• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Final Fantasy XIII TRIAL VERSION Thread

Darkpen

Banned
Kagari said:
Advent Children Complete looks really sharp on my TV. Just started it but they've already added things that help bring more depth to the film. :eek:
oh yeah, it looks great... until you notice some really standout scenes where its freaking obvious they used old footage :(

Hobbun

MrDenny said:
Umm, they said advent children complete won't play on a NA PS3, which I believe is incorrect. They liked FFXII's mmo style battle system (yuck).

If he said that, he is 100% incorrect. I played ACC on my NA PS3 Friday night just fine.

And I agree, 'yuck' on FF XII's combat system.

I just beat the Behemoth and he's actually pretty easy. Just keep launching him when he starts flashing yellow.

I'm starting to get used to the battle system and it's becoming a little bit more manageable. It's not very fun yet, but I think it's because of the lack of options in the beginning of the game. I still want some kind of wait mode, though, and I still think the HP numbers are a bit too small. And I hope there will be an option to stop the camera from zooming in every time you stop moving.

Darkpen

Banned
MrDenny said:
Umm, they said advent children complete won't play on a NA PS3, which I believe is incorrect. They liked FFXII's mmo style battle system (yuck).
I don't even feel like watching that now :/

rataven

H_Prestige said:
I just beat the Behemoth and he's actually pretty easy. Just keep launching him when he starts flashing yellow.
So that's how you launch him. I figured you couldn't do it cause Snow always missed, but I guess I wasn't patient enough. I love that you can do launches on bosses.

lupinko

MrDenny said:

:lol :lol

Wow, those guys are really clueless to not even know that even if the movie was region locked, it would still play regardless on NA PS3s since Japan and North America are the same region.

"Game journos" :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Spoo

So, I got my demo! :D

Looks great, plays great, and overall I love it. But, seriously, I had the Behemoth boss fuck me up. He got into this mode where all he did was launch me into the sky, and I had to concentrate entirely on healing my guy before he even hit the ground. The second I decided to leave it up to my teammates, they didn't heal me, and I died :| Couldn't even get one hit in when the boss started doing that.

Yazus

H_Prestige said:

I'm starting to get used to the battle system and it's becoming a little bit more manageable. It's not very fun yet, but I think it's because of the lack of options in the beginning of the game. I still want some kind of wait mode, though, and I still think the HP numbers are a bit too small. And I hope there will be an option to stop the camera from zooming in every time you stop moving.

Since this is an old build of the demo I hope final version will have an HUD revamp (bigger HP font etc) and Wait Mode.

careksims

MrDenny said:

What the hell? I watched the movie twice on my NA PS3. Idiots.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Squall5042 said:
The FFXII GAF hate makes me sad. I like both battle systems personally...

Same here, but instead of sad it pisses me off. Its so stupid to hear them whine like babies about it all the time. They act like they are the only final fantasy fans here.

RAWR!!!

ff7tripleanimalstyle.jpg

Got it during my lunch break. Must find a good excuse to leave the office early now...

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Kagari said:
Ahh, good!

Playing through again now... I really think by the time the full game comes out it'll be one of the best looking games on the system, even for just the character modeling and amount of AA being used alone. Not a jaggy in sight-- quite impressive, if you ask me.

I can look at the demo now and tell you that ;)

donkey show said:
RAWR!!!

http://www.daviddino.com/ff7tripleanimalstyle.jpg
Got it during my lunch break. Must find a good excuse to leave the office early now...

luuuuucky!

inner-G

Banned
donkey show said:
dude, you were eating off of it!

/end Joe Dirt reference

Squall5042 said:

It was a good game, it just wasn't a good Final Fantasy. I think most of the backlash was that people were hoping for a more traditional game after the big letdown they felt from FF XI.

mr_nothin

Banned
Squall5042 said:
The hate against FFXII is retarded. :/
It's like nobody tried to dig into the gambit system.
I really hated it at 1st because I thought it took away control but after I figured out the gambit system it was GREAT.

Zilch

Banned
Squall5042 said:

It is frustrating, but do find solace in the fact that a lot of the whiners seem to be dissatisfied with FFXIII's battle system now too. They'll realize that they'll never get an old-fashioned FF ever again sooner or later.

mr_nothin said:
I really hated it at 1st because I thought it took away control but after I figured out the gambit system it was GREAT.

the monster hunts and lore were awesome in the game... battles involved many tactical retreats, loved it nonetheless

inner-G

Banned
Zilch said:
They'll realize that they'll never get an old-fashioned FF ever again sooner or later.
Or they'll move on to stuff like Persona, which feels fresher than FF games, and has the combat they want.

or the inevitable FFVII remake

Zanasea

inner-G said:
It was a good game, it just wasn't a good Final Fantasy.
This point is so damn stupid. And what is a good Final Fantasy, hmm? No one will ever give you an exact answer to this anyway. You should just admit this is nothing but a matter of personal opinions.

