• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Final Fantasy XIII TRIAL VERSION Thread

Aeana

Regulus Tera said:
I'm going to say it is all in the speed. There's definitely a feeling of "you go-I go-you go-I go" when playing a game with ATB. Even action games that have cooldown bars and not cooldown animation, you can usually move around and try to evade attacks.

ATB, at least in the way implemented in FFIV-FFIX, is still a representation of the abstract fights first introduced by pen and paper RPG. You are not choosing attacks in real-time, but rather watching how the dice roll in real-time so that then you can choose your attacks.
Earlier versions of ATB feel that way, I agree, but I still don't think that makes them turn-based. Regardless, though, this discussion is about the newer versions of ATB found in FF10-2, FF12, and now FF13. In FF10-2, you can not only act at the same time as other characters, it's part of the strategy: interrupting enemy attacks. The same goes for FF13. FF12 lets many actions occur simultaneously, as well.

LiK

inner-G said:
there's only 2 or 3 of the pop CG scenes, if you liked X it's still totally worth playing imo.

the 1000 words song was amazing. my fave song in the game.

and X-2 is definitely worth playing for Rikku alone. i'm not sure how much cuter she can get :p

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Aeana said:
Earlier versions of ATB feel that way, I agree, but I still don't think that makes them turn-based. Regardless, though, this discussion is about the newer versions of ATB found in FF10-2, FF12, and now FF13. In FF10-2, you can not only act at the same time as other characters, it's part of the strategy: interrupting enemy attacks. The same goes for FF13. FF12 lets many actions occur simultaneously, as well.

I would say FFXIII is about as turn-based as FFXII (that is, a little). That said, I didn't see that you could interrupt enemy attacks in the demo walkthrough I watched. Only that giant behemoth thing that did like 700 HP damage.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Kagari said:
Need more impressions now! Looks like I won't be able to post mine until Monday.

Hopefully I get it today and yea I will post some impressions with better grammar and spelling. :D

LiK

neojubei said:
Hopefully I get it today and yea I will post some impressions with better grammar and spelling. :D

i'll be posting some pics too ;)

APZonerunner said:
100,000 first day? Wow. Where's that from?

and 10 people from that list got it for the movie (like me) :lol

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Holy goddam at the graphics in the Versus trailer. The image quality is...immaculate. Looks like 4x AA at least. The image is absolutely perfect.

thuway

Y2Kev said:
Holy goddam at the graphics in the Versus trailer. The image quality is...immaculate. Looks like 4x AA at least. The image is absolutely perfect.

How much better than the gamersdye vid? I want some uncompressed vids! Kagari make our dreams come true.

Y2Kev said:

And it's an even earlier state than FFXIII :lol
I remember Nomura said he wasn't satisfied with the graphics, but they already look so far ahead of the competition.

The trailer looks much nicer on my TV than any version I can find on the internet.

StuBurns

Banned
Not satisfied? It's already the best looking PS3 game I know of, unless Nomura wants to ship it with a RAM pack he's out of luck.

stuburns said:
Not satisfied? It's already the best looking PS3 game I know of, unless Nomura wants to ship it with a RAM pack he's out of luck.

Yeah, the trailer looks great. But so far the realtime footage of the game consists of two character models walking and talking. Not exactly indicative of gameplay............. I hope.

StuBurns

Banned
Valkyr Junkie said:
Yeah, the trailer looks great. But so far the realtime footage of the game consists of two character models walking and talking. Not exactly indicative of gameplay............. I hope.
Indeed, they haven't shown any combat, but they did show some gameplay of Noctis running around an environment last year, they haven't put it out, I was hoping it'd be in this new trailer. Shame.

Maybe he's not happy with the gameplay visually, hence why he hasn't shown it.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
U K Narayan said:
FedEx needs to release my copy for shipment al-fucking-ready. :mad:

Did you contact play-asia? I did and they gave Fedex the papers they needed... now just waiting for those idiots at customs to release the damn thing.

Lucis

Just saw the agito trailer too. damn my bluray needs to come in too.
But seriously... Give me vs and agito, I can live with out the actual main game lol.

NameIess

Valkyr Junkie said:

What he said...

I'm impressed with the visuals seen, but will reserve judgement until we see actual gameplay.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Snow's model looks fantastic. How did they do his beard? It looks like Chris's beard from the original RE5 trailer.

Kagari said:
Did you contact play-asia? I did and they gave Fedex the papers they needed... now just waiting for those idiots at customs to release the damn thing.
I called FedEx and the customer service representative told me that they received clearance to ship the package. I'm also waiting for customs to release it.

Top Bottom