• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Final Fantasy XIII TRIAL VERSION Thread

rager said:
I am black, I like his character design (even the chocofo). What I don't like so far is his personality. He seems more like the stereotypical (scared negro, comic relief character). I has hoping he would be more like a Billie D/David Palmer type black man.

200px-David_Palmer.jpg

but there are many characters in games who are white, chicken and fit into the comic relieve role as well...no doubt this character will get some development in the story as well...but honestly, why not just accept him as a bit of a chicken and a klutz... I don't think it is really a big deal...this is an ff game anyway, no doubt there will be a man with a platypus face or some such...being black won't even get one comment in the story...its just a character skin

LiK

Himuro said:
Watch Zazh be the only black guy in the game.

Just like how Barret is the only black guy in FFVII.

i have high hopes there will be more, so these discussions will officially end. :p

BlazingDarkness said:
the ending was much more satisfying this time around, and i like the reference back to the end of Crisis Core too :D

for those who are like 'lulz the story' it clears up a lot of the vague elements, and makes it blatantly obvious that the story follows FFVII very closely, only in different circumstances

I like how they added a handful of extra tracks from the game as well - and how they added some new scenes for both the Turks and the other party members (though i did hope for some more for them) They've fleshed out Denzel as a character as well, his On The Way to a Smile anime short links directly with some scenes from ACC which i thought was nice.

thanks for the summary. btw, any blood? there were rumors of blood such as the scene where Sephy stabs Cloud, true?

Dali

nelsonroyale said:
but there are many characters in games who are white, chicken and fit into the comic relieve role as well...no doubt this character will get some development in the story as well...but honestly, why not just accept him as a bit of a chicken and a klutz... I don't think it is really a big deal...this is an ff game anyway, no doubt there will be a man with a platypus face or some such...being black won't even get one comment in the story...its just a character skin
Well, ethnically agnostic people fill FF, so as a group they've filled just about every archetype imaginable. It's fine that the second appearance of a Black person in a FF would be a goof with a hairdo that would lead one to believe the developer's only exposure to Black people are 70's Blacksploitation films. I'm just saying it's much more noticeable than when one of the ethnically agnostic people play the clutz or buffoon and a little disappointing. Like their train of thought was 'we haven't really needed to put a black guy in one of these games in ten years, but I've finally got just the role for one.'

Whether this is on track or not may never be known. I'm just voicing what's on my mind. Hell, maybe he'll get hit in the head half-way through the game, shave his head or cornrow it up, and basically turn into an unadulterated badass, like Udai Taxim.
2rg1e2u.jpg

rager

Banned
nelsonroyale said:

Well, you have FAR more Courageous WHITE characters than chicken/comic relief ones. And in the FF universe, barrett spoke in ebonics with a Mr T. type attitude and so far this guy is going in the comic area (so far). Hopefully he will develop, but I have a feeling this will not happen. I am not trying to make this into some racial thing.

It would be nice to see a confident/smooth black final fantasy character. Thats all. And I hope they don't give him some whiny/scared Chris Tucker type voice.

Somnia

Live UPS shipping data
Apr 17, 2009 19:30:00 US LOUISVILLE IN TRANSIT TO
Apr 17, 2009 19:29:00 HK CHEK LAP KOK DEPARTURE SCAN
Apr 17, 2009 18:20:00 HK CHEK LAP KOK HUB SCAN
Apr 17, 2009 15:15:00 HK KWAI CHUNG PICKUP SCAN
Apr 17, 2009 02:45:51 HK BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED

woo :D

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
The black discussion again, we might as well copy and paste the posts from that other thread and call it a day.

Llyranor

I'm hoping the full game does have a Wait mode, as in standard ATB fare (Active all the way for me, though!). It certainly would work, and it would bear similarities to how Grandia does it as Aenea puts it, especially since interruptions are in place. I don't see how 'realistic' characters being paused would be awkward. There are tons of 'real-time with pause' WRPGs (and FFXII, I guess) which pause the action periodically or based on your input, and stopping the flow of the battle doesn't really hinder things at all.

One advantage ATB might have here 'over' pure TB is allow you to keep characters in reserve with their ATB bar charged up, employing them to interrupt enemies and so on, as opposed to 'having' to move when your turn comes up. Could easily be simulated to the same effect in a TB system, though. I do enjoy the relatively fast pace of ATB, so this would work out well for me.

I'm not sure what to say about wanting big budget turn-based RPGs while at the same time dismissing the system they're actually released on, though. Priorities, I guess.

rataven

Just got my copy. Hopefully I'll get to play/watch in an hour or two :D

Play-asia's tracking info is all screwed up. As of early this morning, they still had it in Alaska.

Shadow780

back to post this:

BD「ファイナルファンタジーVII アドベントチルドレン コンプリート」初日で約10万本、他

first day sales about 100000 copies sold (bundle + disc package)

rager said:
Well, you have FAR more Courageous WHITE characters than chicken/comic relief ones. And in the FF universe, barrett spoke in ebonics with a Mr T. type attitude and so far this guy is going in the comic area (so far). Hopefully he will develop, but I have a feeling this will not happen. I am not trying to make this into some racial thing.

