• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Final Fantasy XIII TRIAL VERSION Thread

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
TheChillyAcademic said:
While Im sure it is part, if not most, of the intro, there is no way in Hades that's the whole thing. And do we know specifically that the title will be broken into chapters? I know it worked in the context of the demo, maybe the beginning of the game as well, but the entirety of the game?

I suppose its possible.

There is no "main character" in FFXIII.

kraznk1d said:
From the look of the black magic system in this game, with fire being worth 1 and firaga worth 3, it looks promising for 4th tier spells like firaja to return. Fira would then be a stronger version of fire worth 1 and firaja a more powerful firaga. This game looks awesome.
I never like those names for different ranks of elements.
I want Fire 1,2,3 back.

Ra,Ja,Raga sounds so lame to me.

Nikorasu

Regulus Tera said:
P.S. FFVIII's opening cinematic was gorgeous. Other than that, I've always thought the Fire Cavern journey robbed the intro of all the oomph it could have achieved. It's my most disliked opening act in the series after FFIII's (Famicom).

True, for the most part. I kind of felt exploring the school and the fire cavern was a nice change of pace from every other FF which had a big explosive opening. It had sort of a slow buildup to the action which I liked. Gave you a little more context rather than having to explain everything during the mission itself.
Doesn't anyone attend briefings in videogames?

inner-G said:
i concur.

FFX had a good one too. I liked the 'To Zanarkand' intro before you hit start every time you boot it, and I also like the CG Blitzball/Sin destruction intro as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvIp4tRIUJI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqJYXoC1OQc
The pre-title screen FFX cinematic is exquisite. It perfectly captures the feeling of melancholy that stitches the game together. Everyone complains about Tidus's character, voice, etc; but somehow, whenever something Tidus would do had the opportunity to annoy me, I flashbacked to that, and it made the game seem that much richer: here in this contrast was actual character progression (even if the game's portrayal of the progression was a letdown).

The second one... meh. It's marred by the music. I mean, the music fits, I suppose, but I dislike the song enough for it to ruin the scene for me.

CHRP718

Banned
sechsterangriff said:
1239960550124.jpg
:lol :lol

so uh i was just watching ACC again, and i have a question
in one of the new scenes at the end, someone rings Denzel and Marlene, after which, they rush excitedly towards the church, amongst the ringing of phones and excited rushing of everyone around them also, who was that? The girl in the church said 'it's just like she said, wait here for cloud and he'll return' - so, Aerith is running a call centre from the lifestream or somethin'? wut?

inner-G

Banned
flabberghastly said:
The pre-title screen FFX cinematic is exquisite. It perfectly captures the feeling of melancholy that stitches the game together.
'To Zanarkand' is right up there with 'Tina' for my all-time favorite FF music.

BlazingDarkness said:
in one of the new scenes at the end, someone rings Denzel and Marlene, after which, they rush excitedly towards the church, amongst the ringing of phones and excited rushing of everyone around them also, who was that? The girl in the church said 'it's just like she said, wait here for cloud and he'll return' - so, Aerith is running a call centre from the lifestream or somethin'? wut?

I thought it was an homage to the original prototype of the FFVII sequel film before it became what we know as Advent Children. The basic premise was something along the lines of someone leaving a message for Cloud and it gets delivered by a bunch of kids in sequence until they get to Cloud and you find out who the message came from and what it said.

SOLDIER

rataven said:
Yuffie is voiced by Cristy Romano, and Marlene and Denzel are voiced by Ariel Winter and Aaron Refvem. No idea if they are recasts.

They're recasts. I wonder why they changed them. The voices got too old, maybe?

So Aerith is still Mena Suvari, and doesn't have any new lines?

SOLDIER said:
They're recasts. I wonder why they changed them. The voices got too old, maybe?

So Aerith is still Mena Suvari, and doesn't have any new lines?

That was the reasoning Nomura gave when they did it for the Japanese side. Makes sense, ey?

And no new lines for Aerith, so yeah.

SOLDIER

Kind of afraid to ask, but did anyone else get a new voice? I guess as long as Steve Burton and Rachel Leigh Cook are still in, it doesn't matter too much.

rataven

SOLDIER said:
Kind of afraid to ask, but did anyone else get a new voice? I guess as long as Steve Burton and Rachel Leigh Cook are still in, it doesn't matter too much.
Steve and Rachel are both back. If they redubbed anyone else, they did a dam good job because I can't tell. I'm just glad Reno got some new lines, because I love Quinton.
BlazingDarkness said:
:lol

KTallguy

Banned
I'm playing the demo again.

It just occurred to me, this might be the best FF ever.
Like ... I'm really excited here.
I can see this game being really, really good.

Please don't fuck it up, Square.

Oh and Versus, if it's like a Mature Kingdom Hearts with a mature story (by mature I mean somewhat adult topics, not blood and guts), I'll be very very happy.

I'm using the same adverb twice in a row! It must be awesome.

Oh and Versus trailer is great. I can't wait to see gameplay.

Barakov

KTallguy said:
I'm playing the demo again.

It just occurred to me, this might be the best FF ever.
Like ... I'm really excited here.
I can see this game being really, really good.

Please don't fuck it up, Square.

Oh and Versus, if it's like a Mature Kingdom Hearts with a mature story (by mature I mean somewhat adult topics, not blood and guts), I'll be very very happy.

I'm using the same adverb twice in a row! It must be awesome.

