• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Final Fantasy XIII TRIAL VERSION Thread

StuBurns

Banned
I think the antagonist was shown at the E3 trailer, at the ship they were loading the coffin (or whatever it was) in to.

Her:
Picture1.png

Ikael

And also I feel even more certain that Lightning will be the antagonist in the game (at some point) because we have still seen no main "bad guy", something usually revealed early on.

Nah, come on, remember the Squarenix patented formula of "you have an initial villain and then you discover that the real villain is another person behind the scenes".

StuBurns

Banned
Ether_Snake said:
Female Sephiroth? Bah.
She might be a good guy, who knows. You could be right about Lightening, I think that'd be very cool, we know we'll be controlling multiple 'teams' at different times. Starting the game as her till she kills someone important who is good, then playing from the other side would be awesome I think. But when I first saw that trailer, and saw her, I thought she was going to be the antagonist for the majority of the game.

This looks amazing!! I must order a copy. I have one question though, it's probably been answered many pages ago, but i don't have the patience to go back through this entire thread. Are the discs region locked? or region free? I'm UK based, so I don't want to order and it doesn't work etc.

20193 said:
This looks amazing!! I must order a copy. I have one question though, it's probably been answered many pages ago, but i don't have the patience to go back through this entire thread. Are the discs region locked? or region free? I'm UK based, so I don't want to order and it doesn't work etc.

Region free.

Thanks very much! :) *goes off to order*

EDIT: I just found a guy selling copies of the Trial Version on ebay for $60. Worth the purchase?

^ Ignore my idiotic comment, I just realised how much the movie costs... *slaps head*

Blimblim

The Inside Track
<lighing rant from me, as usual>
I finally got some time today to take a good hard look at our videos. Shame on me I know. Anyway, while I'm rather impressed as a whole by the game, especially the realtime cutscenes, the lighting during the fights *really* annoys me. While "ambiant" light is good to great, if something besides the flames emits a light during the fight, it has no consequence on the rest of the scene. Look at the "missing" part of our videos, the boss fight. The boss has different stages where he glows and stuff. Now look at the ground around him. It never changes color.
It's a detail no doubt, but you know (or not) me and I'm the worst lighting whore on this forum. So it really bugs me.
</rant>
I'm also disappointed it's not a real turn based game, but that's a completely different story ;)

StuBurns

Banned
AssassiN said:
Well it's 70-odd pages and i just dipped in and out so er no not really.
Me too, it's hard to keep up. Someone on here tried it, it worked. Region-free.

EDIT:
I went hunting, somewhere mid 50s.

Munba said:
I can confirm that FFAC movie is REGION FREE. I have PS3 EU and i just tried to see the movie. It works nicely. :)))))

Munba

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Blimblim said:
<lighing rant from me, as usual>
I finally got some time today to take a good hard look at our videos. Shame on me I know. Anyway, while I'm rather impressed as a whole by the game, especially the realtime cutscenes, the lighting during the fights *really* annoys me. While "ambiant" light is good to great, if something besides the flames emits a light during the fight, it has no consequence on the rest of the scene. Look at the "missing" part of our videos, the boss fight. The boss has different stages where he glows and stuff. Now look at the ground around him. It never changes color.
It's a detail no doubt, but you know (or not) me and I'm the worst lighting whore on this forum. So it really bugs me.
</rant>
I'm also disappointed it's not a real turn based game, but that's a completely different story ;)

That was to be expected. If it was all "real" lighting it would be much uglier. They need to bake a lot of the lighting and use custom ambient lighting per character/enemy to get it really nice. Otherwise it would look as bad as most other games out there. Making it so that when a boss "glows" lights the scene is practically impossible with current tech. You'd need real-time global illumination or some such. They are doing a pretty slick job IMO in a way that most won't notice.

Ether_Snake said:
And also I feel even more certain that Lightning will be the antagonist in the game (at some point) because we have still seen no main "bad guy", something usually revealed early on.
I'd like this if they do it with a bit of moral ambiguity, not the typical hamfisted melodrama that Final Fantasy tends to give us. One of the finer points of FFXII's story that I appreciated was the use of Vayne as a foil for Ashe. If they could accomplish something like that except take it a step further, making Lightning a supposed antagonist for a portion in the middle to late-middle of the game, it could be brilliant.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
jump_button said:
I really hope they a non human character in the party

If there are non humans, I hope they put at least two in. They had all these awesome races in XII and all we got was the damn assbunny

HK-47 said:
If there are non humans, I hope they put at least two in. They had all these awesome races in XII and all we got was the damn assbunny

well we only really see inside the Cocoon so who know what outside?

rataven

H_Prestige said:
I really hope this wasn't the entire CG opening for the game. It was really lackluster compared to previous games.
I liked it. The canyon was gorgeous with the colors and wildlife, and I hope it was a glimpse at the overworld/world map. Plus, baby Chocobo!!

I'm not worried either way. FFs always have epic, memorable openings.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
H_Prestige said:
I really hope this wasn't the entire CG opening for the game. It was really lackluster compared to previous games.

