• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Smokey Bones said:
Can you still pick up hookers like you could in the others?

I roll up to em with the pimpest car and honk but no dice!

Yes, and you can
choose from three different services.
:D

Teknoman said:
Think thats good? Take a walk down where those fat business guys with briefcases and/ or coffee are. Push em over stuff and take their cash. Then pick up said coffee and throw it at a police car or taxi then run :lol

lol yeah:

"Niko! Tell me more! Tell me MORE!"

what the fuck?!! you can pick up dropped coffee cups? LMAO how?

The Chef

Is my dualshock 3 supposed to shake ever in this game? I turn vibrate on but still driving cars, getting in fights - whatever. It never vibrates. When does it actually do something?

HugBasket

Banned
So I was doing the
smash china man's windows
mission and I decided to run all the way to the location. On the way I watched a guy pull out his phone and start texting. He also said 'fuck.' I thought it was pretty rude but I figured "Whatever" until I rounded the corner and saw a brick. Picked it up and ran back, pitching it, and sending that guy to the ground. Before he could even get back on his feet I was punching the shit out of him.

So fun.

Awesome, Awesome. Awesome. Awesome,

Teknoman said:
You can. And its a little more explicit than usual...so thats one thing Weasel news can rat on.

EDIT: Yes I just got about 1hr ago that Weasel news is a parody of FOX.

LOL me too! You notice when they introduce the asian reporter they have a asian influenced tune playing! LMAO

Oh, and the cab system in this game is brilliant.

You save so much time and it is so little cash (or free).

I think in some ways the game
made money less important than it was in prior GTA games. I have $30 thousand or so with nothing to spend it on. I went and bought several outfits and once in a while buy body armor, but in general it is never a worry. At least so far it isnt.

how can you tell who is a hooker or not? I beeped at some skanky looking woman and didn't didn't run to my car.

Solo

I threw what looked like a cheeseburger thru the chinaman's window :lol I dont know if thats what it actually was, but it sure looked like one, and it sure as hell wasnt a brick. Got quite a laugh out of me, picturing glass-shattered fast food.

antispin

I hope someone can answer this one: is the 360 version region-free? Specifically -- I want to play a US version on a PAL system.

Teknoman said:
You have to unlock it I think. I've been playing for awhile, yet I still think im in the "tutorial" stage of things since im still being taught control functions and unlocking various stores.

I have been playing for over 10 hours (on the clock) and I still have that feeling.

This game is so fucking awesome. The definitive game of the Next-Gen. Everything just blows my mind, and the fact that you get so much content for $60 is amazing. It does deserve all these 10's its getting.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Linkhero1 said:
So does car handling improve or do I have to actually learn how to drive properly? I really suck at handling cars. Any tips?

Car handling doesn't improve in-game, only your personal skills will be enhanced.

For tips? Start breaking about 3 seconds before you think you should.

The Chef said:
Is my dualshock 3 supposed to shake ever in this game? I turn vibrate on but still driving cars, getting in fights - whatever. It never vibrates. When does it actually do something?

I noticed this too on 360-- does GTA4 have any feedback whatsoever? I have yet to experience it.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Goreomedy said:
An early mission requires use of one, and from then on it should be on the map.

So what is the car wash good for, other than, y'know, watching a really boring cutscene of your car getting washed?

Linkhero1

El_TigroX said:
Car handling doesn't improve in-game, only your personal skills will be enhanced.

For tips? Start breaking about 3 seconds before you think you should.
Yeah I try breaking early on before making a turn but I screw it up and smash into something. It's hard for me when I'm trying to enjoy cop chases.

Aladuf

Banned
The Chef said:

My DS3 rumbles a lot. I'm not really sure when it rumbles, but I notice it very often.

Linkhero1 said:
So does car handling improve or do I have to actually learn how to drive properly? I really suck at handling cars. Any tips?

Just realize that your car has weight to it and that you can't go from 100 to 1 right away. Slow down before making turns, use the break when making turns, rarely if ever use the handbreak, don't gun it and expect to break anytime soon.

I actually really like how the cars drive now for the most part.

Linkhero1

Linkzg said:
Just realize that your car has weight to it and that you can't go from 100 to 1 right away. Slow down before making turns, use the break when making turns, rarely if ever use the handbreak, don't gun it and expect to break anytime soon.

I actually really like how the cars drive now for the most part.
Yeah I guess I should take weight into account. I should start practicing :p

Linkhero1 said:

I think they specifically slowed down the driving a lot compared to the older GTA games, so I'd recommend taking it a lot slower than what you're probably used to. Try to avoid braking/accelerating while turning and learn to use the handbrake in conjunction with the footbrake. I'm still learning myself, but you'll definitely start to get a feel for it as you spend more time with the game.

Teknoman

Linkhero1 said:

Find an expensive sports car. They handle like old school PS2 GTA cars for the most part.
Either that or drive as you would a Gran Turismo game, if you've ever played one.

Brashnir

man, the look on Niko's face whenever Little Jacob is talking is priceless. I had to turn on subtltles to understand the guy - I can't even imagine what Niko must be thinking.

