• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

laceystorm said:
people on other boards are saying the game is a turd. that the graphics are awful, with the worst jaggies in a next-gen game, awful textures, pop-in, constant loading, and that the controls are bad. would be kind of amazing if true...a $100 million dollar game that has received 10's across the board from reviewers is actually a huge messy disappointment.

Oh, you visit the laceystormisatard boards as well?

deejay8595

my posts are "MEH"
This is a question im posing to all of you...

How the hell do you start a game mode such as deathmeatch/teamdeath match/ hangmans noose with only the guys you want in the room?

I tried but haven't found out how. I was able to set up the room with the limit of 6 people but when it was created I saw about 10 random mfers come in. I had the option to kick people but it seemed as if it wasn't working.

Anyone try it?

besada

Banned
20 people at the local Gamestop waiting. Got home with it about forty minutes after midnight. Put it in and immediately got an invite to play online.

Played single player for a few missions plus some screwing around, then hopped online with MMarsu where we engaged in heinous destruction of the innocent and cops alike. We jumped out of helicopters, ran over each other, and I climbed into his car on fire and made a speedy fireball for a few seconds before I burned to death.

Game is fantastic. Great job, Rockstar.

Why does the packaging and disc for the 360 version only say "Live" on it as opposed to the "Xbox Live" you see on the top right of the case and disc?

There were maybe 100 people at the EB games, got mine and was back here by 12:45.

immediately bombarded on XBL and MSN. this game kicks so much ass

TheKingOfSheep said:
For those interested here are the cheats:

# Cheat mode

While playing the game, press Up to display Niko's cellphone. Press Up again to access the keypad. Then, enter one of the following codes to activate the corresponding cheat function. Once a code has been entered correctly, a new "Cheats" menu option will be available on your phone, below "Options", where you can access the cheats without having to enter the phone number again. Note: Do not save the game after enabling a code to avoid unforeseen problems. Enabling some cheats may prevent achievements from being earned.

Full health

Dial "3625550100" into the cellphone. Note: This phone number translates to "DOC-555-0100". This code prevents the "Cleaned The Mean Streets", "Finish Him", "One Man Army", and "Walk Free" achievements from being earned.

Full health and ammunition

Dial "4825550100" into the cellphone. Note: This phone number translates to "GTA-555-0100". This code prevents the "Cleaned The Mean Streets" achievement from being earned.

Weapons tier 1

Dial "4865550100" into the cellphone. This will unlock the baseball bat, handgun, shotgun, MP5, M4, sniper rifle, RPG, and grenades. Note: This phone number translates to "GUN-555-0150". This code prevents the "Cleaned The Mean Streets" achievement from being earned.

Weapons tier 2

Dial "4865550150" into the cellphone. This will unlock the knife, Molotov cocktails, handgun, shotgun, Uzi, AK47, sniper rifle, and RPG. Note: This phone number translates to "GUN-555-0100". This code prevents the "Cleaned The Mean Streets" achievement from being earned.

Remove Niko's wanted level

Dial "2675550100" into the cellphone. Note: This phone number translates to "COP-555-0100". This code prevents the "One Man Army" and "Walk Free" achievements from being earned.

Add one star to Niko's wanted level

Dial "2675550150" into the cellphone. Note: This phone number translates to "COP-555-0150".

Spawn Annihilator police helicopter

Dial "3595550100" into the cellphone. Note: This phone number translates to "FLY-555-0100". This code prevents the "One Man Army" and "Walk Free" achievements from being earned.

Spawn Cognoscenti

Dial "2275550142" into the cellphone. Note: This phone number translates to "CAR-555-0142".

Spawn Comet

Dial "2275550175" into the cellphone. Note: This phone number translates to "CAR-555-0175".

Spawn FBI Buffalo

Dial "2275550100" into the cellphone. Note: This phone number translates to "CAR-555-0100".

Spawn Jetmax

Dial "9385550100" into the cellphone. Note: This phone number translates to "WET-555-0100".

Spawn NRG-900

Dial "6255550100" into the cellphone. Note: This phone number translates to "MBK-555-0100".

Spawn Sanchez

Dial "6255550150" into the cellphone. Note: This phone number translates to "MBK-555-0150".

