• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Final Fantasy XIII TRIAL VERSION Thread

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
stuburns said:
Outside of maybe Trico, FFVersusXIII is the game I'm most excited about, it just looks insane. Best graphics on PS3, yeah, I said it.

I just watched the End Of Eternity trailer earlier, it's very FFVersusXIII superficially.

Yeah, Versus XIII is unreal. My most anticipated game of forever, for certain.
Watching that video in higher quality, you can notice the insane amount of graphical detail... the clothing and hair movements... they're simple amazing :O I suspect it'll release in Japan Winter 2010 at this rate.

StuBurns

Banned
Kagari said:
Yeah, Versus XIII is unreal. My most anticipated game of forever, for certain.
Watching that video in higher quality, you can notice the insane amount of graphical detail... the clothing and hair movements... they're simple amazing :O I suspect it'll release in Japan Winter 2010 at this rate.

Indeed, I watched the cam version posted earlier in the thread and I wasn't really impressed with the content, I think the last trailer was a lot better, but seeing it direct feed now, it's really stunning. Looks incredible. Can't wait for the BluRay to get here.

As for the release, I really have no idea, I'm hoping it'll be fall 2010 worldwide, but I think that'd be a stretch.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
stuburns said:
Indeed, I watched the cam version posted earlier in the thread and I wasn't really impressed with the content, I think the last trailer was a lot better, but seeing it direct feed now, it's really stunning. Looks incredible. Can't wait for the BluRay to get here.

As for the release, I really have no idea, I'm hoping it'll be fall 2010 worldwide, but I think that'd be a stretch.

With Square focusing on vanilla XIII presently, I really hope they release more information on Versus this year. Last year we got a decent amount, but they really need to show off gameplay.

StuBurns

Banned
Kagari said:
With Square focusing on vanilla XIII presently, I really hope they release more information on Versus this year. Last year we got a decent amount, but they really need to show off gameplay.
They're the worst with their teasing, people were shown some exploration gameplay (not any combat) last year, and we have those mood board scan things that show a few in-game environments, but we've really seen next to nothing about it.

I was hoping we'd get a new trailer with ACC that showed some hint at gameplay. At the moment we can only speculate what the game really is, at the moment, from what they've said it's inline for being the game I've been wanting for years, but who knows. It could literally just end up being a pretentious KH, not that it would be terrible if it was, but disappointing.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I'm not sure about NeoGAF's policy on copy pasting text from magazines, but I'm reading OPM now and here's the bullet points about the localization:

- All titles (not just FF XIII) are made with localization in mind now
- Localization staff consulted during development
- Previously serial completion: JP > US > EU (in that order)
- Now all three versions are moving simultaneously
- "We aim to release it within six months of the Japanese version."

I know I'm unrealistically getting my hopes up here, but this had better include redoing all lip-synching to match the English dub. This wasn't such an issue back on the ps2 and whatnot but now that we have games where real-time cinemas might as well be movies, dubbing goes from barely noticeable to bad-foreign-film when you can see how drastically the mouths don't match up.

In today's international day and age there is no excuse! The dialog should be recorded in English and Japanese simultaneously and two lipsync tracks should be made along with them!

LiK

Tathanen said:
I know I'm unrealistically getting my hopes up here, but this had better include redoing all lip-synching to match the English dub. This wasn't such an issue back on the ps2 and whatnot but now that we have games where real-time cinemas might as well be movies, dubbing goes from barely noticeable to bad-foreign-film when you can see how drastically the mouths don't match up.

In today's international day and age there is no excuse! The dialog should be recorded in English and Japanese simultaneously and two lipsync tracks should be made along with them!

if Half-Life 2 can do it, i sure hope their engine can.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
stuburns said:
They're the worst with their teasing, people were shown some exploration gameplay (not any combat) last year, and we have those mood board scan things that show a few in-game environments, but we've really seen next to nothing about it.

I was hoping we'd get a new trailer with ACC that showed some hint at gameplay. At the moment we can only speculate what the game really is, at the moment, from what they've said it's inline for being the game I've been wanting for years, but who knows. It could literally just end up being a pretentious KH, not that it would be terrible if it was, but disappointing.

