• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Final Fantasy XIII TRIAL VERSION Thread

KTallguy

Banned
Hobbun said:
Great write up. And sorry this is the only thing I quoted. But I'll be honest, it's what concerns me the most.

First of all, the spells. I didn't like how spells were done in FFXII. Like you said, they were like "Magic Missles". not very visual. I like the focus on the caster when their spell "goes off" and you see the big whammy cast. Not just this little fire/ice/lighting shoot out at the enemy.

When you cast a level 3 spell, there is a bigger focus on the caster, and then the big magical effect. And every once in a while (I played the demo twice and it only happened twice), time will slow for a bit to show it off, but it happens very sparingly so it won't be too annoying. Level 1 spells are very quick and are there mainly so you can fill up your combo meter and stop enemy forward progress.

Hobbun said:
I could tell the combat was going to be quick, but I guess I was hoping it would be managagable. Thing is I hate being rushed. Yes, the ATB system has always been set up that it is always moving. But at least the ATB's of old you still had plenty of time to input commands and then also watch what is going on. One of the reasons I didn't like XII all that much because it was too fast, felt more like real time than turn-based/ATB. Which sounds like is kind of the case, here.

I hope I am wrong and I like it when I try the demo, but it is not boding well.

The combat speed is definitely fast. I thought it was too much at first. Once I got the hang of it, I had little problem doing well. I suggest you try it and stick with it. I have a feeling that there will be some kind of limit break type attack that lets you slow time.

Nikorasu

thetrin said:
There's a lot of new stuff in the movie. Entire blocks of the movie are all new. Maybe my memory is failing me, but the Sephiroth fight is slightly different. There's a lot more blood than I remember.

Yeah, I was surprised just how much new stuff there was. They've also replaced a lot of the music with much more appropriate pieces. The part where Cloud collapses in the church next to Tifa now plays a remix of the more somber Anxious Heart/fuan na kokoro instead of the strange upbeat tune.

EDIT: :lol You can now see a flash of Vincent's face under his cloak when he fires at Kadaj in the forest fight.

I gotta say, Hamazau has a lot of range. The background music during the Lightning portion is very similar to FFX dungeon music like you'd expect. But the more militaristic theme when playing as Snow could have been taken right out of FFXII. We'll definitely hear a lot of variety out of this game's soundtrack.

Nikorasu

Kagari said:
That's... disappointing... I mean, didn't they announce the BD version of the movie in 2006? What were they doing all this time D:

To be fair, I'm now well into the second half and there is a lot more stuff that has been fully rerendered than not. Almost the entire latter half of the film has been touched up with added effects and dirt/blood. The low res stuff was only noticable to me early on, at this point I can't really tell anymore. It all looks great.

No_Style said:
Excellent work on the thread, Kagari. Nice of you to include all the impressions in the OP. Thanks to all that wrote them. :D

Definitely.
Kagari always does a great job keeping these things up to date.

I just got done watching all of Gamersyde videos and the game truly looks incredible but one thing that really stands out to me is how archaic it is that the game still switches to a whole new screen when you engage a enemy. It would be so much better if once those guys swung at you or came into view the camera would just pull back and the meters would all pop up. It just takes you out of the moment when everything has to stop and load in a new screen.

This could have been there for days but I just saw it on the OP.

* Final Fantasy XIII Trial Version
* Final Fantasy Versus XIII HD Trailer
* Final Fantasy Agito XIII HD Trailer
* Bonus Final Fantasy VII Advent Children Complete Motion Picture

:lol , I'm dying over here.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Nikorasu said:
To be fair, I'm now well into the second half and there is a lot more stuff that has been fully rerendered than not. Almost the entire latter half of the film has been touched up with added effects and dirt/blood. The low res stuff was only noticable to me early on, at this point I can't really tell anymore. It all looks great.

Good to hear.

Digital-Hero said:
This could have been there for days but I just saw it on the OP.

* Final Fantasy XIII Trial Version
* Final Fantasy Versus XIII HD Trailer
* Final Fantasy Agito XIII HD Trailer
* Bonus Final Fantasy VII Advent Children Complete Motion Picture

:lol , I'm dying over here.

