• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Final Fantasy XIII TRIAL VERSION Thread

BlazingDarkness said:
I did a translation for ya, let me know if you're still confused

click for proper size

I don't see why they even have the black magic and white magic menus in the options when the fight menu has all the commands in the first place.

VegaShinra

BlazingDarkness said:
I did a translation for ya, let me know if you're still confused

click for proper size
Before that menu option. I figured out those from trail and error. You know the menu before that? Just the three bars are options and then clicking them brings you to those. I guess the opening battle menu you'd call it :lol

Edit- NVM I see it on that screen. Skill and Black magic options.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
H_Prestige said:
I don't see why they even have the black magic and white magic menus in the options when the fight menu has all the commands in the first place.
Presumably in the final game you'll have a lot more spells and you'll need more room.

stuburns said:
Disappointing, must be impossible to read for the SD players then.

It looks okay from the videos playing on my TV, but watching is very different to playing when you're monitoring something.

I've played it on three different televisions, one of which was a twenty inch SD TV and it there was no issue with reading text or small details on the screen.

Glad to see that so many people have finally received the demo and have played through it. Its actually a relief to hear that there are GAFers who aren't gushing over the game, there needs to be some folks who aren't impressed. The demo is great, but it certainly isnt perfect.

Do we know if Kagari has her copy yet?

jett

D-Member
TheChillyAcademic said:
I've played it on three different televisions, one of which was a twenty inch SD TV and it there was no issue with reading text or small details on the screen.

Glad to see that so many people have finally received the demo and have played through it. Its actually a relief to hear that there are GAFers who aren't gushing over the game, there needs to be some folks who aren't impressed. The demo is great, but it certainly isnt perfect.

Do we know if Kagari has her copy yet?

I'm wondering, is it letterboxed widescreen(black bars) on a SDTV?

VegaShinra said:
Before that menu option. I figured out those from trail and error. You know the menu before that? Just the three bars are options and then clicking them brings you to those. I guess the opening battle menu you'd call it :lol

Edit- NVM I see it on that screen. Skill and Black magic options.

Hehe i made it clearer for you

jett said:
I'm wondering, is it letterboxed widescreen(black bars) on a SDTV?

Surprisingly enough, it isn't. I suppose you could technically fuss with the video output settings on your PS3 to force the game into "widescreen" mode, but the game doesn't default to it in either gameplay or cutscenes. I didn't notice any stretching or cutoffs through the entire demo, it looked perfect.

joesmokey

Wow, maybe it's just my super high hype level right now, but seeing the trailer we've all seen 1000x on my tv is just amazing. The image quality is superb.

I suck at taking pictures of my TV but here goes. If anyone wants me to remove the links for smaller versions lemme know:

IMG_1469.jpg

IMG_1472.jpg

IMG_1474.jpg

IMG_1484.jpg

IMG_1485.jpg

joesmokey said:
Wow, maybe it's just my super high hype level right now, but seeing the trailer we've all seen 1000x on my tv is just amazing. The image quality is superb.

I suck at taking pictures of my TV but here goes. If anyone wants me to remove the links for smaller versions lemme know:

You think you could make those pictures any bigger? I dont know.

:p

StuBurns

Banned
Hobbun said:
I'm surprised the title area is in English. (Playable demo and Trailer)
There's more than that, the combat system has an english name, as does 'treasure'.

It's in quite a few Japanese games I've seen, not sure if a great deal of Japanese people know some basic English or something.

inner-G

Banned
Woot, copy showed up.

Ugh, I have a Logic class from 3-4:00 it's gonna seem sooo loooong. :lol

Will post impressions after me and some friends put some time in it.

the packaging itself is omg awesome. I like how sephiroth from the case shows through the cover. fancy schmancy.

joesmokey said:
Not sure if photobucket would let me :).

Seriously if it's too obnoxious I'll size them down some more.