Nothing beats Bombing Mission.

Edit: I mean the FFVII opening. Short but so epic.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
rataven said:
I liked it. The canyon was gorgeous with the colors and wildlife, and I hope it was a glimpse at the overworld/world map.

I'm not worried either way. FFs always have epic, memorable openings.

"Welcome to Corneria!"

"Please save my daughter Sarah!"

"I, Garland, will knock you down!" *dies in four hits*

Okay, Garland alone makes it memorable.

Nikorasu

Kagari said:
Nothing beats Bombing Mission.

Edit: I mean the FFVII opening. Short but so epic.

Nothing screamed "THE FUTURE IS HERE!" like the slow pullback over Midgar. Jesus I must have been making the most hilarious face the whole time.

SOLDIER

ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
I'm actually looking forward to Final Fantasy XIII now after playing even this little bit of it. I figure I'll have loads more fun than what I'd just experienced once I comprehend all of what's being said, and can wrap my head around what'll be the full battle system.

On the subject of Advent Children Complete, I watched the dub, skipped the parts with Aerith and the bit in the bedroom where Tifa tells Cloud to get off his emo ass, and liked the new parts. The small edits here and there were great
Cloud cracks Bahamut's skull, Tifa was downsized again for the FFVII flashback montage
, the new dub voices for Marlene and Denzel were great, and holy fuck the Final Limit Break.

Marlene and Denzel have new voices?

Also, somebody confirm for Yuffie. Christie Romano or Mae West?

rataven

SOLDIER said:
Marlene and Denzel have new voices?

Also, somebody confirm for Yuffie. Christie Romano or Mae West?
Yuffie is voiced by Cristy Romano, and Marlene and Denzel are voiced by Ariel Winter and Aaron Refvem. No idea if they are recasts.

Nikorasu

I haven't watched the dub yet, and I don't know if I ever will. :|
I briefly switched to english during the last fight when Cloud says "I feel sorry for you, there is nothing I don't cherish!" It just sounded wrong, like he was sitting a booth reading a line instead of soaring through the air. Maybe it was the mixing. The lip syncing was particularly bad too.

HK-47 said:

Seeing as you yourself are a non human, I would expect such bias -.-

::flips through spellbook::

And mark my words people, that isn't the full intro!!

Nikorasu

TheChillyAcademic said:
Seeing as you yourself are a non human, I would expect such bias -.-

::flips through spellbook::

And mark my words people, that isn't the full intro!!

I'm going to guess the entire demo was part of the 'prologue' and the 'real' intro or plot set up comes afterwards.

kraznk1d

From the look of the black magic system in this game, with fire being worth 1 and firaga worth 3, it looks promising for 4th tier spells like firaja to return. Fira would then be a stronger version of fire worth 1 and firaja a more powerful firaga. This game looks awesome.

BuRT!

I ordered this the day it opened up on play asia, and this thread is really making me wish I didnt order economy air. Fuck you, thread.

I remember back in the say when my local game stores imported Japanese PlayStations and Japanese Final Fantasy VII and demoed it. I don't see that happening nowadays. FF doesn't seem to have the same mainstream appeal it once had. Or maybe I'm wrong...

EDIT: Oops, wrong roman numeral.

StuBurns

Banned
blindrocket said:
I remember back in the day when my local game stores imported Japanese PlayStations and Japanese Final Fantasy XII and demoed it. I don't see that happening nowadays. FF doesn't seem to have the same mainstream appeal it once had. Or maybe I'm wrong...
FFXIII is like vaporware to the general public I think. There are a number of Final Fantasy fans at uni and none of them new about the demo, none of them had seen a trailer. I think once the game is about to hit, and it's everywhere, it's going to be huge.

Nikorasu said:
I'm going to guess the entire demo was part of the 'prologue' and the 'real' intro or plot set up comes afterwards.

Would not surprise me. A soft fade in of the FFXIII logo as the camera pans high above our characters, light piano echoing softly in the background.

I can see it now.

The best intro is still this. After rewatching that just now, however, I realized that the opening visuals and voiceover of FFXIII seem to parallel it -- which makes me appreciate the new one a bit more. It's almost as if FFXIII's intro is a gloriously HD, ménage-à-trois lovechild of the FFVI (mentioned above), FFVII (train), and FFX (cityscape) intros.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
flabberghastly said:
The best intro is still this.

iwup8n.jpg

P.S. FFVIII's opening cinematic was gorgeous. Other than that, I've always thought the Fire Cavern journey robbed the intro of all the oomph it could have achieved. It's my most disliked opening act in the series after FFIII's (Famicom).

Himuro said:
Why do you guys think that's not the "real" intro? That makes little sense to me, and famitsu has confirmed that's the intro.

The game has multiple view points and chapters like Dragon Quest IV and Suikoden III.

While Im sure it is part, if not most, of the intro, there is no way in Hades that's the whole thing. And do we know specifically that the title will be broken into chapters? I know it worked in the context of the demo, maybe the beginning of the game as well, but the entirety of the game?

I suppose its possible.

Top Bottom