Yeah, it was always there, and on purpose ;D

if BLIZZRAD was removed I'm canceling my order!

and :lol at the people that think the additional scenes in AC will/might make the overall film that much better.
Look- you either love the movie for what it is (fan service fluff with amazing visuals) or you hate it. 25 more minutes of extended detail, more action, and a few more dialogue scenes ain't gonna make this Michael Mann's HEAT, people. Chances are if you hated AC before, you're gonna hate it now. Personally I'm in the prior category, so I'm really anxious to just see more, regardless of what it entails... I just find it funny some people (HIMURO!) are legitimately asking if the bit of new stuff somehow changes the whole shape of the film. :D

Nikorasu

Oh my gosh, they have a remix of "Crazy Motorcycle chase" during the...motorcycle chase in ACC. :D

Himuro said:
I'm just asking if the new changes are story related or just more action scenes is all. I know that the movie is nothing but fan service fluff, and I accepted that years ago. But that doesn't change the fact that a few changes could make it (personally) a better movie. :)

Yeah, the added (and edited) scenes do add to the narrative cohesiveness of the story (such as it is). Some of the additions just improve it from a dramatic standpoint or simply little things that make it flow better.

Himuro said:
I'm just asking if the new changes are story related or just more action scenes is all. I know that the movie is nothing but fan service fluff, and I accepted that years ago. But that doesn't change the fact that a few changes could make it (personally) a better movie. :)

If the spoilers I read are to be believed, then it does seem much more loving and a little less hamfisted in certain parts that raised eyebrows in Advent Children Incomplete.

ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
If the spoilers I read are to be believed, then it does seem much more loving and a little less hamfisted in certain parts that raised eyebrows in Advent Children Incomplete.
There's no reason not to post the spoilers in the thread, my good friend.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Nikorasu said:
Oh my gosh, they have a remix of "Crazy Motorcycle chase" during the...motorcycle chase in ACC. :D

Yeah, the added (and edited) scenes do add to the narrative cohesiveness of the story (such as it is). Some of the additions just improve it from a dramatic standpoint or simply little things that make it flow better.

Haha, awesome.

TheJollyCorner said:
if BLIZZRAD was removed I'm canceling my order!

and :lol at the people that think the additional scenes in AC will/might make the overall film that much better.
Look- you either love the movie for what it is (fan service fluff with amazing visuals) or you hate it. 25 more minutes of extended detail, more action, and a few more dialogue scenes ain't gonna make this Michael Mann's HEAT, people. Chances are if you hated AC before, you're gonna hate it now. Personally I'm in the prior category, so I'm really anxious to just see more, regardless of what it entails... I just find it funny some people (HIMURO!) are legitimately asking if the bit of new stuff somehow changes the whole shape of the film. :D

Why would you mock that? Additional scenes can change things. The Alternate Cut for I AM LEGEND for example made plot and tie up at the end make more sense than the original. Maybe he is wrong in this case but it's not a bad thing to ask. Sometimes it can improve a film.

Himuro said:
That's good. One of my biggest problems with the movie was the development of Cloud. At the end of FFVII, Cloud has conquered all; his past, love over his friends, his soul. He transformed into a man who truly knew his place in the world. The man immediately goes on to STEAL A SUBMARINE and wreck havoc after coming from a comatose state. He was born again hard.

And here we have Cloud in FFVIIAC. Some brooding jerk who, for some reason, after saving the world and conquering his fears, has accumulated the MANLY TEARS virus. This clearly wasn't the same Cloud and the people who wrote the story for AC clearly hadn't played FFVII in quite some time, I think.

I'm not expecting FFVIIACC to completely divulge into the head of this anti-hero even more, I just want more resolution is all. It felt, as you said, hamfisted. Maybe with some better editing and the inclusion of new scenes (which we're getting!) I can stomach FF7AC's Cloud.

Then again, who am I kidding? They always fuck up Cloud in every game that's not FFVII; FFT, KH, FF7AC, CC. He's always some fucking loser I cannot stand, so I guess that's not being fair to AC.

Well you can blame SQUARE EMO-X for sure.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Himuro said:
I dunno. My avatar is Squall Lionheart and they gave my man justice in KH. He's not about being emo. He's just a loner, is all. He's a leader at heart. He's a badass. He's a hard ass. KH and Disissida recognize this and do Squall justice.

But for some reason, they can never seem to do the same for the more popular character. I mean, Cloud's not even one of my favorite main characters in the series, far from it (well, he was when I was a teenager), but the crap Square has done to his character over the years is something I entirely disagree with.

