Pai Pai Master said:
Yes, I'm sure the next developer that's willing to dump untold fortunes and 5 years of development time into their PS360 project will be looking at this game as a pristine model and beacon of example.

Lightning

Banned
Hunahan said:
As for Versus, I really don't give a shit until someone proves to me that Nomura has figured out how to make tolerable combat. Playing through Crisis Core at the moment has made me intimately aware of this man's shortcomings. "Modulating Phase"....fuck you.
Hang on a second, was Nomura Director or Producer of Crisis Core? I don't think he was but I might be wrong.

Lightning said:
Hang on a second, was Nomura Director or Producer of Crisis Core? I don't think he was but I might be wrong.
He was the game's artist only. Kitase was the producer & Tabata was the director.

Hunahan, did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed? Wow.

Hunahan

Banned
Lightning said:
Huh. You're right. For some reason I thought he was more intimately involved with the game than he apparently was.

Director Hajime Tabata
Producer Hideki Imaizumi

My bad. Nomura can step off the battle engine rage train at the next stop. Printing up a new boarding pass for Hajime Tabata as we speak....

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Hunahan said:
Game looks really good. Still not necessarily digging some of the art decisions, but that's par for the course with FF these days I guess. I'm not sure I really understood the battle system, though - do you only control one character? Or is the camera just strangely obsessive?
Active. Time. Battle.

* Spells are available in the demo, but they will not be during the full game in the beginning.
* Extra attacks by party members will be automatic in the demo, but manual in the full game.
* There are "jump points" on the field where you can jump.
* The battle fanfare is also absent from the demo.

BocoDragon

jump_button said:
OPENING!!!

idk if any one posted it yet
Thank you... but it sucks that it's a cam... :( I just watched a better version on the live feed two hours ago. I'd rather have a racording of that. (but at this point we should expect an HD recording if someone has the equipment!)

gantz85

Banned
neptunes said:
I wouldn't mind Versus on the 360

I hope they actually consider it, seeing as how the vanilla FF13 version will raise awareness of Final Fantasy on the 360, I believe versus would sell more than ff13-360 if given the chance.

Money left on the table.

Is there anywhere I can listen to the main theme?

I believe Halo 3 can be done on the PS3, it's also money left on the table.

There are plenty of reasons and probably plenty of money moving around ensuring console placements of software. FFvXIII is its own case. Not enough hype for it yet.. once the hype is built up and it's real and upcoming, console placement may be an issue then.

well, against my better judgement, I ordered the blu-ray with the demo.. hopefully NCSX will come through as they usually do.

Seeing the pictures someone took above made it an easier decision.. the set looks really nice :D

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Versus has always been the more interesting of the two (well, three, technically) FFXIII games to me. The setting is so much more interesting than the usual futuristic-tech/medieval rotation the FF series has been on for so long.

Of course, FF characters spouting Shakespeare lines could be a recipe for disaster, but as of right now, from a pure visual design standpoint, I'm much more excited for Versus.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Rez said:
Versus has always been the more interesting of the two (well, three, technically) FFXIII games to me. The setting is so much more interesting than the usual futuristic-tech/medieval rotation the FF series has been on for so long.

Of course, FF characters spouting Shakespeare lines could be a recipe for disaster, but as of right now, from a pure visual design standpoint, I'm much more excited for Versus.

Mostly likely will be a disaster. But maybe they will channel some Matsuno

gantz85

Banned
Upon reflection I REALLY dislike the battle system interface. Blue buttons placed all around and plenty of clutter. They should definitely look to streamline that interface.

Another problem I saw was during the demo stream when the player was fighting multiple numbers of the same type of enemy (the hound-like creature). The animations for all of them were so similar and some of it occured at the same time (synchronized tail wagging) that it really felt very very last gen. It needs more dynamicity.

Otherwise I is ready for this shit.

Top Bottom