Spawn SuperGT

Dial "2275550168" into the cellphone. Note: This phone number translates to "CAR-555-0168".

Spawn Turismo

Dial "2275550147" into the cellphone. Note: This phone number translates to "CAR-555-0147".

Change weather and brightness

Dial "4685550100" into the cellphone. Note: This phone number translates to "HOT-555-0100".

# Map locations

Enter "www.whattheydonotwantyoutoknow.com" into the in-game computers to view maps that reveal all weapon, health, armor, vehicle, pigeon, ramp/stunt, and entertainment locations.
# Easy money

Go to an ATM, then cause a traffic jam to the area. Wait for someone to take money from the ATM, then kill him or her. Make sure to block any nearby roads so the ambulance cannot get to the murdered victim. Take the money they dropped on the ground. Then, run a short distance away, and go back. The money should have respawned on the ground. You can repeat this as many times as desired. You can also kill more people taking their money from the ATM to increase the amount of money that respawns. -From: Khairol161
# Repairing engine

If the vehicle you are driving breaks down and the engine will not start, call 911, and your engine should start again.
# Fast travel

To avoid wasting time driving all the way across the city, call a taxi. They will take you to your destination for your mission, stores, safehouses, or even a waypoint marker. You can skip through the taxi ride, allowing you to travel across the entire city in about ten seconds. This can also be done during missions.
# Easy headshots

It is sometimes difficult to get headshots, which do count. With some practice, doing the following is an easy way to get headshots. Press [Auto-Aim], then use the Right Analog-stick to move the auto-aim target around your victim's body. Barely move the Right Analog-stick as you are shooting. This puts bullets in the chest and head, and results in an easy instant kill.
# Getting away from police

When running away from the cops, you will have a circular area in which they look for you. However, if you get out and another cop sees you, it changes. To use this to your advantage, barely get out of that circle, which you will see on your radar. Then, just sit there for about five seconds instead of flooring past it.
# Regaining health during missions

You can leave the mission area and go to a Cluckin' Bell, hotdog stand, etc. and eat food to replenish your health if you are low and cannot find a health pack. This is especially useful on missions where there are no health packs in sight. Note: You can also take a taxi to those locations during missions.
# Avoiding toll booths

Drive through any toll booth with any emergency vehicle with the sirens on. The booth attendant will open the gate, and you will save $5.
# $100 for all ringtones and themes

After getting the phone from Playboy X, go to the nearest Internet cafe. Buy all of the ringtones and themes from the ringtones site. Log out of the computer, and you will notice that you only paid $100 for all ringtones and themes.
Thanks a lot! :D

Will be using these after I beat the game. :lol

EDIT:

To anyone who will be playing the multiplayer and MGO please add me!

PSN: Ridley182

MGO: Mister_Chef (or search clan NeoGAF Fox Unit)

Here are some quick impressions from about 3.5 hours on the 360 version:

- Love the in-car GPS and the highlighted route. For the directionally challegened, it helps a lot.

- Also really like the new Wanted system, makes a lot more sense and is a bit easier to get rid of the police

- Targeting and Cover work really well. Shooting people in GTA has never felt so great.

- Graphics are average, but the lighting effects really stand out

- Hilarious writing, and some great characters early on, although I can't understand Lil' Jacob so I had to turn on subtitles.

Monocle

Game in tray, controller in hand, it's time to go to Liberty City! Impressions later, if I can tear myself away from the awesome.

GreekWolf

HaloFans said:
The game is initially disappointing to be honest.
With GTA being one of the juggernauts of gaming, I think too many people have unrealistic expectations of Gears/Uncharted graphics in a massive game world.

For what it offers, I happen to think it looks absolutely amazing.

Weenerz

Banned
I've done 4 missions for
Vlad
and I still don't have
a weapon
besides the
knife
. Any clue how long it'll be till I get one?

Kusagari

Weenerz said:
I've done 4 missions for
Vlad
and I still don't have
a weapon
besides the
knife

You should have the pistol after the Lil Jacob mission for Roman which I did really early on, before I even started working for Vlad

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
w00t!
I just picked it up!

Yeeeaaahahhhhhhhh.

Waiting in line sucked, there wasn't really anyone cool to chat with.
But this one commented on the book I was reading (WWZ) so we talked for like forty seconds about how amazing it is.

