• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

zaidr said:
You have to "really make it" in Liberty City for that...

:lol

zadir speaks the truth.

I swear, the acting in this game is UNPARALLELED in video games. The conversations are so fucking real, so nuanced, I just really can't believe it. I've never played a video game that had this level of verisimilitude in the characters and their interactions. Watching Roman and the secretary just idly chat at the end of a cutscene is just really amazing.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Ok I wonder if this will have consequences later on

(not really a spoiler since it's really early in the game, but here it is anyway)

at one point, you were driving towards Michelle's to pick her up on a date and Roman called because he needed help. I went on the date instead, but later made it up to him by beating up the punks on the yard. So I wonder if there's some 'like-meter' with Roman? If you keep ignoring his pleas for help, will he see you as a betrayer? Or doesn't it work like that?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I keep hearing how the great voice acting is.

Anyone remember the recent convo on one of the 1up podcasts about the reason most acting in games is so bad because the actors record all their lines separately and don't really have any reference on how to act.

Wonder if they got a lot of the main acting done in the traditional, animated film way..

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Darunia said:

(not really a spoiler since it's really early in the game, but here it is anyway)

at one point, you were driving towards Michelle's to pick her up on a date and Roman called because he needed help. I went on the date instead, but later made it up to him by beating up the punks on the yard. So I wonder if there's some 'like-meter' with Roman? If you keep ignoring his pleas for help, will he see you as a betrayer? Or doesn't it work like that?

Bro's before hoes dude.

Phatcorns

This in absolutely no way is trying to say that GTA4 is a bad game or that the hype is undeserved. In fact I think that the hype is deserved and it's going to be a fantastic game.

But... that being said isn't it weird how for so many people certain games are just so ridiculously anticipated and for others they just don't really care? Like I don't even know why, but I'm just not excited about this game. While for certain other games I just go bat shit crazy. It's just really interesting to me.

Anyways, I'm not trying to rain on any parades or troll or anything, I'm just pointing out something that is interesting to me. In fact, I sort of wish I was interested, then I could go to the midnight launch, I always think those are cool. Enjoy guys!

gamerx said:
Electrochoc
DJ: François K
Genre: Electro/Dance
Tracklist:

* Simian Mobile Disco - "Tits & Acid"
* Kavinsky - "Testarossa (Sebastian Remix)"
* Boys Noize - "& Down"
* Justice - "Waters of Nazareth"
game is best game ever

Jtwo said:

Anyone remember the recent convo on one of the 1up podcasts about the reason most acting in games is so bad because the actors record all their lines separately and don't really have any reference on how to act.

Wonder if they got a lot of the main acting done in the traditional, animated film way..

The acting is great, but it's the writing that really makes it shine. It's the fact that they're actually in a game where they can talk about asshole bosses and pussy in a natural way, not in some "ENCLOSED IN THIS DIALOGUE IS THE CLUE TO YOUR NEXT MISSION" kind of bullshit way.

The voices are great, but it's the writing that's the star.

Downhome

For those of you with the game, what do you think of the cover system? Does it feel like it was tacked on, or is it actually well done?

Evlar

Banned
Jtwo said:

... The traditional, animated film way (in the US) is to record dialogue separately. That's the way Pixar, Disney, Dreamworks, and every other studio you can think of records their movie audio. I would be shocked if they used a group recording session format.

Darunia said:

I actually LOVE how the interstitial dialogue is SO context specific.

You actually explain to her that you were helping Roman with some thugs.

I was worrying the same thing you were.

besada

Banned
Evlar said:
... The traditional, animated film way (in the US) is to record dialogue separately. That's the way Pixar, Disney, Dreamworks, and every other studio you can think of records their movie audio. I would be shocked if they used a group recording session format.

Actually, I watched the Pixar story documentary the other night and they showed Hanks and Allen in the same room doing their lines from Toy Story together.

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
Downhome said:
For those of you with the game, what do you think of the cover system? Does it feel like it was tacked on, or is it actually well done?
Professional reviews said its well done.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Evlar said:

*queues stock footage from every disney dvd* :lol

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
BenjaminBirdie said:
I actually LOVE how the interstitial dialogue is SO context specific.

You actually explain to her that you were helping Roman with some thugs.

I was worrying the same thing you were.

oh wow that's awesome. I had to
explain the situation to Roman and in the end he said it was all right and that I'd better seen her titties to make it worth it :lol

so much difference in the missions, even early on. this is going to be amazing

Xdrive05 said:
Every store is different. For mine you get a "number" (ticket) when you present your paid-in-full receipt. Then when they start letting people in you just go in and pick it up then leave.

We had to pay off the copy and we got a reciept to bring back later to get the game. Basically we bought the game but didn't get it. Cool!

All of the dudes there were very white but saying stuff like "Dawg" and "I'm going to gat som dudez." Don't forget the hat that's not really on your head style. I felt really out of place.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Is there a midnight launch going on for GTA 4?

Just got back from picking up dinner from Applebee's and while driving my way out I noticed a bunch of youths loitering outside of a nearby Gamestop. I wanted to ask but I thought it would be better to just keep driving.

Gahiggidy said:
Just got back from picking up dinner from Applebee's and while driving my way out I noticed a bunch of youths loitering outside of a nearby Gamestop. I wanted to ask but I thought it would be better to just keep driving.

