• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

painey

almost 7am here.. ive been awake 3 hours, waiting for my copy to arrive. Social Club is still down.. getting worried now.

Tobor

Gary Whitta said:
In all seriousness the issue is still somewhat alive for me thanks to this latest info that it creates the loudest engine noise ever on 360. I'd be interested to hear from others on this.

I'm playing the game as we speak. It's no louder than Mass Effect was. If that's too loud, then, there you go. We should all be used to the 360's noise at this point in the cycle, right?

Docpan

I don't know what the hell is up with my display for this game. Names of streets and cars go RIGHT UP to the edge of the screen, making it seem like the edges are cropped off.

I know for a fact I have the display set correctly. Every other game displays correctly. This is the 360 version. Has anyone else noticed this? I can't enjoy the game 'till I figure out what this problem is.

First thing I do in the game...flip on the TV and see
BAS MOTHERF***ING RUTTEN!!! Talking about liver kicks!

This game is already officially the greatest work of art in the history of humanity.

Docpan said:
I don't know what the hell is up with my display for this game. Names of streets and cars go RIGHT UP to the edge of the screen, making it seem like the edges are cropped off.

I know for a fact I have the display set correctly. Every other game displays correctly. This is the 360 version. Has anyone else noticed this? I can't enjoy the game 'till I figure out what this problem is.

Well what set do you have, just curious.

PuppetMaster said:
It's not dead. That is a common HDMI handshake issue.

Hold down the power button when you turn it on. Keep your finger on it till the picture comes up.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

The hard disk install is in progress as I type this, and everything seems copacetic. I really can't thank you enough!

Off to have a smoke and lose myself in Liberty City...

Docpan

It's a Toshiba 720p TV... No idea the exact model off the top of my head.

I've tested other games and GTA is the only one giving me this issue.... Unless that's how it's supposed to be, with the HUD near the edges of the screen.

watkinzez

Euphoria is excellent.
Just did the mission for Vlad where you have to steal a guy's car. Once I got in the hoods tried to throw me out, I reversed and 180'd around with one of them dangling off the car handle. He ended up falling off several metres later.

Docpan

So I'm noticing that nothing is cropped off but everything on the HUD pretty much goes to the edge of the screen. Completely clueless here, any ideas?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
To the guy that got a free upgraded SE copy:

You did what I would've done, and yes, that makes you a bad person. Some call it dishonest, I call it opportunistic.

The self-righteous will come into this thread and try to make you feel loath, but I say you never look lady-luck in the eye and deny her, lest she abandon you.

Good for you dude. Remember, you're only a bad person if you don't feel bad! BUT you're a schmuck if you dwell on it too long. And you won't get caught and if they bother calling you, say this: "IYPNMP."
It's your problem not my problem.

If you must, ask yourself: if they accidentally overcharged you on a bill and you didn't notice, would they remove the charges? Anybody with a credit card or anybody that has done business with criminals like Blockbuster knows the answer to that question.

h3ro

Installing now! :D

Any one know where I can get the pic of Lollipop Girl that pops up when you roll over the game disc icon in the XMB in Hi-Res? I want to set that as my permanent wallpaper...

So tired... Must play GTA.... arggg

Raistlin

Just played for a little over an hour ... getting the hang of controls, etc ... went on a date (bowling). The scope of this game is just nuts, so much shit going on, just everywhere. Man, the people in Liberty City drive like assholes. Then again, its based on NYC, so I guess it fits :p

Random AI occurrence happened right of the bat for me. Some passenger was yelling and cursing at the driver in the car they were in, and stabbed her 0_0. He then got out of the car, and hobbled off. Completely random craziness. Needless to say, I dragged her lifeless body out of the car and drove off :) As I'm pulling the body out, Niko says, "Guess you won't be needing this" :lol

As expected, the audio is just insane in terms of scope. Though the default music level kind of drowns out conversations (especially cell). Graphics ... haven't seen enough to really comment, but I like the look overall. The engine is actually pretty damn solid, much more so than I would have expected given their prior titles. Detail is just staggering, and the lighting is quite beautiful.

This game is going to be EPIC.

Off to bed now ... :'(

BakedPigeon said:
Who really cares about comparisons anyways? We have a fucking amazing game ready to be played by the masses, I for one don't give a flying donkey fuck about what game looks better under a microscope.

this

Dot50Cal said:
People like me, who own both consoles and don't have a preference towards either one and would like the "best" experience :p

fuck, I just dont know

PS3 sounds to be technically above the 360 plus I really like the cases >_> oh and the fact that the PS3 doesnt sound like a fat man on a treadmill

or

my 360 friendslist pwns my PSN friendslist... and, I LIKES ME ACHIEVMENTS!

[Roman / "Uncle Vlad"]

OH WHAT THE FUCK, ROCKSTAR! I really really REALLY liked Vlad. A fucking LOT. What do I do now? Oh, okay, get introduced to someone ever COOLER. I fucking LOVE Petrovick!!

The most engaging game experience ever created.

LaneDS

Game seems very dark for me. PS3 version. Even jacked up the brightness all the way, and now at night I can actually see things. Anyone else have a similar experience?

