• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Final Fantasy XIII TRIAL VERSION Thread

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
PC Gaijin said:
If I'm reading that breakdown correctly, the movies on the demo take up 4.42GB? Good lord. :lol Everything else (engine, environments, and other data) looks small. Wonder what format those movies are in? Thinking they're going to have to compress the hell out of those videos for the 360. Some sort of Windows Media codec to the rescue? I have no idea what the 360 uses for video...
They'll have to compress the hell out of those movies on the PS3, never lone the 360.

MCD

PC Gaijin said:
If I'm reading that breakdown correctly, the movies on the demo take up 4.42GB? Good lord. :lol Everything else (engine, environments, and other data) looks small. Wonder what format those movies are in? Thinking they're going to have to compress the hell out of those videos for the 360. Some sort of Windows Media codec to the rescue? I have no idea what the 360 uses for video...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VC-1

Rez said:
They'll have to compress the hell out of those movies on the PS3, never lone the 360.

actually its probably just not compressed efficiently for the demo... Eh, even if the 360 movies are more compressed (which they will be), I doubt they will look anything other than amazing...

zoukka

My thoughts: Graphics look great but the style falls between "random" and "star wars". I hate the storm stroopers and the plastic creatures. Music sounds ok and the overall audiovisual feel of the game gives me clear FFX vibes mixed with XII star wars influences. It will be interesting how they'll handle the heavy sci-fi in this game.

Combat looks really nice. The only nitpicks I have is the ATB-meter which should go because just giving characters turns would eliminate the waiting thus making the combat more fluid and faster. I hope the enemy death animation is a placeholder.

I've never digged the character designs but the black guy seems ok. I'd rather take a comical relief type than anything else really nowadays. Lightning seems pretty boring with her allcool maneuvers.

The linearity looks terrible, but I'd imagine it's just the demo. All in all very FFX-esque with more sci-fi. Not bad... but doesn't get me too excited either.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
zoukka said:
My thoughts: Graphics look great but the style falls between "random" and "star wars". I hate the storm stroopers and the plastic creatures. Music sounds ok and the overall audiovisual feel of the game gives me clear FFX vibes mixed with XII star wars influences. It will be interesting how they'll handle the heavy sci-fi in this game.

Combat looks really nice. The only nitpicks I have is the ATB-meter which should go because just giving characters turns would eliminate the waiting thus making the combat more fluid and faster. I hope the enemy death animation is a placeholder.

I've never digged the character designs but the black guy seems ok. I'd rather take a comical relief type than anything else really nowadays. Lightning seems pretty boring with her allcool maneuvers.

The linearity looks terrible, but I'd imagine it's just the demo. All in all very FFX-esque with more sci-fi. Not bad... but doesn't get me too excited either.

The whole point of ATB is to interrupt enemies and force characters to react at the same time. Turns would completely change the pacing of battle, and eliminate the point of launch attacks. Additionally, because of ATB, you can choose to use one, two or three attacks a turn. If it was turn based, you'd have to create a new point value to balance why one would use one attack instead of 3. ATB balances it with time. If you want to do Blizzaga, you just have to wait longer. Simple as that. I found myself using just a single attack and pushing the command through just to finish off an enemy before it attacked me. It didn't really save my life, but this is the beginning of the game. I imagine it will be more useful as you go into the game.

I actually really like the art style, and just like FFVII, I expect to see a LOT of variety once the cahracters leave the first "city".

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
nelsonroyale said:
actually its probably just not compressed efficiently for the demo... Eh, even if the 360 movies are more compressed (which they will be), I doubt they will look anything other than amazing...
oh yeah, sure, that's what I meant. I'm not saying they'll look worst, I'm just saying that even for the PS3, come optimization time, a lot of those movies are going to take up significantly less space on the BD.

what a strange concept art..she seems to be laying down in some kind of vehicle...hmm I don't think that's Shiva, although it could be a summon or a new character. I'd like to know what that new message says, we need a translation.

I guess some people wanted lightning to have pegasus wings to glide around the environment...otherwise I am not seeing how we could make a straight walk way non-linear... I get it, maybe people want them to add some curvature...

Anyway, saying this game has ffx vibes is kind of obvious...I mean its pretty much by the same team... Mass effect has KOTOR vibes. Really?

