• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Final Fantasy XIII TRIAL VERSION Thread

Here's the translation of the Italian phrases in the Versus trailer, thanks to KrissDevil on ff-xiii.net:

hi all....i write this to clear your italian flashes during the video..
1° Il Cammino per i cieli = The Path for the heaven(cieli means also sky but also heaven)
2° La morte e la dea = The Death and the Goddess
3° La stella incontrata di notte = The Star met in the night
4° Le memorie di morte = memories of death
thats the literally translation( i hope i dont spam it cuz i dont had read the other pages in this topic)
maybe i missed smethng but that's all i found in the trailer i saw

http://www.ff-xiii.net/boards/showthread.php?t=7886&page=3

Teknoman

Mik2121 said:
Uhmmm halfway through the demo, not liking it much. I guess I won't be buying this game, though not because it's bad, but because it's probably not my game, unless the real thing changes a lot of things. Of course, one of the big things that pull me off is the lack of menu, but I guess that's because it's a trial version yet.

But yeah, as of right now it's been just running through 'hallways' and killing the same two kind of enemies (the soldiers and the metallic dogs, and that kind of flying soldier too actually) and right now I'm with some kind of
mini-boss
after making my way to some kind of
transport to get through after the bridge breaking

Voices are nice (except the black guy sounds a bit unnatural sometimes, but even then it's good) and visuals are alright most of the times, with some good details sometimes. The pre-rendered scenes are amazing though, but I expected the in-game visuals a bit better, seeing how we can't interact with many of the things and it's all just there sitting. But then again, I guess this will change through the game and probably this area is one of the most boring ones.

edit - I just made my way to the
Hanged Edge
. Moar bridges, yay! :( I wonder if the trial includes something else?
I think with enough depth to the game and lots of things to do, I might enjoy it actually...
The world is more 'tech' than I expected, even though it's not as much as FFVersusXIII, which I'm more interested into, than this one.

edit 2 - Also, lol @ everybody around the
Hanged Edge
. They all say stuff like 'I don't wanna die!', 'there's nothing else but dying', etc.. ;/

As long as you like the battle system, character/monster design, and music. Thats really all an RPG demo is for. Storyline and environment diversity usually arent high points in most RPG demos.

Mik2121

Well, the fight system seems alright. Of course, right now I only have 4 things to choose from (simple attack, throw enemy upwards, fire attack and heavy fire attack) and you can't use items nor anything else in the beta, so I can't tell much.

The enemy design is alright, though the first boss you battle is quite.. uninspired and ugly. Other than that, some designs are nice, and while I didn't really care much about the music, it didn't become annoying, which is quite a feat. (seeing how I usually get tired of lots of RPG background music tracks). So yeah.. I'll wait for the release and see some videos and read about what you can and can't do in the game.

Hobbun said:
Awesome, thanks.

Anyone know what l'Cie is supposed to be?

L'Cie are given a 'Focus' by the Fal'Cie (a mission of sorts), they are destined 'for a greater purpose'
Lightning is an L'Cie, as well as Vanille etc Lightning's 'Focus' is 'to bring about the downfall of the world'
I don't think any of them know they are L'Cie at the beginning (maybe Lightning does)

Teknoman

After downloading the ripped tracks, the normal battle theme is great, but what they labeled as the boss theme just seems ok. I mean its a great track, but it doesn't really seem as memorable as say...something from the classics, or even FFXII (I know some people say the music from XII isnt memorable, but at least I can hum it :lol)

Then again, that might not be the real standard boss music.

Someone else needs to rip these tracks to make them loop at least once.

Shadow780

jett said:
If Nomura doesn't handle this right this could turn out to be the most ridiculously pretentious shit since MGS2. :p

8wb5kz.jpg

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
BlazingDarkness said:
L'Cie are given a 'Focus' by the Fal'Cie (a mission of sorts), they are destined 'for a greater purpose'
Lightning is an L'Cie, as well as Vanille etc Lightning's 'Focus' is 'to bring about the downfall of the world'
I don't think any of them know they are L'Cie at the beginning (maybe Lightning does)

That's why, also with Lightning attitude, I think that she will turn out to be the antagonist at least for some time in the game.

rataven

Ether_Snake said:
That's why, also with Lightning attitude, I think that she will turn out to be the antagonist at least for some time in the game.
That could be. I also have suspicions about that Heather Locklear look-alike Mother lady that goes careening over the edge at the end of the demo. She's not dead, I tell you!

BlazingDarkness said:

What the....

English, please. :lol

joesmokey

rataven said:
That could be. I also have suspicions about that Heather Locklear look-alike Mother lady that goes careening over the edge at the end of the demo. She's not dead, I tell you!
Yes someone else thinks she looks like Heather Locklear too! :lol

Does anyone have the track from the Versus trailer yet? Even if it has the footsteps in it, it will suffice.

careksims

joesmokey said:
Yes someone else thinks she looks like Heather Locklear too! :lol

Does anyone have the track from the Versus trailer yet? Even if it has the footsteps in it, it will suffice.

