• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Final Fantasy XIII TRIAL VERSION Thread

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
jett said:
...that's because the picture, the totally shitty quality picture in the right is crushed horizontally.
Yeah I was gonna say, it's a totally different moment in the movie.

But it still looks like he is sucking on a lemon

StuBurns

Banned
Picture1copy.png

It's clearly not the same build, one has fish.

rataven

Just finished the movie. Loved it! Here’re some thoughts. Next, the demo.

-Vincent's shoes are still stupid.
-Cloud's bond with Denzel and Marlene is actually sweet and not creepy.
-I lol'ed at Loz. "Bang! Bang, bang, BANG!"
-Cloud seems to have his badassery back. He enters the fight before Bahamut actually fighting the other monsters and rescuing Tifa, not just moseying up on his bike.
-Cloud is really, really,
really
hot
-The motorcycle through the helicopter!
-They should have included another summon. Leviathan would have been fitting.
-Interesting touch with
Avalanche killing Denzel's family
-Holy crap at the Seph/Cloud fight! Poor Cloud. Parts of that scene were nicely redone, not so dark.
-And Cloud started an old-school Omnislash!
Till Seph stabbed him in the chest

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Hmmm Advent Children was quite good. I'm glad Square fleshed out some of Denzel's background and the fight scenes were damn good. The motorcycle battle....oooooohhh haaaaa. I loved it. For fan service and for a video game movie, it is a cut above the rest.

Love the theme song "safe and sound".

ending credits = AWESOME.

jett said:
[IG]http://i44.tinypic.com/34yxkap.jpg[/IMG]

[IM]http://i43.tinypic.com/25tu8gw.jpg[/IMG]

It's virtually the same thing. Mostly some aspect ratio shenanigans.

Yep, if there are any changes then they're so minor that they really don't make a difference.

Now if only Square would release those gameplay screenshots of Versus that were included in the Cloud book. The game seems to be much further along that many think.

Nikorasu

neojubei said:
Hmmm Advent Children was quite good. I'm glad Square fleshed out some of Denzel's background and the fight scenes were damn good. The motorcycle battle....oooooohhh haaaaa. I loved it. For fan service and for a video game movie, it is a cut above the rest.

Love the theme song "safe and sound".

ending credits = AWESOME.

Yeah, I liked the new staff roll music more than the old one. Seeing the pretty scenery in hi-def was wonderful too, and Cloud on his bike really blends in well.

I think they removed the quick shot of Aerith in the field though! At least I never noticed it.. D:

I heard they were sticking a new staff roll theme in for the international version. Boo-urns.

SolidSnakex said:
Yep, if there are any changes then they're so minor that they really don't make a difference.

Now if only Square would release those gameplay screenshots of Versus that were included in the Cloud book. The game seems to be much further along that many think.

hasn't the development been going since XIII's started?

rataven

Nikorasu said:
I think they removed the quick shot of Aerith in the field though! At least I never noticed it.. D:
I didn't notice that shot either. They took out a couple things. They removed one of my favorite lines, when Yazoo was taunting Reno and Rude "the peons aren't trusted". Gone.

Cid and Cloud both have different entrances to the Bahamut fight too.

BlazingDarkness said:
hasn't the development been going since XIII's started?

This is what Nomura said in November of 2006

Nomura, director and character designer for Versus, discussed the difficulties of working with the new hardware. "The hurdles are greater than they were in the move from the PS1 to the PS2," said Nomura. To deal with the transition, Square Enix has all its programmers gather together to work under FFXIII producer Yoshinori Kitase on the White Engine that will power Square Enix's next generation titles. "We're probably at the point where we could make a PS3 title. However, we're currently researching how to fully tap the specs."

It seems as though we'll have to wait a bit to see anything real time from Versus. "Things like real time footage and specifics on areas like the battle system will come once the White Engine is complete," explained Nomura. "We're currently working hard on the development of [the White Engine], and once it's done, we'll have to research what can be done with it. Of course, we do have an idea of what we'd like to do."

The White Engine, it should be noted, isn't just something being made for Final Fantasy XIII. Square Enix will go through many versions of the White Engine over time, according to Nomura, with different games being developed using different versions of the tools. "It's sort of like FFXIII is there as a target. FF Versus XIII will also use the White Engine, and it will be tuned for FF Versus XIII."

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/744/744822p1.html

New cut of AC is a huge improvement. Amazed it isn't on a million illegal websites by now. Perhaps the demand isn't as insane as we thought. Not for the movie, at least.

HK-47 said:
The battle system and nonlinear mission structure is what I am talking about. Maybe you didnt follow the info thread closely but I rip on X-2 all the time for its story and degrading presentation

I've never read your ripping on X-2, so all I went on is with what you said:

"Shame on thee.