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
So does everyone hate the game yet?
Going to go pick up my copy in a few minutes...

jiggle

ps3_01.jpg

ps3_03.jpg

ps3_05.jpg

ps3_11.jpg

ps3_12.jpg

ps3_14.jpg

ps3_15.jpg

more at http://gigazine.net/index.php?/news/comments/20090416_ps3_ff7ac/

VindicatorZ said:
what a strange concept art..she seems to be laying down in some kind of vehicle...hmm I don't think that's Shiva, although it could be a summon or a new character. I'd like to know what that new message says, we need a translation.

what concept art?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
RevenantKioku said:

I really like what is there in the battle system right now. I'm interested to see how scanning, equipment and the like work in the full game.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
RevenantKioku said:
well, it'll take you a couple of minutes to get your copy and get home again, then 40 minutes to play through, so while there isn't any real hatred yet, I'd say there's roughly an hour until hate is introduced into the thread

<3

zoukka

thetrin said:
The whole point of ATB is to interrupt enemies and force characters to react at the same time. Turns would completely change the pacing of battle, and eliminate the point of launch attacks. Additionally, because of ATB, you can choose to use one, two or three attacks a turn. If it was turn based, you'd have to create a new point value to balance why one would use one attack instead of 3. ATB balances it with time. If you want to do Blizzaga, you just have to wait longer. Simple as that. I found myself using just a single attack and pushing the command through just to finish off an enemy before it attacked me. It didn't really save my life, but this is the beginning of the game. I imagine it will be more useful as you go into the game.

You are probably right. Though the turns wouldn't eliminate comboing if the actions were immediate and animations would be interruptable (lol). But like I said the combat looks fine. Probably the best part about this game right now.

Still I hope they ramp up the visuals in effects and don't continue the XII line where even Flare looked like a fart. I hope the summons really do some damage and top the ones in FFIX.

thetrin

Rez said:
well, it'll take you a couple of minutes to get your copy and get home again, then 40 minutes to play through, so while there isn't any real hatred yet, I'd say there's roughly an hour until hate is introduced into the thread

<3

Truthfully though, I don't think it matters if gaffers don't like the game. Gaffers don't play games anyway.

zoukka said:
You are probably right. Though the turns wouldn't eliminate comboing if the actions were immediate and animations would be interruptable (lol). But like I said the combat looks fine. Probably the best part about this game right now.

Still I hope they ramp up the visuals in effects and don't continue the XII line where even Flare looked like a fart. I hope the summons really do some damage and top the ones in FFIX.

Well, I think that ship sailed after FFVI Ultima.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
thetrin said:
Truthfully though, I don't think it matters if gaffers don't like the game. Gaffers don't play games anyway.
that's an oxymoron, GAF is a game

zoukka said:

there is a vid where the scorpian flying robot thing unleashes a massive beam...looks pretty spectacular...I completely agree with you though..the only effects in ffxii which were impressive were the summons, and they weren't really useful!

Fady K

WOW I SO WANT THAT PS3!

nelsonroyale said:
holy cheese, the only bad thing I can say so far is that the audio of the footsteps is far too loud...sounds like a metronome...I originally thought it was part of the music...crap beat is what I initially thought

Reminds me of the Xenosaga series, footsteps were far too loud. I hope this changes with FFXIII.

Ristlager

I have loved every FF game since ff5, even x-2 (probably the only one here?), so I am going to love this one too. But after the FFXII and its battle system I feel that this is going backwards. I know a lot of you really want a ATB system again, but I would have prefered a modified FFXII battlesystem. And I do get annoyed when you deal more damage with one punch with your fists than when you shoot someone with a gun 10 times.

Ristlager said:
I have loved every FF game since ff5, even x-2 (probably the only one here?), so I am going to love this one too. But after the FFXII and its battle system I feel that this is going backwards. I know a lot of you really want a ATB system again, but I would have prefered a modified FFXII battlesystem. And I do get annoyed when you deal more damage with one punch with your fists than when you shoot someone with a gun 10 times.

eh, I think it is a compromise: its fast paced, almost seemless, visually impressive and there are no random encounters. If it wasn't for versus I might have been disappointed...but it seems versus has that tip covered, and is actually going much further than ffxii, which pleases me greately....actually engaging with the enemy in ffxii wasn't really that interactive (it was still my fave battle system in the series though)

Rpgmonkey

It's not a new character or anything. It's just concept art from when the project was starting off.

half a moon said:
Since I wont get this demo for a while... I'm watching it for the first time:

The battle transition annoys me. The UI should just slide up when you enter battle.The rank up screen annoys me too. One or both hides loading, but it could be done more intuitively IMO.

The knock up that one best does is too repetitive.

Note: I'm just nitpicking things. I know I'll love this game.

Personally I don't mind the battle results thing, but I do dislike how they did the transition into battle. I would prefer if they just had it load without the special effect on the screen.

I kinda miss getting the fanfare and all that after fights besides bosses, but when the effects screen effects when a battle is about to start aren't even done to transition into a "battlefield" separate from the place you just were, it's sorta weird to me.

acm2000

just watched the videos, hmm, too much prerendered cgi, followed by too many broken up little battles, and the graphics arent even amazing, although they do set the bar for a japanese dev co this gen so far, looking forward to finding out how many discs the 360 version will be with the amount of crappy pre-rendered scenes :D

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
darkwings said:
Does anyone know if FFXIII will have limitbreaks like FFVII, FFVIII, FFIX and FFX did? I especially loved the limitbreaks in FF8.