Indeed.

I wish the Noctis/Stella scene was voiced.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
LiK said:
if Half-Life 2 can do it, i sure hope their engine can.
You know I should be expecting better facial expressions and lip synch in games after HL2 and Bloodlines but pretty much all games just dont match up.

RpgN

Kagari said:
Indeed.

I wish the Noctis/Stella scene was voiced.

I hope they will be voiced better than XIII's characters. Nothing is wrong with them on the first glance, but they sound so generic and anime like, I was hoping for more. Though Sazh's voice is pretty unique, others fit to their roles. But I thought FFXII created a new standard with the voice and localization. Plus I have been spoiled with Yakuza 3 and Kenzan's voice actors, surely SE could do better or at least on par? Lol or maybe it's just me feeling that way?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
RpgN said:
I hope they will be voiced better than XIII's characters. Nothing is wrong with them on the first glance, but they sound so generic and anime like, I was hoping for more. Though Sazh's voice is pretty unique, others fit to their roles. But I thought FFXII created a new standard with the voice and localization. Plus I have been spoiled with Yakuza 3 and Kenzan's voice actors, surely SE could do better or at least on par? Lol or maybe it's just me feeling that way?

As long as Noctis isn't voiced by Miyano Mamoru, all will be right with the world.

StuBurns

Banned
I'm not feeling the art in Agito. It's not very Final Fantasy, or even very Square at all. I'm really surprised about the way the game looks. I'm still very interested of course, but I'm not nearly as excited about it as the other two.

Kyoufu

stuburns said:
I'm not feeling the art in Agito. It's not very Final Fantasy, or even very Square at all. I'm really surprised about the way the game looks. I'm still very interested of course, but I'm not nearly as excited about it as the other two.

So people are tired of Belts, Zippers, Cloud clones and Gackts but when they get something different they moan. Gotcha!

StuBurns

Banned
Kyoufu said:
So people are tired of Belts, Zippers, Cloud clones and Gackts but when they get something different they moan. Gotcha!
There are a ton of great looking games not drenched in the art associated with Nomura. I don't like this specific art direction, doesn't mean I only like the art in the other two.

RpgN

Kagari said:
As long as Noctis isn't voiced by Miyano Mamoru, all will be right with the world.

Is he that bad? :lol

On FFXIII, that kid is such a chicken and lazy, the one from Nora team. Really hilarious, that girl could easily kick his ass.

stuburns said:

You mean the ingame models or just the intro? It does have its own style which is a good thing to me.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
for some reason i kept getting the shin megami tensei (specifically raiduo) vibe in the agito trailer at the beginning where the weird- rendered guy is giving a speech or somethin'.

StuBurns

Banned
RpgN said:
You mean the ingame models or just the intro? It does have its own style which is a good thing to me.
Either, the intro reminds me of this awful British sitcom called Dad's Army, and that uniform is terrible, they look like the bad guys from the three musketeers.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I can never really correctly break down a turn-based battle system until I play it.... but I'm watching those videos, and it looks like you basically queue up a series of commands and then the game will perform them? Is that right?

StuBurns

Banned
ZealousD said:
I can never really correctly break down a turn-based battle system until I play it.... but I'm watching those videos, and it looks like you basically queue up a series of commands and then the game will perform them? Is that right?
Essentially, yes.

Rpgmonkey

The Versus trailer sucked, the Agito one was okay.

Demo was fairly enjoyable to watch, but I would've been pretty underwhelmed had I bought it.

joesmokey

distantmantra said:
From NCSX's daily email:

PS3 Cloud Black Bundles on the way
Japanese distributors have shipped our PS3 Cloud Bundles last night along with the FFVII AC Limited Edition Blu-Rays. Both shipments are scheduled to arrive tomorrow and preorders are shipping out on Thursday. Please note however that some Cloud bundle shipments were sent from different vendors which have not pre-cleared through customs as of 11:30AM EST today. If they don't clear on time, there is a chance that some bundles may not arrive until Friday. Just a heads up to alert everyone of the split incoming shipments.
You know I preordered from NCSX back in January (still have the e-mail), but it seems that I don't even have an actual account with them. No email/password combination works and the password reminder doesn't even send anything.

