• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Final Fantasy XIII TRIAL VERSION Thread

rataven

H_Prestige said:
Wow, ACC in blu ray looks really good. Especially the blood and vomit effects. SE's CG department is something else.
Vomit effects??? Not sure I even want to know.

How are the added scenes?

Brofist

I know I've overstated this before but comments about shipping status, and such should have no place in a topic like this.

It is really annoying to have the few JPN Gaffers with real impressions get each post about the game drowned out by 10 package status update posts.

jett said:
Any more in-depth ACC impressions? :p Like changes, and if the movie has improved in a meaningful way.

I'm afraid I can't be of much help there. I don't really remember the original movie (except that I didn't like it) and I only watched the first 10 minutes of the blu ray so far. The cinematography, if you can call it that, is pretty slick.

I did watch the reminiscence of FFVII feature and I thought that was pretty lame. I was expecting more of a documentary with behind the scenes stuff about the original game, but they just showed a bunch of in game scenes with FFVII music and no commentary.

Yeah, there's this dude in the beginning who vomits like a maniac in front of a little girl. it was pretty gross, but was surprisingly convincing.

kpop100 said:
I know I've overstated this before but comments about shipping status, and such should have no place in a topic like this.

It is really annoying to have the few JPN Gaffers with real impressions get each post about the game drowned out by 10 package status update posts.

well given that the majority of people so vocal about waiting for their copy to arrive will be the people posting lots of impressions in a couple of days, i dont really think you have room to complain

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
kpop100 said:

I've added most of the detailed impressions to the OP.

Brofist

BlazingDarkness said:
well given that the majority of people so vocal about waiting for their copy to arrive will be the people posting lots of impressions in a couple of days, i dont really think you have room to complain

I wouldn't complain if the topic said Official UPS/USPS/Fed Ex where's my fucking FFXIII demo, I'm waiting thread.

Kagari said:
I've added most of the detailed impressions to the OP.

Yeah I saw, you always do a good job with these topics so I know what to expect. I like actually browsing through post for post too though, which in this case is difficult.

Nikorasu

ACC is gorgeous, as you'd expect, but I'm slightly disappointed in the overall picture quality. The new scenes and re-rendered scenes with added detail are glorious and probably the sharpest, prettiest imagery I've seen on my 1080p set, but much of the movie just looks upscaled from the original dvd. Bleh.

Still awesome though.

kpop100 said:
I wouldn't complain if the topic said Official UPS/USPS/Fed Ex where's my fucking FFXIII demo, I'm waiting thread.

have you ever been in an official game thread? the 'i'm picking my copy up' posts always come first

jett

D-Member
Nikorasu said:
ACC is gorgeous, as you'd expect, but I'm slightly disappointed in the overall picture quality. The new scenes and re-rendered scenes with added detail are glorious and probably the sharpest, prettiest imagery I've seen on my 1080p set, but much of the movie just looks upscaled from the original dvd. Bleh.

You're kidding right? No way Squeenix fucked up that bad.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Nikorasu said:

Still awesome though.

Huh? I thought they rerendered the whole thing?

Nikorasu

Kagari said:
Huh? I thought they rerendered the whole thing?

Not from the looks of it. I'm sitting 2 feet away from a 32" 1080p set and there is a pretty clear difference in clarity between the new and old stuff.

Ok here it is, my chilly impressions.

Introductions

Starting up the demo, I was both absolutely thrilled and terrified, a dangerous cocktail to be sure. I was looking forward to playing the game (HYPE) but was also skeptical, I tried to balance my irrational cravings. As the title screen washed in, light piano music dancing melodically through the background, I immediately start the game...

Impressions: Overall

You've all seen the videos (and if you haven't you really should) so going step by step would be a waste of time. The intro is both exciting and action packed, obviously it isn't the Intro Cinema the game will use, but its serviceable. When the game switches from CG to the in game engine, the transition is beautifully seamless and, as is par for most technically impressive games this gen, there isn't a shockingly stark contrast between the two. As the scene that follows come to a close there are some frame rate hiccups, due most likely to the fact that this is an early build.

