• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Final Fantasy XIII TRIAL VERSION Thread

jiggle

BocoDragon said:
I guess I don't really know. I thought so?

haha... were clueless.

I thought it was from old pictures
but if you watch the opening, the train arrived on the ground (Pulse) and entered a tunnel before entering that city.

Cocoon supposed to be where the prisoners are sent away, not where they're taken to...

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
jiggle said:
I thought it was from old pictures
but if you watch the opening, the train arrived on the ground (Pulse) and entered a tunnel before entering that city.

Cocoon supposed to be where the prisoners are sent away, not where they're taken to...
oooohh.

:D

StuBurns

Banned
The demo section is in the entrance/exit of Cocoon. Cocoon is the beautiful modern city, Pulse is the world below, people are 'banished' from the city, and sent to Pulse.

And nice to hear ACC is region free.

Spoo

Good news! My ACC *finally* shipped -- to be here sometime on the 20th. Pretty cool :}

By the way, I finally got around to checking out the HD vid of FFversusXIII. And, goddamn, that game looks incredible. Despite the unfinished production of the cutscene on display, I was blown away by the visuals. I think, to some degree, it actually looks better than anything I've seen from FFXIII in that department. Does anyone else feel the same way?

Also, I can't shake the feeling that FFversusXIII is, in some way, meant to be a FF game for adults whereas FFXIII aims for the same middle-to-late teens group that the main series has always targeted. I'm quite pleased with that; I'll be playing FFXIII to sort of renew some of those awesome childhood memories I had of playing some of the earlier games, and I'll indulge in FFversusXIII for a something a little darker and a little more contemporary. :D (not to mention the real-time action fix)

Either way, it seems there'll be something for everyone from the many FFXIII offerings.

Spoo said:
Good news! My ACC *finally* shipped -- to be here sometime on the 20th. Pretty cool :}

By the way, I finally got around to checking out the HD vid of FFversusXIII. And, goddamn, that game looks incredible. Despite the unfinished production of the cutscene on display, I was blown away by the visuals. I think, to some degree, it actually looks better than anything I've seen from FFXIII in that department. Does anyone else feel the same way?

Also, I can't shake the feeling that FFversusXIII is, in some way, meant to be a FF game for adults whereas FFXIII aims for the same middle-to-late teens group that the main series has always targeted. I'm quite pleased with that; I'll be playing FFXIII to sort of renew some of those awesome childhood memories I had of playing some of the earlier games, and I'll indulge in FFversusXIII for a something a little darker and a little more contemporary. :D (not to mention the real-time action fix)

Either way, it seems there'll be something for everyone from the many FFXIII offerings.

really feel like it more of a KH for adults

Spoo

jump_button said:
really feel like it more of a KH for adults

Well, I know the battle system is modeled after the work the team did on the KH series, but I'd wager that other aspects will take more from Final Fantasy than KH; I'm not really sure what to suggest these other aspects would be, though. It's a Final Fantasy game, whatever the technicalities of the combat may be, so I expect (or even hope) for more similarities on that end.

Not that I think KH is a bad game or series; I rather enjoyed the first one.

StuBurns

Banned
I certainly think the game is aimed at the guy who was in his early teens playing FF7&8, has grown up with the more action orientated games, and is going to be taken in by the modern world vibe, and obscene decadence.

I think it is going to be incredible, far better than FFXIII.

StuBurns

Banned
Shadow780 said:
I'd reserve that comment until some gameplay footages.

Love the atomsphere and the overall feel, definitely.

It really depends on what you get out of the series I think. For me it's never been the battle system particularly, it's been the world, and just that level of polish they put in. The Final Fantasy games are always of the highest quality, and have such a richly imagined new world to explore. But, in recent years I've found it harder to be engrossed by the more high fantasy games, it's like I need them to be more grounded in reality for me to really get into them. FFVersusXIII certainly has that grounding, and I'm defiantly more excited about real-time action combat than the more traditional system in FFXIII. The game is just much more 'me' than the regular XIII.

That sounds quite negative on FFXIII now, I'm not down on it, I think it'll great as well, just not as great.

