• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

I was thinking of getting the PS3 version over the 360 tomorrow, but that freezing business frightens me.

The whole "freezes randomly" business is certainly a giant glaring bullet point for anyone who might do a version comparison.

ZeoVGM

Banned
:lol :lol :lol :lol

I'm seriously just watching the TV.

Has anyone see Men's Room yet?

When the gay guy starts talking and rests his hand on the manly guy's leg.. :lol :lol

fse

Loudninja said:
I think it some defective dics out there, perhaps you should go and exchange it.

seems its affecting more ps3s if the official ps3 boards are an indication.

Double D

Has anyone been to the
cabaret?
I'm
on a date with Michelle
and I can't figure out what to do. There is a yellow destination dot inside, but I can't see what the hell I'm supposed to be doing. Anyone?

Update:
Michelle is dead

Fatalah

Guys, I can't figure out how to get to the online multiplayer modes! I picked up the 360 version tonight at Gamestop. I'M LOVING IT!

But please, how do I get online with it?

For those interested here are the cheats:

# Cheat mode

While playing the game, press Up to display Niko's cellphone. Press Up again to access the keypad. Then, enter one of the following codes to activate the corresponding cheat function. Once a code has been entered correctly, a new "Cheats" menu option will be available on your phone, below "Options", where you can access the cheats without having to enter the phone number again. Note: Do not save the game after enabling a code to avoid unforeseen problems. Enabling some cheats may prevent achievements from being earned.

Full health

Dial "3625550100" into the cellphone. Note: This phone number translates to "DOC-555-0100". This code prevents the "Cleaned The Mean Streets", "Finish Him", "One Man Army", and "Walk Free" achievements from being earned.

Full health and ammunition

Dial "4825550100" into the cellphone. Note: This phone number translates to "GTA-555-0100". This code prevents the "Cleaned The Mean Streets" achievement from being earned.

Weapons tier 1

Dial "4865550100" into the cellphone. This will unlock the baseball bat, handgun, shotgun, MP5, M4, sniper rifle, RPG, and grenades. Note: This phone number translates to "GUN-555-0150". This code prevents the "Cleaned The Mean Streets" achievement from being earned.

Weapons tier 2

Dial "4865550150" into the cellphone. This will unlock the knife, Molotov cocktails, handgun, shotgun, Uzi, AK47, sniper rifle, and RPG. Note: This phone number translates to "GUN-555-0100". This code prevents the "Cleaned The Mean Streets" achievement from being earned.

Remove Niko's wanted level

Dial "2675550100" into the cellphone. Note: This phone number translates to "COP-555-0100". This code prevents the "One Man Army" and "Walk Free" achievements from being earned.

Add one star to Niko's wanted level

Dial "2675550150" into the cellphone. Note: This phone number translates to "COP-555-0150".

Spawn Annihilator police helicopter

Dial "3595550100" into the cellphone. Note: This phone number translates to "FLY-555-0100". This code prevents the "One Man Army" and "Walk Free" achievements from being earned.

Spawn Cognoscenti

Dial "2275550142" into the cellphone. Note: This phone number translates to "CAR-555-0142".

Spawn Comet

Dial "2275550175" into the cellphone. Note: This phone number translates to "CAR-555-0175".

Spawn FBI Buffalo

Dial "2275550100" into the cellphone. Note: This phone number translates to "CAR-555-0100".

Spawn Jetmax

Dial "9385550100" into the cellphone. Note: This phone number translates to "WET-555-0100".

Spawn NRG-900

Dial "6255550100" into the cellphone. Note: This phone number translates to "MBK-555-0100".

Spawn Sanchez

Dial "6255550150" into the cellphone. Note: This phone number translates to "MBK-555-0150".

Spawn SuperGT

Dial "2275550168" into the cellphone. Note: This phone number translates to "CAR-555-0168".

Spawn Turismo

Dial "2275550147" into the cellphone. Note: This phone number translates to "CAR-555-0147".

Change weather and brightness

Dial "4685550100" into the cellphone. Note: This phone number translates to "HOT-555-0100".

# Map locations

Enter "www.whattheydonotwantyoutoknow.com" into the in-game computers to view maps that reveal all weapon, health, armor, vehicle, pigeon, ramp/stunt, and entertainment locations.
# Easy money

Go to an ATM, then cause a traffic jam to the area. Wait for someone to take money from the ATM, then kill him or her. Make sure to block any nearby roads so the ambulance cannot get to the murdered victim. Take the money they dropped on the ground. Then, run a short distance away, and go back. The money should have respawned on the ground. You can repeat this as many times as desired. You can also kill more people taking their money from the ATM to increase the amount of money that respawns. -From: Khairol161
# Repairing engine

If the vehicle you are driving breaks down and the engine will not start, call 911, and your engine should start again.
# Fast travel

To avoid wasting time driving all the way across the city, call a taxi. They will take you to your destination for your mission, stores, safehouses, or even a waypoint marker. You can skip through the taxi ride, allowing you to travel across the entire city in about ten seconds. This can also be done during missions.
# Easy headshots

It is sometimes difficult to get headshots, which do count. With some practice, doing the following is an easy way to get headshots. Press [Auto-Aim], then use the Right Analog-stick to move the auto-aim target around your victim's body. Barely move the Right Analog-stick as you are shooting. This puts bullets in the chest and head, and results in an easy instant kill.
# Getting away from police