The field screen is clean and sharp, details of objects in the distance as well as the resolutions and textures up close are absolutely beautiful. Whats most shocking is the character models, all of the characters who follow and fight with you are animated gorgeously both in battle and out. Standing still and forcing Lightning into the "idle" animation is flooring. This is the first time, in any modern RPG, I have felt as if I was controlling a CG. The subtle movements of clothing and hair, the realistic blinking and pursing of lips as she impatiently sighs is spellbinding. The characterization is brought to life not only through the dialogue and plot, but through the movements and gestures of the characters themselves.

While I agree that some of the character designs are...extreme, they aren't anything new for Nomura and aren't nearly as ridiculous as some people want to believe.

Battle Time!!

Haters be damned, while there are still screen transitions, the flow isn't as ruined from field to battle as some here would have you believe.

As most have said, the battles feel like a mix between X and X-2. They have the pace of X-2, but still hold onto some of the traditions of the turn based system. That being said, for me personally they remind me greatly of the menu and battle system in Kingdom Hearts. You're only able to control one character in the demo but it serves to teach you the ups and downs of combat. Very much in the vein of say FFIV, as you choose your combat options, in this case healing or attacking, the enemy is constantly on the move. If you choose to, say attack, you are given several options, including magic and physical attacks. Lightning is given Fire and Firaga while Snow is given Blizzard and Blizzaga (might actually be Blizzara). The spells themselves are "cast" much as they were in XII, quick magic missiles. Since magic is cast so quickly and the damage so immediate, spells work almost like physical attacks, their use is generally needed, at least so far, to break the forward defense of an enemy before they can be combo'd (more on that later). The demo has a spread of enemies who are much weaker to magic then others but these enemies are more likely to interrupt your action so they need to be used intelligently.

In battle you are given three "slots" to perform anywhere from 1 to 3 attacks per "turn". Some attacks, like a standard physical strike or single target magic spell, only take one slot while others, such as Fiagra, take all three. This is also the case for healing through magic, you can stack anywhere from one to three cure spells to be used on a single target. Before both attacking and healing you must designate a particular target, though going back through the menu and choosing a different one is done so quickly its nearly instantaneous. Healing and/or using items works almost identical to how it has in FF's since the very beginning, though again in this case you must choose a target before use. Just as it is possible to interrupt enemies attacks, they can interrupt yours and if they do so, you loose whatever chunk of the ATB gauge you had delegated for your initial attack.

The battles move along at a hell of a pace, not nearly as chaotic as X-2 but not as ridged and static as X's. Since every action, enemy and ally alike, occurs in realtime, knowing what attacks to use as well as when it is most profitable to attack is paramount. Enemies also act intelligently, one may try to rush you with a close up physical attack while another sprays you with bullets. Most battles that take place in the demo are against 2+ foes and this serves to highlight the depth and flexibility of the combo system. While consistently (meaning without taking damage or being interrupted) beating down on an enemy will net you decent gains in your bonus meter, effectively stacking your attacks into combos is where the real points are gained. While its just as easy to have both you and your allies stack physical attacks or magic, mixing up the commands allows you to combo. As opposed to, say, casting three straight Fire spells in a row you might want to physically attack an enemy, then launch them into the air and then finish them off with a fire spell before they hit the ground. Even with the limited options available in the demo there is plenty variety in combos and since you are able to issue commands to your allies, the stash of combos you have is nearly doubled. You have Snow cast Blizzaga into the central target in a group of enemies, as the enemies take damage and are blasted into the air, you command Osaka Whore to blast the target in mid air, effectively doubling the damage her physical attack deals.

The two (three) Boss Battles in the demo give a good indication of both the difficulty the final game will represent and the varied approaches that are needed to tackle certain situations. There are times when a boss opens itself up for a direct hit at its weakspot, giving you the chance to score massive damage, but at the same time, if you miss the opportunity to strike, you will be pummeled with a very powerful attack. During battle your teammates will assist you, taking commands seamlessly and healing you with items when your HP reaches critical levels.

All in all the combat is fast, furious and fun, if not initially a tad confusing. Even so, the mix of old and new gives the battle system a refreshing feeling, mirroring almost exactly the sense of urgency and quick movement the very first trailers of FFXIII displayed.

