• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

bishoptl said:
That depends on where you live.

Inner city of one of the 10 most populous cities in the US. I know this store is also taking the Mall store's orders because I asked them and they said this was the store in my area doing a midnight release. So it's two GS's worth of orders. I'm expecting only 100 maybe 200 people. *crosses fingers*

Can anyone who's played the game comment on the accuracy of the scale in this map ?
I don't think it's a spoiler. The main GTA website had a layout of the islands.

gtamapcomparisonpv5.gif

Zyzyxxz said:
Should I go a little early? I live near a university so Im sure there are plenty of gamers nearby

I'm thinking I'd rather get it 10-20 minutes later than everyone else and not have to stand in line for an hour or two.

Zamoto

Anyone who has played the PS3 version online tell me how the lag is? Not having to reboot my live subscription would make it a lot easier for me to make a decision on which version to pick up.

kbear

Nitsuj23 said:
The online part is supposed to be really good. In terms of load times the PS3 is only 2-4 secs faster, according to the IGN head-to-head video.
Yeah, it sounds great.. 15 modes just came out of nowhere. I hope it's as good as it sounds.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Zamoto said:
Anyone who has played the PS3 version online tell me how the lag is? Not having to reboot my live subscription would make it a lot easier for me to make a decision on which version to pick up.

I'll let you know tomorrow afternoon.

Loudninja said:
No Circuit city :D

Are they offering anything extra with the game.

Oh and does anyone know where I can buy GTA4 posters, hopefully framed.

I queued up for an hour at Asda to get a copy. There was probably 100-150 people there.

Played for nearly 5 hours now, need sleep. But it's good. I still don't feel comfortable with the combat but Niko is such an amazingly awesome character.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Am I the only one who can't wait for the next GTA? Looking at the difference between 3/Vice City/San Andreas. I can't wait to see what they add for the next one this gen.

neojubei

Loudninja said:

Good god the PS3 versions are sold out and i suppose the 360 version will be hard to find in stores.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/Sear...eft+Auto+IV+&searchSection=All&go.x=19&go.y=3

UncleGuito said:
I know Best Buy's preorders come with a GTA4 poster- according to their site, you can buy them separately for $5.

Thanks but I was thinking of a bigger poster that I can frame. The Lollipop girl is the one I want. I guess I'll go to kinkos and see about printing a high res poster then try and find a place to frame it.

Blablurn

Thank good May 1st ist a holiday in germany. This game is soo damn good. it's fucking awesome!

And you know what, Niko is fantastic. One of the best videogame characters ever!

Has there been anything said about whether the game lets you save replays? I can imagine just going on a huge rampage and then wanting to watch all the havok I just caused in slow motion. :lol

neojubei

Ganondorf>Link said:
Has there been anything said about whether the game lets you save replays? I can imagine just going on a huge rampage and then wanting to watch all the havok I just caused in slow motion. :lol

Nope, hopefully Rockstar looks into patching this feature into the game soon.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Death Dealer said:
Can anyone who's played the game comment on the accuracy of the scale in this map ?
I don't think it's a spoiler. The main GTA website had a layout of the islands.

gtamapcomparisonpv5.gif
I'd say it's roughly a true comparison image. It takes 5 minutes or so sometimes to get from the south island up to the north east island, and that includes a "highway" of sorts to cross the bridge and pay the fare.

But then you have to couple in the fact that you literally have to slow down and take corners. Your handbrake corners work no longer.

Zyzyxxz

SoulPlaya said:
Am I the only one who can't wait for the next GTA? Looking at the difference between 3/Vice City/San Andreas. I can't wait to see what they add for the next one this gen.

lol you and everyone else who hasnt gotten it yet.

For the next two hours I will be studying for a midterm tomorrow and then I will go pick it up

Salazar

SoulPlaya said:

Yes, it will be good, but GTAIV CAME OUT THIS MORNING. It's not exactly seconds from obsolescence.

