• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

Tim-E

Dot50Cal said:
I am, Just waiting to hear from bish before I start posting pics of both versions.

How about talking about how awesome the game is instead of comparing? It's a fantastic game regardless of which console you're playing it on. It doesn't sound like you want to have fun with the game, you just want to continue this meaningless console wars bullshit.

DeadCell

DID ANYONE GO TO THE FUTURESHOP IN NEWMARKET? Cause I did. :)

There was someone from Global News filming us so I dry humped my girlfriend.

Evlar

Banned
Looks to be ~150 people at the closest Gamespot (one of three in the local mall). I drove past, will go back in ten minutes or so.

LordK

Dot50Cal said:
Does anyone elses disc drive make horrible noises, like its scratching the disc?? I'm getting worried here.

I can hear my ps3 make disc noises, but they aren't horrible and seem very normal. My 360 on the other hand sounds like it's ripping my dvds a new asshole.

Halvie

Banned
Did anyone pick this up who didn't really care for any of the previous GTAs? Going to buy this even though I didn't care for any of the others. Hoping this one is better....sure looks like it is.

Dot50Cal

Banned
Gary Whitta said:
Ugh I forgot about my 360 sounding like a Hoover. Can anyone say if it sounds as bad as Mass Effect? That was a fucking nightmare.

I never heard my 360 sound as loud as it does on this. Certain parts it sounds like its shredding the disc.

chespace said:
Played for a couple hours before I went home (from the office).

I'll play some more tonight after wining and dining with wife.

So far, this game goes beyond words. It's not just the sum of its excellent gunplay, car physics, graphics, voice acting, etc. It is just so amazing in its attention to detail. The city is truly remarkable and organic and very interesting.

Here are 2 things that really blew me away:

1). Once, I tried to jack a car and it didn't go so well. I pulled the guy out of his car before the cops got there and jumped in. As I tried to drive away, he pulled me back out of the car and wanted to fight me. Before I could land a punch, he clocked me pretty hard and I stumbled back without a chance to retaliate. Luckily the cop turned the corner right as he hit me and before I knew it, the cop was running up to the driver and arrested him for punching me! The driver actually went into the patrol car at gunpoint and he drove off with the civilian! Amazing that an AI cop arrested a fellow AI citizen.

2). I randomly stopped some SUV in the road, pulled out my shotgun and pointed it at the driver. The frightened facial expression on the driver was amazing. He threw his hands up and got out of the car, telling me not to blow him away. This is some next level shit.

Another time, I had an AI bum chase me into my apartment because I shoved him. I ended up stabbing him. :(

The melee combat is actually pretty fun thanks to 3 different attack buttons and a melee counter that allows you chain together stylish counterattacks.

We also found a bunch of car hybrids. For instance, a Lexus IS300 mixed with an Audi S4, a Toyota Corolla AE86 Levin, etc. The car models look great in this game and I think the driving physics are really nice. You can actually tell the handling difference between FWD and RWD cars, and there's even weight transfer at work here (which allow for feints to initiate drifts).

Game of the forever confirmed.

Oh, and the bowling minigame is great. So is dating. :p

hey wait a sec.. how'd you get the game? it's not midnight yet! :)

PatzCU

Against all rhyme or reason, I'm going to pick-up my midnight copy in 15 minutes. Work tomorrow is going to succccckkkkkkk.

Flavius

Gary Whitta said:
Ugh I forgot about my 360 sounding like a Hoover. Can anyone say if it sounds as bad as Mass Effect? That was a fucking nightmare.

Don't quote me on this, but I hear it sounds like someone took 20 Dreamcasts simultaneously booting up Sonic Adventure 2, dropped them in a steel garbage can, and then dumped a bunch of screaming kittens on top of them.

theBishop

Banned
Flavius said:
Don't quote me on this, but I hear it sounds like someone took 20 Dreamcasts simultaneously booting up Sonic Adventure 2, dropped them in a steel garbage can, and then dumped a bunch of screaming kittens on top of them.

sounds like the towel trick may have a 2nd purpose :D

DeadCell

DeadCell said:
DID ANYONE GO TO THE FUTURESHOP IN NEWMARKET? Cause I did. :)

There was someone from Global News filming us so I dry humped my girlfriend.
Someone drove past us screaming "Grand Theft Auto sucks!". We all assumed they were waiting to buy the Wii version.

On a totally related side note, my buddy that lined up with me was welcomed home by the RROD.

Poor guy. :(

Dot50Cal said:
I never heard my 360 sound as loud as it does on this. Certain parts it sounds like its shredding the disc.
FUUUUUUUUCCCCCCKKKKKKKK

I'm not willing to give up the DLC. I'm not! But my PS3 is soooo much quieter...

joesmokey

Graphics are pretty amazing given everything going on. During daylight the city looks so awesome with the lighting. Sure there's a lot of aliasing going on (especially his cousin's car), but soaking everything else in the tradeoff is definitely worth it.

Gonna have to dig in more tomorrow, just wanted to play through the first couple of missions. Music is great so far!

Treo360

chespace said:
Played for a couple hours before I went home (from the office).

I'll play some more tonight after wining and dining with wife.