Spoo

stuburns said:
It really depends on what you get out of the series I think. For me it's never been the battle system particularly, it's been the world, and just that level of polish they put in. The Final Fantasy games are always of the highest quality, and have such a richly imagined new world to explore. But, in recent years I've found it harder to be engrossed by the more high fantasy games, it's like I need them to be more grounded in reality for me to really get into them. FFVersusXIII certainly has that grounding, and I'm defiantly more excited about real-time action combat than the more traditional system in FFXIII. The game is just much more 'me' than the regular XIII.

Yeah, it's interesting that you bring that up; I don't think Final Fantasy games, in general, have appealed to me at all because of their combat systems. I could pick apart the last few, and certainly find aspects I like and dislike, but they never, ever sell me on the product. In fact, chances are, they'll dissuade me from playing if anything (I didn't like FFXII's battle system, for example, while I found FFX's simple, elegant, and fun -- if maybe too simple/formulaic at times).

I think I'm excited for FFXIII because, in the first time in a very, very long time, I'm okay with just accepting the high fantasy and reliving some of those teenage years of pure Final Fantasy joy that came with just saying "sure, I can buy into that." I loved FFX, and XIII seems very close in design and feel.

But FFversusXIII is immediately appealing to the older gamer in me. I want something more refined, more mature, perhaps a little more action-oriented, but I still want it to retain the classy nature of the FF games and the quality that always stems from them. "This is fantasy based on reality" -- it's going to be easier for my adult mind to buy into something like this, and so, without much work on my part, I think I'll be easily engrossed and entertained in this story.

As for which game will prove to be the best, that totally is up in the air. If FFversusXIII can provide a FF experience (ie: large scope, long play time, strong storyline, killer production values, and motivating characters/scenarios) while giving me a combat system I can sink my teeth into, it'll be a favorite. On the other hand, if it's "level based" connected by cutscenes and just doesn't have a lot of RPG-styled content (items, stores, exploration, etc, etc), FFXIII may win out.

Either way, I don't really have to choose between one or the other to own. They'll both be mine day one, so fuck it lol

StuBurns

Banned
Technically most FFs aren't turn based, you don't take turns. It's based on time, and each character has independent lengths they have to wait. But I still use the term turn-based to describe that static menu style combat system.

Spoo, I agree with pretty much everything you just said. By what Nomura has said Versus is a very traditional FF in terms of design, world map, airships, that kind of thing. I personally would like it to be a little shorter, 30 hours wouldn't upset me at all. Long games are another thing I don't appreciate as much now as I did.

Aeana

Darkpen said:
In my book, turn based = FF1/FFX style. When there's actual room for real-time input delay, I don't consider it turn based.
That's exactly what turn-based is. ATB is a (reverse) cooldown-driven real-time system.

I find that a lot of people confuse "menu-driven" for "turn-based." In Japanese, the term "command RPG" is used. No confusion.

stuburns said:
Technically most FFs aren't turn based, you don't take turns. It's based on time, and each character has independent lengths they have to wait. But I still use the term turn-based to describe that static menu style combat system.

we call that ATB

Spoo

stuburns said:
Spoo, I agree with pretty much everything you just said. By what Nomura has said Versus is a very traditional FF in terms of design, world map, airships, that kind of thing. I personally would like it to be a little shorter, 30 hours wouldn't upset me at all. Long games are another thing I don't appreciate as much now as I did.

Hell, I don't expect FFXIII to be 30 hours; having Versus hit that as a more action-oriented game would be surprising (but I'd be fine with it :D)

Spoo said:
Hell, I don't expect FFXIII to be 30 hours; having Versus hit that as a more action-oriented game would be surprising (but I'd be fine with it :D)

ffxiii will probably be much bigger than thirty hours...main quest probably around 45, and then extra content will take it to over a hundred...mainline ffs are massive games...

From what has been said, Versus sounds like it will be pretty epic as well...These are a couple of the few games I want to be as large as possible...

Spoo

nelsonroyale said:
ffxiii will probably be much bigger than thirty hours...main quest probably around 45, and then extra content will take it to over a hundred...mainline ffs are massive games...

From what has been said, Versus sounds like it will be pretty epic as well...These are a couple of the few games I want to be as large as possible...

Well, what with the production values behind today's next-gen games (a FF game must now have: hot shit engine/tools with years of r&d, full voice acting, larger than life set pieces, CG sequences which probably take 9 hours to render 1 frame, etc etc etc), I just assumed that both FFXIII and versus XIII would be shorter than the last generation FF games.

