• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Final Fantasy XIII TRIAL VERSION Thread

Awntawn

I wanna see a race of bird people called Mancobos, maybe with some tragic origin backstory involving inhumane scientific experiments or something ;o

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
It's all too childish. Funny how pre-FFVII games had more "mature" stories to some extent.

I wish there was still some sort of Matsuno at Square. The best stories have been in his games:|

Ether_Snake said:
It's all too childish. Funny how pre-FFVII games had more "mature" stories to some extent.

I wish there was still some sort of Matsuno at Square. The best stories have been in his games:|
Yeah, Matsuno was a severe loss to SE. Takahashi was also an unfortunate one (though that was further in the past).

Right now, I don't see anyone at SE filling in the gaps. FFvXIII looks promising, but I'm uncertain what the potential really is for a decent story. I know Nomura is directing, but do we have any idea who the writer is? I'd also like to see FFXIII succeed, but I'm expecting nothing greater than the usual Final Fantasy fare at this point. I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than needlessly disappointed.

rataven

Just ran through the demo again. It's so good! XIII has a little bit of everything that I love from my fav FFs.

And I noticed the Team Nora chic has a tattoo of a butterfly on her left shoulder. She really does have the most cliche character design. :lol

DarknessTear said:
For people who have the demo: Does it have DTS support? Like normally, or maybe if you turn off dolby digital 5.1 on your PS3, does DTS activate?

Question still hasn't been answered yet. I must know!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
TheChillyAcademic said:
To be fair, Terra played a much better female lead then Ashe did, but I suppose the differences have to account for technological gaps.

I just watched the ACC, pretty damn good. Definitely shits all over the original cut.

Better how? They were completely different characters.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Ether_Snake said:

Yeah well that is the state of RPGs right now, not just at Square. Its the kind of stories Kitase, Noruma and Nojima make.

And I agree that IV and VI were more mature

HK-47 said:
Good question. But, admittedly, it's not outside the realm of possibility to compare completely different characters. I mean, I'm sure practically everyone would agree Balthier was a much better character than Zell.

For the record, Terra and Ashe are both great characters.

Rpgmonkey

flabberghastly said:
Yeah, Matsuno was a severe loss to SE. Takahashi was also an unfortunate one (though that was further in the past).

Right now, I don't see anyone at SE filling in the gaps. FFvXIII looks promising, but I'm uncertain what the potential really is for a decent story. I know Nomura is directing, but do we have any idea who the writer is? I'd also like to see FFXIII succeed, but I'm expecting nothing greater than the usual Final Fantasy fare at this point. I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than needlessly disappointed.

Nojima's writing for Versus IIRC.

BocoDragon said:
There are so many stupid races in FFX it's like the series Phantom fucking Menace.

I would give up drinking for two weeks to punch you in the dick right now.

edit: and I'd give up blowing loads for two months to punch HK-47 in the dick.

lupinko

Ether_Snake said:

Matsuno is now writing for Platinum Games, his most recent contribution was to MADWORLD. <3 <3 <3

HK-47 said:

Different doesnt mean better I suppose, its personal opinion. I felt Terra was a stronger character overall. Thats not to say that Ashe wasn't a capable character, rather my point is that her personality was dictated by the events around her. She didn't, imo, have much of a personality that I found engrossing.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Himuro said:
I don't see how IV is more "mature" than FFVIII or FFX.

If anything, most pre-VII FF's were good for their lightheartedness, not "maturity".

If anything, VI is the one pre-VII FF that's even more mature than most of them, and it could be argued it is the most morbid FF period.

Fuck yeah IV was more mature than that middle school level romance know as VIII

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
lupinko said:
Matsuno is now writing for Platinum Games, his most recent contribution was to MADWORLD. <3 <3 <3

He should be working on RPGs or an MMO with a Western company or something:|

EDIT: See the FFIV pre-rendered sequences of FFIV remake to get an idea of how "more mature" it is. Sure, it was made way back then so it's not mature in the way a movie could be, but it would translate really well today if it was done in HD without being awkward, contrarily to a game like FFVII and its fireworks/goldsaucer/cloud in wheelchair/honey bee INN/etc. and FFVIII's highschool drama.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
lupinko said:

That was just a one off thing. We have little idea what he is doing now.

flabberghastly said:
No, he should collaborate with Japan's other MIA game-genius, Itagaki.

