• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Final Fantasy XIII TRIAL VERSION Thread

Kyoufu

BlazingDarkness said:
Gackt was miles better VA than whoever the english guy was

FFVII has the worst set of VAs.

Advent Children, Crisis Core and Dirge of Cerberus have atrocious voice-acting. One of these days Square-Enix will hire some quality English actors instead of the hentai hacks they got currently.

StuBurns

Banned
I could see it being built up to be more pushing, you rip thru it with no explanation then getting a lot of exposition after.

I hope they go with an epic thrilling intro section.

stuburns said:
I could see it being built up to be more pushing, you rip thru it with no explanation then getting a lot of exposition after.

yeah i think that would make more sense
kinda like FFVII where it starts with a bang, and then slows down a little

Amir0x

Banned
Himuro said:
Why complain about the level design when it's the beginning of the game? Even Amirox's beloved FFXII features a linear starting area.

It's a worry of how the game looks from the demo, no one can make a final judgment on how it'll be for the entire game. As a demo, you can only judge what you see. My initial judgment is "I hope the rest of the game isn't boring corridor shit, like it was in FFX. This looks a lot like Zanarkland."

Simple observations and concerns, Himuro.

Zoe

Yazus said:
The fuck at the italian phrases coming around? Ricordi di morte or such? (Toughts of death) anwyas are all involved with death...

They worship the Death God in that world.

Yoboman

stuburns said:

Me too, the way that FFVII did it was a lot more compelling though, so I'm kinda hoping that isn't the intro

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
BlazingDarkness said:
the corridor parts had loads of scripted explosions and stuff, so i can see why they limited the players movement there

it also had a bunch of FFX-2 style jumping moments as well, looks to me like the level design is going to be similar to FFX / X-2 as in long narrow walkway and corridor's and such (with added jumping ability from FFX-2).

also i have a question, during the battles it seemed like the player was able to move his charater in any direction slowly, was that really the player doing it ? or is the player's role just to input the command and anything else happens itself ?

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
wow. the game looks fantastic! Great graphics, good musical score, next to nothing load times and smooth animations. Love the new and fast ATB battle system.

Clearly, this is the best looking rpg this gen so far.

near

Gold Member
So it looks like when you engage one or several enemies at once, and the battle commences no other enemie/foe can enter that same battle. I don't think I really like that, what I loved with FFXII was that while you was in a battle, if a foe was near by they could just join your same battle making it more of a challenge, especially if you was on an open field. I don't really see a point in adding a gambit system now. Though it does look decent, and I feel they're going in the right direction.

chandoog said:
it also had a bunch of FFX-2 style jumping moments as well, looks to me like the level design is going to be similar to FFX / X-2 as in long narrow walkway and corridor's and such (with added jumping ability from FFX-2).

also i have a question, during the battles it seemed like the player was able to move his charater in any direction slowly, was that really the player doing it ? or is the player's role just to input the command and anything else happens itself ?

you can move the character around freely during battle

Amir0x and others who've mentioned the Zanarkand beginning of FFX have really nailed it. I thought of that the entire time I was watching it. Moreover, Cocoon is seeming more and more like Sin/Dream Zanarkand. Combine this with the ridiculously linear environment and the ATB combat system complete with transitions and post-battle statistics, and all I see is a regurgitation of the past. After FFXII, I was looking for something a bit more experimental.

Also, Sazh seems like he'll be this game's Zell for me. I have no idea what he's saying, but nonetheless he's already annoying. Frankly, I'm tired of JRPGs (and all other genres, for that matter) mistaking caricature and exaggeration for characterization.

That said, I find Lightning and the setting appealing, so all is not lost.

darkwings

Banned
Amir0x said:
It's a worry of how the game looks from the demo, no one can make a final judgment on how it'll be for the entire game. As a demo, you can only judge what you see. My initial judgment is "I hope the rest of the game isn't boring corridor shit, like it was in FFX. This looks a lot like Zanarkland."

Simple observations and concerns, Himuro.

FFX doesnt strike me as boring corridors.

FFChris

darkwings said:
FFX doesnt strike me as boring corridors.

If you played the previous FF games, FFX was very linear in comparison.

That's the only thing that worried me in the demo as well. I didn't like the linearity of the areas in FFX and I really hope in FFXIII we aren't going back to that.

Everything else look great. Lightning, Shaz and Snow look like good central characters (better than the rabble from XII and X anyway) and the combat is a step up. 1 year is so far off!

Yazus

Mm all the youtube videos are low HD or HD from the esegk stream. Too bad.

I'm waiting for someone to upload a fullHD playtrough.

FFChris said:

That's the only thing that worried me in the demo as well. I didn't like the linearity of the areas in FFX and I really hope in FFXIII we aren't going back to that.

God damn I loved FFX.

"This...is your world now."