When running away from the cops, you will have a circular area in which they look for you. However, if you get out and another cop sees you, it changes. To use this to your advantage, barely get out of that circle, which you will see on your radar. Then, just sit there for about five seconds instead of flooring past it.
# Regaining health during missions

You can leave the mission area and go to a Cluckin' Bell, hotdog stand, etc. and eat food to replenish your health if you are low and cannot find a health pack. This is especially useful on missions where there are no health packs in sight. Note: You can also take a taxi to those locations during missions.
# Avoiding toll booths

Drive through any toll booth with any emergency vehicle with the sirens on. The booth attendant will open the gate, and you will save $5.
# $100 for all ringtones and themes

After getting the phone from Playboy X, go to the nearest Internet cafe. Buy all of the ringtones and themes from the ringtones site. Log out of the computer, and you will notice that you only paid $100 for all ringtones and themes.

nofi

Fatalah said:
Guys, I can't figure out how to get to the online multiplayer modes! I picked up the 360 version tonight at Gamestop. I'M LOVING IT!

Use the phone. Select 'multiplayer'.

Edit: :lol

bran

Fatalah said:
I still can't figure out the menus to get myself online with the 360 version. Help!

UPDATE:

HOLY CRAP THE CELL PHONE!!!!

Use your cellphone dude?

EDIT: shoulda probably read faster

AgentOtaku said:
wha?

I thought driving/shooting is mapped in L2/R2 triggers in "standard" mode

...kinda silly to hear that view doesn't stay put and recenters behind niko, but will get used to it

my bad meant l2/r2

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Fatalah said:

I have not had much luck getting into games until I did free mode. It's fucking hilarious. A bunch of people were just standing around talking through headsets and somebody came and ran them over. :lol

If the rest of the modes are this fun I might be done with COD4.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Doesn't seem like there's any widespread problems with the 360 version.

I feel safe in picking it up tomorrow then. :D

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Mooreberg said:
I have not had much luck getting into games until I did free mode. It's fucking hilarious. A bunch of people were just standing around talking through headsets and somebody came and ran them over. :lol

:lol That sounds fucking awesome

Vik_Vaughn said:
Has anyone been to the
cabaret?
I'm
on a date with Michelle
and I can't figure out what to do. There is a yellow destination dot inside, but I can't see what the hell I'm supposed to be doing. Anyone?

I took her bowling and then I took her to shoot some pool and then I hit that shit

How do I play online? I can only see the stats?

purg3

slept with Malkin
Can you complete all of the side missions/races after the main story is complete? I never finished a GTA game so I'm not sure if you could in the previous ones. I want to get the 30hr achievement, but also get the 100% as well.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
My ps3 version works great. I decided to go with the ps3 version and dualshock over the 360 version decision seems good so far.

purg3 said:
Can you complete all of the side missions/races after the main story is complete? I never finished a GTA game so I'm not sure if you could in the previous ones. I want to get the 30hr achievement, but also get the 100% as well.

Yes (in the previous GTAs)

If anyone is interested in having some Live matches feel free to add me. I'm playing right now with two other people.

My gamer tag is IamMattFox.

M3wThr33

Banned
Back from Blockbuster.
I'm sure this beats any poster or T-Shirt.
mtr1u9.jpg

Dante

Got it! Wooooo!

Installing now, gonna go prepare a cocktail to enjoy with my GTAIV

I napped earlier so I am ready for a night of total debauchery.

VALIS

About saving in this game... are those auto saves after missions good enough where you can shut the game off and resume where you left off later or do you have to go to your apartment/safe house and save there to be sure? I looked in the manual but the manual... isn't actually a manual. :lol

clav

VALIS said:
About saving in this game... are those auto saves after missions good enough where you can shut the game off and resume where you left off later or do you have to go to your apartment/safe house and save there to be sure? I looked in the manual but the manual... isn't actually a manual. :lol
Yes. Though, if your clock resets for the 360 version, you may have to manually reload the right save state because of the time is messed up.

That is, if you unplug your 360 from the wall, and plug it back in for some reason.

nofi

VALIS said:

Seems like the Auto Saves go into 'slot 0' if you will. I always head back to the safehouse and do a 'proper' save just to make sure, but the PS3 shows two distinct saves so I guess it's OK. Just watch what the screen says when you save about overwriting, and make sure you're overwriting the right save...

people on other boards are saying the game is a turd. that the graphics are awful, with the worst jaggies in a next-gen game, awful textures, pop-in, constant loading, and that the controls are bad. would be kind of amazing if true...a $100 million dollar game that has received 10's across the board from reviewers is actually a huge messy disappointment.

nofi

laceystorm said:
people on other boards are saying the game is a turd. that the graphics are awful, with the worst jaggies in a next-gen game, awful textures, pop-in, constant loading, and that the controls are bad. would be kind of amazing if true...a $100 million dollar game that has received 10's across the board from reviewers is actually a huge messy disappointment.

LIST THEM HERE.

Loudninja

laceystorm said:

What boards?

clav

laceystorm said:
The game is initially disappointing to be honest.

You have to just keep playing and indulge in the voice acting/scenes/changes made in the game to finally appreciate it.

I started laughing and enjoying it after about 1-2 hours in.

Top Bottom