Nah no biggie, lord knows I was excited as hell when I got the demo yesterday too :D

Hobbun said:
I'm surprised the title screen area is in English. (Playable demo and Trailer)

What I'm surprised at is that besides the title screen, treasure and the chapter introductions, there is NO English in the game. Even small details, like the message crawl above the connector doors in the train are in Japanese. Hell, the yellow caution "tape" that surrounds certain canisters is in Japanese lol.

stuburns said:
There's more than that, the combat system has an english name, as does 'treasure'.

It's in quite a few Japanese games I've seen, not sure if a great deal of Japanese people know some basic English or something.

They learn it in school (but most never really use it), so random English words aren't intimidating.

Hobbun

stuburns said:

Hm, never knew that.

But I wonder why they do that for the Japanese games? I mean why not just make it all Japanese? I've never seen sporadic words in Japanese on localized games.

Do they maybe do it in anticipation of the game being localized and less to change?

joesmokey

Alright so very early impressions:

Battle system is pretty fast. Is there anyway to change enemies in the middle of your 3 options? Or do you have to use all of your 3 options on the same target? So far it's annoying trying to change targets mid battle for attack, but I'm probably doing it wrong. Engaging enemies seems a little awkward (also probably doing it incorrectly). You see them, you dance off for a bit, then engage if you run up directly in their face. Camera isn't bad so far, I like the vantage point. If you are up against a wall though it tends to be too close like always. I like how the treasure is very obvious to find (are all of them like this?). It makes it very obvious to see so you don't have to hunt through every nook and cranny.

I'm not for certain, but using Fire 3 (w/e) at close range seemed to be doing damage to myself as well.

Graphics are pretty good, the IQ is very clean. CGI is a very noticeable step-up from in-game, but in-game graphics are still impressive. Just a demo version but I am disappointed there is an invisible wall on the bridge sequence. You should be able to at least walk up to the edge/side of the bridge, but they stop you short.

The animation is well done, though I'm not seeing something leaps and bounds ahead of something like Uncharted or anything. Excellent facial expressions and perfect lip sync of course.

I'm not very far but so far the battle music is good and the normal music on the bridge is just kinda there, nothing impressive yet.

One more thing, I know it's a completely different battle system, but I'm disappointed they reverted back to where if you kill an enemy on your first command, you waste the next two instead of automatically switching to the next. It may not be a big deal in the long run since everything is fast anyway, but still a nitpick.

LiK

HAHAHAHA, UPS gave me the wrong package. there was a camera inside. he came back and gave me the correct package. WOW, that was kinda close. i didn't mind a free camera :lol

quick impressions, gorgeous packaging and the cases rawk. they remind me of something similar, will post pics soon.

tokkun

What is the GAF consensus from this 30+ page thread? I watched the Gamersyde videos, and have to say that the demo looks incredibly boring. Way worse than the FF7 or FF8 demos. I still have high hopes for the full game, but in and of itself the demo seemed really disappointing.

rataven

neoism said:
Does anyone think they will rename the characters for the US release!?
I hope not. I like the meteorological naming trend! At least with the leads. Snow's name should have been our first clue that Lightning wouldn't be the sole lead this time.

I'm still working :( The package is sitting right in front of me and I can't do anything about it!

joesmokey said:
Alright so very early impressions:

Battle system is pretty fast. Is there anyway to change enemies in the middle of your 3 options? Or do you have to use all of your 3 options on the same target? So far it's annoying trying to change targets mid battle for attack, but I'm probably doing it wrong. Engaging enemies seems a little awkward (also probably doing it incorrectly). You see them, you dance off for a bit, then engage if you run up directly in their face. Camera isn't bad so far, I like the vantage point. If you are up against a wall though it tends to be too close like always. I like how the treasure is very obvious to find (are all of them like this?). It makes it very obvious to see so you don't have to hunt through every nook and cranny.

I'm not for certain, but using Fire 3 (w/e) at close range seemed to be doing damage to myself as well.

Graphics are pretty good, the IQ is very clean. CGI is a very noticeable step-up from in-game, but in-game graphics are still impressive. Just a demo version but I am disappointed there is an invisible wall on the bridge sequence. You should be able to at least walk up to the edge/side of the bridge, but they stop you short.

