• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Final Fantasy XIII TRIAL VERSION Thread

Shouta

Finished the demo. I really dug it. Love the aesthetics, graphics are fantastic, and the music pretty good.

The battles system surprised me. If they really develop this further, it could really be something. It's a really fast FFX-2 but with a bit of Valkyrie Profile in it. Definitely optimistic.

LiK

Shouta said:
Finished the demo. I really dug it. Love the aesthetics, graphics are fantastic, and the music pretty good.

The battles system surprised me. If they really develop this further, it could really be something. It's a really fast FFX-2 but with a bit of Valkyrie Profile in it. Definitely optimistic.

wow, interesting comparison.

Shouta said:

I'm especially looking forward to the way things can be modified with accessories - now that MP is pretty clearly out of the picture, there could be some uber accessory that cuts every move's ATB cost in half (with a minimum of one "slot"), or even that cuts all ATB cost down to 1, which would open up tons of possibilities.

I'm still hoping that we get a full magic/abilities submenu - the way the attacks were arranged in the demo makes me worry that you'll only be able to equip a few spells at a time rather than having full black/white/(whatever) magic submenus. I understand that they're going for speed here, but I think the ideal solution would be something like the Kingdom Hearts favorite spell shortcut, i.e. hold a shoulder button to see a condensed list with all of your favorite commands in it.

Very, very curious to see what the ability/leveling system will end up as. Also curious to see how multiple character control will work out - I'm fine if they have some kind of AI in the final game when you're not controlling them, as long as the character switching mechanic is much smoother than the one in FFXII.

Shouta said:

Faster than FFX-2? That was the only rpg where I had to turn the battle speed down:lol

Shouta

LiK said:
wow, interesting comparison.

It's the potential for comboing that reminds me of VP.

There are 4 commands in the demo for Lightning and Snow, Fight, Launch, Level Magic, and Level 3 magic (Fire and Firaga for Lightning while it's Blizzard and Blizzaga for snow). Fight is self-explanatory. Launch allows you to lift an enemy into the air when the enemy hits a certain status allowing you to air combo it. I don't know how to trigger the condition except for beating the crap out of the enemy but that ended up killing them too fast. :lol Fire and Blizzard are single target while Firaga and Blizzaga are multi-target around the enemy that's targeted, they also lift the enemy up in varying heights.

The timing was really lucky but I managed to launch an enemy in the air, smack it twice with fight when Sazh (or however you spell it) hits the guy with 3 fires to juggle and kill the guy after I finished the attack. It was really neat.

That actually where my worry lays, if you can't influence the AI or control your partners, it'll be a lot harder to get cool juggles and to keep long chains going.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
CloudV said:
2. Battles are fast! One thing, though, that I'm at a loss is cure. You select white magic > then you pick who you want to cure, then you can execute command. The thing is, while you're on this screen you can't have one cure on Sazh, then one on lightning, it seems. You have to cure Sazh, back out to the top menu, then select Lightning to cure her? Seems a little convoluted, unless I'm missing something.
My guess is Curaga will target multiple allies. That, and perhaps there will be skills that just can't be put into chains with other skills. Seems just like a design choice and not one that particularly bothers me. Puts a different sort of emphasis on healing.

Shouta said:
Launch allows you to lift an enemy into the air when the enemy hits a certain status allowing you to air combo it. I don't know how to trigger the condition except for beating the crap out of the enemy
Was there something that showed you that they could be launched? I missed it, if so. I just kept throwing launch either into the beginning or middle of my combo for the hell of it and sometimes cool shit happened. :lol

Shouta

RevenantKioku said:
My guess is Curaga will target multiple allies. That, and perhaps there will be skills that just can't be put into chains with other skills. Seems just like a design choice and not one that particularly bothers me. Puts a different sort of emphasis on healing.

I left healing to the AI because they were fast at healing both of the characters than I was hah.