Were they ruffians?

Pakman

BenjaminBirdie said:
I have naught but the utmost respect for the Live Community, you know that. His tag was something like 360 GTA VI Fan (seriously). He's the fuck. Not my good friends on Live. Anyone trying to cast aspersions on the whole community because this one douche is just as dumb as he is.

Whoa, I know there's a huge PS3 vs 360 fanboy war going on over GTAIV, but my live post wasn't meant to put 360 fans on the defensive. I'm a huge 360 fan but I feel like I have run into more douchebags on live than cool ones. I never bother playing most of my multiplayer games unless my friends are on.

Yeah I know the majority of the userbase isn't like this - but it seems the select few who are idiots go above and beyond - which makes it seem like it's a lot more people than it is.

Every community has it's idiots. It's not just live. But live was basically the first to allow a massive online userbase to communicate over mics. It's easier to ignore the racist/annoying remarks when people are typing it in a game. It's harder to ignore people who yell it into the mics. Yeah I know there's a mute - but it's a bit annoying when you sometimes have to mute 3 people in a team based game.

ahhh....i cant decide which version to get!!! I want to get ps3 for performance and i like the DS3 better but all my friends are gonna be playing online on live!!!! What to do!!!!! :(

Pakman

AlxRymnd914 said:
ahhh....i cant decide which version to get!!! I want to get ps3 for performance and i like the DS3 better but all my friends are gonna be playing online on live!!!! What to do!!!!! :(

Friends > small pop-in/performance issues.

AlxRymnd914 said:
As a PS3 owner I'd say get it for 360. Play with your friends.

AlxRymnd914 said:
Don't buckle to peer pressure!

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
gregor7777 said:
Were they ruffians?
I don't know but they sure didn't look like the same people you see waiting around for Wii shipments.

calder

I'm going in two hours, so why am I reading this thread and potentially exposing myself to spoilers? Because I'm an idiot mainly.

Two hours, wooo. My mom is dropping some stuff off at my place tomorrow (she works very close to my apartment) and she asked if she could drop it off at 7:30am, if I could get up then to meet her on my day off. I told her I would still up be up at 7:30, she said 'what' and I said I could be up at 7:30. I think "no sleep till Broker" will be my motto tonight.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I'm stoked, Planning on going down to the store to get mine. Just finished watching Gravitation as a hype...Don't ask me how it works. It just pumps me up ^_^

calder said:
I'm going in two hours, so why am I reading this thread and potentially exposing myself to spoilers? Because I'm an idiot mainly.

Two hours, wooo. My mom is dropping some stuff off at my place tomorrow (she works very close to my apartment) and she asked if she could drop it off at 7:30am, if I could get up then to meet her on my day off. I told her I would still up be up at 7:30, she said 'what' and I said I could be up at 7:30. I think "no sleep till Broker" will be my motto tonight.
:lol @ "No Sleep Til Broker"

I gotta steal that one. >.<

So I was honestly a little bit wavery on if the game really exceeded the hype and was truly the best game ever.

Then, this happened:

[First Roman Social Call/Non-Mission]

I went to the Steinway Beer Garden with Roman, just to hang out. We get schloshed and finally after hilariously bellowing for cabs, get one, and I sit in the back seat and watch as we drive (a fair ways) back to Hove Beach. The sun is rising, it's grey dawnlight. It totally feels like when you spend all night drinking and it's dawn. So I drop off Roman and we part ways.

Meanwhile, I still Roman's car parked in front of my apartment and it had been bugging me, because I didn't want to take it on missions and get it fucked up. So I got in, and searched for about twenty minutes for the Car Service, making my way through Hove Beach, Firefly Island, that whole area, up and down, until I found it.

It was the realest twenty minutes I've ever spent in a videogame. This is what I hadn't yet experienced. I had some cool missions and went on a date, but I didn't really achieve that experience I had really been hoping for. Not until that moment.

VALIS

15 minutes until I go stand on line. If you have it handy, someone give me a youtube link to the best gameplay clip you've seen yet, I want to send my internal hype meter into "frothing" territory.

VALIS said:
15 minutes until I go stand on line. If you have it handy, someone give me a youtube link to the best gameplay clip you've seen yet, I want to send my internal hype meter into "frothing" territory.

Just read what I just wrote. Trust me. It'll do the trick.

...anyone else here compelled just to always wear it and not even bother with buying other outfits in there first play-through?....I mean, I love it so :D

AgentOtaku said:
...anyone else here compelled just to always wear it and not even bother with buying other outfits in there first play-through?....I mean, I love it so :D

You can't for certain missions, but I've already changed back into it. I love it. It really is instantly iconic.

newsguy

The time has come friends. Off to get my copy at midnight. It's been good times with you guys, and hopefully we can hang around here and share our "wow" moments, which of course will be plentiful. *rides off into darkness playing 1979*

Treo360

AgentOtaku said:

NO.

That being said go to Perseus or Modo the first chance you get.

VALIS

BenjaminBirdie said:
Just read what I just wrote. Trust me. It'll do the trick.

That does sound awesome. Is that beer garden modeled off the Bohemian Beer Garden in Queens by any chance?

Top Bottom