• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Final Fantasy XIII TRIAL VERSION Thread

so i watched some of the youtube videos of the demo that have been posted online. i cant say it got me too excited about the game in general. i found the character designs to be just a little bit unflattering.

Aeana

clashfan said:
Turn base combat? Looks alot like a HD FFX.
The battle system is definitely an evolution of FF10-2, not FF10. I don't know why the developers said 10, since 10 didn't even use ATB...

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Aeana said:
The battle system is definitely an evolution of FF10-2, not FF10. I don't know why the developers said 10, since 10 didn't even use ATB...

I think I'm the only one who would have preferred TB combat

Aeana

HK-47 said:
I think I'm the only one who would have preferred TB combat
I always prefer turn-based, but I won't deny that FF10-2 is one of the most fun combat systems I've ever used in an RPG.

QUIXAND 89

Neo Member
It's strange man. I hate RPGs because I have yet to find one that "clicked" with me. For some strange reason, after watching the Final Fantasy 13 demo stream, I'm really excited about FF13. The graphics, the music, and the design of the levels got me really interested and hyped for this game. Is that weird? :lol

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
QUIXAND 89 said:
It's strange man. I hate RPGs because I have yet to find one that "clicked" with me. For some strange reason, after watching the Final Fantasy 13 demo stream, I'm really excited about FF13. The graphics, the music, and the design of the levels got really interested and hyped for this game. Is that weird? :lol

Very.

rataven

It's going to be fun reading everyone's impressions. My order is chillin' in Hong Kong somewhere, so I doubt I'll get it until Monday. You guys better post lots of details!

I am so excited. ATB FTW!

clashfan

Aeana said:
I always prefer turn-based, but I won't deny that FF10-2 is one of the most fun combat systems I've ever used in an RPG.

I would have prefered FF style story and exploration with DMC style combat.

ant1532

Banned
some questions as iv been out of the loop

1.is this still coming to the 360? if so, is it going to be a simultaneous launch or some other bullshit?
2. Versus 13 coming for 360 or ps3 exclusive?
3. Is the agito game only for psp?

Defuser

ant1532 said:
some questions as iv been out of the loop

1.is this still coming to the 360? if so, is it going to be a simultaneous launch or some other bullshit?
2. Versus 13 coming for 360 or ps3 exclusive?
3. Is the agito game only for psp?
1)JP FFXIII for PS3 first. US FFXIII for 360/Ps3 later.
2)PS3
3)Yes.

Kagari said:
mccol1738-img600x450-1239789774fv1e.jpg

mccol1738-img600x450-1239789774k0fd.jpg
That yours? I gotta wait until Friday for mine. =(

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Aeana said:
To me too. I only got truly hyped for FFXIII when I knew it would be an evolution of X-2's system and watched the trailer that had combat footage.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
donkey show said:
That yours? I gotta wait until Friday for mine. =(

Nah, not mine. I think I'll wait and see what they do for the XIII bundle, and if that isn't what I want, the Versus XIII bundle, because you know they're coming.

Kagari said:
Nah, not mine. I think I'll wait and see what they do for the XIII bundle, and if that isn't what I want, the Versus XIII bundle, because you know they're coming.
True that. I had to pull the trigger on this one since it'd look cool with my Crisis Core PSP and other FF7 shizzle. It'd be tight if they pulled some Crystalline looking Triple and call it Lighting White or such.

jett

D-Member
Oh sweetness, I'm downloading all of those HD youtube vids and watching them on my PS3...it's almost like having the demo.

Almost...except for artifacting and that frigging youtube user's label. :p

final-fantasy-xiii-20090304110013269_640w.jpg

This shot was indeed real time. That's quite amazing.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Well guys, I'm off to work to pick up FFVII ACC. Then I'm going to have lunch, clock out of work and come home and play.

I still have to do some last minute apartment cleaning, so I'll probably put on ACC and clean my apartment this afternoon. Anyway, have fun GAF!

Llyranor

The combat system certainly shows good potential. There needs to be proper gameplay consequences attributed to what kind of combo sequence you build up, as opposed to just being flashy. Once full party control is in, should allow for some interesting maneuvers.