It would be nice to see a confident/smooth black final fantasy character. Thats all. And I hope they don't give him some whiny/scared Chris Tucker type voice.

I can understand that for sure, and agree to an extent... regardless, I am brown myself (mixed race), and I couldn't care less whether there is a brown, pink red character in ff, I suppose though I relate to the characters more on personality and ability rather than skin colour...but again, I can understand that perspective for sure....

Personally I think Sazh style is slick..an afro is still one of the nicest hair styles going around, most people are jealous they will never achieve that...myself included yo

Hobbun

Llyranor said:
I'm hoping the full game does have a Wait mode, as in standard ATB fare (Active all the way for me, though!). It certainly would work, and it would bear similarities to how Grandia does it as Aenea puts it, especially since interruptions are in place. I don't see how 'realistic' characters being paused would be awkward. There are tons of 'real-time with pause' WRPGs (and FFXII, I guess) which pause the action periodically or based on your input, and stopping the flow of the battle doesn't really hinder things at all.

One advantage ATB might have here 'over' pure TB is allow you to keep characters in reserve with their ATB bar charged up, employing them to interrupt enemies and so on, as opposed to 'having' to move when your turn comes up. Could easily be simulated to the same effect in a TB system, though. I do enjoy the relatively fast pace of ATB, so this would work out well for me.

I'm not sure what to say about wanting big budget turn-based RPGs while at the same time dismissing the system they're actually released on, though. Priorities, I guess.

I guess what I am saying is from what I have seen of from clips of XIII's combat, it is extremely fast. There are aerial flips that literally scroll out of view of the ground. An enemy does a jump high into the air, camera follows and Freeze! as you go into your command menu. Then it unfreezes. And that is just one command. You would continuously freezing and unfreezing combat.

Maybe I am wrong, it just appears it might look awkward when doing so. I felt it was kind of awkward and clumsy with FF XII and that was nowhere near the same speed of XIII. I would rather they just did away with the fast, real-time aspect.

LiK

Himuro said:
Her village was the best place in the fucking game! Can't get enough of Viera!

yea, a village full of rabbit girls who dress like strippers. best place in the FF world. hopefully FFXIII has something similar. :lol

Hobbun

Himuro said:
Can someone post footage of X-2 on wait mode? I don't play on that mode because it's not preference, but to my knowledge it's just fine in FFX-2, and in FFX-2 characters move all over the map and attack each other at the same time and stuff. The only thing FFXIII has added over the X-2 formula visually are the backflips and juggles and even that should be fine.

Sorry, wasn't trying to make an issue of it. I could very well be wrong, I am only going by what I have seen of FF XIII videos and guessing what it will be like from that.

Zilch

Banned
I've been meaning to pick up a cheap used copy of FFX-2 for awhile now and I just might today.

Also I just wanted to mention that a fully user-controllable camera gives me hope that many of the areas in FFXIII will be much more open and complex (ie requiring the use of the camera).

LiK

Himuro said:
As much as I love Fran and the Viera, there's only one rabbit for me:

http://www.stylecaster.com/member_files/blog/jessica-rabbit-real.jpg

So long as she doesn't play patty cake with someone else, I'm good.[/QUOTE]

:lol dude, this thread is gonna go so wrong so quick. i will behave myself now. :P

[QUOTE=Zilch]I've been meaning to pick up a cheap used copy of FFX-2 for awhile now and I just might today.

Also I just wanted to mention that a fully user-controllable camera gives me hope that many of the areas in FFXIII will be much more open and complex (ie requiring the use of the camera).[/QUOTE]

i'm not a fan of X-2's music or gameplay, but i really liked seeing the world after the first game. it was really cool to revisit all the old locations and see how former religious locations have turned into something else. really interesting.

Hobbun

LiK said:
i'm not a fan of X-2's music or gameplay, but i really liked seeing the world after the first game. it was really cool to revisit all the old locations and see how former religious locations have turned into something else. really interesting.

Uh oh, better hide from Himu. :lol

inner-G

Banned
Himuro said:
The dancers in the background crack me up EVERY TIME.
Yeah, it's like a bad 80's Madonna video or something, lol

The dude riding the flying surfboard thing playing the guitar is what gets me.

Llyranor

Hobbun said:
I guess what I am saying is from what I have seen of from clips of XIII's combat, it is extremely fast. There are aerial flips that literally scroll out of view of the ground. An enemy does a jump high into the air, camera follows and Freeze! as you go into your command menu. Then it unfreezes. And that is just one command. You would continuously freezing and unfreezing combat.