Otherwise, good stuff so far.

sytadel

Anbody got a shipped order confirmation from Play Asia yet?

Preparing order. Available/Reserved for your order/Ready for dispatch.

Please note that this indicator may fluctuate for regular stocked items. It may occur that an item was marked as reserved earlier but has sold in the meantime, leading to a change of displayed status. However, we are sending out orders on a first-come first-serve basis.
My current status^

clav

BenjaminBirdie said:
[Roman / "Uncle Vlad"]

OH WHAT THE FUCK, ROCKSTAR! I really really REALLY liked Vlad. A fucking LOT. What do I do now? Oh, okay, get introduced to someone ever COOLER. I fucking LOVE Petrovick!!

The most engaging game experience ever created.
Well, that was expected.

You'll love more and more as you keep moving up and working for better people. I already have got a preview of what it's like from a friend who has a modified Xbox 360. Just waiting for my Amazon.com copy to arrive now...

Salmonax

Docpan said:
So I'm noticing that nothing is cropped off but everything on the HUD pretty much goes to the edge of the screen. Completely clueless here, any ideas?
Sounds like fairly typical overscan, which is especially common in rear-projection TVs.

nib95

Banned
My impressions so far: (PS3)

---

First impressions were, they're certainly taking the art style to a new height. The game reeks of of aesthetic prowess. There are probably about a million filters running amok (think Killzone 2 the vibrant, colourful and diverse version). There's a dreamy look about it all, super slick, smooth and glowing with charisma and energy. That's not to say I liked the visuals straight away. In-fact, off the bat I thought they were rather lacklustre. Sure the lighting was immense (shadows, variance in lighting, the dynamics of it all) however, I think they may have gone a bit OTT with the filters. GTA IV shares the same issue that bugged me in Lost Odyssey. This overt depth of field and focusing that can be off putting. Some things are actually blurry when they go out of focal range, to give the scene that cinematic appeal. Some may love this, but at first I hated it. It's definitely grown on me though. The more I play, the more immersed I get in this truly riveting city that almost feels alive with personality. I still don't think the visuals are close to a 10. Frame rate has been pretty solid, not a single bit of pop-in yet and loading times have been very swift.

Gameplay wise, I haven't really felt anything too different. Just feels like every other GTA but with an added layer of slick, and with slightly more depth in mechanical and technical implementation as well as a this time more progressively developed story. The characters are just sublime. While the voice acting is rather cheesy (intentionally I'm guessing), often rather derogatory and vulgar (again intentional) you really get a feel for the characters and their specific characteristics. Niko is also quite the bad ass. Probably the best GTA character yet. He just oozes personality and a kind of controlled aggression and ruthlessness that makes us almost have a level of respect and admiration for him. You can see his potential. An intelligent, humorous, charismatic but dangerous man with serious balls and an ambitious thirst.

So far so good. I haven't been blown away yet, but perhaps that's the point. The game is slowly luring me in, with it's powerfully visceral potency, immersive world and likeable characters.

Oh and one last thing, the soundtrack is just fantastic. A nice range of sounds of all different genre's that all really add to the mix. There's the regular funny radio bites, now with additional funny TV shows, that are both entertaining and long. The songs chosen to be played for specific parts of the game are also cleverly picked. They add just the right bite and mood to each specific scene, again drawing you in to the game whichever way Rockstar intended.

If you have any questions, feel free to fire away with them. My current image set up is brightness +2, contrast +1, saturation default. I find this looks best on my calibrated Kuro.

Pics

---

gta1.jpg

gta15.jpg

gta18.jpg

gt1.jpg

gt2.jpg

gt3.jpg

gt4.jpg

gt5.jpg

gt6.jpg

gt7.jpg

gta5.jpg

gta6.jpg

gta9.jpg

gta7.jpg

gta12.jpg

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
I love how the pool hall and bowling alley don't need to load a separate area, you just walk right in. I gotta get used to using the triggers to drive, too used to using face buttons from the PS2 games.

Walked into Walmart @ 12:02, walked out with it @ 12:11. There were two lines, one for PS3, one for 360. Had about 6 people in the PS3 one, 10 people in the 360 line. Pre-orders? =p

Smokey

Himuro said:
This game is MUCH harder so far to me. I've died 4 times now in the past hour, all of which from police scuffles. I have no clue how to evade them. :D

All you do is run/drive outside of the circle area that's flashing blue and red on your radar. Once you get out of that area your star(s) will turn grey indicating that you are out of sight. A few seconds later it will be gone.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Anybody's 60GB freezing during first cutscene?

There's a thread on it at the PS boards, and now one of my buddies says it's freezing on him!!!!

I'm scared for my 20GB.

Barakov

dallow_bg said:
Anybody's 60GB freezing during first cutscene?

There's a thread on it at the PS boards, and now one of my buddies says it's freezing on him!!!!

I'm scared for my 20GB.

Crap. Won't have the game for some hours but that's worrying.

Kusagari

Been playing for about an hour and 30 minutes. There was literally over 200 people at the Gamestop for the midnight launch. It was fucking insane. Never expected anywhere near that much considering where I live.

Top Bottom