But, hey, if they're just as long... that's awesome.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Himuro said:
Did you read what I said? I didn't call him emo. I called him a fucking loser.

Unlike Squall who is emo, and possibly bipolar with how fast he goes from not caring about Rinoa to being in love with her.

Vincent is definitely more emo than Cloud was in VII

StuBurns

Banned
Spoo said:
Well, what with the production values behind today's next-gen games (a FF game must now have: hot shit engine/tools with years of r&d, full voice acting, larger than life set pieces, CG sequences which probably take 9 hours to render 1 frame, etc etc etc), I just assumed that both FFXIII and versus XIII would be shorter than the last generation FF games.

But, hey, if they're just as long... that's awesome.
They'll be physically smaller I'm sure, just in terms of geometry I think we'll travel a lot less. But they could raise the volume of content for space and still keep them long. I think FFXIII will be pretty long.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Himuro said:
Cocoon is where they're from. The city they're fighting is Cocoon. They're taken to Pulse.

I'm not talking about in FFVII. Did you read my post? Christ.

Yes I know you are discussing AC and how they ruined Cloud. Poorly worded on my part.

Thats why I put the "unlike" at the beginning of my post.

21 pounds import tax!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't see how the games will be smaller...I hope for something as large as FFXII, which looked just as good on a micro level considering the system and was absolutely large... They are releasing this game on 360 as well to recoup the costs...we already know the budget will be massive...they won't skimp on this game

KTallguy

Banned
Your right about Cloud being ... aloof in everything but FF7.
It's like he's completely detached from everything around him.

Squall is much more compelling to me, as he's a very emotional character, both in FF8 and in the other spinoffs.

The personalities of Cloud in FF7 and Squall in FF8 are relatively similar by my memory, just Squall is more outspoken about his feelings... or maybe I'm full of shit.

HK-47 said:
Unlike Squall who is emo, and possibly bipolar with how fast he goes from not caring about Rinoa to being in love with her.

Vincent is definitely more emo than Cloud was in VII
Cloud was never emo in 7 though.
Sure he had a mental breakdown but he recovered.

The movie that's a different story. He was so out of character.

Awntawn

Aeana said:
That's exactly what turn-based is. ATB is a (reverse) cooldown-driven real-time system.

I find that a lot of people confuse "menu-driven" for "turn-based." In Japanese, the term "command RPG" is used. No confusion.
If you turned on the "wait" mode in an ATB system where all of the action pauses once one of your characters' ATB fills up, does that essentially turn it into a turn-based system?

StuBurns

Banned
Awntawn said:
If you turned on the "wait" mode in an ATB system where all of the action pauses once one of your characters' ATB fills up, does that essentially turn it into a turn-based system?
No, because you still aren't taking turns. Wait just means the time you spend in menus doesn't count to the ATB.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Ballistictiger said:
Cloud was never emo in 7 though.
Sure he had a mental breakdown but he recovered.

The movie that's a different story. He was so out of character.

I know! Thats why I said it was poorly worded on my part. I meant to say something along the line of Vincent being the emo, not Cloud, but instead I made it seem like they both were.

My fucking bad.

Captain N

Does any of the footage from the demo sway anyone here from importing the retail version? If you weren't planning on importing the retail game..will you now?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Himuro said:
Vincent's not emo either.

I wish I could meet the person who created the word 'emo' so I could strangle him.

He definitely is.

Also I already shot him. Someone called in that hit long ago.

stuburns said:
Rape. Mine is going to my parents house not my flat, I wonder if they'll moan at me for buying a demo for like £70 then.

ha, well mine was going to my parent's home as well...didn't want to let them know how fecking stupid I was so I quickly phoned UPS to cover the cost... you know you have to play some bloody stupid defferment tax the grasping government...tax on foreign goods...they should have sent the dvd as broken goods damn them...then no charge...nothing

jiggle

Himuro said:
My Japanese isn't all that great, but I clearly remember Lightning saying that Pulse is hell and stuff and that she's not going to Pulse or something.

Hmm that would mean the prisoners were being sent to somewhere else in Cocoon then.

Was expecting cocoon to look entirely man made. Didn't expect natural environments.

