• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Final Fantasy XIII TRIAL VERSION Thread

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
neojubei said:
DSC05578.jpg

Don't make Sazh angry. I take such bad shots with my camera, sigh. I love Sazh's design and Lightning's but I hate Snow's design. Damn homeless person.

Damn that looks so damn fucking nice.

LiK

Shadow780 said:
The worst thing when you're on the field is definitely the camera angle, I think it's too close when you're idle.

it's a little weird when you're running inbetween tighter spots too. kinda gets in the way. maybe they'll fix it

HK-47 said:
You mean he is a monk. Please dont jinx Snow by comparing him to Zell

yea, more like Tifa's style

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I like the close up camera. Man I'll spend the whole game just looking around.

But seriously, I want to see the game for myself, the lighting on the characters looks "special", like they're doing something I've never seen any other game do, and I'm wondering what it is. The shading and the lighting looks really unique on a technical level, but it can't be that "unique".

Are there no direct feed screens from the demo, like a lot?

neojubei said:

Don't make Sazh angry. I take such bad shots with my camera, sigh. I love Sazh's design and Lightning's but I hate Snow's design. Damn homeless person.

Snow's the one with the blonde whiskers, right? lol Why is his name snow? Is it because he's white? lol So Lightning is named that because she flies around with lightning... Is Sazh japanese for black?! j/k I see that apparently this guy is modeled after LIONEL RICHIE. Says Kitase. lol So he will have the most lines in the game and will be different from every other character in the series...

Sazh is a singer, confirmed.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
LiK said:
yea, more like Tifa's style

Again, are you trying to jinx Snow? Looks like monks dont have a good track record though, as we have now mention Zell and Tifa, who were the worst characters in their respective games.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
xs_mini_neo said:
Snow's the one with the blonde whiskers, right? lol Why is his name snow? Is it because he's white? lol So Lightning is named that because she flies around with lightning... Is Sazh japanese for black?! j/k I see that apparently this guy is modeled after LIONEL RICHIE. Says Kitase. lol So he will have the most lines in the game and will be different from every other character in the series...

Sazh is a singer, confirmed.

I think you're trying too hard :lol

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I like Snow's design.

BTW it looks to me like the shadow maps are REALLY high res, that's why the shadows look so good on the characters.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
So gusss we are just gonna stare at the pretty pictures again instead of continuing the interesting discussion we had on the last page?

LET'S COMPLAIN ABOUT EVERYTHING!

WHY ISN'T THIS GAME OUT YET?!
WHY AREN'T THEY WORKING ON FINAL FANTASY XIV?!
WHY IS LIGHTNING'S HAIR PINK?! THAT SHIT ISN'T REALISTIC AT ALL!
LOST ODYSSEY IS A VIDEO GAME?! FUCK THIS!

mad.gif

mad.gif

mad.gif

mad.gif

mad.gif

mad.gif

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Ether_Snake said:
I like Snow's design.

BTW it looks to me like the shadow maps are REALLY high res, that's why the shadows look so good on the characters.

That's good. I think one of my biggest nitpicks is how shadowing has been handled in a lot of games this generation. Even MGS4 had really bad shadows in parts... which disappointed me.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Why are the psy-ops different now? Did they change the design for good or what? I liked the former one. Or is it just the train scene that is different?

Kagari said:
That's good. I think one of my biggest nitpicks is how shadowing has been handled in a lot of games this generation. Even MGS4 had really bad shadows in parts... which disappointed me.

But it's really the first time I see this, and I wonder how they can do it. It's not just a question of high res shadow maps, there is something particular about the shadows, they look so precise, like it's raytraced. That's why I want up-close direct-feed shots:|

HK-47 said:
So gusss we are just gonna stare at the pretty pictures again instead of continuing the interesting discussion we had on the last page?

Well if Sazh is the next Lionel Richie, then progress has finally arrived.