XII had limit breaks under a different name and system

I'd also like to know the answer to this

Sirolf

acm2000 said:
just watched the videos, hmm, too much prerendered cgi, followed by too many broken up little battles, and the graphics arent even amazing, although they do set the bar for a japanese dev co this gen so far, looking forward to finding out how many discs the 360 version will be with the amount of crappy pre-rendered scenes :D

Then go play Infinite Odyssey (or a similar masterpiece) on your cherished 360 then..

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
acm2000 said:

So now the graphics arent amazing, the cgi is crappy and little broken up battles...right.

You sure you are watching the right videos, or are you just trolling?

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
well just played through the whole thing, took under 45 mins. amazing. however, anyone else playing it notice the slowdown/framerate drop during the cutscenes from the first boss to the last boss basically? the stuff before and after is fine (and gorgeous) but all the scenes in the middle seem laggy. im assuming its because its all coming off the disc.

StuBurns

Banned
The demo is already old code, and engine optimization really gets tightened up towards the end of production, I wouldn't worry about any performance issues in the demo being representative of the final product.

HK-47 said:
So now the graphics arent amazing, the cgi is crappy and little broken up battles...right.

You sure you are watching the right videos, or are you just trolling?

and then he says it has the best visuals for a japanese dev...considering MGS4 and RE5 thats no small feat...also I am always interested in the supposed visual standards among western devs...there are quite a few companies outputting amazing visuals, and the majority outputting mediocre fare...

Zanasea

stuburns said:
The demo is already old code, and engine optimization really gets tightened up towards the end of production, I wouldn't worry about any performance issues in the demo being representative of the final product.
Well I guess the developers pretty much apologized for every aspect of the demo: graphics, framerate, incomplete battle system, lack of victory fanfare...

WOW!!! I can't wait for this. It looks and sounds amazing so far. The wait's gonna be tough. I gotta admit, I wasn't a big fan of FF12's gambit style combat at first, but it won me over on my second play through. I get the feeling that the battle system in this one might turn out to be some sort of hybrid between 12's gambit system and the earlier games.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
HK-47 said:
It never left, you Matsuno loathing bastard!
I can now finally quit hoping I would end up liking 12 more than 13. 12 remains on the bottom. Poopers get ready!
Give us impressions!
They are definitely holding back in this demo. That much is easy enough to tell. They just wanted us to get a taste of it and not that I wasn't going to buy the thing anyway, they managed to squeeze some money out of me on a bad movie. Go them!

Assuming a customization system no worse than the license board system, we have fun battles ahead. Knocking enemies up in the air and then hitting them with magic and then an attack was fun. -ga spells hitting multiple targets was nice to see. The damage of the -ga spells seemed to be less if I spammed 3 regulars at an enemy, but then again the -ga spells hit multiple enemies and tended to knock them over, which means more time for your bars to fill up and you get a new attack in.

I want to say positioning matters and it doesn't. Timing may be a more apt thing. I had Lightning interrupt an enemy that was attacking Sazh one time. I also had an enemy interrupt Snow's Launch, but he got his Blizzard and Attack to go through. I also had Snow set to attack an enemy that was standing behind another, and the enemy got in the way and my attacks whiffed.

You only controlled one character but there was a flag showing who you were controlling. Perhaps it will be like FF12 where there is a leader select? Sazh's HP was showing so he'll be a permanent (or as to say, customizable) character, whereas Snow's two buddies whose names escape my memory at the moment had ??? listed for their HP. I'm really hoping they will have a leader change option, but if not I don't see that offending me too much as long as my customization is there.

Chests only contained money. Is this telling us there will be no items? There sure is no item command in battle, but again, what are they holding from us? Mind you, I have read nothing about this game. Only watched the trailer released a bit back and played this demo.

But the main point of this demo is to tease you. There is no doubt about it.

Guess I'll watch Advent Children now.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
RevenantKioku said:
Chests only contained money. Is this telling us there will be no items? There sure is no item command in battle, but again, what are they holding from us? Mind you, I have read nothing about this game. Only watched the trailer released a bit back and played this demo.
There are apparently items in the game but they were locked for the demo. Well, at least they said they were locked, but I wouldn't be amazed if they actually weren't even implemented in the game at that point. Thanks for the impressions btw.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Its been confirmed that you will have control over all party members in the full release.

Also I always wondered why you have a beef with Matsuno. Do you dislike all his games?

RevenantKioku

Ogre Battle, hate. Tactics, hate. FF Tactics, decent amount of hate. Vagrant Story, hate. FF12, you know the deal. If there is anything else, I hate it by proxy at this point.

Nice to hear that party will be controllable and that items will be in. Only reconfirms that they were hiding as much as they could in this demo. (That or it isn't done, lawl.)

Top Bottom