NG Combat + Matsuno Story = The Game of My Dreams

If, for any reason, this should ever happen, please be assured I will come find you and end you.

lupinko

flabberghastly said:
No, he should collaborate with Japan's other MIA game-genius, Itagaki.

NG Combat + Matsuno Story = The Game of My Dreams

Meh, Matsuno already did just fine with KING ARTHUR himself, aka PROFESSOR F, aka the man who had a camp that goes Whoopee in Deep Space! And so forth, Tokuro Fujiwara.

I'd rather just have more Madworld games.

Anyway back to FFXIII demo discussion, I get my copy on Monday because Play-Asia didn't ship it until the 17th.

diss

Banned
i like bangaa
lizard men work well as merchants, shifty pickpockets, smugglers and thugs

i also like both nomura and matsuno's stuff. i'm a lover not a hater

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
TheJollyCorner said:
I would give up drinking for two weeks to punch you in the dick right now.

edit: and I'd give up blowing loads for two months to punch HK-47 in the dick.

<3

Nemesis_

Is Versus parallel to Final Fantasy XIII in terms of development, or will they finish Final Fantasy XIII and then begin work on Versus proper?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Nemesis556 said:
Is Versus parallel to Final Fantasy XIII in terms of development, or will they finish Final Fantasy XIII and then begin work on Versus proper?
It was supposed to be parallel but the team making Versus is now also working part time on FFXIII.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Nemesis556 said:

The KH team is working on Versus, though some of the team was used to help finish XIII. They are both being worked on, but XIII is the priority. As soon as XIII is complete I imagine staff will be moved onto Versus.

HK-47 said:
The KH team is working on Versus, though some of the team was used to help finish XIII. They are both being worked on, but XIII is the priority. As soon as XIII is complete I imagine staff will be moved onto Versus.

How specifically were the Fabula Nova Crystallis games set chronologically speaking in context to the overall plot and narrative?

Agito - Past
Versus - Present
XIII - Future

?

Hmmm.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
TheChillyAcademic said:
How specifically were the Fabula Nova Crystallis games set chronologically speaking in context to the overall plot and narrative?

Agito - Past
Versus - Present
XIII - Future

?

Hmmm.

Thats how I understand it. I'm hoping they do relate them in a meaningful way. Right now it seems like a ploy to put two more game under the Final Fantasy XIII selling name.

Though doesnt Agito have cellphones?

HK-47 said:
Thats how I understand it. I'm hoping they do relate them in a meaningful way. Right now it seems like a ploy to put two more game under the Final Fantasy XIII selling name.

Though doesnt Agito have cellphones?

Well I suppose past is used a tad liberally. Comparing what we've seen of Agito's time period vs (har) what we see in XIII, one can easily assume that the "past" in Agito is still relatively technologically advanced.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
TheChillyAcademic said:
Well I suppose past is used a tad liberally. Comparing what we've seen of Agito's time period vs (har) what we see in XIII, one can easily assume that the "past" in Agito is still relatively technologically advanced.

Its more the relationship between Agito and Versus than XIII

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Or even more specifically, do you hate crappy stories with underdeveloped character archetypes that spiral out into WTF land?

I'm kidding. I dont hate Nojima that much.

Also I guess the interview confirms that XIII isnt going the BKO/DQVIII method of a small, static party. Wouldnt be much point in three max active party members with four to choose from, even with temp members.

Rpgmonkey

Himuro said:
Or more specifically, do you like FFVII, VIII, X?

I thought Nomura didn't have much involvement in their plots though, or did he?

I figured comparing it to something where Nomura has a lot more input would make more sense.

Edit: Well, the outcome doesn't seem too good for him regardless, so I guess it doesn't matter either way. :lol

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Rpgmonkey said:
I thought Nomura didn't have much involvement in their plots though, or did he?

I figured comparing it to something where Nomura has a lot more input would make more sense.

Nojima, not Noruma. Nojima is a writer, Noruma is a character designer and director

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
U K Narayan said:
No.

No.

Fuck. :(

Don't worry, he also wrote The Subspace Emissary's plot in Super Smash Bros. Brawl!

Himuro said:
He said Nojima, who wrote for VI-VIII, X, Advent Children, and iirc some of Dirge.