Maybe Lightning is his groupie? Speaking of her...did anyone else notice that HER FACE NO LONGER LOOKS LIKE A TRANNY VERSION OF CLOUD IN AC??? I find that promising. It means they are LISTENING.

U K Narayan said:

mad.gif

mad.gif

mad.gif

mad.gif

mad.gif

mad.gif

It's a dirty job...

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Ether_Snake said:
Why are the psy-ops different now? Did they change the design for good or what? I liked the former one. Or is it just the train scene that is different?

But it's really the first time I see this, and I wonder how they can do it. It's not just a question of high res shadow maps, there is something particular about the shadows, they look so precise, like it's raytraced. That's why I want up-close direct-feed shots:|

Crystal Tools is just that awesome?

ilikeme

So I played some FFXII today and I really like the character designs. What happened to Akihiko Yoshida? Is he still at Squenix?

AND WHEN WILL THEY START TALKING ABOUT FFXIV =(

I'm so hyped for some news on the new Final Fantasy :/ What other scriptwriters/storycreators do they have but Nojima now that the Gooch and Matsuno are gone?

Barakov

U K Narayan said:

mad.gif

mad.gif

mad.gif

mad.gif

mad.gif

mad.gif

RAGE!

Schrade

Y2Kev said:
The chocobo in Sazh's hair is so cute in the demo. When I saw it it was like BURREEEE and I was like SQUEEE

edit: OMG THEY ACTUALLY ARE VEINY

EW EW EW
Curious, have you ever seen a woman naked before? Most women will have veins showing in their boobs no matter what size or age. It usually depends on the translucency of their skin though.

inner-G

Banned
Awesome, awesome demo.

The intro video when you put in the demo really gets you in the mood for it, and it doesn't disappoint after that. I like the characters so far, and that can really make or break a game for me. I like that they didn't go with the generic 'tough guy' for the black dude. Snow is cool, bare-knucklin' it is always fun.

I'm really interested to see how the character customization works and what kind of sphere grid/materia/license board system they come up with.

I like the battle system, though I hope that there's a 'wait' mode or something in the retail release. I found myself not even looking at my HP, because my support character just automatically healed me most of the time. Battles move a nice pave though, rarely exceeding 1:00 (except for bosses, duh)

The levels, corridor-ish as they may be in the demo look amazing, and the atmosphere is striking. The lighting, backgrounds, transitions into battle, special effects, etc. are jaw-dropping. It's amazing that it's not even the final build of the engine. Hopefully any hitches will be ironed out and a HDD install (should) help some of the loading times, but I thought they were pretty minimal, even running off the BD-ROM.

The presentation values are unrivaled imo. The combination of graphics and sound in the demo blows away every HD game I can think of. Maybe it just appeals to my tastes more than a Gears or whatever does, but it's phenomenal. I just had some friends over and they were asking me how I got a hold of it. They were really excited when I told them it was coming out on both systems too. I hope this game can help expand the JRPG market in the West and prove that more classic-style gameplay is still viable.

The music is just amazing though, and the Vs. trailer's is just as good. Speaking of which Vs. looks badass too, a strange style of game I think, but I'm very interested.

ACC is great too, THe FF retrospectives and whatnot are nice, haven;t checket out the Denzel anime yet though. overall totally worth my $80 :D

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
inner-G said:
Awesome, awesome demo.

The intro video when you put in the demo really gets you in the mood for it, and it doesn't disappoint after that. I like the characters so far, and that can really make or break a game for me. I like that they didn't go with the generic 'tough guy' for the black dude. Snow is cool, bare-knucklin' it is always fun.

I'm really interested to see how the character customization works and what kind of sphere grid/materia/license board system they come up with.

