• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Final Fantasy XIII TRIAL VERSION Thread

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The only reason they would really need a transition screen is to load/unload stuff, something FFXII didn't need and which wouldn't be needed here either if they built the game from the ground up with that in mind.

Also I remember in the 2006 trailer there was a lot more enemies on screen at once, I wonder if this is still the case. There were around 10 PSI-OPS and a couple of red beasts.

stuburns said:
The transition it to load the smaller character models so they have more available memory.

Doubtful, the difference wouldn't be so major that you'd save enough memory to make it worthwhile.

StuBurns

Banned
Ether_Snake said:
Doubtful, the difference wouldn't be so major that you'd save enough memory to make it worthwhile.
Not just the character models, probably some geometry also, why else would they bother?

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
stuburns said:
Writing the game off? Who is?

Commenting about the game design based on this demo is completely valid. Maybe it's a trick, like the first track on Narrow Stairs, it appears to be exactly what you'd expect, then bang, it's different. But I don't think so. It looks exactly like the natural progression we've been seeing from this team.

People are, I didn't say you silly.

Commenting on a demo is valid but making up your final decision of the game based upon this demo is kinda lame IMO.

I'm not saying you, just saying in general and not about this forum.

StuBurns

Banned
g35twinturbo said:
I'm not saying you, just saying in general and not about this forum.
Oh, I thought you meant in this thread. I actually haven't seen impression elsewhere. I'm shocked anyone could write this off. It might be traditional, but it looks so awesome.

flabberghastly said:
xpq4k6.png

Nah, not low res enough.

Spoo

Tommorow :D

Anyway, as for the linear path of the demo -- this is a title sequence, yeah? I mean, when you're trying to ease a player into a new game/world, do you really want to throw them into a large open area and say "get to the end so we can start this game proper!"

No. Not even FFXII did that. The opening sequence is one nice path (albeit with stairs) to the end.

I'd expect that if the demo took place much further into the game, things would be quite different. *and* spoilerific.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
stuburns said:
Not just the character models, probably some geometry also, why else would they bother?

Actually I am rewatching the videos now and:

1- The fight against the first boss has a nice transition, I'm guessing they are trying to do this for the most part but it's something they are still working on (for bosses anyway) so it has yet to be fully implemented.

2- I love how they really justify the presence of the enemies, like the ship that drops the soldiers.

3- The transition to the battle scenes is way too quick for any loading/unloading to take place, so it has nothing to do with memory. Originally it may have been why they chose to take this route, but ultimately it serves no memory-saving purpose because it is way too fast. I'm guessing it's a design issue that have to stick to because no longer sticking to it would mean too much work (for example, maybe in some parts of the game you have a LOT of enemies nearby, so if there is no transition you could walk up to them in fight and end up with like 20 enemies in a fight).

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
stuburns said:
If it's not for resources I find it a mind blowing decision. I can't see a single benefit to it.

I edited my post.

Actually I'm sure of it now. The battle takes place exactly where you encounter the enemies, but it allows them to single out a unit for the fight and leave other enemies/creatures further away out of the battle. Also it allows them to reposition the characters to the "standard" formation rather than initiate the fight with the characters standing wherever they might be standing when the fight is triggered. So I'm 100% certain it's just to avoid such issues. They save nothing in memory, since the same environment is present (and most of the memory is used by meshes and textures, all of which are still there in the fight).

Ether_Snake said:

1- The fight against the first boss has a nice transition, I'm guessing they are trying to do this for the most part but it's something they are still working on (for bosses anyway) so it has yet to be fully implemented.

2- I love how they really justify the presence of the enemies, like the ship that drops the soldiers.

3- The transition to the battle scenes is way too quick for any loading/unloading to take place, so it has nothing to do with memory. Originally it may have been why they chose to take this route, but ultimately it serves no memory-saving purpose because it is way too fast. I'm guessing it's a design issue that have to stick to because no longer sticking to it would mean too much work (for example, maybe in some parts of the game you have a LOT of enemies nearby, so if there is no transition you could walk up to them in fight and end up with like 20 enemies in a fight).

from the videos, I'm under impression the number of enemies you fight depends on how many enemy is aware of your presence, hence the warning sign above enemies just right before the fight begin.

anyway, I doubt the reason is too avoid large scale battles like your scenarios, they could always make it like the beginning of FF X where you fight sin spawn, they could always add more of them everytime you killed 1.

ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
Installation on both platforms isn't the one-button solution though. There's still loading or an obvious transition screen, and I don't know how multi-disc installation for 360 games works.

The game will ship on one Blu-Ray (dual layered?) for the PS3 and multiple DVDs for the 360 right? Having an installation option might just be another feature the PS3 version has and not necessarily for the better or worse.