Weenerz said:
I've done 4 missions for
Vlad
and I still don't have
a weapon
besides the
knife

dude, its GTA. just get in any
cop car
and you get a
shotgun
with
10 rounds
:)

Danielsan

God fucking damnit. Fucking shit ARGHH!!!

That's the last time I ever pre-order a game at Dimensionplus. The mailman just came and went and guess what, no GTA IV for me today.

My day has officially been ruined...

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Just got back from 90 minutes of hell.

220+ people.

3 employees on staff.

1 of those employees at the door.

RAIN.

I'm never preordering anything again.

Time to play this goddamn game.

Wow, the detail in the city is amazing. Yes it still feels like GTA but the story, characters and city are so improved that its like seeing something old in a whole new way. I am blown away when I am driving around (usually running over people). I have gone on a few dates, went to a strip club, watched TV, surfed the web, and so much more in 3 hours.

Sorry for those inviting me online, I just wanted to focus on single player right now, tomorrow I will get on.

burnfout

Danielsan said:
God fucking damnit. Fucking shit ARGHH!!!

That's the last time I ever pre-order a game at Dimensionplus. The mailman just came and went and guess what, no GTA IV for me today.

My day has officially been ruined...

WHAAAATTTTT :(

Maybe they are using 'pakkettendienst' instead of regular mail though!

mxz

OMG, Niko drunk with Roman are both hilarious. As I was struggling to stay up and not fall down, Roman was trying to pick a fight with some old lady. HILARIOUS!

there were about 150 people to pick the game up in burbank ca.

anyhow, played for about an hour, awesome game. i have the 360 version and here are some opinions:

* haven't noticed any significant pop up (or pop in?). infact, i can't say that i have seen any pop up. i saw a couple times where the textues on one of the mailboxes took a sec to load in up close, but i was specifically looking for that kind of stuff. when you are just driving and actually playing the game you don't notice

* awesome cast so far!

* got my ass kicked by some douche in a suit. fucking bullcrap.

* game is fucking hilarious. i spent about 5 to 10 minutes just watching TV in the apartment. haha the 24 spoof is hilarious "Brown = Suspect!"

* graphics are awesome given the scope. i don't know how rockstar did it but damn. the outrageous cost to make this game is justified in my mind. everything is very detailed and there is so much content it's kind of hard to wrap your mind around it all.

A ++++; would play again

Danielsan

burnfout said:
WHAAAATTTTT :(

Maybe they are using 'pakkettendienst' instead of regular mail though!
Yeah I thought about that. Maybe they decided go with that to insure that would be delivered today. I guess I have to play the waiting game again and keep my fingers crossed. Otherwise I will have to go and out and destroy some stuff. I won't be home tomorrow either, I really can't wait another two days...

Brannon

I committed a cardinal sin by not reading the instruction booklet, and it was the BEST SIN EVER.

The game itself told me I could dodge and weave and do different attacks, but I did not know you could
TAKE
A
MAN'S KNIFE
FROM HIM AND
SLASH HIS FACE WITH IT.
(yeah that's just annoying, with the spoilers)

The moment I saw what happened, I screamed OH SNAP and went to town on him. Then I kicked him off the bridge while he was holding his face.

Don't fuck with Niko Bellic; he's done more than cover wars, you know...

Also, last time I swear, do all 360 copies of the game come with a 1-month membership to XBL?

Steroyd

Woke up Early: Check
Money: Check
Shortest route to Shop: Check
Game in stock: er.... just about

Crazy stuff, and about 5 people went to pick up the game after I did. o_O

Brannon said:
So do all of the GTA4 games for 360 come with 1-month trial memberships, because I have one.
Wow, that's cool. My account's about to run out too. Are these trials only good for new accounts or will it give me a credit on the one I have?

Honestly I'm surprised anyone actually checked the box. I grabbed the disc and ignored everything else inside. On looking at it, the stuff inside is pretty sweet. Forgot GTA usually comes with a map.

Question: I just saved Roman from the stupid Pollocks or whoever at the start of the game. He then asked me to go grab something to eat. Do I have to do the rest of these stupid mini-games to get the story to continue? I really don't care for them.