I like the battle system, though I hope that there's a 'wait' mode or something in the retail release. I found myself not even looking at my HP, because my support character just automatically healed me most of the time. Battles move a nice pave though, rarely exceeding 1:00 (except for bosses, duh)

The levels, corridor-ish as they may be in the demo look amazing, and the atmosphere is striking. The lighting, backgrounds, transitions into battle, special effects, etc. are jaw-dropping. It's amazing that it's not even the final build of the engine. Hopefully any hitches will be ironed out and a HDD install (should) help some of the loading times, but I thought they were pretty minimal, even running off the BD-ROM.

The presentation values are unrivaled imo. The combination of graphics and sound in the demo blows away every HD game I can think of. Maybe it just appeals to my tastes more than a Gears or whatever does, but it's phenomenal. I just had some friends over and they were asking me how I got a hold of it. They were really excited when I told them it was coming out on both systems too. I hope this game can help expand the JRPG market in the West and prove that more classic-style gameplay is still viable.

The music is just amazing though, and the Vs. trailer's is just as good. Speaking of which Vs. looks badass too, a strange style of game I think, but I'm very interested.

ACC is great too, THe FF retrospectives and whatnot are nice, haven;t checket out the Denzel anime yet though. overall totally worth my $80 :D

To be fair, comic relief black guy is about as cliche as tough, angry black guy

ilikeme said:
So I played some FFXII today and I really like the character designs. What happened to Akihiko Yoshida? Is he still at Squenix?

AND WHEN WILL THEY START TALKING ABOUT FFXIV =(

I'm so hyped for some news on the new Final Fantasy :/ What other scriptwriters/storycreators do they have but Nojima now that the Gooch and Matsuno are gone?
I want to know this to

rataven

You guys, what happened to impressions?? :lol Just finished the demo. So here's mine:

- The camera tried it's hardest to give me an epic headache. It mostly worked. Zooming in and whipping out. Felt like it was all over. The camera controls are ok, but I hope they can smooth the panning.

- Combat is fun, at first. Launches are cool, but I don't see how they do anything significant, other than look fancy. By the end of the demo, I was doing the dreaded FF attack button smash. But it might be because of that headache :lol

- Magic isn't overly damaging, but it's fun to chain it in attacks. The -aga level spells do decent damage and the spell animations are nice. I still think Lightning should be able to cast lightning first! And I never had to cast Cure. Seemed Team Nora and Sazh took care of that so it wasn't a concern.

- All the main characters seem very well developed and likable. SE has some magic talent when it comes to character development. I love Lightning. It's nice to have a female lead who isn't a damsel in distress or chasing after some quite curmudgeon.

- Miss the battle fanfare, but I know it's omitted for the demo.

- Baby chocobo is CUTE!

- It really does feel like X in controls and combat, with the exception of the ATB. I didn't feel like the speed of XIII was all that fast. It seems like it is, but there's not any real danger. I never died or took any major hits, despite not knowing what I was doing in the beginning. I thought X-2 was much more frantic and deadly if you weren't paying attention.

- Snow is a powerhouse. He was hitting in the 400 to 500s. Lightning never got near that. And he didn't seem to have any downfalls. His speed and range seem normal. He's fun.

- Graphics and music are top-notch. But I didn't really expect less.

And I'm reposting my ACC impressions to go with this.

- Loved the movie! Truly is an improvement on the original in every way (except for my next point)
- Vincent's shoes are still stupid.
- Cloud's bond with Denzel and Marlene is sweet.
- Geostigma is disgusting. The vomit dude looked like something out of Resident Evil.
- I lol'ed at Loz. "Bang! Bang, bang, BANG!"
- Cloud seems to have his badassery back. He enters the fight before Bahamut actually fighting the other monsters and rescuing Tifa, not just moseying up on his bike.
- Cloud is really, really,
really
hot
- The motorcycle through the helicopter!
- They should have included another summon. Leviathan would have been fitting.
- Interesting ode to the early part of FFVII with
Avalanche being somewhat responsible for killing Denzel's family
- Holy crap at the Seph/Cloud fight! Poor Cloud :(
- And Cloud started an old-school Omnislash!
Till Seph stabbed him in the chest

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
inner-G said:
Yeah, they should've really broke the mold and went with emo black guy.