RevenantKioku said:
Was there something that showed you that they could be launched? I missed it, if so. I just kept throwing launch either into the beginning or middle of my combo for the hell of it and sometimes cool shit happened. :lol

They' start glowing gold/yellowish for a short while, that allows a launch. It can happen to you as well though apparently. I got launched by the boss of Snow's section for 700 damage.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Blim to the rescue, as usual. Much kudos.

I said I was going to steer clear of any media for this game in the hopes that it might reignite that passionate hype and blind fervor that I used to feel every time a new Final Fantasy was shown.. but I couldn't resist.

Loved the visuals which seems to be a mixed cue from FFVII and FFX and whilst I hate the dark futuristic setting in certain instances where it seems like it has to be just that for the sake of it, I still enjoyed it. The battle system looks really interesting but I'll reserve judgment on it until I actually play the damn thing. Characters seem much more appealing than the countless pictures and shitty avatars that are floating around, I have high hopes that the localisation team will be worthwhile considering FFXII's leap of faith over FFX. S-E have picked up their game since DQVIII was released so there shouldn't be too much fear over voice acting.

Hamauzuuuuuu~ Anything this guy shits out seems to be gold. The music was grandiose yet so modest like everything Hamauzu does and I'm so glad to see him flex his muscles and stretch the fingers on something as important as this.

LiK said:
they ship in the afternoon EST.

People are already getting their copies from other sites which is why I will probably not order from NCS ever again. I think the problem is NCS is in New York. Their stock goes from Japan all the way to New York then to you. Whereas Play-Asia, it goes from Japan to Hong Kong then to you. Much more efficient, I'm surprised NCS has been around still after all these years.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Shouta said:
It's the potential for comboing that reminds me of VP.

There are 4 commands in the demo for Lightning and Snow, Fight, Launch, Level Magic, and Level 3 magic (Fire and Firaga for Lightning while it's Blizzard and Blizzaga for snow). Fight is self-explanatory. Launch allows you to lift an enemy into the air when the enemy hits a certain status allowing you to air combo it. I don't know how to trigger the condition except for beating the crap out of the enemy but that ended up killing them too fast. :lol Fire and Blizzard are single target while Firaga and Blizzaga are multi-target around the enemy that's targeted, they also lift the enemy up in varying heights.

The timing was really lucky but I managed to launch an enemy in the air, smack it twice with fight when Sazh (or however you spell it) hits the guy with 3 fires to juggle and kill the guy after I finished the attack. It was really neat.

That actually where my worry lays, if you can't influence the AI or control your partners, it'll be a lot harder to get cool juggles and to keep long chains going.

Thanks for that.

Digital-Hero said:
People are already getting their copies from other sites which is why I will probably not order from NCS ever again. I think the problem is NCS is in New York. Their stock goes from Japan all the way to New York then to you. Whereas Play-Asia, it goes from Japan to Hong Kong then to you. Much more efficient, I'm surprised NCS has been around still after all these years.

NCSX have always been good to me. I get my stuff a day after they ship it and they have nice customer service.

Shadow780

Digital-Hero said:

Meh, one day isn't that big of a difference.

jett

D-Member
It's crazy how everything moves properly in that Versus video. Noctis's shirt, coat, pants, even his freaking shoelaces. Stella's dress also animates awesomely...and her fucking belt buckle too. :lol No game released so far approaches this kind of detail. To be honest you have to wonder just how "real" this is.

suspect lack of zippers too

LiK

Digital-Hero said:

i get my orders next day from them with standard shipping and their customer service is superb. i have no complaints. i know i'll receive my order from NCSX tomorrow when they ship today. unless you chose next day shipping from Play-Asia, you're not gonna get it anytime this week.

speedpop

Shadow780 said:
Meh, one day isn't that big of a difference.
Impatience is the straw that broke the camels back as they say. Some people can clearly wait awhile, others will line up days in advance for a midnight launch.

Digital-Hero said:

NCSX is more consistent and has tangible customer service.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
jett said:
It's crazy how everything moves properly in that Versus video. Noctis's shirt, coat, pants, even his freaking shoelaces. Stella's dress also animates awesomely...and her fucking belt buckle too. :lol No game released so far approaches this kind of detail.