Maybe I am wrong, it just appears it might look awkward when doing so. I felt it was kind of awkward and clumsy with FF XII and that was nowhere near the same speed of XIII. I would rather they just did away with the fast, real-time aspect.
But, that's kind of precisely what turn-based is. Input command/freeze --> action --> input/freeze. I don't why turn-based systems can't be fast-paced or dynamic. The main important thing about it is that you should maintain absolute control when inputting commands; which Wait mode should allow in this case if it exists (which I have little reason to doubt since it's been in every ATB system including X-2, from the looks of it). Again, that's exactly what Grandia does, and it's a fantastic turn-based system for it. Fast-paced, dynamic, and you retain full control of your characters every turn. Freezing mid-action allows for timing-based gameplay and interruptions that an 'perform action, then go back to neutral position' system wouldn't be able to support.
__

I'm not sure, but does FFXIII allow queuing of actions, eg. input the next round's commands while this round is still being executed, then just launch them when the next round officially pops up? That was the impression I had when watching the video, but I could be wrong.

LiK

inner-G said:
Yeah, it's like a bad 80's Madonna video or something, lol

The dude riding the flying surfboard thing playing the guitar is what gets me.

i wish we had video of the mo-cap stuff. i bet those guys (yes, guys!) probably felt like jackasses :lol

Fuu

And the dancers turn into generic Leblanc goons right after for the battle. :lol They were really into it during the perforamance.

Aeana

Wow, I just noticed that the lips in both the real Emotion and 1000 Words videos from the English version of FF10-2 have voices synched with the English lyrics (more noticeable in 1000 Words). That's fantastic.

Hobbun

Llyranor said:
But, that's kind of precisely what turn-based is. Input command/freeze --> action --> input/freeze. I don't why turn-based systems can't be fast-paced or dynamic. The main important thing about it is that you should maintain absolute control when inputting commands; which Wait mode should allow in this case if it exists (which I have little reason to doubt since it's been in every ATB system including X-2, from the looks of it). Again, that's exactly what Grandia does, and it's a fantastic turn-based system for it. Fast-paced, dynamic, and you retain full control of your characters every turn. Freezing mid-action allows for timing-based gameplay and interruptions that an 'perform action, then go back to neutral position' system wouldn't be able to support.

Yes, I know that is what turn-based is. What I am saying I just think it may be more obvious with FF XIII due to the higher end graphics and faster speed of combat.

With games like Grandia 2 and 3, sure, they had fast combat, but I don't think as fast as XIII's and of course nowhere near the graphical capabilities of XIII.

Maybe you are right, maybe XIII won't be any different, but I think it will be. It's more like watching a movie and then the movie pausing constantly. The older games didn't feel like movies.

I guess we will see.

Fuu

X-2 is so much fun. LOVE how it doesn't take itself the least bit seriously. For people who haven't played,
that's not Yuna in the opening
by the way.

Aeana said:
Wow, I just noticed that the lips in both the real Emotion and 1000 Words videos from the English version of FF10-2 have voices synched with the English lyrics. That's fantastic.
I noticed it at the time, Rikku's YRP close-up at the start is re-synched too. Pretty good work.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Darkpen said:
In my book, turn based = FF1/FFX style. When there's actual room for real-time input delay, I don't consider it turn based.

Aeana said:
That's exactly what turn-based is. ATB is a (reverse) cooldown-driven real-time system.

I find that a lot of people confuse "menu-driven" for "turn-based." In Japanese, the term "command RPG" is used. No confusion.

I'm sorry, but when I play FFIV-FFIX I'm definitely waiting for my turn to come up so that I can kick some Goblin arse. The only difference is that I can watch on the screen how the turns get determined, due to the speed stat that imbalances the match for one of the parties. And, the way I see it, FFXIII is still turn-based, except much more quicker.

Even FFXII was turn-based. The only reason you wouldn't notice was because of how the gambits system hid user input.

Aeana

Regulus Tera said:
I'm sorry, but when I play FFIV-FFIX I'm definitely waiting for my turn to come up so that I can kick some Goblin arse. The only difference is that I can watch on the screen how the turns get determined, due to the speed stat that imbalances the match for one of the parties. And, the way I see it, FFXIII is still turn-based, except much more quicker.

Even FFXII was turn-based. The only reason you wouldn't notice was because of how the gambits system hid user input.
Your action has a cooldown -- you're waiting for it to come up again. What's the difference between ATB and an action game or shooter where all of your actions have cooldowns, and you have to wait for them to come up again before you can use them?

As for FF12, it's just flipped on its head. Instead, you wait for your actions to charge up before you can use them.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Aeana said:
Your action has a cooldown -- you're waiting for it to come up again. What's the difference between ATB and an action game or shooter where all of your actions have cooldowns, and you have to wait for them to come up again before you can use them?

I'm going to say it is all in the speed. There's definitely a feeling of "you go-I go-you go-I go" when playing a game with ATB. Even action games that have cooldown bars and not cooldown animation, you can usually move around and try to evade attacks.

ATB, at least in the way implemented in FFIV-FFIX, is still a representation of the abstract fights first introduced by pen and paper RPG. You are not choosing attacks in real-time, but rather watching how the dice roll in real-time so that then you can choose your attacks.

Top Bottom