• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Final Fantasy XIII TRIAL VERSION Thread

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Took a quick pic with my iPhone

>_< still at work though

9c8cd963.jpg

LiK said:
:lol so mean

I've got both systems, that said, I'll probably get this on the PS3 because I don't want to change discs and I disagree with how Microsoft has handled the packaging of multi-disc games.

careksims

Shadow780 said:
more pixelated than others.

I have to agree. You can really see it in the hair. Still I really enjoyed the movie. The added scenes and effects make it much better. I wonder if the US version will clean up the pixelations.

Ricker

Just watched the 4 great HD vids from Gamersyde and damn,it looks awesome...I read some people actually complaining about the graphics...jesus,what more do they want.

So are we not able to control the other characters in battle? I know in the demo we can't, but I thought I read that the final version will be akin to FFXII in that you only have minimum control over the others. If that's the case, noooooooooo

Y2Kev said:
Snow's model looks fantastic. How did they do his beard? It looks like Chris's beard from the original RE5 trailer.

I thought the same thing, well, about the stubble he's rocking. Impressive stuff.

the only character design I dislike is Waka-redux

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I thought that was excellent. I really enjoyed it. Things I would like to see in the final version:

1. Field engage like Persona 4. I don't really understand how battle is engaged here-- it seems to be just running into enemies, but both Snow and Lightning have confused/engaged animations, so it seems like it might be a demo omission. It would be rather easy to implement, too-- X button swings the blade to engage an enemy, if you hit him, you start with full meter, if he hits you, your meter delays a few seconds in filling.

2. I don't like attacking air. If the enemy is defeated, stop the combo chain. That's some FF1 style stuff. :D On the other hand, I understand it's the penalty for choosing too many actions at once. So maybe this isn't something they need to fix.

3. Not a fan of having to wait until your chain expires before you can start inputting new actions. As an action chain executes, you should be able to use the menus and start building the next chain (you can't).

4. Magic seems underpowered, but that might be necessary because it doesn't have an MP cost. It will be interesting to see how they balance the game to be difficult.

Snow is more powerful than Lightning-- this might just be in the demo, of course. But I found Snow to be dealing 200+ damage a hit and Lightning to be sub 100.

The music is incredible.

I died on the boss of the demo...I don't know what the hell happened. I was stuck getting juggled in the air with his, like, 500 damage attack and I didn't have enough time to heal, let alone attack him back.

Still, awesome demo and much, much more excited for the full game now. The combat system reminds me a tiny bit of Grandia without the position on field being so important. Other than controlling other characters, I hope they let you queue up attacks/commands. I want to be able to heal, then while that action is taking place, I am already inputting the next attack pattern I will use.

Visually the game is stunning. Music is great too, but tbh, I was thinking more about the Versus XIII music while playing the demo since I watched it right before.

KTallguy

Banned
I just watched that movie that came with the demo.

- Amazingly, the CG looks ever so slightly dated now, ESPECIALLY compared to the FFXIII CG. Hair is a bit pixely and there are a few jagged edges that BluRay exposes. But hell, it's still beautiful looking.

- Cloud is indeed a loser in the beginning, but he toughens up a bit. I don't remember what story bits were added and which are old, but everything seemed to make a bit more sense than when I watched it several years back. But I did enjoy the movie quite a bit, honestly more than I expected.

- Tifa is hot. Stupid Aerith is getting in the way of hotness. What a waste. &#12418;&#12358;&#22823;&#19976;&#22827;&#12289;so get with it, Cloud.

LiK

KTallguy said:
- Tifa is hot. Stupid Aerith is getting in the way of hotness. What a waste. &#12418;&#12358;&#22823;&#19976;&#22827;&#12289;so get with it, Cloud.

Tifa had a boob reduction, you can't blame him :p

Hobbun

Digital-Hero said:
I became an unemployed statistic at the correct time. :lol

Wait..... :(

Ouch, sorry to hear that.

I don't think I would want that tradeoff, though.

Able to play FF XIII demo....work....hmmm.

Good luck on finding another job.

VegaShinra

That demo was great. The battle system is smooth and the music is remarkable. Playing it again.