Heads up. Here on the west coast they're about to air a story on why you should keep GTA4 away from your kids on ABC. It's not up yet, but you might wanna check it out.

Jirotrom

Son of Godzilla said:
Wow, that's cool. My account's about to run out too. Are these trials only good for new accounts or will it give me a credit on the one I have?

Honestly I'm surprised anyone actually checked the box. I grabbed the disc and ignored everything else inside. On looking at it, the stuff inside is pretty sweet. Forgot GTA usually comes with a map.

Question: I just saved Roman from the stupid Pollocks or whoever at the start of the game. He then asked me to go grab something to eat. Do I have to do the rest of these stupid mini-games to get the story to continue? I really don't care for them.
its one thing... just the eating the hotdog part, and honestly you didn't even have to do it.

Brannon

Marty Chinn said:
Heads up. Here on the west coast they're about to air a story on why you should keep GTA4 away from your kids on ABC. It's not up yet, but you might wanna check it out.

It's been years now. YEARS. Any parent not keeping their kid away from the Grand Theft Auto name needs to be retro-castrated.

Jirotrom

Brannon said:
It's been years now. YEARS. Any parent not keeping their kid away from the Grand Theft Auto name needs to be retro-castrated.
I personally think it depends on how well a parent has instructed their child, to be honestly. If a parent really understands their child they will know what can be handled and what can't, its the parents that don't instruct their children that are the problem.

Hawk269

I have both versions and to be honest, they are pretty identical. I think that the 360 version looks cleaner and seems to be smother (edges etc).. This was noticable in both cutscenes and in the actual game play.

I have a 60" Sony SXRD TV, professionally calibrated by an ISF technictian. Both systems are hooked up via HDMI.

First thing I noticed was the PS3 version defaulted to 720p. My set displays all resolutions so I have it checked to output to 480p, 720p, 1081i & 1080p, but GTA4 defaults to 720p. I was able to force it to 1080p by deselecting the 720p & 1080i options and it did output to 1080p.

The load times are slightly faster, but not that much. I am not sure what the big deal was with that. I timed it and it is like 2-3 seconds faster after a death or arrest. No big deal here.

I did think that bluriness in the far backround on both versions very distracting. It takes away from that clean look, but I understand why they are doing it. But still, the visuals are great, but not the 10 most reviews are giving it.

Overall, so far for me, the 360 verision seems to be a bit better visually. Cleaner edges, seems more (rezzy (sp)) etc. Had a few friends here since I had both and they all agreed that the 360 verison seems less jagged and cleaner looking. But, they also said that it is also not that big of deal of a difference to detract and claim an all out victory for the 360 version. They are basically very, very close...but we all preferred the looks of the 360 version.

POP Up...Well, no difference in the 2 hours that we played. They both had some, but nothing noticably much different in eaither version. They both seemed to have some in the same areas. We puposely mapped out the same road at the same time of day to ensure the same and it was.

Also, to put to rest, traffic is just as dense on eaither version. We found a good section where a ton of cars and people migrated and in both versions, it was the same. We even spinned around to see if we could make some stuff disapear and on both versions, the only thing that happened was a few tree textures shifted and that was about it. Traffic and pedestreans seemed to stay on their designated course.

HDD install was about 8 min. for me, so not that bad. But a few friends laughed that the load times are so close, wtf was the purpose of the install.

Did not play online at all yet. We just kept switching from one version to the other to see the differences and when it was all said and done...no big differences other than we thought one looked a bit cleaner than the other. Framerates were also pretty much the same on each version.

Well that is about it. Off to bed...have meetings in the morning.

Enjoy the game folks. regardless what version you have, you are not losing out if you have the Ps3 or 360 version. The are virtually the same.

GTA manuals are always great. Mine will be keeping me company throughout today, I'm just hoping the boss leaves early so I can go home and play. Walked into a WHSmiths, grabbed a copy, walked back out. Preorder?

bosx2

Banned
guys its sick! my local stores got each 5 copies for each system and the ps3 version sold out in less than freakn 40 seconds!!!!!!!!! man Í´m lucky I got a copy

Banned
I love the small touches they added like being able to see the characters breath when it is cold or steam coming out of manhole covers. Also, the rain in the game is amazing.

Top Bottom