• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

woodchuck

haha. i got the warm coffee achievement with michelle. i managed to drive her home drunk. it's only a matter of time before niko gets laid

USC-fan

Banned
Wow! I'm about 11% done and its just keeps getting better.

I been playing the PS3 version and it looks great. The framerate could be better but I am so surprised about the lack of pop-in.

besada

Banned
So, I've been reading some of the "straight" media reviews on GTA. I'm astonished how many of them think it's alright to critique the story of the game when they've pretty clearly not experienced the story. One of the guys progressed through 5% of the game, but thought he had a good grasp on Nicco Bellic's character. 5%.

That's like a book reviewer who reads the first twenty pages of a novel and writes the review, or a movie reviewer who watches the oening tracking sequence and then gives it a thumbs down. Fucking ridiculous.

G-Bus

Banned
bdizzle said:
god damn man. i cant get online. im guessing sony fucked up again since the 360 version can play online but this is fuckin ridiculous. and the ps store seems to be suffering too. no images are showing up and i cant dl anything from there.....something told me i shoulda just got the 360 version.....

I wonder if the amount of people who picked up the PS3 version caught Sony off guard and just weren't prepared to get hammered quite so hard.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
G-Bus said:
I wonder if the amount of people who picked up the PS3 version caught Sony off guard and just weren't prepared to get hammered quite so hard.
Maybe it's just the fact that everyone wants to play at the same time (i.e. as soon as they get their hands on the game). I'm curious to see how GTAIV's numbers compare to CoD4 on the PS3, since that is probably the biggest online title right now.

Dirtbag

I just played for a few hours... I'm not sure I agree with the glowing reviews out there. The controls are so floaty and imprecise. Its a major detract for me. The story and atmosphere may be unmatched, but I find myself cursing the game mechanics. I don't buy into this whole "glitchyness is to be expected and forgiven" angle that I keep reading in game reviews. I'm impressed from a technical/content standpoint but the gameplay isn't nearly as much fun as I was hoping for.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
i lvoe the wide variety of people talking about the game online . One of my first matches, most of the people in the game said it was a HUGE disappointment. Next match, with different people? Complete opposite.:lol

SpeedingUptoStop

Is there a way to join other people's games? It seems like I have to be invited to it first, I jsut can't jump into the lobby with them.

Struct09

It might have already been posted in this huge thread, but if you log into the Social Club and view the crime report it says that crime in Liberty City is up 848,780,099% since yesterday :D

G-Bus

Banned
Surfheart said:
Im sure it's been mentioned a hundred times already, but the TV shows are awesome!

Where do you go to watch TV? Didn't know that was even an option, fucking craaazy :lol

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
I tell you. That "paint" filter really takes some getting used to, I wish they'd give you the option to cut it off.

Still, it's good to be back in LC and i'm having a blast so far.

Dunlop

I can't find an option for it, is there any way to change the background for the cell phone? I'm playing 1080i on a 57" (projection) TV and I can't read the text on it for shit : (

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Struct09 said:
It might have already been posted in this huge thread, but if you log into the Social Club and view the crime report it says that crime in Liberty City is up 848,780,099% since yesterday :D

Hm, I just now linked my Gamertag, got the successful message. But it won't let me click on any stats. I imagine the site has been slammed and buggy all day.

Edit: Reading the Help FAQ clarifies much. 24 hour delay after linkage? Lame.

Sharp

Just played/watched this game for about four hours straight. It's pretty sick. Graphically it's not perfect, but the characterization is excellent and the scope is unbelievable. Can't wait to get back to it.

SpeedingUptoStop

Goreomedy said:
Hm, I just now linked my Gamertag, got the successful message. But it won't let me click on any stats. I imagine the site has been slammed and buggy all day.

Edit: Reading the Help FAQ clarifies much. 24 hour delay after linkage? Lame.
yea, the site is all kinds of buggy.

Monocle

I've been playing almost nonstop since early this morning. Having completed the most annoying mission in the history of ever, The Snow Storm (seriously Rockstar, what the hell? Was that steaming turd of game design playtested at all?), I think I've earned a break. Seriously, I must have failed that mission over ten times. I finally beat it, after planning out my route beforehand, by
escaping from the police via the subway station two blocks west of the ruined building where the shootout takes place. After running down the easy-to-miss entrance stairway, I made my way through the station, hopped directly onto the tracks, and kept running until I was outside the police search radius.

