• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Final Fantasy XIII TRIAL VERSION Thread

Hobbun

Llyranor said:
If you're allowed to queue up commands (eg. set them up before the action bar actually gets filled up), then the actual act of inputting commands should be pretty fast, so toggling between characters in full control should be manageable with some quick thinking and quick fingers.

Of course, Wait mode should be allowed for those who don't want that. Adjustable difficulty settings are great.

Yeah, but the problem is, at least with myself, I would constantly be looking down to input commands because battle just works so damn fast. I input Lightning's commands and then switch to someone else (or the game does, which is what I would prefer). But by the time that is done, it is Lightning's turn again, so it's then back to inputting her commands again. And so on.

I like inputting and then having some breathing room to watch what is going on. But the battle is too damn fast.

Llyranor

Well, I can't compare to X-2 or XII since I haven't played those, but I'm guessing Wait mode should actually pausing the recharging bars for everyone, since not doing so would defeat the purpose of Wait mode. It's not like this will have huge menus to scroll through. Inputting the main commands WILL essentially be the 'menu' browsing, from what it sounds.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Llyranor said:
Well, I can't compare to X-2 or XII since I haven't played those, but I'm guessing Wait mode should actually pausing the recharging bars for everyone, since not doing so would defeat the purpose of Wait mode. It's not like this will have huge menus to scroll through. Inputting the main commands WILL essentially be the 'menu' browsing, from what it sounds.

Shame on thee.

Stop playing SoZ is start playing some X-2 on the fly job change goodness

LiK

big thumbs up to the extended Sephy fight as well! pretty badass!

BlazingDarkness, you weren't kidding about the blood, OMG! :lol

Gattsu25

Banned
Afro
wow
Acting like a mix between Chris Tucker in 5th Element and a clingy scared 5 year old girl
wow
Animal living in fucking afro
wow

great going square

HK-47 said:
Shame on thee.

Stop playing SoZ is start playing some X-2 on the fly job change goodness

If you like Final Sailor Moon Fantasy X-2, the game appeared to be targeted to 12 year old japanese females. :lol

Wow, the PQ in ACC is really disappointing. The church scene like mentioned previously looks like it could just be upscaled DVD; soft edges like Tifa's hair look very jagged, and the whole scene looks like its been passed over with a blur filter.

The new footage looks significantly better, but still not as top-notch as some other CG movies I have on BD that presumably didn't have a fraction of the budget of this film. Of course this film blows away the rest when it comes to the insane amount of shit that they're rendering per frame, so you have to give them that. I think the appearance has more to due with the soft look they are going for from a cinematic perspective. I've only skipped around, so these are just initial comments from being a picky AV whore. The clips with Zack are a nice throw back to Crisis Core, but just further cement the fact that they have fully buried The Last Order.

Can't wait to watch it all the way through later.

LiK

Valkyr Junkie said:
Wow, the PQ in ACC is really disappointing. The church scene like mentioned previously looks like it could just be upscaled DVD; soft edges like Tifa's hair look very jagged, and the whole scene looks like its been passed over with a blur filter.

The new footage looks significantly better, but still not as top-notch as some other CG movies I have on BD that presumably didn't have a fraction of the budget of this film. Of course this film blows away the rest when it comes to the insane amount of shit that they're rendering per frame, so you have to give them that. I think the appearance has more to due with the soft look they are going for from a cinematic perspective. I've only skipped around, so these are just initial comments from being a picky AV whore. The clips with Zack are a nice throw back to Crisis Core, but just further cement the fact that they have fully buried The Last Order.

Can't wait to watch it all the way through later.

yea, they couldn't fix everything. but the audio sounds much better. the DVD versions were pretty wimpy. there's actually bass during the big explosions this time.

the extended ending is also much better. overall, ACC is much better than the original. i'm glad they went back and added stuff. :)

LiK

FF: ACC movie done, liked it alot. guess i should check out this lil demo some people have been talking about... :lol

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Digital-Hero said:
If you like Final Sailor Moon Fantasy X-2, the game appeared to be targeted to 12 year old japanese females. :lol

The battle system and nonlinear mission structure is what I am talking about. Maybe you didnt follow the info thread closely but I rip on X-2 all the time for its story and degrading presentation

StuBurns

Banned
HK-47 said:
The battle system and nonlinear mission structure is what I am talking about. Maybe you didnt follow the info thread closely but I rip on X-2 all the time for its story and degrading presentation
But the battle system, outside of some balance issues? It's bad ass isn't it?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
stuburns said:
But the battle system, outside of some balance issues? It's bad ass isn't it?