TheChillyAcademic said:
The game will ship on one Blu-Ray (dual layered?) for the PS3 and multiple DVDs for the 360 right? Having an installation option might just be another feature the PS3 version has and not necessarily for the better or worse.

Hmm, I don't even know if they are going to have installation at all. Currently the demo runs well without an overkill of loading. Granted, the demo is only around 5GB's so the data is probably all near the center of the BD which cuts back on loading time. *goes back to playing the demo for the 5th time*

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
TheChillyAcademic said:

I hope they can get it streaming mainly off the disc. It is possible.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
stuburns said:
Oh, I thought you meant in this thread. I actually haven't seen impression elsewhere. I'm shocked anyone could write this off. It might be traditional, but it looks so awesome.

exactly my point, I wasn't to sure what they expected but this is what I expected.

I love it. Actually I'm going to play the demo again.

TheChillyAcademic said:

Nobody on the development side has said anything on the amount of physical media that the game'll be on or installation, probably because they probably want to leave that for the home stretch. The desire on our end is certainly less discs (or more for nostalgia's sake).

Kagari said:

The thing I find is, every game I've played that touted streaming without installs has had that obvious skip in play that breaks the feel of seamless flow in the game. I'm talking specifically about Killzone 2 and Uncharted where the flow would suddenly have a frame skip out or jump abruptly (or worse, Uncharted's texture assets wouldn't load in time and I'd see a super blurry green place that would load into a jungle). I definitely don't want FFXIII to have that against it.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Callibretto said:
from the videos, I'm under impression the number of enemies you fight depends on how many enemy is aware of your presence, hence the warning sign above enemies just right before the fight begin.

anyway, I doubt the reason is too avoid large scale battles like your scenarios, they could always make it like the beginning of FF X where you fight sin spawn, they could always add more of them everytime you killed 1.

No that's different. The problems they faced were likely that you would SEE other enemies nearby, but during the fight they would just stand there like idiots while you fought their buddies, continuing their patrols in the distance because they are too far to be linked to the battle. So since it would look dumb, it is better to erase them during the fight. Also if one can run up to you and join the fight so could the others, so your example wouldn't work because it would look dumb if only one of the three enemies far away runs to replace one you defeated.

Also, very important, they use the transition phase to reposition all the characters to a standard formation needed for the battle system to work as designed, something they could not do otherwise because the characters would fight from their starting positions and the battle system is not designed to support that. For example, you can't go behind the boss in FFXIII, something you could do in FFXII. If you could go behind the boss, it would screw up everything. Imagine the big sawblades boss turning around on himself just to strike a character, then turning again to strike another one. Worked in FFXII, but not here considering the way everything it set up. Also it would work poorly with their cinematics transitions.

The transition phase is obviously a design decision that has more to do with how the battle system itself was designed, not something related to memory or some such. I only realized this now after watching the videos again.

Kagari said:

I suppose for me it comes down to doing what will make my FFXIII experience the best. If SE wants to through a 20 minute install time on the PS3 version just because it allows them to skimp on streaming from the disk (which would, theoretically, enhance the loading performance) then it doesn't matter.

Diablos

So I watched some of the stream and, uh, wow...

Battle system looks ADDICTING, I cannot wait to play this.

btw, FF13 has the best battle music in the whole damn series. Pretty sure.

Diablos said:
So I watched some of the stream and, uh, wow...

Battle system looks ADDICTING, I cannot wait to play this.

btw, FF13 has the best battle music in the whole damn series. Pretty sure.
Funny because i have only been hearing for a short time in those videos and i already hate it, i personally think the battle music from ff6 and 7 is the best of the series.

I'm curious how well ACC has sold (not to mention the bundle).

I saw a few people on my friends list playing the demo. :(
I hope I get mine earlier in the week rather than later... damn Air Economy shipping! ;_;

TheJollyCorner said:

I hope I get mine earlier in the week rather than later... damn Air Economy shipping! ;_;

Unforgivable.

I will say that after watching ACC, I was actually quite impressed. The scenes they added, the extensions they put in, really add to the overall quality of the film.

