• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Final Fantasy XIII TRIAL VERSION Thread

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Dark FaZe said:
So are you capable of controlling your allies with this battle system?
short answer: yes, just not in the demo area :)

wow third, that's impressive

StuBurns

Banned
flabberghastly said:
Obviously we can't grasp the entire design of the game from the demo, but what we do have references to are how this was accomplished in the past. Many of these same designers worked on FFX, and we all know what they chose to do with the environments in that game.

What we're expressing is simply a matter of the impressions that the demo had upon us. No one has claimed that this is how the game will be.
FFX was on a last gen console, the same team also made FFVII and VIII, neither of which are anything like FFX because they weren't on the same hardware.

Extrapolating anything from this demo is ridiculous. Especially considering how FFVII started compared to it opening up to a very large world map.

My point is there's almost no point discussing it, because we know the start of FF games aren't usually representative of the majority of the game.

Even so, I loved FFX, even if it's exactly the same as that in terms of design, I'll still be very interested.

Brofist

I haven't followed much on FFXIII to be honest, is it really more FFX than XII. I might end up liking this one then :D

Hell I might go to the store tomorrow and pick up the demo, even if it means buying that hideous movie that comes with it.

stuburns said:
My point is there's almost no point discussing it, because we know the start of FF games aren't usually representative of the majority of the game.
I know precisely what your point was, and my point was that, regardless of what we might be able to glean from the available information, people are simply posting here the impressions the demo gave them. The discussions have been entirely secondary.

StuBurns

Banned
flabberghastly said:
I know precisely what your point was, and my point was that, regardless of what we might be able to glean from the available information, people are simply posting here the impressions the demo gave them. The discussions have been entirely secondary.
My criticism was not of the demo discussion at all. It was the people who derived FFX comparisons in terms of overall design.

The demo is completely linear of course.

stuburns said:
My criticism was not of the demo discussion at all. It was the people who derived FFX comparisons in terms of overall design.

The demo is completely linear of course.
Yes, but the references to FFX are directly related to the impressions of the demo. FFX has been included because people -- myself definitely included -- have used it to explain an apparatus through which their impression of linearity derived. That's it.

Himuro said:
Hey guys I'm in this reactor in Final Fantasy VII. This game is so awful it's so linear.

Hey guys I'm in this cave in Final Fantasy IV fighting some mist dragon when can I like, actually go and explore and stuff? This game is so linear.

Hey guys, Biggs and Wedge just disappeared in Final Fantasy VI, when will this game get less linear?

Hey guys I'm playing Final Fantasy XII and there's a bunch of stairs and stuff. It's so linear. I'm not even playing as Vaan! Who is this Reks guy anyway?

Hey guys I'm playing Final Fantasy V, this game is so linear. I just came upon a pirate base.

Hey guys, why is Final Fantasy X-2 so linear? All I'm doing at the beginning is going in one straight line.

you don't even need to be talking about the full games here, just look at the past demos and how they were as straight forward as can be. Actually, the FF7 demo that came with Tobal no1 does take place in the reactor. And the FFX demo I played again recently is right at the start of the game where you are just going from battle to battle in a straight line.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I can't see the demo environment's level design being applied to the entire, or even the majority of the full game. I can't really see the train of thought behind that either. It makes perfect sense to have a controlled and linear level used for a demo, and it makes even more sense to have a wide range of varying environments in such a high budget game. The demo level was only a fair representation of the demo level, not of the final product. And while it may seem optimistic to 'hope for the best' when it comes to level design, I think it's only logical to expect a little more from the Squeenix team behind FFXIII than a corridor game.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Yoboman said:
Does it have any effect on your abilities/attacks or the range of enemies?
I imagine because they are giving 'range' to some group effect spells (at least I think I remember reading that) that it would also apply to AoE effect melee skills as well. Which already makes me think a 'taunt' skill or passive ability might be added to the game.

Kinan

Love what I see so far. Bring it on!