Hopefully I'm still counted as a preorder :/.

Amir0x

Banned
Himuro said:
FFX-2 is more non-linear than FFXII and its environments are probably what you would consider to be "corridors".

FFX-2 had a non-linear mission structure; its level design was still extremely lazy boring corridor shit. These are two entirely separate types of game elements and as such, each can be independently judged. FFXIII may have linear corridor dungeons and non-linear mission structure too, for all we really know. So your point here makes less and less sense as it goes on, basically just devolving to limpdicked defense now.

I liked FFX because there were things other than lazy boring corridor dungeon design that were good about it. I suspect even if FFXIII follows that crap design exactly, there will still be things appealing about it. Just like even though FFX-2 had terrible level design and a storyline that set back the women's rights movement 100 years, it still had a rad battle system.

The demo merely suggested that the game takes after FFX in design. Even though FFXII's demo was 'linear', you could tell from the way they roped off the segments that it was intentionally limited. You could not see that in this demo. Clearly, this part of the game is meant to be played in this corridor dungeon with no deviation. It worries me that it is so reminiscent to FFX's design, not that it needed to be said for the hundredth time.

So for clarity: Nobody is saying "OMG EVERYTHING IS DEFINITELY CORRIDORS NOOO WHY". They are saying "the demo seemed to indicate more FFX-like crap corridor design, that's worrisome. Can't pass final judgment obviously, but I hope it's not like that."

After all, everything in this thread - positive or negative - is being judged off very early material.

Phatcorns

jett said:
That doesn't make any sense. The trailer with the square hands appeared before the picture with the upgraded model. Demo build is from last year as well. Vanille's face/necklace still doesn't look as detailed as what Squeenix showed in August last year though.

Ah, I misunderstood. I thought that the square fingers were screenshots from the demo. So I thought that the round finger screenshots were older.

.GqueB.

Banned
woah WOAH WOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!

Versus looks friggin amazing. This is the first time Ive seen any real footage of it.

B.K.

I didn't see the Agito trailer. Was it new or was it the same target footage that's been online since last year?

StuBurns

Banned
B.K. said:
I didn't see the Agito trailer. Was it new or was it the same target footage that's been online since last year?
It's new for public release, it shows the PSP build. I think it's from the ∑ event.

Kagari said:

The new trailer is amazing, I am SO hyped for Agito. Do we know if the plot is still the same as what was initially announced? I thought that originally the narrative was supposed to follow kids at a military academy of some sort and involved using cards. I wonder if this is still the case? Game looks absolutely amazing as well.

54-46!

Just watched the demo, gameplay looks alright but I don't moonspeak so I didn't know what was going on with the attack moves and spells etc.

Clearing up a few things though:
- Only one character was being controlled in the demo? otherwise it sure looked like a mess.
- You'll be able to control a whole party later on right?

I really like the futuristic level and monster design. Lightning and Snow looked decent but the other party members looked stupid to be honest.. what's up with the whore waving her ass around during battle? I sure hope we won't be seeing more of them after this part of the game.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Damn, that's pretty. Just watched someone play through the demo. Damn, that's pretty.

Doesn't look progressive in any other way, not that I expect FF to be.

Like the heroine! Please tell me that's not a dude. The black guy with the bird in his afro...why is he dancing to a funk groove in the background during battle animations when he's not getting knocked around? Gotta love the Japanese.

StuBurns

Banned
TheChillyAcademic said:
Is the scene between Stella and Noctis all in game engine? If so that is absolutely ridiculous lol
Yep, that's in-game. Most likely higher poly models than we'll get during gameplay though.

rataven

Wow good stuff. Versus looks awesome. My excitement for that game is just edging past XIIIs. This is really Nomura's baby, without any SE powers-that-be pressure or Disney obligations to fulfill.

Hadn't paid much attention to Agito up until now, but that looked pretty amazing too. My faith in SE has possibly been restored.

Top Bottom