I've mainly been powering through story missions (guideless, I'm proud to report) in attempt to unlock the Liberty City Minute achievement, which apparently requires you to beat the story missions within 30 hours. If I somehow fail to earn it there's not a chance in hell I'll attempt it again. This brings me to a question. Does anyone know the exact way to unlock Liberty City Minute? I mean, will I get it for beating the final mission with less than 30 hours of playing time, or do I have to complete all missions offered by the main cast of characters?

Well GTA4 is now showing up in my Socialclub but can't select it or see any stats yet. The faq said it may take up to 24 hoursw trhe first time to update. Hopefully it will be fully operational before I go to sleep tonight. Has anyone been able to check there stats online yet?

Socreges

Banned
DATING

What's the point? I hated it in San Andreas and so far I hate it here too. I took Michelle out for a second date, but got bored of the cabaret and pressed 'A', ending the date. She got upset and now I suppose she's not too hot on me. So? Is there any consequence to this besides just that, her not liking me?

Do I date other girls? Do they benefit my advancement in any way or is this a side-game that I can completely ignore unless I actually want to simulate dating?

Also there was a 'friend' icon on my map. I went to it, had a weird conversation with some cracked-out guy, and then my game saved. Wha??

tha_con

Banned
hahaha, I don't have cable (I'm in the army TDY) so watching these TV shows is AWESOME.

Anyone know about how many there are?

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I wasn't sure which thread to post in, this or the freezing/crash one.

Just started playing and my PS3 copy is constantly pausing during gameplay; it goes smoothly for about 30 seconds, then pause, 30 seconds, pause. Gets worse when other cars come on screen or I'm heading into a new area (and at this point, everything is new). It's basically unplayable.

Does this go away or...?

Dunlop

Socreges said:
DATING

What's the point? I hated it in San Andreas and so far I hate it here too. I took Michelle out for a second date, but got bored of the cabaret and pressed 'A', ending the date. She got upset and now I suppose she's not too hot on me. So? Is there any consequence to this besides just that, her not liking me?

Do I date other girls? Do they benefit my advancement in any way or is this a side-game that I can completely ignore unless I actually want to simulate dating?

Also there was a 'friend' icon on my map. I went to it, had a weird conversation with some cracked-out guy, and then my game saved. Wha??

I brought her to play darts...and scored!!

/high fives all around

OK, I actually agree, WTF is the point of dating?

Who wants to get a GAF game going? I can't organize it because I need to plug directly into my modem with the 360 to play online, so no PC and 360 at the same time. If anyone wants to get one going, please invite me.

GT: F1shBulb

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Cosmic Bus said:
I wasn't sure which thread to post in, this or the freezing/crash one.

Just started playing and my PS3 copy is constantly pausing during gameplay; it goes smoothly for about 30 seconds, then pause, 30 seconds, pause. Gets worse when other cars come on screen or I'm heading into a new area (and at this point, everything is new). It's basically unplayable.

Does this go away or...?

That's not normal...sounds like a hard drive problem.

_leech_ said:
I swear, it's like no one bothers reading the pop-up tutorial boxes...

I did but I dont remember what it said...

BuRT!

So are the default display settings super dark on everyones set? Every other thing I watch on my TV is fine except for GTA. So I have to mess with the settings in the game menu and it kind of just looks washed out. Are there widely used brightness/contrast/saturation settings or is it just going to be based on my TV?

Solo

Game is dark as fuck on my set too. Only game Ive ever played that Ive actually had to adjust the brightness and contrast settings on.

KillJade

Banned
BuRT! said:
So are the default display settings super dark on everyones set? Every other thing I watch on my TV is fine except for GTA. So I have to mess with the settings in the game menu and it kind of just looks washed out. Are there widely used brightness/contrast/saturation settings or is it just going to be based on my TV?

Naw, it's pretty washed out on my set also.

SpeedingUptoStop

Yea, I turned the brightness all way up after the first mission. Still annoying that it's hard to see the guns on the MP mini-map at night.

SpeedingUptoStop

At what point do we get more outfits for MP? I leveled up atleast one level, but I dunno how far I have to go until the next level...

Top Bottom