I would still prefer seamless battles, but this approach has some advantages too - no more damn adds. :)

Only minor problem for me is a cringe worthy design of that red-haired dude. Hopefully he will not be around for long. :p

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Some nice nice nice videos are going up on gamevideos today. As well as impressions. Watch fo dat shit.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Sorry for asking again but will the demo come to America too when FFVII:ACC is released or something?

Ether_Snake said:
Sorry for asking again but will the demo come to America too when FFVII:ACC is released or something?

As far as we've heard, nope. That's why a lot of people are importing the movie/demo...And common NCS, ship my system tomorrow PLEASE?!

Wow second...

neoism

Kyoufu said:
Worst-case scenario: It turns out to be like FFX

Best-case scenario: It turns out to be like FFXII

Thats a win/win for me.
this

I Hope so, but I've never been disappointed by a FF game! I loved X, and XII is my fav rpg ever!

neoism

sprsk said:
Some nice nice nice videos are going up on gamevideos today. As well as impressions. Watch fo dat shit.
HD or bust, I want to download these to my PS3!, Will the videos be in the right format!?

Barrett2

BrodiemanTTR said:
$80 for a half-baked demo? Some of you guys need help.

$1.41 per minute for a FF demo. Damn....

I would like to call these people crazy, but considering that I too paid ridiculous cash to import a Japanese PSP back in the day, I can understand where they are coming from. I can't wait to see and read some impressions. My hopes are so high for this game.

StuBurns

Banned
The international release is about a year away, I've been waiting since 2001 to play Kitase's team's next full RPG, the demo is expensive, but that's because the Japanese get raped on movie releases, it's not like SE are trying to make people pay $80 for a demo.

It looks hawt anyway, and it's not like there is endless quality titles this summer, it's pretty barren in terms of anything I'm looking forward to.

After seeing it, I don't regret my purchase at all, and it comes with a free FFVII movie, cool.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
stuburns said:
The international release is about a year away, I've been waiting since 2001 to play Kitase's team's next full RPG, the demo is expensive, but that's because the Japanese get raped on movie releases, it's not like SE are trying to make people pay $80 for a demo.

It looks hawt anyway, and it's not like there is endless quality titles this summer, it's pretty barren in terms of anything I'm looking forward to.

After seeing it, I don't regret my purchase at all, and it comes with a free FFVII movie, cool.
That justification works at a base level, but honestly, Square really should be using PSN like everyone else. Make it available for a day or two so to keep it as a limited sort of thing or something.

It's just a bit of a double-standard that I doesn't quite sit right with me. There's no way a dev like Konami or Capcom could be getting away with this. Square might the most influential JRPG dev out there, but I don't think that gives them permission to be needlessly obtuse for nothing. I mean, sure, they could release it encased in Nomura feces and people would still pay top dollar for it, so from a business standpoint its fantastic, but all the same, like I said, it really doesn't sit right with me. It's self-centered and bad for the industry.

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional

LiK

Rez said:
That justification works at a base level, but honestly, Square really should be using PSN like everyone else. Make it available for a day or two so to keep it as a limited sort of thing or something.

It's just a bit of a double-standard that I doesn't quite sit right with me. There's no way a dev like Konami or Capcom could be getting away with this. Square might the most influential JRPG dev out there, but I don't think that gives them permission to be needlessly obtuse for nothing. I mean, sure, they could release it encased in Nomura feces and people would still pay top dollar for it, so from a business standpoint its fantastic, but all the same, like I said, it really doesn't sit right with me. It's self-centered and bad for the industry.

it's like Sony's method of making their triple A game demos as preorder bonuses these days. S-E assumes that anyone who buys FF:AC will want the FFXII demo anyways and vice versa. sure, the price sucks but they're priced according to Japanese prices so the demo is really a bonus. if people see it the other way, that's their own thing.

if the demo helps sell more FF:ACC Blu-rays for S-E, i don't see why they would want to release the demo free on PSN. the game is still in progress so not getting it on PSN is not a big deal right now. this is just a taste of what's to come in a year.

