• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Final Fantasy XIII TRIAL VERSION Thread

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Sazh is...

5x334o.jpg

:O

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
gantz85 said:
FF12 took 7 months.

The question is the porting PS3 > 360.

7 months isn't so bad. I believe Square is probably already in the process of porting while they are localizing the game.

I just hope there are no mid game installs for the ps3 version. I do hope Square uses a dual-layer blu-ray and have an option to watch the cut scenes whenever we want.

LiK said:
i think if there are any delays, we can blame it on Nomura having fainting spells from exhaustion :p

I thought Nomura only designed the characters but is actively working on FF versus 13.

My favorite parts of the demo had to be the amazing, AWESOME battle theme (Which I knew from the start when I first heard it in the early trailers that it would be the battle theme) and Sazh fending off Lightning from using her slow-down technique to jump the gap (at least, that's what I assumed she was going to do). She clocks him and I found that hilarious.

gantz85

Banned
rhino4evr said:
but, but how..the power of the PS3!!

Don't worry, Squeenix and Microsoft will combine together to put out a special edition FFXIII Xbox 360 with 6 DVD drives so there will be no disc-switching involved in your seamless FFXIII experience.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
stuburns said:
I didn't mean it'll be crap or anything. I'd be shocked if it's not identical actually, probably a little better if anything.

We'll see. I'll be hesitant based on the fact that Square's first foray into multiplatform was a huge mess. Maybe second time will be better. And yes, I do realize different teams and all, but the management of their first attempt was horrible.

LiK said:
well, the Crystal Tools Engine was made for crossplatforms so that's a good sign :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Engine

So was UE3.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Kagari said:
We'll see. I'll be hesitant based on the fact that Square's first foray into multiplatform was a huge mess. Maybe second time will be better. And yes, I do realize different teams and all, but the management of their first attempt was horrible.

So was UE3.
The main reason I think this will be an easy port to 360 isn't FFXIII itself, but rather their MMO which has been being made with the engine for ages: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapture_(video_game)

The MMO was also originally only for PC/360, meaning the PS3 functionality was probably the last thing to get added.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
LiK said:
yea, but we all know only Epic knows how to use their own engine ;)

i have more confidence with S-E using their own tools

I'll have confidence when they show real evidence. For now, everything is speculation ;D

LiK

Kagari said:
I'll have confidence when they show real evidence. For now, everything is speculation ;D

i'll get both versions anyways. ;)

SolidSnakex said:
Well, at least this thread managed to make it this far before it went to shit.

wha? it's still going strong!

jett

D-Member
neojubei said:
I just hope there are no mid game installs for the ps3 version. I do hope Square uses a dual-layer blu-ray and have an option to watch the cut scenes whenever we want.

Only MGS4 has done that stupid shit, FFXIII seems to load REALLY quickly from the BD(and this build is freaking old), I wonder if an install will be necessary at all. Watching cut-scenes...surely they'll adopt a FFX-like system to watch the FMV.

edit: Forgot this demo comes on disc.

gantz85

Banned
LiK said:
yea, but we all know only Epic knows how to use their own engine ;)

i have more confidence with S-E using their own tools

Bottomline is, ports take time. The longer the time, the better the port. The longer the time, the later the release.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
jett said:
Only MGS4 has done that stupid shit, FFXIII seems to load REALLY quickly from the HD(and this build is freaking old), I wonder if an install will be necessary at all. Watching cut-scenes...surely they'll adopt a FFX-like system to watch the FMV.

You mean disc? Yeah, it does. Maybe they have some sort of real time streaming in place?

LiK

gantz85 said:
Bottomline is, ports take time. The longer the time, the better the port. The longer the time, the later the release.

well, of course.

jett said:
Only MGS4 has done that stupid shit, FFXIII seems to load REALLY quickly from the BD(and this build is freaking old), I wonder if an install will be necessary at all. Watching cut-scenes...surely they'll adopt a FFX-like system to watch the FMV.

edit: Forgot this demo comes on disc.

hopefully they dont require mandatory installs like KZ2, altho i doubt it...

Y2Kev said:
400 gb install probably

you know, i would laugh but... :p

jett

D-Member
Kagari said:
You mean disc? Yeah, it does. Maybe they have some sort of real time streaming in place?

Who knows, but I doubt it. There are still loading screens(though very very few in the demo at least), and they don't bother to load anything when the intro movie is playing. :p

BTW the production values in the demo are really crazy, if they can sustain this shit for 50 hours FFXIII is going to be one hell of an audiovisual experience. MGS4 budget this, KZ2 budget that, I bet this shit is the most expensive next-gen game yet. :p

LiK

jett said:
Who knows, but I doubt it. There are still loading screens(though very very few in the demo at least), and they don't bother to load anything when the intro movie is playing. :p

BTW the production values in the demo are really crazy, if they can sustain this shit for 50 hours FFXIII is going to be one hell of an audiovisual experience. MGS4 budget this, KZ2 budget that, I bet this shit is the most expensive next-gen game yet. :p

*Nomura faints*

gantz85

Banned
jett said:

I hope FFXIII will blow minds.. :lol

Actually, what puzzles me most is how Lightning unsheathing her blade is shown as CG in trailers but is actually a real-time engine cutscene for the demo. Have they moved from CG to realtime or the other way around?

It doesn't make sense to do it CG > realtime because all of those resources poured into the CG is flushed down the drain except for marketing purposes.

Roland

gantz85 said:
It doesn't make sense to do it CG > realtime because all of those resources poured into the CG is flushed down the drain except for marketing purposes.
They're already thinking ahead for the 360 port.

LiK

gantz85 said:

Actually, what puzzles me most is how Lightning unsheathing her blade is shown as CG in trailers but is actually a real-time engine cutscene for the demo. Have they moved from CG to realtime or the other way around?

CG movies take up so much room on the disc. might as well go for real-time instead if they can do it.

<----- RE5 did it right :)

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
gantz85 said:

I'm thinking that original was a target render.

Edit: I guess looking at it again it was originally CG...

jett

D-Member
Kagari said:
I'm thinking that original was a target render.

Nope, it was FMV, the scene where she's about to fight the big robot thing, in the first trailer it then cut to the logo. It was probably removed because Lightning's design has been altered since. I guess they figured "hey, we can do this stupid sequence in real time anyway, and it'll be cheaper than re-rendering everything". The train escape CG is also completely different from the 2006 clip.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
vicktormerv said:
Alright thats VS FFXIII music is fuckawesomse.
Shimomura and Hamauzu are the best thing about the FNC collection so far IMO.

(and kawaii nomura ^__^)

Can anyone link me to the Verzuz trailer

rhino4evr

jett said:

This is likely, especially with the addition of the port. I wouldn't worry though, they are going to make boat loads off this title on both PS3 and 360. Im interested to see how it will move PS3 systems in Japan.

They still haven't announced a 360 version in Japan right?

Wouldn't going from CG -> realtime be a case of taking the camera angles and animation data and running that on the game engine, rather than applying it all to an renderfarm with the CG level models, recording it and slapping it on the disc?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
rhino4evr said:
This is likely, especially with the addition of the port. I wouldn't worry though, they are going to make boat loads off this title on both PS3 and 360. Im interested to see how it will move PS3 systems in Japan.

They still haven't announced a 360 version in Japan right?

Exclusive to PS3 in Japan at this point.

Top Bottom