I just want to clear this much up: the battle system is essential you can choose 3 attacks and then use them all at once as soon as the timer is filled. Right?

So I just lost to the behemoth again. That thing is freaking cheap. And the starting over right before the battle thing clearly isn't implemented in the demo.

Anyway, after playing it again, I only have a few major complaints about the demo:

1. Battle system is still really overwhelming. I just can't concentrate on all the enemies' hp, my own hp (which is written in tiny font to begin with), what the AI partners are doing, how much damage I'm causing, and inputting my own chain of commands ALL in real time. I still think this game desperately needs a "wait" mode for battles. It would help with the strategy.

2. The graphics. I have no problem with gameplay graphics which are spectacular. It's the cutscene character models which seem pretty inconsistent. There is one cutscene in the demo where Snow and Nora are meeting up with the prisoners (which is the scene partially shown in the latest trailer) and the quality there is outstanding. The animation and detail are almost CG quality. I thought it even looked slightly better than the Versus trailer. But other cutscenes in the demo use these weird looking character models that are not quite the same as the gameplay models, but are clearly behind the models used in the scene I mentioned. An example of this is in the beginning when Lightning is facing off against the robot dragon (the scene which was previously done in CG in older trailers). Her model looks really strange there, almost last gen, and the animation isn't very smooth. I'm guessing this is what Kitase means when he says the graphics are incomplete.

3. The way the camera doesn't stay locked is kind of annoying. It keeps zooming in the very moment you stop moving. It should just stay locked like FFXII.

StuBurns

Banned
H_Prestige said:
So I just lost to the behemoth again. That thing is freaking cheap. And the starting over right before the battle thing clearly isn't implemented in the demo.

Anyway, after playing it again, I only have a few major complaints about the demo:

1. Battle system is still really overwhelming. I just can't concentrate on all the enemies' hp, my own hp (which is written in tiny font to begin with)
Are you playing in HD?

VegaShinra said:
That demo was great. The battle system is smooth and the music is remarkable. Playing it again.

I just want to clear this much up: the battle system is essential you can choose 3 attacks and then use them all at once as soon as the timer is filled. Right?

Yeah, it's the Time Gauge

stuburns said:
Are you playing in HD?

Yep, 1080p. I put in FFXII just to compare, and the font was a lot more visible. With that game I can kind of just see what's going on through my periphery since the numbers go yellow and then red and are fairly big. That happens in FFXIII too, but it's not as noticeable so I have to take my eyes off the rest of the action momentarily to check up on my HP.

StuBurns

Banned
H_Prestige said:
Yep, 1080p. I put in FFXII just to compare, and the font was a lot more visible. With that game I can kind of just see what's going on through my periphery since the numbers go yellow and then red and are fairly big. That happens in FFXIII too, but it's not as noticeable so I have to take my eyes off the rest of the action momentarily to check up on my HP.
Disappointing, must be impossible to read for the SD players then.

It looks okay from the videos playing on my TV, but watching is very different to playing when you're monitoring something.

Shadow780

Demo is shorter than I expected, glad I bought it for the movie
and the Versus trailer
~

Battle is definitely underwhelmed at the moment, feels like alot haven't been shown. It was a "O" button fest for the most part. Sazh and team Nora's been healing me constantly.

I think in the full game the ATB bar section (three parts in the demo) will expand to allow more command inputs so that you can execute more than three moves, especially for juggling purposes.

Graphically there are frame rate drops during cutscenes but for the most part it's enjoyable.

If I were to rate the demo I'd give it a 7/10, +1 for having the Versus trailer~ :p

Shadow780

stuburns said:

It looks okay from the videos playing on my TV, but watching is very different to playing when you're monitoring something.

It's a little bit too horizontal like it's been squeezed, but I can see it just fine.

LiK

stuburns said:

S-E "FUCK YOU losers! we put a shit ton of money into the graphics, you tube TV users can GTFO!"

:p

VegaShinra said:
Alright. What's the second option below the top option, which i assumed was the characters name. Is that the second characters list of commands?

I did a translation for ya, let me know if you're still confused

click for proper size

Top Bottom