Music

I hate to tread old ground, but again I am reminded of a mix of both Final Fantasy X and Kingdom Hearts. The Cocoon oozes a Midgar esque vibe and the music matches it. While not synth heavy, the orchestrations are sharp and biting, they aren't allowed to ebb and flow romantically. Given the setting of the demo, they couldn't be more spot on. The VA is up to the par as far as well voiced RPGs go, but since I'm one of the few people who enjoy dub jobs, this is a moot point.

An amazing demo for an equally amazing game.

rataven

Nikorasu said:
Not from the looks of it. I'm sitting 2 feet away from a 32" 1080p set and there is a pretty clear difference in clarity between the new and old stuff.
That makes me really, really bummed. :(

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Nikorasu said:

That's... disappointing... I mean, didn't they announce the BD version of the movie in 2006? What were they doing all this time D:

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
TheChillyAcademic said:
The intro is both exciting and action packed, obviously it isn't the Intro Cinema the game will use, but its serviceable.

are you sure?

rataven

TheChillyAcademic said:
Lightning is given Fire and Firaga while Snow is given Blizzard and Blizzaga (might actually be Blizzara).
I wonder why Lightning wasn't given........lightning? Or thunder, whatever your preference.

Nice write up! Love that it's a mix of X and X-2. Fast, furious, and fun combat sounds like an awesome time. Can't wait for tomorrow :D

ilikeme said:
Thanks Mizuhara and BlimBlim for the HD videos!

But.. anyone commented on the missing sequence? The fight against the Judge-like miniboss at the end of Lightning's part and the cutscene afterwards?

Why's that? Just wondering mind you.
Yeah, encoded it but I forgot to upload it...was kinda busy yesterday. I'm uploading it now to gamersyde so it'll be up in a few hours.
Sorry!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
DJmizuhara said:
Yeah, encoded it but I forgot to upload it...was kinda busy yesterday. I'm uploading it now to gamersyde so it'll be up in a few hours.
Sorry!

Did you cap the Agito XIII trailer as well?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Kagari said:
For three years?

Do you really think they have been working at it for THREE ******* YEARS?!?! Come on, they're no stupid. Plus they released it now because now the FFXIII demo is ready.

rataven said:
I wonder why Lightning wasn't given........lightning? Or thunder, whatever your preference.

Nice write up! Love that it's a mix of X and X-2. Fast, furious, and fun combat sounds like an awesome time. Can't wait for tomorrow :D

Maybe there is no lightning spells? So far Ifrit and Shiva have been shown, as well as Siren and Carbunkle, but no lightning-casting summon.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Ether_Snake said:
Do you really think they have been working at it for THREE ******* YEARS?!?! Come on, they're no stupid. Plus they released it now because now the FFXIII demo is ready.

Yup. Square could have released ACC on blu-ray anytime they wanted, they just wanted to bundle the demo with it.

neojubei said:
Yup. Square could have released ACC on blu-ray anytime they wanted, they just wanted to bundle the demo with it.

I buy this theory, considering that apparently there was gonna be a DVD release as well (which wouldn't make sense if it were to be alongside the demo of a glorious high definition PS3 game) and it was slated for 2008 last I recall (or even as early as 2007?).

Hobbun

TheChillyAcademic said:
The spells themselves are "cast" much as they were in XII, quick magic missiles.

All in all the combat is fast, furious and fun, if not initially a tad confusing. Even so, the mix of old and new gives the battle system a refreshing feeling, mirroring almost exactly the sense of urgency and quick movement the very first trailers of FFXIII displayed.

Great write up. And sorry this is the only thing I quoted. But I'll be honest, it's what concerns me the most.

First of all, the spells. I didn't like how spells were done in FFXII. Like you said, they were like "Magic Missles". not very visual. I like the focus on the caster when their spell "goes off" and you see the big whammy cast. Not just this little fire/ice/lighting shoot out at the enemy.