So far, this game goes beyond words. It's not just the sum of its excellent gunplay, car physics, graphics, voice acting, etc. It is just so amazing in its attention to detail. The city is truly remarkable and organic and very interesting.

Here are 2 things that really blew me away:

1). Once, I tried to jack a car and it didn't go so well. I pulled the guy out of his car before the cops got there and jumped in. As I tried to drive away, he pulled me back out of the car and wanted to fight me. Before I could land a punch, he clocked me pretty hard and I stumbled back without a chance to retaliate. Luckily the cop turned the corner right as he hit me and before I knew it, the cop was running up to the driver and arrested him for punching me! The driver actually went into the patrol car at gunpoint and he drove off with the civilian! Amazing that an AI cop arrested a fellow AI citizen.

2). I randomly stopped some SUV in the road, pulled out my shotgun and pointed it at the driver. The frightened facial expression on the driver was amazing. He threw his hands up and got out of the car, telling me not to blow him away. This is some next level shit.

Another time, I had an AI bum chase me into my apartment because I shoved him. I ended up stabbing him. :(

The melee combat is actually pretty fun thanks to 3 different attack buttons and a melee counter that allows you chain together stylish counterattacks.

We also found a bunch of car hybrids. For instance, a Lexus IS300 mixed with an Audi S4, a Toyota Corolla AE86 Levin, etc. The car models look great in this game and I think the driving physics are really nice. You can actually tell the handling difference between FWD and RWD cars, and there's even weight transfer at work here (which allow for feints to initiate drifts).

Game of the forever confirmed.

Oh, and the bowling minigame is great. So is dating. :P

dude just wait.

KGKK

Banned
Just got it boyee!!! Gonna play now, pap pap pap. I was there 1 hour early and after the doors opened, I had to wait almost 40 minutes to get my copy.:lol

theBishop

Banned
Gary Whitta said:
FUUUUUUUUCCCCCCKKKKKKKK

I'm not willing to give up the DLC. I'm not! But my PS3 is soooo much quieter...

when are we going to find out about the DLC anyway? I'll bet by the time its available, you could re-buy the 360 version used for a pittance if its that enticing.

DeadCell said:
Someone drove past us screaming "Grand Theft Auto sucks!". We all assumed they were waiting to buy the Wii version.

On a totally related side note, my buddy that lined up with me was welcomed home by the RROD.

*knocks on wood*

Gary Whitta said:
FUUUUUUUUCCCCCCKKKKKKKK

On the other hand, by the time the DLC is out you can probably get a 360 copy from ebay for under $20

Acid08

Banned
DeadCell said:

Oh man that's horrible. If anything like that happened to me I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to control my rage.

Dot50Cal said:
I am, Just waiting to hear from bish before I start posting pics of both versions.

Does anyone elses disc drive make horrible noises, like its scratching the disc?? I'm getting worried here.
I think you already got your answer for this thread:

bishoptl said:
nooooooo don't do it

Just put it on gamersyde. People who will find it anyway.

------------------

Still couple of hours more to wait.....

kbear

I gotta request some online impressions... death match, free play, cops & robber, whatever modes sound cool. Just give a general feel for it if you can.

The Chef

I can't believe how many of you are already playing. I still an hour and a half :(
I'm thinking I'm going to get a Dualshock 3 tonight too.

theBishop said:
when are we going to find out about the DLC anyway? I'll bet by the time its available, you could re-buy the 360 version used for a pittance if its that enticing.
Hmmm that's not a bad idea. I'd still miss out on achievements... but I gotta tell you, that industrial-grade death whine my 360 made all the way through Mass Effect really detracted from my experience, and I am not letting anything fuck with my enjoyment of GTA4.

Frustration = driving 30 miles (round trip) to buy GTA IV, deciding at the last second to go with the PS3 version rather than the 360 version...and then coming home to find that my PS3 has apparently died (I'm visiting my mom in Va. and brought the console down from NYC, and it powers on and sounds like it's functioning normally, but there's no picture being output. I've tried two different TVs, using HDMI, component and composite cables, and I've had no luck with any of them. I appear to be well and truly SOL).

btkadams

man people are scaring me saying that its gonna be sold out. im going in 40 mins to pick it up from futureshop.. hope the liens not huge. nobody's gone to the midnight launch and not gotten one right? lol that would suck if i waited in a monster line and they ran out.

anddo0

Got mine NYC baby!:D
IMG_1093.jpg

clav

BakedPigeon said:
*knocks on wood*
He had months to prepare.

Seriously, if you haven't had your Xbox 360 serviced, just get it serviced.

It's already been known that 360s without the new heatsink implementations are bound to 3ROL.

andrewjnyc said:
Frustration = driving 30 miles (round trip) to buy GTA IV, deciding at the last second to go with the PS3 version rather than the 360 version...and then coming home to find that my PS3 has apparently died (I'm visiting my mom in Va. and brought the console down from NYC, and it powers on and sounds like it's functioning normally, but there's no picture being output. I've tried two different TVs, using HDMI, component and composite cables, and I've had no luck with any of them. I appear to be well and truly SOL).

It's not dead. That is a common HDMI handshake issue.

Hold down the power button when you turn it on. Keep your finger on it till the picture comes up.

Top Bottom