Diablos

flintstryker said:
Funny because i have only been hearing for a short time in those videos and i already hate it, i personally think the battle music from ff6 and 7 is the best of the series.
FF7's is great too, but, this is really really awesome. I love the part at 1:15 (if you are listening to the demo songs). It seemed as though they took that part out previously, but now it's back, yay.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
TheJollyCorner said:

Last I heard, 100K on day one.

inner-G

Banned
TheChillyAcademic said:
I will say that after watching ACC, I was actually quite impressed. The scenes they added, the extensions they put in, really add to the overall quality of the film.
agreed. It's a really big difference imo, not just visually either.

rataven

TheChillyAcademic said:
I agree! The added scenes add so much more to the story, not just figth, fight, fight and gravity defing mumbo jumbo. ACC is actually a really good movie. Watching it again tonight :D

I love XIIIs battle music, but it's not the best in the series! That goes to VI and VII and I'd throw X in there too.
Kagari said:
Last I heard, 100K on day one.
Nice!

rataven said:
I agree! The added scenes add so much more to the story, not just figth, fight, fight and gravity defing mumbo jumbo. ACC is actually a really good movie. Watching it again tonight :D

I can admit it, FFVII holds an extremely special place in my gaming heart (very much the same way FFVI does for most of you). There were points, while watching it, that I became sort of...emotional with nostalgia. Anyone who was disappointed with the original cut (and have modest expectations) definitely needs to check it out.

I've been wanting to import the movie not just for the demo but because I actually like AC. but I heard there's no english subtitle so I haven't bought it yet. is it true?

Callibretto said:
I've been wanting to import the movie not just for the demo but because I actually like AC. but I heard there's no english subtitle so I haven't bought it yet. is it true?

There are no English subtitles but there is English VA lol

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I watched the movie last night for the first time since watching the original cut however many years ago..and to be honest I couldn't see where the new scenes were. I don't know if that's just my memory being horrible or the scenes being implemented so well. I did notice the sections that looked way better than other parts of the movie, so I just kind of figured those were the new/retouched ones.

Are there are any big scenes/changes you guys can point out? (in spoiler tags if you want) Otherwise I might have to dig up the old DVD to compare. Great movie though, I loved the original back then and had a good time watching it again. Love the extras too, especially the FF7 feature.

TheChillyAcademic said:
There are no English subtitles but there is English VA lol
what a weird decision from Squenix. oh well, I'll have to wait for the US release. it's just that I'm not sure the US release will have ff13 demo and that demo is really a nice bonus.

Callibretto said:
what a weird decision from Squenix. oh well, I'll have to wait for the US release. it's just that I'm not sure the US release will have ff13 demo and that demo is really a nice bonus.

The NA release will not have the demo lol Will not.

rataven

worldrevolution said:
Are there are any big scenes/changes you guys can point out? (in spoiler tags if you want) Otherwise I might have to dig up the old DVD to compare. Great movie though, I loved the original back then and had a good time watching it again. Love the extras too, especially the FF7 feature.
There are quite a few changes. Probably easier to go here and read through them. They did a great job listing them.

The last part of the fight with Seph was completely redone and is probably the most significant. They added LOTS of blood to that fight and really played up Zack's importance to Cloud and why he continues to fight.
TheChillyAcedemic said:
I can admit it, FFVII holds an extremely special place in my gaming heart (very much the same way FFVI does for most of you). There were points, while watching it, that I became sort of...emotional with nostalgia. Anyone who was disappointed with the original cut (and have modest expectations) definitely needs to check it out.
I'm with you on that. VII means the most to me. Not my first RPG, but the first one that stuck with me loooong after I played it.

KTallguy

Banned
Ether_Snake said:

I think it's also because you transition to an area that doesn't have any obstacles for the ai to get mixed up on, like rocks or other objects. It morphs to a flat plane. I think that's just fine and dandy, personally.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
U K Narayan said:
I dislike the fact that combat animations keep rolling even though an enemy has been defeated. They better fix that in the final version.

You apparently can stock unused moves for later use

KTallguy

Banned
I would actually rather have it that you waste the attacks if an enemy dies mid combo:

1. You can see the asshole's health bar, so take that into account.
2. Make it so people don't get into pushing ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK without thinking, encourages a more thoughtful style of play, etc.

I honestly like the system how it is, except I want to be able to trigger partners' attacks with the LR buttons. So if I want them to use magic or attack or whatever, I can push a button and match my attacks to it. :D

Sounds fun.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
U K Narayan said:
? I'm not sure how this relates to what I just said.

From what was explained to me, you can cancel the move and the unused stock can then be used later or directed at another opponent or some such thing.

rataven

U K Narayan said:
I dislike the fact that combat animations keep rolling even though an enemy has been defeated. They better fix that in the final version.
I think you can cancel out of your combo if the enemy is defeated on the first or second hit.

rataven

I just checked on this.

You can cancel out of your combo by hitting X before the next move starts, regardless if the enemy is dead or not. Then you need to wait for the ATB to fill back up before you can use the stocked move(s) on a different target, but the duration is shorter based on how many moves you have stocked (either 1 or 2).

Top Bottom