It also seems as though actions can be interrupted, depending on when commands are being inputted (from the video, anyway - there was some point where the enemy was moving up to attack, but was hit first, which cancelled its action). Do you have to select 'all 3' actions before acting, or can you just select 1 or 2, and then have your next ATB slider already partially charged for your next command input? Could make for some interesting tactics where you send characters to make quick attacks to interrupt enemies instead of unleashing their full arsenal.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Y2Kev said:
Jett, don't you think you're going to develop a mental disorder worrying about this so much :)

I think he already has one. Its like OCD but for graphical comparisons

jett

D-Member
Y2Kev said:
Jett, don't you think you're going to develop a mental disorder worrying about this so much :)

What? ...I didn't even mention how her glove an is slightly blockier in the demo...oh damn I just did. :p

Eh maybe you're right and I should stop. :p

tbh that vanille squarehands picture might be here to stay and i'm fine with it, graphics are spectacular as they are

Durante

jett said:
This shot was indeed real time. That's quite amazing.
I told people that it was based on the hair but most wouldn't believe.

What amazes me is the image quality seen in the few full-size shots available so far. It looks like it may not just render real 720p but even have AA with that. That's in a totally different league compared to other current-gen JRPGs (despite also having a far more modern lighting model). Mental disorder much?

DJmizuhara said:
I've just picked up my copy so expect a few HD videos on gamersyde in the coming hours.
You are a true modern-day hero.

I just watched the FFXII demo on youtube for the first time and I was surprised at how basic it played compared to the real game. It's pretty standard for FF demos to be restricted in a lot of ways. They don't even let you access menus or items. So I wouldn't bother trying to extrapolate anything meaningful from this demo other than the basic framework of the battles. The portion in the demo itself is likely to play and look a lot different in the real game.

Llyranor

From all the gushing over Versus, I expected something other than a simple cutscene. At least the music is nice (but not new >_<). I'll wait until gameplay details are actually revealed.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Llyranor said:
From all the gushing over Versus, I expected something other than a simple cutscene. At least the music is nice (but not new >_<). I'll wait until gameplay details are actually revealed.

I dont have much hope for it romance wise. Gaming is hopeless at writing convincing ones. Thats probably why I not look forward to it much

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Llyranor said:
The combat system certainly shows good potential. There needs to be proper gameplay consequences attributed to what kind of combo sequence you build up, as opposed to just being flashy. Once full party control is in, should allow for some interesting maneuvers.

It also seems as though actions can be interrupted, depending on when commands are being inputted (from the video, anyway - there was some point where the enemy was moving up to attack, but was hit first, which cancelled its action). Do you have to select 'all 3' actions before acting, or can you just select 1 or 2, and then have your next ATB slider already partially charged for your next command input? Could make for some interesting tactics where you send characters to make quick attacks to interrupt enemies instead of unleashing their full arsenal.
Yes interruptions are there, that's why the guns are useful.

Yes you can only use 1 or 2 bars to attack, makes chaining faster when all enemies are weakened by, say, 2 Firagas.

Additionally if you input extra commands and 'execute'
Say attack x3, but it only takes 2 hits, then the last hit is wasted.

I like that.

I just skimmed through a video. I'm glad to see the load time for battles seem short in this demo. The last JRPG I played was Lost Odyssey and the load time for battles drove me crazy.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Yoboman said:
XII was a good challenge. Hopefully XIII is like that

XII was piss easy outside of a couple of the post game bosses and some of the hunts. ANd that game is easy to break

Llyranor

HK-47 said:
I dont have much hope for it romance wise. Gaming is hopeless at writing convincing ones. Thats probably why I not look forward to it much
Well, my interest in it stems mostly from World Ends With You, which is a pretty spot-on ARPG with very nice gameplay mechanics. I just want a good combat system. If they put some of their forward-thinking elements into Versus, should be pretty interesting.

Hazaro said:
Yes interruptions are there, that's why the guns are useful.

Yes you can only use 1 or 2 bars to attack, makes chaining faster when all enemies are weakened by, say, 2 Firagas.

Additionally if you input extra commands and 'execute'
Say attack x3, but it only takes 2 hits, then the last hit is wasted.

I like that.
Very nice, very nice.

Top Bottom