• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

kitch9

Banned
Docpan said:
So I'm noticing that nothing is cropped off but everything on the HUD pretty much goes to the edge of the screen. Completely clueless here, any ideas?

Overscan, see if you can turn it off.

In this post, I will talk about bridges.

If you drive past the police barricades on bridges heading to islands you're not supposed to access yet, you get automatically get a 5 star wanted level when you get to the other island.

You have to pay $5 toll on some bridges, and if you don't pay you get a 1 star wanted level.
If you're in a police car, you don't have to pay toll.

No long load time on bridges like the previous games, yay!

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Docpan said:
It's a Toshiba 720p TV... No idea the exact model off the top of my head.

I've tested other games and GTA is the only one giving me this issue.... Unless that's how it's supposed to be, with the HUD near the edges of the screen.

the hud is pushed way out.. sounds like overscan (your tv increases the image and chops off the edges).

go to avs forum or call the maker to see if you can adjust it. if your tv has a pc setting, try that.

...how are you liking the controls?

...how is the "classic" option?

...how does shooting with L2/R2 feel as well driving?

Thanks again!

played for a couple hours on the PS3 version, not really impressed graphically, but not bad. i need to calibrate my setup though, hopefully to make the image pop more. The voice acting seems cool, and the stories interesting. havent played MP yet, but ill get around to it tomorrow.

PS3 60 gig.

About 7 freezes in the last 2 hours.

Reinstalled even, didn't fix it.

Pretty random too, doesn't seem to be triggered by activity. Can't do a mission, can't even find a hooker. Very depressing.

Any ideas if disc change will fix this problem?

Loudninja

Firestreak said:
PS3 60 gig.

Pretty random too, doesn't seem to be triggered by activity. Can't do a mission, can't even find a hooker. Very depressing.

I think it some defective dics out there, perhaps you should go and exchange it.

AgentOtaku said:
...how are you liking the controls?

...how is the "classic" option?

...how does shooting with L2/R2 feel as well driving?

Thanks again!

im not too happy with the controls, feels kinda "sloppy" i guess. right analog stick sucks imo. when turning the camera, u have to hold it if u want to do a panoramic view. it always tries to reposition itself behind nikos head

haven't tried classic yet

havent found a gun yet, but driving with l2/r2 doesnt suck surprisingly. triggers woulda been better obviously, but so far so good. and i havent run into the tree of doom yet, im excited about it tho

bdizzle said:
im not too happy with the controls, feels kinda "sloppy" i guess. right analog stick sucks imo. when turning the camera, u have to hold it if u want to do a panoramic view. it always tries to reposition itself behind nikos head

haven't tried classic yet

havent found a gun yet, but driving with l1/r1 doesnt suck surprisingly. triggers woulda been better obviously, but so far so good. and i havent run into the tree of doom yet, im excited about it tho lol

wha?

I thought driving/shooting is mapped in L2/R2 triggers in "standard" mode

...kinda silly to hear that view doesn't stay put and recenters behind niko, but will get used to it

Azrael

dallow_bg said:
Anybody's 60GB freezing during first cutscene?

There's a thread on it at the PS boards, and now one of my buddies says it's freezing on him!!!!

I'm scared for my 20GB.

I have a 60 GB launch PS3 and this is happening to me. It locked up twice during the intro cutscene. I then reinstalled the game and tried again. Same thing.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Greaaaaaat.
Working for about half of you. :(

Well, here's a nice PS3 theme I guess.
http://www.psu.com/A1-GTA-IV--theme-1259.php
68856_6584-preview.png

About to go in 15 minutes, the local games shop will open 45 minutes from now. I expect the SE waiting for me when I arrive ( i know the people who work there, the same goes for Skilotonn).

I still have a cold with a cough, but that's ok, nothing stops me from getting GTA, not even a kind of pain in my mouth. :D GTA atlast...

Loudninja

Guts Of Thor said:
FUCK! I have a 60gig but I hope it doesn't happen to me. Doesn't exactly leave me with confidence when I pick up my copy tomorrow though.

Its NOT just the 60GB though, people reported 20 GB and 80 doing the same thing.

Azrael

Firestreak said:
PS3 60 gig.

You can try it, but anecdotally, some users on the playstation.com forums have reported that their copy freezes on their PS3 and runs fine on a friend's PS3, and their friend's copy won't run on their PS3 either. It sounds like a bug affecting certain hardware configurations rather than a bad disc, so a replacement disc will probably not fix the problem. Sounds like something that's going to need to be patched.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
I just rear ended a car by accident and the guy got out of the car on fire and rolled around. Then some cabbie tried to hang on to the driver's side door after I carjacked his taxi. :lol

sullytao

The game was just on the BBC Breakfast show. They also commented about the groups crying about it and how there just helping R* sell the game :D

My quick impressions.

- A little to thick with the filters. Not really digging the painting like gloss over the entire image

- Shitty, shitty, holy fucking shit bad camera control

- Great animation

- I love the cover system

- Awesome lobby system and there seems to be a ton of depth to the multiplayer

- No pop in issues, no frame drops

- Greatly built world. Great art all over the place and the depth of field with far away buildings is beautiful

- Fairly hard to control driving at this point.

- So far I'm digging the characters and story

So right now I love the game. This was for 360 version btw. I'm just trying to get used to the game so I can just get into the groove gameplay wise.

LaneDS

Just tried to launch a multiplayer deathmatch on my PS3 (60GB) and it stayed at the Starting Game screen for about five minutes before I had to do the Quit Game option from the PS button.

Fingers crossed it was just bad luck.

Top Bottom