• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Final Fantasy XIII TRIAL VERSION Thread

N30RYU

Grayman said:
The battle system looks like it might be fun in the two gamersyde vids.

Has anyone translated the menus?
I am just wondering what the commands are. Are they specific actions like "this exact slash" different strengths/styles that can do different animations(like xenogears)

MAIN COMMANDS
1zqy1wz.jpg

わざ - waza - Skill / Technique
黒魔法 - Black magic
白魔法 - White magic

LIGHTING COMMANDS
11icpcy.jpg

(Δ) コマンド - komando - Command
たたかう - tatakau - Attack // うちあげ - uchiage - Launch
ファイア - faia - Fire // ファイガ - faiga - Firaga
ケアル - kearu - Cure

SNOW COMMANDS
etyvl2.jpg

ブリザド - burizado - Blizzard // ブリザガ - burizaga - Blizzaga
ケアル - kearu - Cure

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
N30RYU said:
MAIN COMMANDS
1zqy1wz.jpg

黒魔法 - Black magic
白魔法 - White magic

LIGHTING COMMANDS
11icpcy.jpg

ケアル - kearu - Cure

SNOW COMMANDS
etyvl2.jpg

ケアル - kearu - Cure

Going to add this to the OP, if you don't mind.

Awntawn

ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
Which shipment rate did you choose? For me, it's Priority Mail or bust, since it's good pricing for quick shipment.
Just regular media mail, haha. Can only justify spending so much for shipping, full game's not due for at least 6 more months anyway so what's another week. Not like this hasn't already been a blast seeing all the videos online ;D

LiK

Awntawn said:
Just regular media mail, haha. Can only justify spending so much for shipping, full game's not due for at least 6 more months anyway so what's another week. Not like this hasn't already been a blast seeing all the videos online ;D

you're a better man than i :p

btw, awesome avatar :lol

Hobbun

N30RYU said:
MAIN COMMANDS
1zqy1wz.jpg

黒魔法 - Black magic
白魔法 - White magic

LIGHTING COMMANDS
11icpcy.jpg

ケアル - kearu - Cure

SNOW COMMANDS
etyvl2.jpg

ケアル - kearu - Cure

So the 'main commands' is the menu you can go into? The one player you can control? And then you can go into black magic, white magic, etc?

Oh, and where is 'Attack' for the Main menu?

I hope when the full game is released and you can control everyone, you have the main menus for them, as well.

rataven

Awww, I feel for you guys with the delays.

So looking at those menu commends, I don't see anything for "Items". Did they do away with items in battle?

StuBurns

Banned
You press Skill/Technique and you're shown Attack and Launch.
You press Black Magic and you're shown Fire and Firaga etc.
You press White Magic and you get Cure appear.

I assume you don't need to back out of the action type to select an item in a different category, though I don't know.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Awntawn said:
Best of luck.

Hobbun

stuburns said:

I assume you don't need to back out of the action type to select an item in a different category, though I don't know.

Ok, thanks.

Oh, I missed 'attack' in his description. That's different, attack is usually a main command on it's own, not falling under skill or technique.

So the stacked skills/spells in a row (firaga/blizzaga/cure) is just for the demo, for the AI party members?

I only ask, because I just don't want to be limited on my choice of spells/skills. Where I can only pick 4-5 (or whatever can fit on the screen).

JSnake

One question: does this game have exp and do your characters level up in a traditional JRPG way or is it more FFX style?

StuBurns

Banned
Hobbun said:
I only ask, because I just don't want to be limited on my choice of spells/skills. Where I can only pick 4-5 (or whatever can fit on the screen).
I've been wondering about that. I think we'll be short listing like 4 of each category or something. They could just scroll through every magic you have, but the pace is so fast, I don't know how efficient that would be for the game design.

Hobbun said:
Ok, thanks.

Oh, I missed 'attack' in his description. That's different, attack is usually a main command on it's own, not falling under skill or technique.

So the stacked skills/spells in a row (firaga/blizzaga/cure) is just for the demo, for the AI party members?

no, the spells in the command menu is what you can choose from, then it stocks them together in the three bars above it - in the full game that bar will extend as you level up (or whatever it'll be called) - i imagine you'll be able to swap magic/skills from your main menu into your command bar
the AI in the demo just uses their own skills without prompt i think

N30RYU

Hobbun said:
So the 'main commands' is the menu you can go into? The one player you can control? And then you can go into black magic, white magic, etc?

Oh, and where is 'Attack' for the Main menu?

I hope when the full game is released and you can control everyone, you have the main menus for them, as well.

In the demo if you choose Skill / Technique or Black magic will show the Lighting or Snow Commands, but if you wanna use cure you have to enter the White magic command.
That way you can't combine White magic with black magic or an attack in a combo, or heal two different characters in the same combo.

LiK

stuburns said:

dont worry, when the final game comes out. it'll just be attack and cancel :p

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Saw this mentioned on another forum, but now I understand what those "effects" were in the Versus XIII trailer in the beginning. Supposedly it's 3D? I don't have the glasses so I can't check. Weird effect choice though.

