• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

C4Lukins

BakedPigeon said:
Sounds like you lucked out on the Halo 3 midnight launch wait time. The Gamestop I reserved at had hundreds of people lined up well before an hour to go.

Yeah, we have three Gamestops/ EB's withen a three mile radius and this is the most hidden one.

I am off people. Good luck to everyone, do not get shot or mugged.

joesmokey

The music during install is pretty awesome, but why do they not let me skip past the images when the game is done installing after I've already seen them for 8 minutes, lol.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
What game modes are there plenty of people in? I just tried team death match and it was me and one other guy waiting in the lobby for fives minutes. Guess I'll stick to single player for now.

Tek

The gamestop launch I went to had over 300 people in line. It was insane....oh and the Red Bull people showed up to pass out free red bulls. Guess that was my preorder bonus. Line went quick tho...

Oh and I watched quite a few people walk out and I saw more people with 360 copies than ps3...

* runs *

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
IMAGE_106.jpg

Funny story i went to gamestop to pickup my preorder around 11:45 I was around 30 in line and they were asking people if hey had paid it off. I went in and I had some stuff to trade to the dualshock 3 and the game would not hit my pocket so hard. After all the trading hoopla was done it just turned 12 so the lady behind the desk gave me the game and I did not have to wait in line got the first copy. Pays to be late suckas.

Dot50Cal

Banned
Hey guys, whats going on in this thread?

MdgKXlSqH.jpg

Waiting for mod confirmation before I start posting details. Lemme know if its ok here to do a PROPER comparison.

Dot50Cal said:

MdgKXlSqH.jpg

Waiting for mod confirmation before I start posting details. Lemme know if its ok here to do a PROPER comparison.

Theres a comparison thread you know.....

NolbertoS

Dot50Cal said:

MdgKXlSqH.jpg

I endorse this post.

Edit: I finally gave it too GAF pressure and bought the 360 version too. Don't tell me that I'm a fanboy of one console GAF, as I did my part and will own 2 multi-console version of GTA IV now.

Who really cares about comparisons anyways? We have a fucking amazing game ready to be played by the masses, I for one don't give a flying donkey fuck about what game looks better under a microscope.

Dot50Cal

Banned
BakedPigeon said:
Who really cares about comparisons anyways? We have a fucking amazing game ready to be played by the masses, I for one don't give a flying donkey fuck about what game looks better under a microscope.

People like me, who own both consoles and don't have a preference towards either one and would like the "best" experience :p

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Played for a couple hours before I went home (from the office).

I'll play some more tonight after wining and dining with wife.

So far, this game goes beyond words. It's not just the sum of its excellent gunplay, car physics, graphics, voice acting, etc. It is just so amazing in its attention to detail. The city is truly remarkable and organic and very interesting.

Here are 2 things that really blew me away:

1). Once, I tried to jack a car and it didn't go so well. I pulled the guy out of his car before the cops got there and jumped in. As I tried to drive away, he pulled me back out of the car and wanted to fight me. Before I could land a punch, he clocked me pretty hard and I stumbled back without a chance to retaliate. Luckily the cop turned the corner right as he hit me and before I knew it, the cop was running up to the driver and arrested him for punching me! The driver actually went into the patrol car at gunpoint and he drove off with the civilian! Amazing that an AI cop arrested a fellow AI citizen.

2). I randomly stopped some SUV in the road, pulled out my shotgun and pointed it at the driver. The frightened facial expression on the driver was amazing. He threw his hands up and got out of the car, telling me not to blow him away. This is some next level shit.

Another time, I had an AI bum chase me into my apartment because I shoved him. I ended up stabbing him. :(

The melee combat is actually pretty fun thanks to 3 different attack buttons and a melee counter that allows you chain together stylish counterattacks.

We also found a bunch of car hybrids. For instance, a Lexus IS300 mixed with an Audi S4, a Toyota Corolla AE86 Levin, etc. The car models look great in this game and I think the driving physics are really nice. You can actually tell the handling difference between FWD and RWD cars, and there's even weight transfer at work here (which allow for feints to initiate drifts).

Game of the forever confirmed.

Oh, and the bowling minigame is great. So is dating. :p

Dot50Cal said:
People like me, who own both consoles and don't have a preference towards either one and would like the "best" experience :p

The experience is going to be the same though.... Do you like the ps3 controller of the 360 controller? Problem solved.

So, for you lot that went out and got a copy, hows many copy did it look like the stores had? I feel like a huge idiot for not preordering.

I think I may pick the 360 version up from Blockbuster tomorrow since I don't even know if my PS3 version has shipped out yet. I'll probably try them both out and keep whichever suits me best.

GreekWolf

Dot50Cal said:
Quite a few of us fit into that category.

Let the comparisons begin!

Loudninja

chespace said:

So far, this game goes beyond words. It's not just the sum of its excellent gunplay, car physics, graphics, voice acting, etc. It is just so amazing in its attention to detail. The city is truly remarkable and organic and very interesting.

1). Once, I tried to jack a car and it didn't go so well. I pulled the guy out of his car before the cops got there and jumped in. As I tried to drive away, he pulled me back out of the car and wanted to fight me. Before I could land a punch, he clocked me pretty hard and I stumbled back without a chance to retaliate. Luckily the cop turned the corner right as he hit me and before I knew it, the cop was running up to the driver and arrested him for punching me! The driver actually went into the patrol car at gunpoint and he drove off with the civilian! Amazing that an AI cop arrested a fellow AI citizen.

2). I randomly stopped some SUV in the road, pulled out my shotgun and pointed it at the driver. The frightened facial expression on the driver was amazing. He threw his hands up and got out of the car, telling me not to blow him away. This is some next level shit.

Another time, I had an AI bum chase me into my apartment because I shoved him. I ended up stabbing him. :(

The melee combat is actually pretty fun thanks to 3 different attack buttons and a melee counter that allows you chain together stylish counterattacks.

We also found a bunch of car hybrids. For instance, a Lexus IS300 mixed with an Audi S4, a Toyota Corolla AE86 Levin, etc. The car models look great in this game and I think the driving physics are really nice. You can actually tell the handling difference between FWD and RWD cars, and there's even weight transfer at work here (which allow for feints to initiate drifts).

Woah, that sounds great, hey which version did you get?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
chespace said:

Nice write up. I have something to think about when I go to sleep.

Himuro said:
I can't believe I"m playing this after all this time

:D I bet its an incredible feeling. I have to wait till tomorrow night unfortunately. I think work tomorrow is going to be the longest eight hours of my life.

Dot50Cal

Banned
SoulPlaya said:
Please don't do a comparision. Leave this thread for actual, real discussion of the game.
I am, Just waiting to hear from bish before I start posting pics of both versions.

Does anyone elses disc drive make horrible noises, like its scratching the disc?? I'm getting worried here.

kbear

chespace said:

Good impressions...sounds amazing.

oh my god. this game is amazing. i haven't even played a full hour yet and the fucking OPENING CREDITS blew me away. the direction is astounding.

EDIT: I am absolutely in love with the main character. he's fucking awesome. i cannot wait to see where this game takes me.

Acid08

Banned
UGHGHGHSAGHASDHFHSADF

God I wish I could go to the midnight launch. I hate school so much. Hopefully getting a Dualshock 3 with my copy tomorrow :D

Top Bottom