• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Final Fantasy XIII TRIAL VERSION Thread

LiK

aw, i guess my impressions were ignored over another Sazh debate.

after playing the demo, he seems like the typical comic relief character we've seen in other similar games. nothing wrong with him, altho that chocobo in his 'fro is still kinda weird.

CrimsonDarkness said:
Oh fuck here comes the bogus cries of racism. Man this is getting really annoying.

i know, might as well have NO black characters at all so people will stop whining about it.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Undubbed said:
I don't really see THAT much of problem with Sazch except I have a HUGE feeling he'll be the only black person in the entire game like they did with barret :/ I mean what happened? Even if his home town/family may of gotten destroyed and everyone killed it still makes no sense that only about 3 or 4 blacks exists in the entire world of FFVII. So other than that I can only guess that having dark skin and extremely curly balled up hair is an extremely rare recessive trait in the FF games.

Thats my worry too. Also that he will just be comic relief

SolidSnakex said:
I just said he designed Sazh, but the designers tell him what type of character that they want. He has nothing to do with the story, that's Toriyama's area.

As far as how he looks, so what? Very little is still known about the character and you've already drawn the conclusion that he's some giant stereotype. Yeah he has a afro, big deal. What type of hair would he need to have to not come off as being offensive to you?

Well if it helps I just replayed FFVII and Barret's shit localization made me shudder. This is what my main gripe was here. If the localization experts are being consulted here, then SE would know that they are using some black stereotypes. Yet, I see the demo...and stereotypes waiting for a possibly shit english dub to take us back to the days of english Barret in 1997. If they didn't bring that up then I have no faith in getting a good localization here.

stuburns said:
Based on what?

Based on the similarities in his character designs since FFVII. Are you telling me he is asked to design the same type of characters over and over for over a decade?

LiK

jett said:
Why are people hating on Sazh? He looks pretty cool to me.

the same reason why some people hate Jansen for his design. people look at the cover and ignore the rest. stupid.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
xs_mini_neo said:
Well if it helps I just replayed FFVII and Barret's shit localization made me shudder. This is what my main gripe was here. If the localization experts are being consulted here, then SE would know that they are using some black stereotypes. Yet, I see the demo...and stereotypes waiting for a possibly shit english dub to take us back to the days of english Barret in 1997. If they didn't bring that up then I have no faith in getting a good localization here.

BEAR WEARING A MARSHMALLOW.

Shadow780

jett said:

jansen4.jpg

unless I'm wrong? :(

LiK

Shadow780 said:
http://www.8bitandbeyond.com/test/jansen4.jpg[/QUOTE]

one of the best voices in the game. so funny.

[QUOTE=Digital-Hero]I agree, Jansen was one of the best things about Lost Odyssey! :lol

"It has to be the queen! They're playing a harp. No dude plays a harp" :lol[/QUOTE]

*high 5*

StuBurns

Banned
xs_mini_neo said:
Based on the similarities in his character designs since FFVII. Are you telling me he is asked to design the same type of characters over and over for over a decade?
It's his design, it's not his character. They say "Nomura, we've got this black guy who has a chocobo in his hair, draw him for me?". That's it.

Any racism attributed to the character beyond their visual appearance has nothing to do with Nomura.

xs_mini_neo said:

Or maybe they just have enough faith that most people won't be so narrow minded as to think that he's a giant stereotype of a character. If they went and picked through everything might offend the hyper sensitive then the game would never come out.

LiK

Skilletor said:
Lost Odyssey had horrible character design all around. Jansen is just one unfortunate casualty in the game.

indeed, everything was excellent except for the weird costume designs.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Digital-Hero said:
He used to look cool with Normura's original designs, now he is a typical character of SQUARE EMOX. Quite sad really.

Huh? I'm pretty sure Nomura did the updated designs...

Kagari said:
Huh? I'm pretty sure Nomura did the updated designs...

Yup, and that was disappointing. IMHO. Cloud is just another dreary EMO dude. Tidus wasa nice break of fresh air in design in comparison to the updated Cloud and Squall.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Skilletor said:
Lost Odyssey had horrible character design all around. Jansen is just one unfortunate casualty in the game.

So true.

Shadow780 said:
Busty queen dressed in fetish outfits? I'd say it's awesome!

Ming.jpg

WTH!!!! Her outfit and dead eyes. Who the hell designed the characters in LO?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Digital-Hero said:
Yup, and that was disappointing. IMHO. Cloud is just another dreary EMO dude. Tidus wasa nice break of fresh air in design in comparison to Cloud and Squall.

Noooo.

Undubbed

Is there something I'm not understanding or is Sazzu's guns doing absolute crap damage compared to Lightning's sword swings? Does he specialize in magic maybe?

Shadow780

Digital-Hero said:
Yup, and that was disappointing. IMHO. Cloud is just another dreary EMO dude. Tidus wasa nice break of fresh air in design in comparison to the updated Cloud and Squall.

I hate Tidus, the fucker should never came back.

HK-47 said:
And a loser. He was a huge loser for most of the game

And a poser. First Sephiroth then Zack.

SolidSnakex said:
Or maybe they just have enough faith that most people won't be so narrow minded as to think that he's a giant stereotype of a character. If they went and picked through everything might offend the hyper sensitive then the game would never come out.

Well I did say I am not in a rage over it. I just found it annoying and an indication that FFXIII will be another FFVII/VIII/X style lamefest.

neojubei

LiK said:
better not pile on or i will out you!!!!

btw, i noticed that a lot of the NPC costumes in the FFXIII demo look similar to characters from FFX.

Yea that much is true. Especially in the Snow part of the demo.

neojubei

Shadow780 said:
I hate Tidus, the fucker should never came back.

LOL oh man. I still do not know what the heck he was wearing, shorts that are also pants? And he looks like Meg Ryan.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Undubbed said:
Is there something I'm not understanding or is Sazzu's guns doing absolute crap damage compared to Lightning's sword swings? Does he specialize in magic maybe?

They are trying to balance it out since he does a three burst double shot.

Yeah it retarded but so was flamehead crouching like a beast and osaka whore toting her gun over her shoulder. At least in this case it was equalizing the weapons for balance purposes.

neojubei said:
LOL oh man. I still do not know what the heck he was wearing, shorts that are also pants? And he looks like Meg Ryan.

:lol

He is just a blond Squall head though.

EDIT: minus facial cut as well.

Top Bottom