Who wrote Dissidia? I need to know who to blame for that.

Rpgmonkey

HK-47 said:
Nojima, not Noruma. Nojima is a writer, Noruma is a character designer and director

No, I mean games like FFVIII and stuff were directed by other people.

Versus is pretty similar to Kingdom Hearts in terms of who's directing and writing the project, so I figured it'd be a slightly better comparison than say FFVII or something (if I had to compare) when it comes to how the game would turn out with characters or something.

Darkpen

Banned
lol

So I just got back from checking out both the demo and FF7ACC at Auron_Kale's place, and I'd like to drop my two cents for both:

To start, ACC has had tons of changes that I believe will help ease comprehension of the story to both newcomers and fans of the game (and original release) alike, though they should have been there since the original release. Not only does it briefly explains who Denzel actually is, as well as his significance to not only to Cloud, but his role as a quasi-central character, but it gives at least some empathy for the audience to latch on to. Not to mention, now we actually fucking know how bad geostigma actually is, as opposed to suddenly seeing Cloud's arm go all crazy, and only seeing dark marks on people's skin :/

In terms of quality, I am absolutely baffled by the fact that some scenes do indeed look like they're upscaled DVD. I don't understand this. The amount of dithering is a notable issue as well. I am disappointed that the final BD ended up looking like this, when I was honestly expecting some Pixar shit. The film could have really used a final pass.

Something to note that Kale thought of is that perhaps the entire purpose of the phone falling into the water was for what happens later when
everyone gets phone calls from the spirit of Aeris
, which I hope to null some of the backlash that that particular scene got when the movie first came out.

I also really appreciated the changes they made to the music, notably when Cloud's geostigma acts up in the church. The original piece that played there was absolutely jarring, and to hear a rather nostalgic piece play in its place was a nice touch.

I really wish that this was the movie that I showed to all of my friends and family, instead of the broken and poorly presented original. Sure, the pacing was nice and quicker, but the story was terrible, and the rework they did on the expositional aspects of the script helped a lot, though the scene with Rufus giving his long speech to Cloud at the beginning was amazingly poorly localized/translated. I don't know or care how close it is to what he says in the Japanese version: the English dub for that scene is fucking horrendous. The entire movie could have used one more pass, notably the scenes where they clearly didn't rerender, and to fix all of the fucking dithering and hair issues. I also noticed some framerate problems in a panning scene sometime immediately before or after Cloud puts on his goggles in the title sequence, which I can only imagine to have been part of the collection of upscaled DVD footage they have sprinkled throughout the feature.

But despite all of that, I greatly enjoyed the additional footage, definitely making a future purchase of the movie well worth having. While the quality isn't consistent, the additional footage is really something else, especially with how they retooled the introductory sequence of the old characters, the bike chase, and then finally the second half of the Sephiroth fight. Definitely worth picking up just to gush as a fan.

I don't expect they'll fix the DVD upscaled scenes for the US release, but regardless, I'll be picking up, demo or not.

One last thing I'd like to note about the movie was that watching this "final version" made me think about the fact that FF7's story is really birthed a lot from Sakaguchi's whole thing with his mom, making me wonder about how different AC would have been if Gooch was still around. I mean, sure, technically The Spirits Within is spiritually related to FF7, but regarding the fact that the story's a continuation, it's very clear that the change of focus in terms of themes and characters in ACC in comparison to FF7's own themes is due to a different writing team and intentions of story telling. Gooch's influence more or less begins and ends with the life stream, and anything regarding life and death surrounding it, but ACC touches on themes that are a bit more subtle than that, or at least that was how I felt.

---

Regarding FFXIII, I really wish I didn't watch the live stream. While it says a lot that such a low quality stream w/ artifacts wowed me as much as it did (and trust me, I was wow'd a lot when I was watching that), I feel that having read a lot of impressions here in this thread, and notably reading what the translations were for the menu commands, really eased my entire experience of the demo. I went through it really quickly, spending only about a minute or two spinning the camera around at the beginning to enjoy the sheer beauty of the graphics and draw distance.