The animation is well done, though I'm not seeing something leaps and bounds ahead of something like Uncharted or anything. Excellent facial expressions and perfect lip sync of course.

I'm not very far but so far the battle music is good and the normal music on the bridge is just kinda there, nothing impressive yet.

One more thing, I know it's a completely different battle system, but I'm disappointed they reverted back to where if you kill an enemy on your first command, you waste the next two instead of automatically switching to the next. It may not be a big deal in the long run since everything is fast anyway, but still a nitpick.

If you press X to cancel the stocked commands after the enemy your attacking dies, it stops attacking and leaves the remaining stock for you to target another enemy iirc

jett

D-Member
TheChillyAcademic said:
Surprisingly enough, it isn't. I suppose you could technically fuss with the video output settings on your PS3 to force the game into "widescreen" mode, but the game doesn't default to it in either gameplay or cutscenes. I didn't notice any stretching or cutoffs through the entire demo, it looked perfect.

Eh...are you sure? Are you saying it runs in 4:3 full screen? Maybe you didn't configure your PS3 for a non-widescreen TV? :p

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
BlazingDarkness said:
If you press X to cancel the stocked commands after the enemy your attacking dies, it stops attacking and leaves the remaining stock for you to target another enemy iirc

Good decision.

Personally i found the combat super easy to get used to, i was launching the Behemoth into the air like three times in a row on my first run :lol

My only complaints would be the movement during the battles themselves, it's pretty vague as to how you can actually move, sometimes moving the left analog stick allows your character to move freely about during battle, other times your character will just change direction, and many times they won't move at all - so im not quite sure how that works yet, and also, Lightning and Snow are way more powerful than Team Nora, outside of Healing they aren't very effective (but i can understand why in the demo)
but aside from that, i have no issues :D

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I don't like how they made that image of lightning so dark, it ruins the image I think. *sigh, waits for demo to arrive

Reading all the impressions makes me glad I didn't import this. It pretty much sounds like it'd ruin the JRPG genre for me from a gameplay standpoint for the rest of this gen.

joesmokey

Holy crap, I was attacking someone in a sequence with Snow, he got the first hit, the enemy engaged an npc to attack (close-up) and essentially moved out of the way and Snow's kicked wiffed :lol

VegaShinra

SolidSnakex said:
Reading all the impressions makes me glad I didn't import this. It pretty much sounds like it'd ruin the JRPG genre for me from a gameplay standpoint for the rest of this gen.
How so? It's a solid demo and I like the changes, thus far. It reminds me of the Tales series a small bit, but with SE love.

VegaShinra said:
How so? It's a solid demo and I like the changes, thus far. It reminds me of the Tales series a small bit, but with SE love.

I'm a sucker for really fast battle systems. After the Grandia games i've had trouble enjoying JRPG battle systems because of how fast Grandia moves in comparison to them. This seems to be even faster.

joesmokey

Well that was an extremely quick demo, and I paused through a lot of sections too.

It certainly succeeds in doing its job, I can't wait for the final game now.

The battle system is very fun, it'll be crazy controlling all three party members in the actual game.

N30RYU

H_Prestige said:

I don't know for black magic, but you only can access cure from white magic option. That's 'cause they don't want us to make combos like attack+attack+cure, but surely they could have done something like if you choose attack/black magic for the first action cure will be dissabled, or if you choose cure for the first action, attacks/black magic are dissabled.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I played it a second time and really got good at it. I built some really cool launching chains.

Something I like about the AI at present is the audio cues. You know when Osaka Whore is about to heal you cause she always signals it. Saves me time in the menus.

LiK

ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
You got the Advent Pieces set from way back? Only Japanese one I got was the First Printing bogstandard Advent Children import with the shiny version of the domestic package art.

yea, it was expensive~ ;_;

LiK said:
yea, it was expensive~ ;_;

Aaaagh, I knew I forgot to ask something. Was the redone-disc-art version of FFVII the original or International version? At this point I'm definitely not gonna hunt it down on eBay or whatnot, but I'm kinda curious.

Top Bottom