Awntawn

stuburns said:
No, because you still aren't taking turns. Wait just means the time you spend in menus doesn't count to the ATB.
IIRC correctly, FF8's wait mode meant once the ATB fills up all of the action freezes until you perform an action or skip, in this sense isn't the net result essentially exactly the same as a turn-based system? The turns are determined based on the calculations of speed stats and whatnot, whereas in an ATB system it's done in real time, but if no extra time is wasted due to user input as a result of the Wait mode being on, then wouldn't it end up being exactly the same? The order of the actions between characters would be the same, except instead of being pre-calculated by numbers it plays out in front of you in real time, wouldn't it?

It's clear that nobody black has worked on this game. I mean, a fro with a bird (okay, chocobo) living in it?

Seriously though they should get Chris Tucker to voice Sazh.

StuBurns

Banned
Awntawn said:
IIRC correctly, FF8's wait mode meant once the ATB fills up all of the action freezes until you perform an action or skip, in this sense isn't the net result essentially exactly the same as a turn-based system? The turns are determined based on the calculations of speed stats and whatnot, whereas in an ATB system it's done in real time, but if no extra time is wasted due to user input as a result of the Wait mode being on, then wouldn't it end up being exactly the same? The order of the actions between characters would be the same, except instead of being pre-calculated by numbers it plays out in front of you in real time, wouldn't it?
But you can still have more 'turns' than the enemy. What I thought turn-based meant was you take a turn, then the enemy, with ATB, even in wait, the order in which the people take a turn isn't fixed. You could have two attacks, then the enemy have one, then you have three and they have one etc.

My understanding of what turn based means could be wrong though. I thought it meant it was fixed, though, FFX is considered turn based and that's not fixed, so maybe you're right.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
timetokill said:
It's clear that nobody black has worked on this game. I mean, a fro with a bird (okay, chocobo) living in it?

Seriously though they should get Chris Tucker to voice Sazh.

Please save our ears the trouble.

Kinan

HK-47 said:
Can someone explain the white robes to me?

Seriously, it looks a bit too shiny for prisoner's robes. :p I first thought they were pilligrims or something, but they all were chained, so I dont know what to think really.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
stuburns said:
It sure is.

I love how the mood of the board has changed in a week, from "Square haven't done anything decent in years" to "holy fuck".

Square still hasnt done shit. The game isnt out.

Also TWEWY fans are gonna bite your face off

Awntawn

stuburns said:
But you can still have more 'turns' than the enemy. What I thought turn-based meant was you take a turn, then the enemy, with ATB, even in wait, the order in which the people take a turn isn't fixed. You could have two attacks, then the enemy have one, then you have three and they have one etc.

My understanding of what turn based means could be wrong though. I thought it meant it was fixed, though, FFX is considered turn based and that's not fixed, so maybe you're right.
I can't imagine it's ever fixed, at least not any game that has a speed attribute on characters. The difference between a real-time combat system and a turn-based combat system is that in the real-time combat system, the system will act without waiting for the player.

That being said, with what we see in FFXIII, it seems entirely real-time. Not only is the order of actions determined in real-time, but also the results are affected. You can interrupt attacks and your attacks can be interrupted. The positioning of the models on screen effects the timing, which effects the chaining, etc. It uses an ATB system, but the pacing seems to be very similar to FFXII's pacing. I would have to imagine that the party members would be controlled by AI based on menu settings or something, it already seems hectic enough to control one character at a time at that pace. This does definitely seem more like FFXII's battle system than X or X-2's to me, I think the fact that battles are not seamless is what throws people off here. Familiarity with WKC's battle system probably makes it easier to bridge that gap. This game looks like it took WKC's system, which had great ideas but relatively mediocre execution, and perfected it.

Awntawn said:
He's an introvert. A bitter cynic. But definitely not emo. If anything, he was a jerk; I don't know what the hell people are thinking.
A lot of introverts are mistaken for emo or are classified as one.
As a highly introverted person I know Squall is very introverted.

It's just our nature to think like that sometimes.
I wouldn't call him emo neither.

I would call a suicidal character in a game emo though.

StuBurns

Banned
Awntawn said:
I can't imagine it's ever fixed, at least not any game that has a speed attribute on characters. The difference between a real-time combat system and a turn-based combat system is that in the real-time combat system, the system will act without waiting for the player.
Fixed in the sense that it's determined new after every move. Where as with ATB it's always additive from the start of a battle.

But I think you're right, Wait is essentially turn based, if not exactly in the traditional board game sense.

Top Bottom