The clothes do indeed move fantastically, but I'm still not convinced the actual character movement itself is up to the same quality. It still looks very... I can't quite put a word on it, but it feels unnatural. They still move like Final Fantasy characters, as dumb as that statement sounds.

Of course, it is still top caliber, but as I mentioned earlier in this thread, not yet quite on the level of MGS4 or RE5, I feel.

speedpop

jett said:
It's crazy how everything moves properly in that Versus video. Noctis's shirt, coat, pants, even his freaking shoelaces. Stella's dress also animates awesomely...and her fucking belt buckle too. :lol No game released so far approaches this kind of detail. To be honest you have to wonder just how "real" this is.

The hairstyles still make me chuckle though. It does indeed look like a beautiful game but maybe Nomura entered the wrong line of business; should've been a hair stylist or fashion designer.

JudgeN said:
Are there limit breaks or something to that effect on the game?
Yeah probably, but they've not divulged anything on that
i remember Lightning's thumb gizmo was called 'overclock mode' or something to that effect, you could use it in battle to control time/ fly around and shit, or something

StuBurns

Banned
jett said:

It does seem noticeably 'next-gen' in a few areas. There's a bit where his hair is pushed and it looks insane.

If it's real, and I think it probably is, it's the best looking PS3 game. Stunning.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
jett said:

The highly sought after middle ware for zipper rendering is currently going through rigorous QA at Square before Sony green lights it for external use.

LiK

speedpop said:
The hairstyles still make me chuckle though. It does indeed look like a beautiful game but maybe Nomura entered the wrong line of business; should've been a hair stylist or fashion designer.

Nomura was probably obsessed with J-rock music videos ;)

jett

D-Member
Rez said:
The clothes do indeed move fantastically, but I'm still not convinced the actual character movement itself is up to the same quality. It still looks very... I can't quite put a word on it, but it feels unnatural. They still move like Final Fantasy characters, as dumb as that statement sounds.

Of course, it is still top caliber, but as I mentioned earlier in this thread, not yet quite on the level of MGS4 or RE5, I feel.

final-fantasy-versus-xiii-20080826034423278.jpg

Eh, this looks way better than any MGS4 character. I think the problem that you mention is that they move in a very overacted animu/japanese way...just like most japanese games. Especially the woman. Could they make it more obvious that she's an innocent and frail little flower? :p If they had done the motion capturing with western actors it'd look very different I think.

Shadow780

e0svpy.jpg

That's a very interesting back design for a suit, some kind of a half cape connected to belts on the other side.

Surprised I've never noticed that before. Can't wait to buy it.:D

StuBurns

Banned
They aren't meant to look perfectly human, I'm sure if Nomura wanted them to, they would.

And some of the character models in MGS4 look absurd, Naomi looks like a sex doll, she's all shiny.

Durante

I'm still extremely happy (and surprised) about the rendering quality in the demo. I didn't think I would see quality like that in a JRPG this gen (outside of the TLR PC release!). It would be strange to regress in IQ before the final release, but I somehow can't believe that they can keep it up for the full game. I fervently hope so though.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
jett said:
http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/903/903020/final-fantasy-versus-xiii-20080826034423278.jpg[/MG]

Eh, this looks way better than any MGS4 character.[/QUOTE]
I pretty much agree, I was just talking about it from a pure animation standpoint. They don't quite move like regular people yet. But with that being said, the game still has a lot of dev time left, and who knows how long ago this trailer was taken.

And it's only nitpicking really, I absolutely adore the overall visual presentation of Versus.

EDIT: Yeah, your edit about covers what I mean. :)

Rez said:

The Versus footage is early. We really weren't even supposed to see it, as before the DKΣ3713 Nomura said that there wouldn't be any new footage shown. But a lot of online reports started surfacing claiming that the game really didn't exist and it was only going to be a CG movie. So this is what they showed to prove to people that it is real.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Downloading the gamersyde videos, hmm yeah. I'm underwhelmed by the Versus trailer though, graphics are nice and all but I foolishly expected to see some gameplay or an interesting area.