:(

*cry*
*reaches out hand to TV*

KTallguy

Banned
I'm posting in this thread to say that I am excited, but I will not read anything in this thread, nor look at videos or screenshots.

My experience with the FFXIII demo will NOT be tainted.

StuBurns

Banned
FFChris said:

They've said the demo is more linear than most the game will be, if you think of FFX, a lot of the later environments had a much more open design, even though it was all linear.

I think it's safe to say there is no traditional world map in FFXIII, I think we'd have seen it by now, we've already seen a bit of FFVersusXIII's and they haven't shown shit on that game yet.

Yazus

Himuro said:
Hey guys I'm in this reactor in Final Fantasy VII. This game is so awful it's so linear.

Hey guys I'm in this cave in Final Fantasy IV fighting some mist dragon when can I like, actually go and explore and stuff? This game is so linear.

Hey guys, Biggs and Wedge just disappeared in Final Fantasy VI, when will this game get less linear?

Hey guys I'm playing Final Fantasy XII and there's a bunch of stairs and stuff. It's so linear. I'm not even playing as Vaan! Who is this Reks guy anyway?

Hey guys I'm playing Final Fantasy V, this game is so linear. I just came upon a pirate base.

Hey guys, why is Final Fantasy X-2 so linear? All I'm doing at the beginning is going in one straight line.

It's the Internet. There will be always people who complains

Himuro said:
Hey guys I'm in this reactor in Final Fantasy VII. This game is so awful it's so linear.

Hey guys I'm in this cave in Final Fantasy IV fighting some mist dragon when can I like, actually go and explore and stuff? This game is so linear.

Hey guys, Biggs and Wedge just disappeared in Final Fantasy VI, when will this game get less linear?

Hey guys I'm playing Final Fantasy XII and there's a bunch of stairs and stuff. It's so linear. I'm not even playing as Vaan! Who is this Reks guy anyway?

Hey guys I'm playing Final Fantasy V, this game is so linear. I just came upon a pirate base.

Hey guys, why is Final Fantasy X-2 so linear? All I'm doing at the beginning is going in one straight line.
I don't think anyone has claimed that because the demo is linear the entire game will be linear. Obviously, some sections can be linear while others are not. But, considering this game's pedigree, seeing such a linear environment in the demo does, obviously, cause some concern for people, myself included.

I hope they prove our worrying ill-founded.

Yazus

Demos cannot be non-linear. Their purpose is to show some features and let you see some cutscenes and gameplay. They cannot have full world map and stuff like that.

Saying that the Demo is linear is like asking why the Demo does not contain all the characters playable and the whole game

Kyoufu

Worst-case scenario: It turns out to be like FFX

Best-case scenario: It turns out to be like FFXII

Thats a win/win for me.

FFChris

Himuro said:

Should I not be saying a bad word about this demo that some of you guys have spent rediculous amounts of money on?

Yazus said:
Demos cannot be non-linear. Their purpose is to show some features and let you see some cutscenes and gameplay. They cannot have full world map and stuff like that.

Saying that the Demo is linear is like asking why the Demo does not contain all the characters playable and the whole game

The parts of the demo I watched were literally straight line paths with landscapes you can't reach in the background, just like FFX, which I didn't enjoy the structure of. Everything else about the demo I liked.

flabberghastly said:
That's beside the point. This game is, by all estimation, extremely unlikely to have a world-map, and will obviously use a setup similar to FFX and FFXII. The problem for those of us who are wary of the linearity is that we do not want this demo environment to be indicative of the other environments. This wasn't the case with FFXII, but it was, basically, the case with FFX.

Well put.

esbern

Kyoufu said:
Worst-case scenario: It turns out to be like FFX

Best-case scenario: It turns out to be like FFXII

Thats a win/win for me.

Sure, but the plot can't be a complete star wars ripoff this time.

Yazus said:

Saying that the Demo is linear is like asking why the Demo does not contain the full game
That's beside the point. This game is, by all estimation, extremely unlikely to have a world-map, and will obviously use a setup similar to FFX and FFXII. The problem for those of us who are wary of the linearity is that we do not want this demo environment to be indicative of the other environments. This wasn't the case with FFXII, but it was, basically, the case with FFX.

StuBurns

Banned
It's way too early to call the level design, for all we know Cocoon could even Liberty City in the future, we still know nothing.

stuburns said:
It's way too early to call the level design, for all we know Cocoon could even Liberty City in the future, we still know nothing.
Obviously we can't grasp the entire design of the game from the demo, but what we do have references to are how this was accomplished in the past. Many of these same designers worked on FFX, and we all know what they chose to do with the environments in that game.

What we're expressing is simply a matter of the impressions that the demo had upon us. No one has claimed that this is how the game will be.

Himuro said:
FFX-2 is more non-linear than FFXII and its environments are probably what you would consider to be "corridors".
Unfortunately, I never played FFX-2, so I can't comment. I've intended to for years; I might need to now, at least for comparative purposes.

Top Bottom