• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Final Fantasy XIII TRIAL VERSION Thread

jett

D-Member
WHERE AM MY HD VIDZ

About the linearity thing, I don't care at all. Didn't bother me in FFX, actually like Mr. Wonderful said it worked perfectly there. To be honest I'd rather have a linear game than a dungeon crawler, which is what FFXII was. Boring, repetitive looking dungeons over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

Robobandit said:
Konami and Capcom aren't trying to sell an expensive blu-ray disc. Imho, SquareEnix is saying "Please buy our movie, we haven't made back our production budget on it yet... if you buy it, we'll give you something you want.. FF XIII demo! So.. please buy it!"

Advent Children sold over 4m units, so i'm pretty sure they made back their production budget for it a long time ago.

Square does this because they can. They've been doing it ever since FF7 where they shipped the demo for it with Tobal.

Mr. Wonderful said:
The only reason the linearity of Final Fantasy X didn't bother me was because it sort of made sense given the whole pilgrimage premise. That, and later on, the world opened up a lot more, as people have said. If Final Fantasy XIII is anywhere near as good as X, I'll be happy, as the only thing that disappointed me at all in that game was the story's execution.
The two-worlds thing excites me a great deal because we haven't really had that in any of the games apart from FF4 (5 and 6 dramatically changed the world maps at least once but you were never able to travel freely between several different worlds). Hopefully Cocoon is huge; we know Pulse will be.

StuBurns

Banned
gantz85 said:
The DVD sold 4 million copies, I really don't see how they haven't made back their production budget. If anything this is a milking exercise, not a break-even one.
Maybe the point was to improve upon the product itself though. I haven't seen the movie, I hear it's awful, but maybe they want to release a new iteration to help the films coherence. As for milking, a BluRay release isn't milking, everyone is going to do it with everything. And at least this is adding a ton of new material. They could have just put the original cut out in HD, but they decided to go back and amend it.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
wha.jpg

What the...

Ok, I have not read or followed this game at all, but...

Wha?

LiK

stuburns said:
Maybe the point was to improve upon the product itself though. I haven't seen the movie, I hear it's awful, but maybe they want to release a new iteration to help the films coherence. As for milking, a BluRay release isn't milking, everyone is going to do it with everything. And at least this is adding a ton of new material. They could have just put the original cut out in HD, but they decided to go back and amend it.

what? you should check out the movie. the story is lame but the action sequences are excellent and the movie is just beautiful to look at. it's pure eye candy.

Returners

stuburns said:

maybe you're think of the "other" Final Fantasy movie... ;)

this one is actually pretty good.

StuBurns

Banned
LiK said:
what? you should check out the movie. the story is lame but the action sequences are excellent and the movie is just beautiful to look at. it's pure eye candy.
I just never got around to it, I'll watch it if the BluRay isn't region locked when the demo arrives.

Returners said:
maybe you're think of the "other" Final Fantasy movie... ;)

this one is actually pretty good.
I wasn't thinking about the other one, I think generally AC wasn't well received.

StuBurns

Banned
Kunan said:
http://www.psu.com/media/final-fantasy-xiii/site_final-fantasy-xiii-ss-158.jpg[IMG]

The character models are SO good, except for those hands 0.o[/QUOTE]
There are newer build pictures of a higher poly character model with 'nice' fingers.

LiK

stuburns said:
I just never got around to it, I'll watch it if the BluRay isn't region locked when the demo arrives.

I wasn't thinking about the other one, I think generally AC wasn't well received.

i gotta admit that i didn't follow news of it so when i saw Sephy reappear for the first time, i was super excited. that fight alone is worth it. but yea, the story was disappointing but at least it's not embarrassing like 99% of other video game movies and the fights are actually rewatchable. ;)

Regulus Tera said:
Has anyone picked up the name of Chocobaby?

He's not given a name in the demo.

He is, by the way, the best rendered character in the game -- totally stands out compared to the other characters.

I didn't realize the redhead girl was so short. -_-

I have been trying to stay preview free for this game but it's to hard. Now I'm just kind of out of the loop. Do we have a name for the redhead yet?

Durante

VGChampion said:
I have been trying to stay preview free for this game but it's to hard. Now I'm just kind of out of the loop. Do we have a name for the redhead yet?
Yes, but you probably don't want to know it :lol

Zilch

Banned
VGChampion said:
I didn't realize the redhead girl was so short. -_-

She's on her knees in that screencap.

He name is Oerba Dia Vanille.

jett

D-Member
stuburns said:

AC is much more entertaining than Spirits Within

careksims

YESSSSSSSS! Finally my order shipped from Play-Asia! In a couple days, I will experience what most people saw the stream last night :D

Lagunamov said:
Spirit Within is better film than AC.

AC at least has the fanservice going for it, it makes that one group happy. Even FF fans hated TSW, and the critics really hated it. Terrible movie, and let us not forget one of the biggest movie bombs OF ALL TIME.

Phatcorns

jett said:
teh round handz of newer build(and less polygonal sleeves):

wgt9o3.jpg

The rest looks about the same though...

I'm inclined to believe that the round hand version is the older build and the square one is the newer. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

El-Suave

This tread, a glimpse of the baby chocobo and the fact that we won't see the game itself for quite some time made me order a copy as well.

I didn't upgrade to express shipping though because that means guaranteed taxes and as the worst case scenario a 80km drive to pick it up from the customs office. That means a video blackout for quite some time I guess.

eXistor

Robobandit said:
Ah. didn't realize they had sold so many copies, given the way everyone rips on the movie. Guess that is GAF for you :lol

I fucking hate the movie, it's a true abomination. Gotsta have that demo though!

Phatcorns said:
I'm inclined to believe that the round hand version is the older build and the square one is the newer. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

Why would it be an older build? That screen came out after we saw the footage of her with the square fingers.

Effect

Hmm. I can't help but think that this isn't about Square-Enix building hype for the game but that they have put so much money into the game for so long they need to start making back some of it now or they'll be in trouble soon. So releasing a a demo like this seems like a way of doing that while hyping the game at the same time to make sure people don't forget about it.

Darkpen

Banned
APZonerunner said:
AC at least has the fanservice going for it, it makes that one group happy. Even FF fans hated TSW, and the critics really hated it. Terrible movie, and let us not forget one of the biggest movie bombs OF ALL TIME.
The fuck are you talking about? Fucking Ebert gave it a 2 thumbs up, and praised the hell out of it D:

It was the fans that didn't like it, since they were expecting Chocobos and Cloud and shit. The thing about TSW is that the only relationship it even has to FF is specifically FF7 and the life stream concept, or "Gaia," as the movie calls it. And "Sid." What I find funny is that they set the movie at 2065, which is silly, but if one were to speculate, I'd say that TSW precedes FFX and FF7 as a a single universe (in that order), even suggesting that "monsters" were simply creatures reborn on Earth from the spirits of the alien meteor, even intermingling with our own animals.

lol

As for AC's story, I'm really looking forward to seeing the added/altered footage.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Nice, hopefully better quality than the janky youtube video I was just watching.
The opening cinema is awesome.. I kinda laughed at the rocket launcher bit.. but whatever.

jett

D-Member
Phatcorns said:

That doesn't make any sense. The trailer with the square hands appeared before the picture with the upgraded model. Demo build is from last year as well. Vanille's face/necklace still doesn't look as detailed as what Squeenix showed in August last year though.

lupinko

APZonerunner said:

Actually critics hated AC (well the ones that review straight to video movies anyway :lol) more than TSW, and like what was already posted, TSW was praised by notable critics such as the aforementioned Roger Ebert.

Top Bottom