Stop playing SoZ is start playing some X-2 on the fly job change goodness"

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Digital-Hero said:
I've never read your ripping on X-2, so all I went on is with what you said:

"Shame on thee.

Stop playing SoZ is start playing some X-2 on the fly job change goodness"

Yeah so? The job changing in battle is awesome. I like the garment grid system. Its very flexible

BlazingDarkness said:
ah i thought so
that's really good, once FFXIII hits the wait for Versus XIII will seem really short (i'm guessing about a year between them)

It'll be interesting to see how they'll both turn out since both teams have said they're going to try to max out the PS3.

Getting a bit specific on the Versus project, Nomura continued, "It seems that the Versus team was, from the start, trying to get the full specifications out of the PS3, and that takes time. Just the other day, during a Versus meeting, a programmer asked, 'Is it okay to program with PS3 exclusivity in mind?'." I asked why, and he said, 'If we port it to other hardware, we have to program with that in mind.' I responded, 'Of course, Versus is PS3 exclusive.'"

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/837/837350p1.html

StuBurns

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
It'll be interesting to see how they'll both turn out since both teams have said they're going to try to max out the PS3.
I think Versus will end up looking the better of the two. And extra year to squeeze the Cell is bound to help. The current trailer has really exceptional image quality already.

LiK

Alrighty, finished the demo.

Impressions:
Pretty short (45 min with all cutscenes) and very easy. Didn't die once and using the combos was mad easy. Had a fun time juggling the enemies around and the bosses pose no threat since I had my allies and myself to heal whenever.

Graphics are very nice and the facial animations are excellent! But i did notice some framerate stutter and slowdown in a few in-game cutscenes. Pretty sporadic, hopefully they'll be gone in the final release.

Music is nice, particularly the battle music that everyone has been raving about. I like it too although the regular dungeon music was boring. The audio is excellent cuz if you have a 5.1, there's sounds coming from every channel with explosions and planes flying around you. Very well done. The voices fit the characters well and they sound excellent.

Overall, great lil demo. I'm looking forward to the retail game now.

btw, I'm a new fan of Snow. He seems pretty cool. ;)

Himuro said:
It's always like that. Even FFXII's demo was like that for the most part.

FFVII's was like that, VIII's, X's, X-2's and XII's.

They have no argument here, they're just bitching.

Your definition of linear here is not the same as theirs. FFX-2's was non-linear when it came to what mission you wanted to do first. It did not really have non-linear exploration. You were revisiting the same linear environments from FFX. So FFX-2 wasn't very non-linear. In some ways it was, but mostly it wasn't.

FFXII's environments were non-linear because you could sneak your way into areas you were not meant to go to until later in the game. There was a sense of exploration and a few branching paths. It wasn't a perfect representation of non-linearity, but it is at least a good example of what they are 'bitching about' here. There were dungeons that involved turning left or right to go into other areas, where FFX had a bunch of walk-left-and-right-in-a-straight-line areas.

gregor7777 said:
Well, I see many posts that don't seem in favor of the battle system.

I don't see why since it is different from the usual turn-based style. I like it.

gantz85 said:
I'm not sure about NeoGAF's policy on copy pasting text from magazines, but I'm reading OPM now and here's the bullet points about the localization:

- All titles (not just FF XIII) are made with localization in mind now
- Localization staff consulted during development
- Previously serial completion: JP > US > EU (in that order)
- Now all three versions are moving simultaneously
- "We aim to release it within six months of the Japanese version."

So these geniuses took into mind a black character who can use guns, dance, and likes chicken enough to hide one in his fro as a-ok for American audiences? Why stop there. Did they forget the kool-aid and watermellons? *rolls eyes* And SE did such a fine job with Fran and Reddas... I guess it's back to Barret/Wakka style racist stupidity again. Thank you Nomura. You really can tell a fine story.

rataven

TheJollyCorner said:
are you guys that ordered with play-asia able to track your order?

It says mine shipped on the 15th, but I have no fucking tracking number. -_-

You should be able to track it right from your order on play-asia. Unless you went with a carrier that doesn't provide that info. I used UPS and FedEx and I could track both.

xs_mini_neo said:
So these geniuses took into mind a black character who can use guns, dance, and likes chicken enough to hide one in his fro as a-ok for American audiences? Why stop there. Did they forget the kool-aid and watermellons? *rolls eyes* And SE did such a fine job with Fran and Reddas... I guess it's back to Barret/Wakka style racist stupidity again. Thank you Nomura. You really can tell a fine story.