Hobbun

Apr 16, 2009 20:31:00 TW TAO-YUAN DEPARTURE SCAN
Apr 16, 2009 18:02:00 TW TAO-YUAN ARRIVAL SCAN
Apr 16, 2009 16:52:00 HK CHEK LAP KOK DEPARTURE SCAN
Apr 16, 2009 13:00:00 US ANCHORAGE ARRIVAL SCAN
Apr 15, 2009 20:05:00 HK CHEK LAP KOK ORIGIN SCAN
Apr 15, 2009 18:33:00 HK KWAI CHUNG PICKUP SCAN
Apr 15, 2009 04:35:45 HK BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED

So from Hong Kong it went to Alaska, then back to Hong Kong and now to China? Wtf?

And this route is COMPLETELY different than what it said before. Earlier it indicated the last arrival was in Louiville. :( So now it's out of the U.S? WTF??

Kagari said:
Saw this mentioned on another forum, but now I understand what those "effects" were in the Versus XIII trailer in the beginning. Supposedly it's 3D? I don't have the glasses so I can't check. Weird effect choice though.
yeah i read that
odd :lol

LiK

Hobbun said:

So from Hong Kong it went to Alaska, then back to Hong Kong and now to China? Wtf?

And this route is COMPLETELY different than what it said before. Earlier it indicated the last arrival was in Louiville. :( So now it's out of the U.S? WTF??

o_O

Hobbun

BlazingDarkness said:
no, the spells in the command menu is what you can choose from, then it stocks them together in the three bars above it - in the full game that bar will extend as you level up (or whatever it'll be called) - i imagine you'll be able to swap magic/skills from your main menu into your command bar
the AI in the demo just uses their own skills without prompt i think

Ahh, ok, that makes sense.

So when you pull off your combo, the bar empties and you pick your commands again.

Hobbun said:

It was more likely in transit to Louisville but got sidetracked somehow. Arrival scan means it made it there.

Hobbun

ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
It was more likely in transit to Louisville but got sidetracked somehow. Arrival scan means it made it there.

Yeah, I think you are right, I think it was in transit to Louisville.

Dammit, probably means I won't get it tomorrow, now. :(

Well, I guess one thing is good, it didn't get hung up in Alaska. :lol

StuBurns

Banned
If we are equipping a short list of options for each category for each character, it'll massively effect the traditional final fantasy battle strategies. Every character will have to be fairly independent in their builds. You can't have one using physical attacks, one using magic and one healing anymore. Could be very interesting, or a clusterfuck.

ilikeme

Thanks Mizuhara and BlimBlim for the HD videos!

But.. anyone commented on the missing sequence? The fight against the Judge-like miniboss at the end of Lightning's part and the cutscene afterwards?

Why's that? Just wondering mind you.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Hobbun said:

Whoa that cannot be good.

Hobbun said:

Are timezones taken into account there? Alaska is about 17 hours behind HK/Taiwan so if those are local times and not GMT then it makes sense... If not...:lol

Hobbun

neojubei said:
Whoa that cannot be good.

Yeah, I agree. What's really screwed up is when I looked at earlier today, it never went the Anchorage route. I think it went from China and was in transit to Louisville. And now this.

My luck is it got misplaced and dropped in the wrong plane.

:(

Hobbun

darkhunger said:
Are timezones taken into account there? Alaska is about 17 hours behind HK/Taiwan so if those are local times and not GMT then it makes sense... If not...:lol

No clue if the timezones are taken into account.

N30RYU

Why the OPM and edge previews of the demo talked about the ATB of the enemies if is the HP of the enemies? Did they really played the demo? 'cause if you see a full combat you easily get how the bar works...

rataven

darkhunger said:
My tracking info says the exact same thing. WTH? What happened to Louisville??

Demo was pretty damn fun but they really go out of their way to not give you much.

Was pretty disappointed you couldn't control the other party members but it didn't take away from my enjoyment.

The battle system is really fast and flows pretty well I feel. I started to get the hang of it better at the end of Snow's part. Gonna play it a couple more times today I think.

NCS has shipped my Black Cloud system today! :D I was hoping that it would ship earlier but I guess not. I should have it in my hands on Monday! I might just have to take a sick day...

Troidal

Hobbun said:

Most likely time zone is all screwed up. I had that once when I shipped from Tokyo to California, it made it to the final destination in the usual timeframe. I think you should be fine.

VegaShinra

My latest UPS update: It's in Alaska as of 1PM. Hopefully, it stays in America and doesn't end up back in China or some other random country. Oddly enough, it doesn't give me an expected delivery date anymore. I guess it'll just appear randomly. :/

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Guess I'll try asking again. Anyone else notice slowdown/framerate drop during the cutscenes in the middle section of the demo? Basically all the cutscenes from the first boss to the last boss. The opening and ending FMVs seem flawless.

ilikeme said:
Thanks Mizuhara and BlimBlim for the HD videos!

But.. anyone commented on the missing sequence? The fight against the Judge-like miniboss at the end of Lightning's part and the cutscene afterwards?

Why's that? Just wondering mind you.

Yeah i wondered that too, seems to be missing the boss for Lightning and Sazh section

jett

D-Member
Kagari said:

Well...some of the effects they use is kinda what it looks like when you watch an old 3D movie without the glasses, but I doubt wearing glasses will make any effect on the trailer. :p Who knows...

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Anybody have a copy of the banner in 1680 * 1050? It doesn't look good stretched, and I don't like the Official version with the pic being off center.

Top Bottom