It's like you're shocked by your own enthusiasm. :lol

i'm just happy that what seems like waiting forever for the next FF game is finally coming to an end
from now onwards we'll be getting constant XIII media up until it's release, and then once XIII hits, we'll get Versus media up until it's release, probably like a year after, plus Agito stuff scattered between them
Add to that SE's other stuff, like KH titles and 3rd Birthday, and it feels like they've finally made an impression this gen

Gattsu25

Banned
Himuro said:
I like where Versus is heading so far story wise.

An FF game that has modern architecture and transportation, mafia, gang politics (at least from what I can tell from the trailer) and the tale of two lovers (from what I can see) forced to fight each other due to their family name.

It's like they popped into my head and see what my ideal FF story is.

Of course, this is based off the latest trailers of Versus but dammit, I hope it turns out well.
I found the perfect movie for you, then

VegaShinra

Am I the only person who feels like this game is going to be very emotional? The demo seemed like the game will have a lot of loss in it.

VegaShinra said:
Am I the only person who feels like this game is going to be very emotional? The demo seemed like the game will have a lot of loss in it.

I agree... I didn't even "know" those people... but I'm still sad.

KTallguy

Banned
Man, it feels impossible to die in this demo.
I'm just sitting here on the screen for the knight boss and Sahz just heals me every time.
I wonder if it'll be harder in the real game...

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
KTallguy said:
Man, it feels impossible to die in this demo.
I'm just sitting here on the screen for the knight boss and Sahz just heals me every time.
I wonder if it'll be harder in the real game...

Yeah, it will be. You won't have any of the magics.

KTallguy

Banned
OK I guess I'll try to get there...
I am fighting the knight guy.

Man the behemoth guy still isn't really hurting me.
It's funny though, Lebro (Osaka Whore) takes something out of her bra when she heals me!

Oh wow, I died.
And Game Over is written in a funny language!

Man I don't know how you could possibly die if you know what you're doing.
Magic, build chain meter, have good timing so you flip back and avoid the claw, attack, back off, attack, back off, break, launch, rinse repeat.

I mean, it's totally awesome that it's not XXXXXXXXXXX over and over, but at least for now, it seems pretty simple to kill things. I like how that if you do a single attack with good timing, you can flip out of the way of an incoming attack.

Himuro said:
Doesn't the Behemoth hit you for 500 damage when he knocks Snow in the air?

Yeah.. I actually died on that boss the first time I fought him.

So if there will be no magic.. I guess that means no healing either.

Do we know if they've done away with exp and leveling for the game or if it is just missing in the demo?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Himuro said:
I like where Versus is heading so far story wise.

An FF game that has modern architecture and transportation, mafia, gang politics (at least from what I can tell from the trailer) and the tale of two lovers (from what I can see) forced to fight each other due to their family name.

It's like they popped into my head and see what my ideal FF story is.

Of course, this is based off the latest trailers of Versus but dammit, I hope it turns out well.

Maybe the romance wont be shitty this time.

And they should end up dead. Thats always good for teh dramas

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
TheChillyAcademic said:
There wasn't a "main character" in FFXII either, we know how that turned out. What were your thoughts on the demo?

Anyone who doesnt think Ashe is the main should have their head checked. Same as people who dont think Terra in the main of VI.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Himuro said:
You must be fucking kidding me.

If there's one FF race I just don't see the appeal of at all it's Bangaas and those pig things from FFTA/FFXII.

Shoopuffs > Bangaas
Moombas > Bangaas

Because they are awesome lizards that punch things.

I hope a Bangaa jumps through a window and clocks Stella and Noctis in their faces during a romantic scene. Then it ends. That would be the best love story ever told.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Himuro said:
Bangaas are so terrible that the shitty Guado are above them.

No one likes the Guado, not even the people of FFX.

The acid is bad for you, Himu.

Are we getting any new info in Famitsu or some such deal soon

Don't make me start a defense of the Bangaas. They were one of my favorites in XII. How could you not want to hang out with one of these? :lol

Bangaa_races.jpg

HK-47 said:
Anyone who doesnt think Ashe is the main should have their head checked. Same as people who dont think Terra in the main of VI.

To be fair, Terra played a much better female lead then Ashe did, but I suppose the differences have to account for technological gaps.

I just watched the ACC, pretty damn good. Definitely shits all over the original cut.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
This demo gave me major FFX vibes.

I loved FFX, it was my first PS2 game and I never understood the hate. Maybe I'll buy a PS3 for this.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Himuro said:
You shut your dirty mouth.

Are you dissing the Hypello and Shoopuf? The Ronso and Al-Bhed are rockin' too.

Although, I can tell you're already biased against them given the fact one of the words in your username is BOCO.
If you like FF you like Chocobos, and that is a scientific fact.

It has nothing to do with how much Hypellos suck. They're like the fantasy equivalent of retards (can I say that anymore? howbout "mentally challenged"). Good luck in the Special Blitzball Olympics guys, but otherwise I don't care to ever see you during my awesome quest to save the world.

Bangaa actually fight like men.. and you can team up with some of them in XII hunts...

There are so many stupid races in FFX it's like the series Phantom fucking Menace.

inner-G

Banned
BocoDragon said:
There are so many stupid races in FFX it's like the series Phantom fucking Menace.
I thought the diversity made it cool. The different religions were especially interesting, it was kind of neat seeing a religious conflict from a neutral 3rd person perspective fleshed out like that in a game.

Top Bottom