Hmm well we do have Dwayne from GTA IV covering the angle but it definitely isnt played out. So that would have been something, right?

Schrade said:
Curious, have you ever seen a woman naked before? Most women will have veins showing in their boobs no matter what size or age. It usually depends on the translucency of their skin though.

Translucent tits.

This thread is now complete.

Awntawn

Shadow780 said:
Do black singers like to do this?

http://i44.tinypic.com/wurlhs.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://i42.tinypic.com/b5fjna.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://i39.tinypic.com/qx02zo.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://i41.tinypic.com/fdulg7.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://i39.tinypic.com/8w01tv.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]
Sexual harassment 3;

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Why are the psy-ops different in the game? They aren't white and yellow anymore. Or is it just the train sequence?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
timetokill said:
Great so now they added a "where all the white women at" aspect to Sazh's character....

I believe he was just trying to keep Lightning from jumping the bridge gap, correct?

joesmokey

Do we have a translation available for the Versus trailer (it's pretty old by now right)?

The trailer looks pretty impressive on Blu-Ray, but for some reason the lighting is a bit distracting to me. Noctis' shadowing is pretty good, but Stella just seems like she's permanently illuminated, I dunno.

Btw Kagari, as FF13-Net pointed out, S-E has new wallpapers on the Japanese site that you could link to in the OP:

A_1920x1200.jpg

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/fabula/ff13/wp/A_1920x1080.jpg
http://www.square-enix.co.jp/fabula/ff13/wp/A_1280x1024.jpg
http://www.square-enix.co.jp/fabula/ff13/wp/A_1280x800.jpg
http://www.square-enix.co.jp/fabula/ff13/wp/A_1280x720.jpg

B_1920x1200.jpg

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/fabula/ff13/wp/B_1920x1080.jpg
http://www.square-enix.co.jp/fabula/ff13/wp/B_1280x1024.jpg
http://www.square-enix.co.jp/fabula/ff13/wp/B_1280x800.jpg
http://www.square-enix.co.jp/fabula/ff13/wp/B_1280x720.jpg

HK-47 said:
To be fair, comic relief black guy is about as cliche as tough, angry black guy

I actually do think this is an interesting discussion. Sazh is really cringe-worthy to me. As soon as I saw the chocobo in his afro I had to shake my head.

I was only half-joking when I said they should use Chris Tucker to do his VA. His character comes across that way completely, a little wired and not exactly smooth. He's playing Tucker's character to Lightning's pissed-off version of Jackie Chan. The "atatatatata" sound or whatever it is that he's making when he's falling would be so easily translated to a "whoa-whoa-whoa!" sound from Tucker. And Tucker has sort of become the embodiment of the comic relief black guy.

I just wonder if they'll bother to give the guy a real love interest this time. We don't really see black characters with living love interests in JRPGs.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
timetokill said:
I actually do think this is an interesting discussion. Sazh is really cringe-worthy to me. As soon as I saw the chocobo in his afro I had to shake my head.

I was only half-joking when I said they should use Chris Tucker to do his VA. His character comes across that way completely, a little wired and not exactly smooth. He's playing Tucker's character to Lightning's pissed-off version of Jackie Chan. The "atatatatata" sound or whatever it is that he's making when he's falling would be so easily translated to a "whoa-whoa-whoa!" sound from Tucker. And Tucker has sort of become the embodiment of the comic relief black guy.

I just wonder if they'll bother to give the guy a real love interest this time. We don't really see black characters with living love interests in JRPGs.

We dont really see black people period in JRPGs

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Why does she only have half a cape and one shoulder pad? Didnt she see The Incredibles? Capes = death!

inner-G

Banned
I didn't think he came off that bad. I thought that him having the chocobo chick showed a softer, more personal side of him, instead of just seeing it as total ridiculousness, but, I understand why people would see it that way.

Top Bottom