• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Final Fantasy XIII TRIAL VERSION Thread

HK-47 said:
We dont really see black people period in JRPGs

Well obviously, but in the rare cases we do they're pretty much pushed to the background. Barret stood out partly because he was actually a party member.

Of course we also have the "beastmen" characters that clearly draw from a sort of african/tribal feel which has its own demeaning character to it.

And then on the far end we have "Afrocans" in Ys Online :lol

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
joesmokey said:
Do we have a translation available for the Versus trailer (it's pretty old by now right)?

The trailer looks pretty impressive on Blu-Ray, but for some reason the lighting is a bit distracting to me. Noctis' shadowing is pretty good, but Stella just seems like she's permanently illuminated, I dunno.

Btw Kagari, as FF13-Net pointed out, S-E has new wallpapers on the Japanese site that you could link to in the OP:

Yeah, those were mentioned in the FNC thread ;D
I want a Versus one, really.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
well for what its worth, i find the chocobo in sazh's hair cute.

and this specific character trait could only have been done with a nice fluffy afro

-COOLIO- said:
well for what its worth, i find the chocobo in sazh's hair cute.

ava2.jpg

rataven

Rpgmonkey said:
It took a shorter amount of time than I thought for this thread to trail off.

Guess less people bought this than I thought...
I think a lot of people might still be waiting for their orders. So hopefully the thread'll get back on track.

ilikeme

This is what Kitase said about Sazh Katzroy in OPMs feature:
"He's the comic relief character." "And in certain points you also see he's very caring about his family."

Made me think of Pedro.
Sorry

edit: And nobody heard anything about Yoshida? Last he did designs were the kids in the FFIII remake.. And they were awesome.

Synless

Rpgmonkey said:
It took a shorter amount of time than I thought for this thread to trail off.

Guess less people bought this than I thought...
No, I won't have mine until Monday even though UPS says it's in Wyoming (a city that's just 40 minutes away) and I have 2day shipping....sigh**

Spoo

rataven said:
I think a lot of people might still be waiting for their orders. So hopefully the thread'll get back on track.

This. A lot of people, myself included, ordered from Play-asia -- and they're clearly been backed up as fuck on their pre-orders. Mine'll arrive on the 20th (keep in mind, I went with fedex which is ~ $20, and I ordered on the 1st; I assume a lot of people waited past that to place their orders)

FUCK UPS was here at my apartment yesterday with my FF13 demo!! but they couldnt get in to the door due to a passcode!

now they called me telling me it will be delivered on monday morning!!!

FUCK could have been playing the demo all weekend :(

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
rataven said:
- Graphics and music are top-notch. But I didn't really expect less.

And I'm reposting my ACC impressions to go with this.

- Loved the movie! Truly is an improvement on the original in every way (except for my next point)
- Vincent's shoes are still stupid.
- Cloud's bond with Denzel and Marlene is sweet.
- Geostigma is disgusting. The vomit dude looked like something out of Resident Evil.
- I lol'ed at Loz. "Bang! Bang, bang, BANG!"
- Cloud seems to have his badassery back. He enters the fight before Bahamut actually fighting the other monsters and rescuing Tifa, not just moseying up on his bike.
- Cloud is really, really,
really
hot
- The motorcycle through the helicopter!
- Interesting ode to the early part of FFVII with
Avalanche being somewhat responsible for killing Denzel's family
- And Cloud started an old-school Omnislash!
Till Seph stabbed him in the chest

I AGREE WITH ALL OF THIS.

I'm glad they did old-school Omni, loves that whole scene, you can really see the detail in it. My only complaint really was that you can really seee the difference in scene quality at times, but over I enjoyed the movie. The added scenes add a lil extra to the overall movie which i also thought was nice.

OH!

I also love the part when Marlena is talking like Barret to Cloud lol.

Shadow780 said:
Do black singers like to do this?

wurlhs.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/b5fjna.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://i39.tinypic.com/qx02zo.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://i41.tinypic.com/fdulg7.jpg[/IM]

[IMG]http://i39.tinypic.com/8w01tv.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c84/mini7neo/allnitelongf.jpg

Coincidence?

rataven

g35twinturbo said:
I AGREE WITH ALL OF THIS.

I'm glad they did old-school Omni, loves that whole scene, you can really see the detail in it. My only complaint really was that you can really seee the difference in scene quality at times, but over I enjoyed the movie. The added scenes add a lil extra to the overall movie which i also thought was nice.

OH!

I also love the part when Marlena is talking like Barret to Cloud lol.
Honestly, just seeing the original omnislash made it all worth the price! It felt like such an accomplishment to earn it in the original game, and the animation was pretty awesome even then, so it always bugged me they left it out of AC. But adding it in to ACC and then having Seph mess it all up EPICALLY was just too good :D

That scene with Marlene was cute. The kids surprisingly didn't bother me at all. Denzel's story is really quite sad and I ended up feeling for him.