FFXII is an amazing game from top to bottom. I feel sorry for those who didn't have a clue about the story.

neojubei

Zanasea said:
This point is so damn stupid. And what is a good Final Fantasy, hmm? No one will ever give you an exact answer to this anyway. You should just admit this is nothing but a matter of personal opinions.

FFXII is an amazing game from top to bottom. I feel sorry for those who didn't have a clue about the story.

So true.

inner-G

Banned
Zanasea said:
They are personal opinions. All game quality evaluations are subjective.

But collectively, many fans that played the first 10 games were disappointed in the changes they made to the battle flow/interface.

Amir0x

Banned
mr_nothin said:

I don't think it's that they didn't dig into the gambit system.

GAF's general jRPG taste seems to be "less freedom = win!", so it is natural the backlash against FFXII. Handholding and limited but strict character specific classes are the name of the game. But who cares, we'll have a new Final Fantasy game to debate the merits of in a few months decades.

Zanasea said:
This point is so damn stupid. And what is a good Final Fantasy, hmm? No one will ever give you an exact answer to this anyway.

A real FINAL FANTASY game has HEART, FFXII did not have HEART.

Zilch

Banned
inner-G said:

But collectively, many fans that played the first 10 games were disappointed in the changes they made to the battle flow/interface.

That's like saying that FFVII is legitimately bad because it has lots of non-interactive cutscenes, character art by someone who is not Amano, and wasn't released on an Nintendo system.

Sometimes shit just changes, and you have to realize that different does not equal worse.

neojubei

donkey show said:
RAWR!!!

ff7tripleanimalstyle.jpg

Nice pick up. I wish I could have bought it myself but I'm saving my pennies for final fantasy XIII bundle.

Shadow780 said:
But Cloud wouldn't be hawt anymore with a phat ass...D:

Cloud with a phat ass? Yea I'd hit it. Damn now I am thinking donkey show has a phatty.

inner-G

Banned
Zilch said:
That's like saying that FFVII is legitimately bad because it has lots of non-interactive cutscenes, character art by someone who is not Amano, and wasn't released on an Nintendo system.

Sometimes shit just changes, and you have to realize that different does not equal worse.
VII still had the same non-interactive cutscenes, slow battle system, great story, and sense of epicness that I had come to love from the series. And Bugenhagen.

I-X, regardless of platform, artist, director, etc., all had a similar 'feel' to the combat and actual gameplay that the series lost after X. XIII is closer than XI or XII imo, so I'm hoping for the best with it.

Change is not always the best route either, though the FF series has always been pretty innovative for JRPGs. Games like Pokemon and DQ sell extremely well with turn-based systems to this day. I'm glad as hell S-E changed DQIX back before they totally fucked it.

inner-G said:

The thing is FFXII is basically the same battle system of those older games without transisitons to other screens and semi real time.

You say you don't want to just watch the game play itself. Then turn off some gambits and have some do the tedious stuff, that way you still can make it turn based. Theres a lot of ways to actually play XII. You can actually make it to your liking.

The story of FFXII is fine it just needed a little more exposition.

neojubei

Awntawn said:
damn, 1up's japanese game coverage is sheer and utter fail now without shane >.>

Could not agree more. If he did the gameplay commentary I bet he will be bring out some obscure Final Fantasy reference no one would remember but could be applied to the demo.

Awntawn

neojubei said:
Could not agree more. If he did the gameplay commentary I bet he will be bring out some obscure Final Fantasy reference no one would remember but could be applied to the demo.
or he'd get some of the actual facts right

neojubei said:
Cloud with a phat ass? Yea I'd hit it. Damn now I am thinking donkey show has a phatty.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but my ass is small and ti... never mind. :lol

Gah, I wanna open it up already. ;_;

Rahxephon91 said:
The thing is FFXII is basically the same battle system of those older games without transisitons to other screens and semi real time.

You say you don't want to just watch the game play itself. Then turn off some gambits and have some do the tedious stuff, that way you still can make it turn based. Theres a lot of ways to actually play XII. You can actually make it to your liking.

The story of FFXII is fine it just needed a little more exposition.

This is what I never understood. People who complain about gambits can do it the other way as well. Can they just not handle if the good guys are on the right with the bad guys on the left? To much if they are all fighting close together like in a real battle?

mr_nothin

Banned
Amir0x said:
I don't think it's that they didn't dig into the gambit system.

GAF's general jRPG taste seems to be "less freedom = win!", so it is natural the backlash against FFXII. Handholding and limited but strict character specific classes are the name of the game. But who cares, we'll have a new Final Fantasy game to debate the merits of in a few months decades.