StuBurns

Banned
LiK said:
that's a good thing ;)
I was disappointed, in an earlier trailer she looked much better, Meryl too.

I think RE5 is king in terms of looking very life like, my point was just that the art of these games is not striving for that.

KTallguy

Banned
Yea, this demo is the best fucking thing ever.

At first, I was a bit overwhelmed.
The battle system is VERY fast!

But once I figured out the break system ... I was like OMG OMG.
The basic idea of the battle system is to break stronger enemies.
Then you can launch them for big damage.

The way to break enemies seems to be mainly with timing your attacks well.

The music is HEAVENLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYy

Like... the boss theme is so fucking amazing.
And the battle theme of the demo has several patterns, but the one from the original trailer is in and it sounds better than ever.

The graphics are OMGOMGOMGOMG and I'm not fucking kidding.
The characters are so detailed it's almost like a fucking lie when you first see it.
They show a CG intro first, and then get you into the real meat of the gameplay, so at first I was like oh... it doesn't look as good as the CG... then the character close ups and I'm like ........ ........

And then it zooms out for battle and I'm like .......

Yea, you guys who imported are in for a treat.

The areas are linear but oh so filled with cool little triggered moments, like as your walking there will be explosions or strafing gunfire from jets or all this other shit. At first it's a bit disorienting, to be honest.

Lightning is a complete bitch and it's awesome. It's pretty hilarious because she just doesn't give a fuck about anything but her mission, and Sahz (however the fuck you spell it) is an interesting combination, he's not a tough guy, but he's not a wimp. Snow is your cocky hero-do-gooder, which is going to be a good foil for Lightning, and the Nora guys are OK, better than I thought actually. The voice acting for all of the characters is great.

I'm going to play it again now. :lol

LiK

KTallguy said:
Yea, this demo is the best fucking thing ever.

At first, I was a bit overwhelmed.
The battle system is VERY fast!

But once I figured out the break system ... I was like OMG OMG.
The basic idea of the battle system is to break stronger enemies.
Then you can launch them for big damage.

The way to break enemies seems to be mainly with timing your attacks well.

The music is HEAVENLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYy

Like... the boss theme is so fucking amazing.
And the battle theme of the demo has several patterns, but the one from the original trailer is in and it sounds better than ever.

The graphics are OMGOMGOMGOMG and I'm not fucking kidding.
The characters are so detailed it's almost like a fucking lie when you first see it.
They show a CG intro first, and then get you into the real meat of the gameplay, so at first I was like oh... it doesn't look as good as the CG... then the character close ups and I'm like ........ ........

And then it zooms out for battle and I'm like .......

Yea, you guys who imported are in for a treat.

The areas are linear but oh so filled with cool little triggered moments, like as your walking there will be explosions or strafing gunfire from jets or all this other shit. At first it's a bit disorienting, to be honest.

Lightning is a complete bitch and it's awesome. It's pretty hilarious because she just doesn't give a fuck about anything but her mission, and Sahz (however the fuck you spell it) is an interesting combination, he's not a tough guy, but he's not a wimp. Snow is your cocky hero-do-gooder, which is going to be a good foil for Lightning, and the Nora guys are OK, better than I thought actually. The voice acting for all of the characters is great.

I'm going to play it again now. :lol

did any of you guys check out the FF: ACC blu-ray yet? :lol

does FFXIII look better than the bonus movie? ;D

jett

D-Member
BlimBlim is totally delivering the goods. There's also an old FFXIII trailer in the disc, but it'd be the first time we get it in HD, I think.

Durante

I just watched the vs13 trailer, the cloth and hair rendering and animation really is far ahead of anything else. I wonder if it's simulated in realtime or baked in off-line for the cutscenes. Perhaps a combination of the two. Anyway, the result is amazing.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
jett said:
BlimBlim is totally delivering the goods. There's also an old FFXIII trailer in the disc, but it'd be the first time we get it in HD, I think.
DjMizuhara is doing everything, I'm just hosting the files.

Top Bottom