Jtrizzy

I totally forgot about the 7 minute install! Thank god I got the ticket for early pick up there was a line around the block of people who pre ordered but didn't get a ticket to avoid the line.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Blockbuster gives you a framed picture with it. :lol

I'll be on XBL (GT: Fahrenhype) in a few minutes.

I was told on 2 seperate occasions by 2 different EB games employees they would be doing a midnight launch, yet the place is abandonned with less than 2 hours left to go.

I will be checking again later, but if i have to wait until they open at 10 tomorrow to get my copy, i will bust some fucking heads. I will probably buy a copy from walmart tomorrow morning when they open, go to EB later in the day and start knocking over magazine racks until i get my money back.

Tobor

I just strolled in and out of Blockbuster in 10 minutes while getting a text from a friend who says there are a hundred dudes over at the college Gamestop. Blockbuster FTW.

I also got this weird framed picture:

photo-3.jpg

Off to play!

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Tobor said:
I just strolled in and out of Blockbuster in 10 minutes while getting a text from a friend who says there are a hundred dudes over at the college Gamestop. Blockbuster FTW.

I also got this weird framed picture:

photo-3.jpg

Off to play!

Yeah there was barely anyone at the Blockbuster I went to. Got there and had the game in my hands right after midnight.

C4Lukins

SIP YEK NOD said:
I was told on 2 seperate occasions by 2 different EB games employees they would be doing a midnight launch, yet the place is abandonned with less than 2 hours left to go.

I will be checking again later, but if i have to wait until they open at 10 tomorrow to get my copy, i will bust some fucking heads. I will probably buy a copy from walmart tomorrow morning when they open, go to EB later in the day and start knocking over magazine racks until i get my money back.

People will not typically start lining up until a half hour beforehand. For the Halo3 launch I was probably 50th in line and I showed up right before midnight, and it still only took about 10 minutes to get through the line. They had everyone come in beforehand to finish paying off the game, and after midnight it probably only took about 10 minutes before I got the game in hand. Of course this was an off the beaten path Gamestop. There is really no reason to lineup more then an hour beforehand.

C4Lukins said:
People will not typically start lining up until a half hour beforehand. For the Halo3 launch I was probably 50th in line and I showed up right before midnight, and it still only took about 10 minutes to get through the line. They had everyone come in beforehand to finish paying off the game, and after midnight it probably only took about 10 minutes before I got the game in hand. Of course this was an off the beaten path Gamestop.

Whereas this is THE single store in a city of ~100k having a "midnight launch", there were about 10 people in line by 8 for the halo 3 launch, and there were employees in the store then. now it looks deserted. no vehicles in the parking lot, nobody lining up.

maybe i am just being paranoid.

Has anybody been murdered as a result of this game yet? It's been out 34 minutes, surely there should have been some copycat violence by now.

joesmokey

Just picked it up at Meijer, only about 15 people ahead of me. Going to non-standard places definitely pays off!

Picked up the last copy of the PS3 limited edition too. Didn't plan on it, but it was just sitting there...

Edit: Lol installing really kills anticipation.

add me on PSN: joesmokey

C4Lukins

SIP YEK NOD said:
Whereas this is THE single store in a city of ~100k having a "midnight launch", there were about 10 people in line by 8 for the halo 3 launch, and there were employees in the store then. now it looks deserted. no vehicles in the parking lot, nobody lining up.

maybe i am just being paranoid.

I hope so. That would really suck.

C4Lukins said:
People will not typically start lining up until a half hour beforehand. For the Halo3 launch I was probably 50th in line and I showed up right before midnight, and it still only took about 10 minutes to get through the line. They had everyone come in beforehand to finish paying off the game, and after midnight it probably only took about 10 minutes before I got the game in hand. Of course this was an off the beaten path Gamestop. There is really no reason to lineup more then an hour beforehand.

Sounds like you lucked out on the Halo 3 midnight launch wait time. The Gamestop I reserved at had hundreds of people lined up well before an hour to go.

Top Bottom