Graphically, as everyone else has said, it was intense. I loaded up Kale's copy of MGS4 and RE5 a bit later to check out his JVC headphone adapter, and while MGS4 is unsurprisingly astounding, and while RE5 has the whole quincunx issue of looking blurry, they're both graphically beautiful games. But when compared to this demo of FFXIII, there really are no words. It makes me wonder what kind of AA they're using for the game, because texture detail is definitely in full force here, yet I spot no aliasing issues.

In terms of combat, again, I think its because I read this thread, particularly the translations for the commands, and read Kobun's complaint about the 1-hit kill thing, and hearing from Kale about how the dude kept ramming him into a corner, I was expecting the worst.

But I breezed right through the demo :/

Kale said it was because I "kept him at a distance," but really, all I did was... well, I just kept comboing him. I didn't do anything special, outside of maybe not wasting ATB time. Something I noticed was that I was given 3 ATB bars right at the beginning, so I spent Blizzaga straight off the bat. I dunno. I'd really like to see a video of someone failing miserably against the boss, and having that compared to someone else who breezes right through it.

I really wonder how differently I might have played if I didn't read this thread or watched the live feed.

Even more, hearing Kale's complaints, and noticing in the live feed footage for myself of how if you still have a move and your target died, the remaining moves are wasted, I simply found myself paying attention to the life bars, and just initiating as much damage as I would need to deal out, rather than just spamming Attack for all 3 notches, or whatever. While its a shame that you don't automatically attack the next closest enemy, if this doesn't get fixed for the final release, I imagine there will be a strategical reason behind it, like perhaps to push the player to be more methodical.

I imagine that my complaints and impressions would have been vastly different if it wasn't for the fact that I followed this thread and saw the game in action through videos, but I hope I added a different aspect to the impressions that people are giving, one that's based on a reaction to the reactions of others.

---

I'd like to thank Auron for letting me come over and hanging out, and tolerating my constant pausing and rewinding during ACC, just to point something out or whatever :lol. You have some insane amounts of stuff I want, man. I just don't get why you have so many multiple copies of stuff too D: Jesus. You've gotta unbox that Raiden, too. That's some injustice right there. Raiden's too cool to be kept locked in a cage :p

Darkpen

Banned
Himuro said:
Was this posted?

Interview with Toriyama about the battle system. This was conducted by famitsu.
The Demo held nothing but a portion of the basis (of the full version), so as far as the strategy part goes, you'll have to wait for the full version.

It could be considered the evolved form of the ATB system. We've merely taken the time to show you a portion of the pace of battle (that you can expect in the full version). At this extent (of the battle system?) you can't use summons so they weren't included (in the Demo), but because the full version will introduce many different elements (that weren't present in the Demo), even if you are playing the same location (as in the Demo) your impression of the game will certainly be different.

A: For those who want to play a very fast paced battle, they can just use commands as soon as the 1st gauge fills up. For those who want slightly stronger attacks, they can wait until the gauge is full and use attacks such as Firaga. In this way, playing styles can be completely different. We plan to have the Time gauge be able to grow in size such that the number of commands you can enter grows as well. With that you can (expect to see) skills which consume even more of the gauge. By the way, in the full version, we plan to arrange the commands into an even more user friendly menu (than was found in the Demo). We want to make it so that even with a large number of commands, it never becomes a hassle to use commands.
Interesting that they'll be incorporating strategy into the combat. I imagine it'll be repetitive based on enemy types or something, though.

To hear that he considers it an "evolved form" of the ATB system is curious. It certainly is evolved, but in a way that takes old elements from other RPGs and mixing it with the ATB system of FF, making for something that's different, but evolved? I can't really see the system being expanded upon more than what they do with XIII, whether being copied by another RPG, or even in later entries. I can see them using it again, and making slight tweaks, but I dunno.

I was really wondering just how they'd make menu navigation easier for the full game when I was playing the demo and writing my impressions, so to hear that is assuring. I was a bit worried it'd become cluttered, or maybe they'd make you select which commands you can use by limiting action slots or something. And to know that they purposely pursued (or found) that this combat system promoted different styles amongst players is pretty nice, and another thing I noticed even from just playing the demo, though just how much people will diverge from the core combo system will be curious to see.

gantz85

Banned
Himuro said:
Was this posted?

Interview with Toriyama about the battle system. This was conducted by famitsu.

Thank god. The Battle System UI leaves much to be desired. Good to hear it will be revised.

Top Bottom