• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

Yoboman

SIP YEK NOD said:
10 from gamespot australia, do they scores between there and north america? because the score isn't up yet here :(
No that's Gamespot US, the au is just there by default on nearly all gaming sites

VALIS said:
That does sound awesome. Is that beer garden modeled off the Bohemian Beer Garden in Queens by any chance?

The very same. It's identical, down to the wooden plank entryway and the tables and chairs in the courtyard. It's brilliant. It's even got the bar next door.

Treo360

BenjaminBirdie said:
So I was honestly a little bit wavery on if the game really exceeded the hype and was truly the best game ever.

Then, this happened:

[First Roman Social Call/Non-Mission]

I went to the Steinway Beer Garden with Roman, just to hang out. We get schloshed and finally after hilariously bellowing for cabs, get one, and I sit in the back seat and watch as we drive (a fair ways) back to Hove Beach. The sun is rising, it's grey dawnlight. It totally feels like when you spend all night drinking and it's dawn. So I drop off Roman and we part ways.

Meanwhile, I still Roman's car parked in front of my apartment and it had been bugging me, because I didn't want to take it on missions and get it fucked up. So I got in, and searched for about twenty minutes for the Car Service, making my way through Hove Beach, Firefly Island, that whole area, up and down, until I found it.

It was the realest twenty minutes I've ever spent in a videogame. This is what I hadn't yet experienced. I had some cool missions and went on a date, but I didn't really achieve that experience I had really been hoping for. Not until that moment.

Haha, I did the same, though I felt stupid when I found it. It was practically right around the corner.

Treo360 said:
Haha, I did the same, though I felt stupid when I found it. It was practically right around the corner.

It was just such a real thing.

"I fucking KNOW it's around here somewhere. I made a left when I dropped off...DAMN it there's no fucking elevated sign, these streets are a disaster, FUCKING MOVE, BUDDY."

Pakman said:
Friends > small pop-in/performance issues.

but theres one other thing....my power brick broke awhile back and microsoft wants me to pay $80 to get a new one. recently i have been using my friends powerbrick because his 360 red ringed but now microsoft sent him a box for it so ill have to give it back. So idk

Treo360

BenjaminBirdie said:
It was just such a real thing.

"I fucking KNOW it's around here somewhere. I made a left when I dropped off...DAMN it there's no fucking elevated sign, these streets are a disaster, FUCKING MOVE, BUDDY."

Ben, just wait until they open the bridges up buddy. You just wait.

Nitsuj23

I'm getting the 360 version from Gamestop, but I just want to know if the thing red rings on my some time this week from excessive play, do you think I could just go trade it in for the PS3 version while the 360 is out for repairs?

Zyzyxxz

3 hours until I can pick it up from Gamestop.

Should I go a little early? I live near a university so Im sure there are plenty of gamers nearby

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
I have a PS3 and my roommate has a 360, both hooked up to the same TV. We're both getting this game tomorrow.

This will get very messy.

To those who may have obtained the SE version of the game, is the copy of GTA IV in the package identical to the regular version/is it UPC equipped?

The reason why I'm asking is because the SE will be shipped to me tomorrow and it'll take a week to get here, but I'm thinking of possibly buying a regular version of the game, then returning the sealed SE copy when it arrives next week.

Treo360

Nitsuj23 said:
I'm getting the 360 version from Gamestop, but I just want to know if the thing red rings on my some time this week from excessive play, do you think I could just go trade it in for the PS3 version while the 360 is out for repairs?

Seriously? dude just play the damned thing, I've played once for 6 hours straight (hurray for girls night out!) and with me being off for school I played it today for another 6 straight. No rrod

I am gonna pick up the PS3 version tomorrow, but one thing I have been wondering about since that whole comparison thread is how I can tell if my TV is properly calibrated. I have a 32 inch Sony XBR4, just curious to see if there are any guides to this or something.

Well that clinches it. Time to make a harsh, over-the-top, yet likely true statement.

If you're not buying Grand Theft Auto IV this week, you're not a gamer.

Nitsuj23

Treo360 said:
Seriously? dude just play the damned thing, I've played once for 6 hours straight (hurray for girls night out!) and with me being off for school I played it today for another 6 straight. No rrod

Lol i know I'm just saying. My ol' 360 is from launch and shes done me good so far, but its startin to get noisy and the disc drive seems a little louder than it used to be. I just wanna make sure i'm covered lol

QuickKick89 said:
Well that clinches it. Time to make a harsh, over-the-top, yet likely true statement.

If you're not buying Grand Theft Auto IV tomorrow, you're not a gamer.
Fuck YOU! I am totally buying it, I just can't buy it this week because I'm stuck working away from home with no access to console goodness.

dfyb

Banned
BobsRevenge said:
I have a PS3 and my roommate has a 360, both hooked up to the same TV. We're both getting this game tomorrow.

This will get very messy.
take a towel out of your bathroom and...

Can anyone give me advice on when to arrive for the midnight release ? The clerk told me he wouldn't lie, there would be a line. But they're only checking receipts so it should move fast. I'd prefer not to wait at all. 12:15 ?

kbear

Hey, I haven't been at GAF or really anywhere online for a couple months..long story, anyway I was going to post this in the other thread but it got archived and moved. I'm having trouble deciding which version to get. One big factor for me is the Xbox Live community feel and integration. Whenever I'm on my PS3, I just feel detached... that community feel is nonexistent for the most part (lack of in-game xmb is a big reason why), so I was thinking of getting it for the 360 due to the multi-player. Has anyone played it online yet? How is it? Is it something you think will have some longevity or a more novelty feel that people will get bored with quick? If the latter then I'll just get it on the PS3 for the faster load times and stuff.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
dfyb said:
take a towel out of your bathroom and...
Realistically what I'm hoping for is that the 360 version is sold out. Small college town, so not a lot of PS3s.

Nitsuj23

kbear said:
Hey, I haven't been at GAF or really anywhere online for a couple months..long story, anyway I was going to post this in the other thread but it got archived and moved. I'm having trouble deciding which version to get. One big factor for me is the Xbox Live community feel and integration. Whenever I'm on my PS3, I just feel detached... that community feel is nonexistent for the most part (lack of in-game xmb is a big reason why), so I was thinking of getting it for the 360 due to the multi-player. Has anyone played it online yet? How is it? Is it something you think will have some longevity or a more novelty feel that people will get bored with quick? If the latter then I'll just get it on the PS3 for the faster load times and stuff.

The online part is supposed to be really good. In terms of load times the PS3 is only 2-4 secs faster, according to the IGN head-to-head video.

Apparently Gamespot had this up, took it down and then put their "10" review up:

gta95vt5.jpg

Top Bottom