A real FINAL FANTASY game has HEART, FFXII did not have HEART.
I agree on both points.
Especially after going through that recent FFXII Afterthoughts thread.
They want to be limited and they want to have each character have a SPECIFIC 'job' and 'role' in the game. So they can just upgrade the characters in that are and that are alone. 1 of the beauty's of FFXII's system was the freedom. Yea you could have everybody be the same thing but you didnt have to. I was able to make my own characters and create my own jobs with them. I could have an all around person even.

Idk...
I was a lover of the old systems and hated FFXII's before I played it but after I played it, I loved it. It made grinding actually FUN because it wasnt a task to grind. I could have the smaller battles somewhat automated and have a little more control over the bigger battles. I loved wandering into areas that I wasnt suppose to be in yet, just to see if my gambit setup would work.

I'll cut my rant off there.

Hobbun

inner-G said:
It was a good game, it just wasn't a good Final Fantasy. I think most of the backlash was that people were hoping for a more traditional game after the big letdown they felt from FF XI.

That's exactly it.

FF XII on it's own is a decent game, but it's not what I had come to know from FF. It would be nice if they went back to a more traditional system. But it seems they want the faster, real time type combat now. Which is disappointing.

Amir0x

Banned
mr_nothin said:
I agree on both points.
They want to be limited and they want to have each character have a SPECIFIC 'job' and 'role' in the game. So they can just upgrade the characters in that are and that are alone. 1 of the beauty's of FFXII's system was the freedom. Yea you could have everybody be the same thing but you didnt have to. I was able to make my own characters and create my own jobs with them. I could have an all around person even.

I mean I guess they did that in FFXII INTERNATIONAL version, but I didn't play that. While I agree with the basic complaints that it was too easy and too quick to master the entire board, I wish all my RPGs would allow the possibility of mastering every last ability and magic for all my characters. I want the option because I like freedom. :SALUTEUSA:

mr_nothin said:
Idk...
I was a lover of the old systems and hated FFXII's before I played it but after I played it, I loved it. It made grinding actually FUN because it wasnt a task to grind. I could have the smaller battles somewhat automated and have a little more control over the bigger battles. I loved wandering into areas that I wasnt suppose to be in yet, just to see if my gambit setup would work.

Yup I loved that in FFXII, I can get rid of all tedious grinding. I could actually have fun exploring dungeons because traveling wasn't a studder-step of crap, transitioning every two seconds into some lame generic battle that takes two seconds to complete and no strategy. In FFXII, gambits not only made buffs/debuffs extremely important (FINALLY), but it made all the basic tedious repetition to the backburner and allowed optimal freedom and tweaking as battles progressed. You COULD at any time "break into" the battle and edit a move if you needed to.

As anything, it wasn't flawless. It needed at least a good dozen more extremely specific gambit types to allow more micromanaging of certain tasks like stealing and then attacking (if enemy has no items, then attack).

But for my money it was the best Final Fantasy yet. People talk about the storyline as if it was bad (it certainly wasn't good!), but I guess they never played a Final Fantasy game yet since they're all unanimously atrocious. Have any of them tried playing through FFVIII today to experience the horror that is its storyline? The endless plotholes and bizarre senseless twists? Or FFVII? Or FFVI? At least FFXII waited until its final few hours to become "yet-another-Final-Fantasy storyline", and had the best localization and voice work of any (non-Paper Mario) jRPG to date.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
donkey show said:
RAWR!!!

ff7tripleanimalstyle.jpg

OMG

need high res pics after unboxing plz! :D~

or make a video for epic hits on yt :lol

neoism

mr_nothin said:
I agree on both points.

Idk...

AGREED 100%, I loved it so much. My favorite RPG ever, and it's mainly because of the battle system! I'm happy and sad that it's going back to the "FFX" way of things, I loved X, I even loved X-2, but they don't hold a candle to XII.

Zeliard

MrDenny said:

Why shouldn't they have? It was wonderfully refreshing and surprisingly versatile. FFXII's battle system was the best thing about the game, other than the art. It worked particularly well in tandem with the large environments. It's not my favorite JRPG ever, but I wouldn't have had the battle system any other way. The extensive freedom it allowed (by JRPG standards) meant it was fairly easy to break, especially later on with the uber weapons, but that comes with the territory and it didn't damage the overall game too much.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
inner-G said:
dude, you were eating off of it!

/end Joe Dirt reference

Bullshit. I hate this excuse

joesmokey

Yet another avatar change for me, I think this one is much better.

I think it's time to pop in Advent Children tonight, impressions seem to be pretty positive on the new release (I liked the original DVD).

Top Bottom