Haha~! I kept looking at her and wonder where I seen her before! I couldn't help but see they gave her cleavage too.

rataven

I noticed they redubbed a few scenes in ACC with different dialogue to fit the mouth movements. The English synch is pretty good. They did a nice job on it.

ArtOfLife

Neo Member
Can't wait for this to finally make it over here (even a demo). I'll be reading your opinions in the meantime. Good thing it's a long thread :)

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Ether_Snake said:
It's not just a question of high res shadow maps, there is something particular about the shadows, they look so precise, like it's raytraced.
In gamersyde videos, you can see shadow-aliasing on facial self-shadows in a few scenes - and also how shadow-map LOD changes at least once on enemies. It's shadowmaps - but they do a nice job with texel-distribution (and it helps shadows aren't global, so you get more effective-resolution to play with).

You can see they really put a lot of attention on IQ though - not just shadows, aliasing is minimal all over - even more amazing since it's a Japanese developed title :)

I thought the glasses guy looked pretty cool :lol

It's that Sephiroth clone in the white robe I'm worried about. Especially after watching ACC.

Wollan

Shadow780 said:

My buddy, not familiar with Final Fantasy decided that this was a man after two minutes back and forth. Someone draw a graph.
edit: He also now said 'usually such amine...the girls have very big eyes'

SOLDIER

For those who own AC:C, I have two questions.

1. For the dub, do Aerith and Yuffie get new lines, and if so, who's playing them? The first movie used Mena Suvari and Cristie Romano, but considering that both girls got a different VA for Kingdom Hearts II and Crisis Core, I'm wondering if they've been redubbed for this movie.

2. Is the Denzel anime dubbed as well?

rataven

SOLDIER said:
For those who own AC:C, I have two questions.

1. For the dub, do Aerith and Yuffie get new lines, and if so, who's playing them? The first movie used Mena Suvari and Cristie Romano, but considering that both girls got a different VA for Kingdom Hearts II and Crisis Core, I'm wondering if they've been redubbed for this movie.

2. Is the Denzel anime dubbed as well?
No new lines for either Aerith or Yuffie, at least that I noticed. There weren't any new scenes with the original FFVII supporting cast, outside of the Turks. And no luck on the redubs either. Mena Suvari is still around to torture.

And I'm pretty sure the Denzel anime isn't dubbed.

rataven said:
No new lines for either Aerith or Yuffie, at least that I noticed. There weren't any new scenes with the original FFVII supporting cast, outside of the Turks. And no luck on the redubs either. Mena Suvari is still around to torture.

And I'm pretty sure the Denzel anime isn't dubbed.

there are new scenes with all of the original FFVII cast IIRC, the fight with the giant thing summoned by Kadaj has extra bits with all of the characters

Denzel anime isnt dubbed, but it's worth watching

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Wollan said:
My buddy, not familiar with Final Fantasy decided that this was a man after two minutes back and forth. Someone draw a graph.
edit: He also now said 'usually such amine...the girls have very big eyes'

:lol

rataven

BlazingDarkness said:
there are new scenes with all of the original FFVII cast IIRC, the fight with the giant thing summoned by Kadaj has extra bits with all of the characters

Denzel anime isnt dubbed, but it's worth watching
I think they just tweaked that scene. Cloud's entrance is totally different, but Cid just drops in instead of fighting. Tifa does have a whole new fight scene though. Ok, so maybe there is more. :lol I'm gonna rewatch it here in a few.

I did notice Bahamut looks pretty beat up by the time Cloud takes him out. The added battle injuries and blood is actually a pretty nice, mature touch.

rataven said:
I think they just tweaked that scene. Cloud's entrance is totally different, but Cid just drops in instead of fighting. Tifa does have a whole new fight scene though. Ok, so maybe there is more :lol I'm gonna rewatch it here in a few.
i distinctly remember extra bits with Barret and Cait Sith off the top of my head

rataven

DancingCactus77 said:
No english subs? Will I understand the story? How is the dub version? Pure cheese?
It's easy enough to understand. ACC does a nice job of adding dialogue to help fill in the holes of the story where we had to make assumptions before. The dub is good. I don't know about cheesy; wasn't to me. Dilly-dally, shilly-shally is still in though.

I'm actually looking forward to Final Fantasy XIII now after playing even this little bit of it. I figure I'll have loads more fun than what I'd just experienced once I comprehend all of what's being said, and can wrap my head around what'll be the full battle system.

On the subject of Advent Children Complete, I watched the dub, skipped the parts with Aerith and the bit in the bedroom where Tifa tells Cloud to get off his emo ass, and liked the new parts. The small edits here and there were great
Cloud cracks Bahamut's skull, Tifa was downsized again for the FFVII flashback montage
, the new dub voices for Marlene and Denzel were great, and holy fuck the Final Limit Break.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
sheath.gif

Mocaped! I hope more animations will be of that quality.

I think the running animations are not very nice in the game, when you turn around it's really no different than on PS2, they could have had some nice transitions/weight-balancing (more like Prince of Persia). Other than that it's nice.

jump_button said:
I really hope they a non human character in the party

I don't! No furries please.

And also I feel even more certain that Lightning will be the antagonist in the game (at some point) because we have still seen no main "bad guy", something usually revealed early on.

Top Bottom