And every single second with a Turk in it was just pure awesome.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
:lol

The boss theme is really up and down and sometimes chaotic with that rogue piano, but it does have a great ending

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
rataven said:
Honestly, just seeing the original omnislash made it all worth the price! It felt like such an accomplishment to earn it in the original game, and the animation was pretty awesome even then, so it always bugged me they left it out of AC. But adding it in to ACC and then having Seph mess it all up EPICALLY was just too good :D

That scene with Marlene was cute. The kids surprisingly didn't bother me at all. Denzel's story is really quite sad and I ended up feeling for him.

And every single second with a Turk in it was just pure awesome.

Yeah, I enjoyed the kid scenes more than the original for some reason.

but yeah seph was doing some awesome shit lol.

turks is hilariously awesome as usual.

mr_nothin

Banned
robertsan21 said:
FUCK UPS was here at my apartment yesterday with my FF13 demo!! but they couldnt get in to the door due to a passcode!

now they called me telling me it will be delivered on monday morning!!!

FUCK could have been playing the demo all weekend :(
Ask to do a pickup.

zoukka

Just saw the Versus trailer. Pretty mindblowing visuals there.

But the setting and the acting.......................................................................................

I cried

zoukka said:
Just saw the Versus trailer. Pretty mindblowing visuals there.

But the setting and the acting.......................................................................................

I cried

to be fair some aspects are FAR more obvious sans voice acting...have you watched any films with sound turned off...often makes the experience much less convincing...Personally, I want to see the same scene with voice acting

zoukka

nelsonroyale said:
to be fair some aspects are FAR more obvious sans voice acting...have you watched any films with sound turned off...often makes the experience much less convincing...Personally, I want to see the same scene with voice acting

I fear it's the other way around really. But the stories here do not cater to my kind of people. I mean the cloud-clones are bad enough already, but they look even worse in tuxes.

I fear that if the story is not mature enough, the setting itself will create a nasty contrast there.

Mine shipped yesterday ;D

Got a nasty feeling this demo will be up on the JPN marketplace by next month.

Any PAL gamers who can confirm whether the movie actually plays on a PAL machine? Gawd I hope so.

Spoo

nelsonroyale said:

Am I crazy for not only being indifferent to the fact that there was no voice acting in the scene, but perhaps, in some strange/retro way, prefering it?

It sort of brought me back to the day when we actually read dialogue instead of having it dictated out to us. Really, getting VA into RPGs, while necessary these days I suppose, is one of those production elements that really drives up cost -- considering the amount of VA you need, and sheer line count.

In the end, I'm obviously fine with VA in RPGs (or any game these days). It just really surprised me that, in watching the scene, it didn't feel alien to me just reading the subtitles and not actually hearing anything. Really a throwback.

Mik2121

I just went to a Tsutaya near my house and purchased the trial! :p Plus I always wanted FFAC on Blu-Ray, so yay!!

What I don't like at all is the box it comes in, seriously, it's not even the size of a blu-ray case! :( So I'm using the Saints Row 2 box to put the demo :D (I will create a custom boxart for it later, and print it out at school in a high quality printer with high quality paper.. thanks god I can use it for free there, lol)

StuBurns

Banned
DieH@rd said:
Oh snap, this footage has a "FF13VersusDK3713" trailer after this new one? Is that DK3713 trailer also on trial bluray? I would kill for HD version of that epic trailer.
No, they just put the last trailer after the translation.

Durante

Ether_Snake said:
But it's really the first time I see this, and I wonder how they can do it. It's not just a question of high res shadow maps, there is something particular about the shadows, they look so precise, like it's raytraced. That's why I want up-close direct-feed shots:|
They are probably using parallel-split (cascaded) shadow maps. IIRC Uncharted did that as well, and it has the best shadowing I've seen on PS3. It's really awesome to see a JRPG that compares favourably to western high-end games in terms of image quality and rendering technology. I really hope they don't have to scale bac kthe amazing IQ to fix the framerate.

Mik2121

Uhmmm halfway through the demo, not liking it much. I guess I won't be buying this game, though not because it's bad, but because it's probably not my game, unless the real thing changes a lot of things. Of course, one of the big things that pull me off is the lack of menu, but I guess that's because it's a trial version yet.

But yeah, as of right now it's been just running through 'hallways' and killing the same two kind of enemies (the soldiers and the metallic dogs, and that kind of flying soldier too actually) and right now I'm with some kind of
mini-boss
after making my way to some kind of
transport to get through after the bridge breaking

Voices are nice (except the black guy sounds a bit unnatural sometimes, but even then it's good) and visuals are alright most of the times, with some good details sometimes. The pre-rendered scenes are amazing though, but I expected the in-game visuals a bit better, seeing how we can't interact with many of the things and it's all just there sitting. But then again, I guess this will change through the game and probably this area is one of the most boring ones.

edit - I just made my way to the
Hanged Edge
. Moar bridges, yay! :( I wonder if the trial includes something else?
I think with enough depth to the game and lots of things to do, I might enjoy it actually...
The world is more 'tech' than I expected, even though it's not as much as FFVersusXIII, which I'm more interested into, than this one.

edit 2 - Also, lol @ everybody around the
Hanged Edge
. They all say stuff like 'I don't wanna die!', 'there's nothing else but dying', etc.. ;/

ruxtpin

Banned
Hi guys-

Is the Advent Children Complete Blu-Ray being released in the states eventually? Or has there been no information released yet?

Top Bottom