Squall is so emo.

God what an emo.

Fucking emoes.

Nikorasu

The first half of the Sephiroth fight was exactly the same. The second half...holy shit blood! Blood everywhere! Poor Cloud...that hurt to watch. :lol

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Nikorasu said:
The first half of the Sephiroth fight was exactly the same. The second half...holy shit blood! Blood everywhere! Poor Cloud...that hurt to watch. :lol

I'm excited. Should have it tomorrow now!

rataven

Nikorasu said:
I wonder if the blood will change the movie rating? I think it's already PG-13 in the US.

Is there a lot of extra Turk stuff? I love those guys.

I am so looking forward to this :D

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
What the shit I go for twelve hours and this thread is already twenty pages longer? I'm not reading that.

Anyway, has anybody watched the movie already? Does it suck any less or just as much?

Nikorasu

rataven said:
I wonder if the blood will change the movie rating? I think it's already PG-13 in the US.

Is there a lot of extra Turk stuff? I love those guys.

I am so looking forward to this :D

Yeah, the Turks have more action time during the highway chase, and you see more of Tseng and Elena.

Finished watching it and if you've accepted the movie for what it is this version is far more enjoyable and better paced, not to mention drop dead gorgeous. I have never seen anything this pretty grace the pixels on my screen. The new staff roll song is quite good too.

joesmokey said:
I could've sworn I read somewhere that the introduction that we see in the demo is the same one that we'll see in the actual game.

Here we go, from Famitsu (April 08):
-Demo's opening is same as final product's

Unless I'm misinterpreting that.

Parts of the opening are, I'm sure, going to be used in the final opening, but I can ASSURE you that what we see in the demo isn't the finished product. Final Fantasy openings are always spectacular and certainly longer then two minutes and twenty three seconds :D

The music really is something else, I went through the demo again and I felt I didn't touch upon it in my impressions. It reminds me
Shut up Droid -.-
, of Kingdom Hearts and X. Listening to the boss and dungeon music in the demo and then listening to a piano piece from X, such as this, the similarities are obvious.

That being said, I haven't heard anything yet that has piqued my ear the way the music in X did (the LAST great FF soundtrack IMO). Of course I've only played roughly 40 minutes of FFXIII at this point, but that is certainly beside the point. While the demo does showcase the standard background "action/drama" situational music, the "dungeon" and battle pieces are surprisingly catchy.

TheChillyAcademic said:
Parts of the opening are, I'm sure, going to be used in the final opening, but I can ASSURE you that what we see in the demo isn't the finished product. Final Fantasy openings are always spectacular and certainly longer then two minutes and twenty three seconds :D

Well, it depends. Before FF11 all the CG openings (including the remakes) were all 2-5 minutes. In FF11 and 12 it ballooned to 7-10 minutes. They could be trying to replicate the fast-opening feeling of FF7.

rataven

Nikorasu said:
Yeah, the Turks have more action time during the highway chase, and you see more of Tseng and Elena.

Finished watching it and if you've accepted the movie for what it is this version is far more enjoyable and better paced, not to mention drop dead gorgeous. I have never seen anything this pretty grace the pixels on my screen. The new staff roll song is quite good too.
:D can't wait, can't wait, can't wait

Glad to hear it's an improvement over the original. I enjoyed AC for what it was (so pretty!) but I think ACCs better pacing will definitely help with the story.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Nikorasu said:

Wait, they added to that chase scene and put in a remix is what you're saying? That's awesome.

Screw the weird hate it gets on GAF, AC was an entertaining as hell fan service flick. It was never meant to be more and I really liked it.

Glad to hear such good things about FF13. Can't wait.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
hateradio said:
So?

Zidane was a creep

Tidus was a brat

Vaan was unimportant

Lightning has gender/ISWEARI"MNOTCLOUD issues?

Being emo is worse than all of those combined.

I was joking around. Chill

APZonerunner said:
Well, it depends. Before FF11 all the CG openings (including the remakes) were all 2-5 minutes. In FF11 and 12 it ballooned to 7-10 minutes. They could be trying to replicate the fast-opening feeling of FF7.

I suppose that is a possibility...I can't imagine it will be the sort of opus that FFXII's was, but its obvious that there were scenes missing in the demo, both CG and otherwise.

I bet HK's LIFE that isn't the intro in its entirety.

Top Bottom