PLAY ASIA has shippped my oreder!!!!!

Probably late the the demo party as hell but still I am happy that I get to play this myself on friday :)

StuBurns

Banned
Rez said:

We don't know all the details about their deal with the first parties though, for all we know MS won't let them put it on PSN till they ready a 360 version.

But either way, other publishers could do this, they just don't have any cause to do so. SE just want the demo out early. They could easily have put this out much closer to release, the fact that they want a window so large suggests to me they intend to inform development from feedback.

Acosta

Play-Asia has shipped mine, wohoo!

By the way, for the naysayers, what I really wanted was Advent Children Blu-Ray, I have not seen the movie waiting for it. I don't expect much as a film, but I love CG and will be a nice watch for sure. The FFXIII demo is a great extra. Luckily I had reserved the money when I preordered, or I would have been able to buy it.

rhino4evr

Rez said:

I can't be the only person that bought ZOE for the MGS2 demo right?
I think that was Konami.

People love their videogames, and will pay anything to be complete. I sold a Mega Man 9 Press Kit for $400 a few months ago.

StuBurns

Banned
rhino4evr said:
I can't be the only person that bought ZOE for the MGS2 demo right?
Absolutely not, I think everyone did. ZOE was great of course, but it was the demo that people wanted mostly. The same for the Halo 3 beta.

It's not like there isn't a history of major titles doing this.

rhino4evr

stuburns said:
Absolutely not, I think everyone did. ZOE was great of course, but it was the demo that people wanted mostly. The same for the Halo 3 beta.

It's not like there isn't a history of major titles doing this.

this is very true, im pretty sure most of you would have never played Crackdown if the Beta wasn't attached.

Still $80 for a Japanese demo seems high. If it came out in America and it was $20 for the movie/demo, i would probably bite.

LiK

rhino4evr said:
Still $80 for a Japanese demo seems high. If it came out in America and it was $20 for the movie/demo, i would probably bite.

i think all of us here would do the same.

Rez said:

Konami and Capcom aren't trying to sell an expensive blu-ray disc. Imho, SquareEnix is saying "Please buy our movie, we haven't made back our production budget on it yet... if you buy it, we'll give you something you want.. FF XIII demo! So.. please buy it!"

Personally, I enjoyed the movie because of the beautiful graphics and seeing the characters again.. the plot had nothing to do with it. Seeing it in 1080p on my Kuro will be worth the price of admission.. and hey, I get a 40-60 minute demo of the most anticipated game of the year for a ton of people, sweet!

gantz85

Banned
Robobandit said:
Konami and Capcom aren't trying to sell an expensive blu-ray disc. Imho, SquareEnix is saying "Please buy our movie, we haven't made back our production budget on it yet... if you buy it, we'll give you something you want.. FF XIII demo! So.. please buy it!"

Personally, I enjoyed the movie because of the beautiful graphics and seeing the characters again.. the plot had nothing to do with it. Seeing it in 1080p on my Kuro will be worth the price of admission.. and hey, I get a 40-60 minute demo of the most anticipated game of the year for a ton of people, sweet!

The DVD sold 4 million copies, I really don't see how they haven't made back their production budget. If anything this is a milking exercise, not a break-even one.

FFChris said:
If you played the previous FF games, FFX was very linear in comparison.

That's the only thing that worried me in the demo as well. I didn't like the linearity of the areas in FFX and I really hope in FFXIII we aren't going back to that.

Everything else look great. Lightning, Shaz and Snow look like good central characters (better than the rabble from XII and X anyway) and the combat is a step up. 1 year is so far off!
The only reason the linearity of Final Fantasy X didn't bother me was because it sort of made sense given the whole pilgrimage premise. That, and later on, the world opened up a lot more, as people have said. If Final Fantasy XIII is anywhere near as good as X, I'll be happy, as the only thing that disappointed me at all in that game was the story's execution.

Top Bottom