Aside from you completely overreacting to Sazh, what the hell does Nomura have to do with the story to XIII? The designers of the game tell him what type of character they want and he draws it. And that ends his involvement with XIII.

xs_mini_neo said:

are you fucking serious?

How can people be so goddamned thin-skinned sensitive?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
SolidSnakex said:
Aside from you completely overreacting to Sazh, what the hell does Nomura have to do with the story to XIII? The designers of the game tell them what type of character they want and he draws it. And that ends his involvement with XIII.

This.

SolidSnakex said:
Aside from you completely overreacting to Sazh, what the hell does Nomura have to do with the story to XIII? The designers of the game tell them what type of character they want and he draws it. And that ends his involvement with XIII.

I'm not raging here. I'm just saying. It looks bad. You know how RE5 did? Well not as bad as that, but the stereotypes get really old. Nomura designs most FF characters. You telling me he didn't design this one?

EDIT: I don't buy it. He worked on FFVII and FFX, which both contained stereotypical characters. They don't have someone who writes all the stories of every FF to blame it on.

StuBurns

Banned
Kagari said:
Indeed, Nomura didn't write the game, or come up with the characters. It's just the designs, which are fucking slick.

And there is nothing wrong with the character either. Having a chocobo in his hair is kind of cool, it's cute, the little kid likes it. It almost certainly has a deeper meaning, probably relating to his family.

I think some people act offended because they feel they should be or something. This is not racist.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
xs_mini_neo said:
I'm not raging here. I'm just saying. It looks bad. You know how RE5 did? Well not as bad as that, but the stereotypes get really old. Nomura designs most FF characters. You telling me he didn't design this one?

He designed it, but he didn't "create" the character, if that makes sense. He's not involved in any of that for XIII, just Versus XIII.

xs_mini_neo said:

I always say this to retarded fucking overly PC people.

What in the fuck is the matter with liking chicken, dancing, kool-aid, and watermelon!?!?!??!?!

On the other hand I think there is something wrong with YOU

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Nojima is behind the story. Partly the reason why I'm not looking forward to the inevitable downgrade from Matsuno.

I wonder if Alexander O will be doing the translation

Skilletor

I was at a picnic yesterday and danced with a white chick who was eating chicken. It seemed as if she liked both chicken and dancing. Later there was watermelon. There were no guns, though.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
BudokaiMR2 said:
I always say this to retarded fucking overly PC people.

What in the fuck is the matter with liking chicken, dancing, kool-aid, and watermelon!?!?!??!?!

On the other hand I think there is something wrong with YOU

They are all part of black stereotypes, if you didnt know

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Summons are the main story point of FFXIII, directly related to Cocoon somehow (see the logo). Maybe the Chocobo is a summon or something important. Animals seem to only come from the world below (forgot the name), maybe Sazh protects it.

And err, last I checked Osaka Whore also used guns.

xs_mini_neo said:

I just said he designed Sazh, but the designers tell him what type of character that they want. He has nothing to do with the story, that's Toriyama's area.

As far as how he looks and his background, so what? Very little is still known about the character and you've already drawn the conclusion that he's some giant stereotype. Yeah he has a afro, big deal. What type of hair would he need to have to not come off as being offensive to you?

Shadow780

APZonerunner said:
New cut of AC is a huge improvement. Amazed it isn't on a million illegal websites by now. Perhaps the demand isn't as insane as we thought. Not for the movie, at least.

The disc employed newest encryption so it's hard to crack, but it's out now.

Undubbed

I don't really see THAT much of problem with Sazch except I have a HUGE feeling he'll be the only black person in the entire game like they did with barret :/ I mean what happened? Even if his home town/family may of gotten destroyed and everyone killed it still makes no sense that only about 3 or 4 blacks exists in the entire world of FFVII. So other than that I can only guess that having dark skin and extremely curly balled up hair is an extremely rare recessive trait in the FF games.

xs_mini_neo said:
Your definition of linear here is not the same as theirs. FFX-2's was non-linear when it came to what mission you wanted to do first. It did not really have non-linear exploration. You were revisiting the same linear environments from FFX. So FFX-2 wasn't very non-linear. In some ways it was, but mostly it wasn't.

FFXII's environments were non-linear because you could sneak your way into areas you were not meant to go to until later in the game. There was a sense of exploration and a few branching paths. It wasn't a perfect representation of non-linearity, but it is at least a good example of what they are 'bitching about' here. There were dungeons that involved turning left or right to go into other areas, where FFX had a bunch of walk-left-and-right-in-a-straight-line areas.

I don't see why since it is different from the usual turn-based style. I like it.

Oh fuck here comes the bogus cries of racism. Man this is getting really annoying.

Top Bottom