I could tell the combat was going to be quick, but I guess I was hoping it would be managagable. Thing is I hate being rushed. Yes, the ATB system has always been set up that it is always moving. But at least the ATB's of old you still had plenty of time to input commands and then also watch what is going on. One of the reasons I didn't like XII all that much because it was too fast, felt more like real time than turn-based/ATB. Which sounds like is kind of the case, here.

I hope I am wrong and I like it when I try the demo, but it is not boding well.

rataven

Ether_Snake said:
Maybe there is no lightning spells? So far Ifrit and Shiva have been shown, as well as Siren and Carbunkle, but no lightning-casting summon.
Could be, but I hope they add a lightning summon. Quezacotl would fit in nicely with XIIIs aesthetic.

Fire, ice, and lightning based magic/summons just seem like a given in FFs.

joesmokey

Kagari said:
Saw this mentioned on another forum, but now I understand what those "effects" were in the Versus XIII trailer in the beginning. Supposedly it's 3D? I don't have the glasses so I can't check. Weird effect choice though.
I immediately thought it was a 3-D type effect. It looks like they're superimposing images but it could just be an "effect" and not real 3-D.

Wonder what type of anaglyph glasses they need (if it is actually 3-D).

joesmokey said:
I immediately thought it was a 3-D type effect. It looks like they're superimposing images but it could just be an "effect" and not real 3-D.

Wonder what type of anaglyph glasses they need.

With our luck, it'll be a preorder package that costs 8900 yen and the deadly cycle starts all over again.

joesmokey

TheChillyAcademic said:
I could've sworn I read somewhere that the introduction that we see in the demo is the same one that we'll see in the actual game.

Here we go, from Famitsu (April 08):
-Demo's opening is same as final product's

Unless I'm misinterpreting that.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I just got around to watching all of the Gamersyde videos. HOLY CRAP! I thought I had outgrown JRPGs. They've all seemed relatively stagnant for a while and that combined with the daunting lengths made it very hard for me to get excited about them. The XIII videos have gotten me really hyped for it. The setting looks very unique and the battles look fun. Can't wait until we get to play it.
At least a year here in NA :(

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
With our luck, it'll be a preorder package that costs 8900 yen and the deadly cycle starts all over again.

Haha...It'll probably be called FFVIIACC+3D. Bundled with FFVXIII demo.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
i was on the fence

but i think ill end up buying this game.

why?

THE BATTLE MUSIC

dun dun dun _ dun dun dun _ d na na na NA NA NA

androvsky

joesmokey said:

Wonder what type of anaglyph glasses they need.

It's a 3D type effect, yes... sorta. There's three seperated color layers; red, green, and blue, so if you have three eyes and 4D rgb glasses (zomg krazy ken) prepare for your mind to be blown. ;) I still call it a 3D-type effect because foreground objects have more seperation than background ones, and since the green layer is in the middle (and sometimes absent) there's several frames where the effect almost works with red/blue glasses.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
jett said:
Any more in-depth ACC impressions? :p Like changes, and if the movie has improved in a meaningful way.

There's a lot of new stuff in the movie. Entire blocks of the movie are all new. Maybe my memory is failing me, but the Sephiroth fight is slightly different. There's a lot more blood than I remember.

neoism

So, I just watched the demo on my ps3 for the first time, all 4 parts! Also it looks fucking amazing! Wasn't there a second boss battle with Lighting, not the scorpion thing!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
neoism said:
So, I just watched the demo on my ps3 for the first time, all 4 parts! Also it looks fucking amazing! Wasn't there a second boss battle with Lighting, not the scorpion thing!

Yes, there's a knight with two guard lackeys.

careksims

I really love the facial expressions on the characters. Makes me wish older FFs would be redone in this engine especially 7. Osaka-whore's expressions are quite nice :D Tifa clone... still I like!

Shouta

thetrin said:
There's a lot of new stuff in the movie. Entire blocks of the movie are all new. Maybe my memory is failing me, but the Sephiroth fight is slightly different. There's a lot more blood than I remember.

I remember the movie decently well and I'm gonna watch it this weekend sometime so I'll post something on it. That or wait for the FF7 freaks to get it and then analyze every little detail. :lol

Top Bottom