The battle system and on the fly job changing is badass. Thats what I'm saying. I wish it was part of a better game

LiK said:
yea, they couldn't fix everything. but the audio sounds much better. the DVD versions were pretty wimpy. there's actually bass during the big explosions this time.

the extended ending is also much better. overall, ACC is much better than the original. i'm glad they went back and added stuff. :)

Yeah, obviously if the original movie was rendered at 720x480, then that's it. There's nothing they can do to improve that aside from re-rendering the entire film again which is pretty much an impossibility. It's just weird that The Spirits Within on BD looks incredible which means it must have been rendered at 1080P. When you compare ACC and TSW, the budgets are actually pretty close according to Wikipedia, and you would anticipate the extra few years would lead to technical improvements during development, but they likely still used the same render farm. Assuming the one from Hawaii still exists.

But yeah, the sound is definitely improved and the additional content looks to make it fit much better with the lore of the series.

LiK

Valkyr Junkie said:
Yeah, obviously if the original movie was rendered at 720x480, then that's it. There's nothing they can do to improve that aside from re-rendering the entire film again which is pretty much an impossibility. It's just weird that The Spirits Within on BD looks incredible which means it must have been rendered at 1080P. When you compare ACC and TSW, the budgets are actually pretty close according to Wikipedia, and you would anticipate the extra few years would lead to technical improvements during development, but they likely still used the same render farm. Assuming the one from Hawaii still exists.

But yeah, the sound is definitely improved and the additional content looks to make it fit much better with the lore of the series.

yea, FF: AC was straight to DVD so they didnt think much of it for Blu-ray, i guess.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Valkyr Junkie said:

ya know, I would imagine the reason for it taking so long was because it was being re rendered in 1080p, IMO it looks nice just as good if not better than Spirits Within.

Nikorasu

g35twinturbo said:
There is English voice overs.

que que?

read bold :)

Wait what? I checked the menu and saw no english options. :|

...*checks again*

EDIT: Holy shit you're right. The selection boxes were invisible until you actually press the button! :lol Or maybe it's just my player.

Hobbun

Llyranor said:

Yes, you have a good point about pausing the charge bars.

As for scrolling through large menus, honestly, I hope so, I like the option of picking from a large amount of spells.

rataven

Just started the movie. Geostigma is NASTY.

Yea, I haven't been able to find any English option. Subs or dub.

EDIT: Ha, just found it. It was hiding!

LiK

rataven said:
Just started the movie. Geostigma is NASTY.

Yea, I haven't been able to find any English option. Subs or dub.

EDIT: Ha, just found it. It was hiding!

there's english dub, just no english subs

rataven

I wonder why the delay for NA release then? They got the original English VAs back, seem they could have released it simultaneously.

Hobbun said:
God, I hope not. That would suck. Then it would be exactly like FF XII, but even worse as you wouldn't even have gambits to give them commands.

I hope it's where you input someone's command, then it switches to another person and so on. Just like the ATB used to work.

This. It's funny because that is how I assumed the FFXIII battle system would work when SE started releasing pictures and info. It seems like the most logical way to make battles more manageable as well as strategical, while not compromising any of the flashy attack animations they're going for.

mjc

rataven said:
I wonder why the delay for NA release then? They got the original English VAs back, seem they could have released it simultaneously.

Square doesn't like money. I would have ponied up the dough for the same package out now.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
mjc said:
Square doesn't like money. I would have ponied up the dough for the same package out now.

Or maybe they had to spend extra time getting the licensing and distribution figured out for America.

rataven

mjc said:
Or maybe they know there're fans that'll buy both versions! I'm going to try really hard not to be one of those people, though I know I will.

And ACC is really good. I'm about an hour in and the story already makes significantly more sense. So far, the added content seems to be adding more dialogue, and less heavy on the action.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I'll have to wait till Monday to see my Cloudy in HD. Ah well. I'll just clean his Buster Swords for him in the meantime.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I hope Versus sticks to that Shakespeare quote it likes throwing around. I wont go easy on it if it doesnt

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
HK-47 said:
I hope Versus sticks to that Shakespeare quote it likes throwing around. I wont go easy on it if it doesnt
I think Stella is going to be a member of a rival family, etc., they don't realize that they are opposed to each other for a while, etc., they battle in a grand battle after realizing they can't be with each other, etc., they both die, etc., everyone realizes that both sides were wrong and both sides were right, etc.

Top Bottom