Little Jacob cutscene spoiler:
and later, when Jacob has to translate for Badman, I nearly lost it

It's the little things that make it better. The small enhancements that make things a little easier on the player. I just played multiplayer for the first time too. Pretty fun.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
chubigans said:
That's not normal...sounds like a hard drive problem.

Well, I tried playing again after leaving it paused while posting earlier and it played fine for a while, but then the pausing started up again and became really bad when I had to chase after Darden and I just had to shut it off.

Looks like this one's getting sold or traded away. Fuck.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Ferrio said:
Washes your car? It's all clean afterwards!

Does your car actually get dirty? I haven't noticed.

But then, maybe it's because I haven't really wanted to drive the cars I "own" (an AE86 Levin wannabe, and a Viper wannabe) for fear of losing them and cars I steal don't last very long anyway.

Linkhero1

I think they specifically slowed down the driving a lot compared to the older GTA games, so I'd recommend taking it a lot slower than what you're probably used to. Try to avoid braking/accelerating while turning and learn to use the handbrake in conjunction with the footbrake. I'm still learning myself, but you'll definitely start to get a feel for it as you spend more time with the game.

Teknoman said:
Find an expensive sports car. They handle like old school PS2 GTA cars for the most part.
Either that or drive as you would a Gran Turismo game, if you've ever played one.
I play Forza from time to time. It's basically the same as any racing sim.

thanks for all the tips guys! I'm gonna go play :D

Kolgar

I thought I was soooo over GTA and then this morning I cracked and jumped in.

I'm so glad I did!

The scope and scale of this next-gen Liberty City is so gob-smackingly beautiful and amazing. I can only wonder how Rockstar fit all this gaming goodness on one DVD.

I'm enjoying this GTA more than any before it. The missions are fun, the car chases exciting, the crashes entertaining. The story and writing AMAZING. Dating Michelle and taking her bowling and to play darts has been a hoot, too.

I have the 360 version and no performance issues at all. It's just been a great time so far.

And my Friends list?

GTA IV
GTA IV
GTA IV
GTA IV

lol

The characters in GTA4 are really awesome. I already like Nico more than any character from previous GTA games. I do think he is a prick compared to Roman. Roman is awesome. Little Jacob is also awesome. Only characters I hate right now are
Manny and Elizabeth.

Teknoman

PIMPBYBLUD said:
what the fuck?!! you can pick up dropped coffee cups? LMAO how?

Walk buy em (or cameras or bricks or whatever object you can make people drop) and press L1. It doesnt have an item indicator, but they each have a certain weight applied to them.

Dot someone with a cup then compare the effect of a camera to their head :lol

All in the name of science.

dedhead54

Does anyone know when the stupid ZiT service is going to be functioning? I've already heard a few songs I don't know the name of and tried to call the number but it gives me a busy signal...

Teknoman

Linkhero1 said:
I play Forza from time to time. It's basically the same as any racing sim.

thanks for all the tips guys! I'm gonna go play :D

Oh yeah, then drive like in Forza, that should work out just fine.

dedhead54 said:
Does anyone know when the stupid ZiT service is going to be functioning? I've already heard a few songs I don't know the name of and tried to call the number but it gives me a busy signal...

there are numbers you can call other than 911?

I tried dialing a number for a car I found on a website and it didn't work.

TheQueen'sOwn

insert blank space here
Cosmic Bus said:
Well, I tried playing again after leaving it paused while posting earlier and it played fine for a while, but then the pausing started up again and became really bad when I had to chase after Darden and I just had to shut it off.

Looks like this one's getting sold or traded away. Fuck.

Mine does that too.. only not every 30 seconds as you describe. Seems to happen randomly.... maybe once every 20 minutes.
(40 gig PS3 bought in November)

Teknoman

dedhead54 said:

Seriously? Did you call during the song, because it sends me the messages. I should have quite a few once the Social Club goes back up.

Oh and alot of the numbers in game...for some reason...dont work on the phone. Whats up with that Rockstar? I want my 10pc Samurai Sword collection!

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
I love Euphoria. The Reason?

Some poor guy hanging onto the door as I speed down the street in his car, swerving side to side trying to get him off.

:lol

chespace said:
Does your car actually get dirty? I haven't noticed.

But then, maybe it's because I haven't really wanted to drive the cars I "own" (an AE86 Levin wannabe, and a Viper wannabe) for fear of losing them and cars I steal don't last very long anyway.

GTA4 does the same thing past GTA games did where when you drive around in an expensive car, similar models will suddenly show up, even if you are the broke ass parts of Liberty City. Still, I do keep one Porche at my current hideout that I will only use for
racing missions.

Brashnir

Router said:
I love Euphoria. The Reason?

Some poor guy hanging onto the door as I speed down the street in his car, swerving side to side trying to get him off.

:lol

it's even more fun when you are that poor guy.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
I swear bowling is pure chance... strikes are just happenstance.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
One of my favourite moments so far was during the initial cutscene for one of Little Jacob's missions

It's the mission where you have to follow/chase after the dealer and then kill him and his supplier in their apartment. Nico's facial expressions while the Jamaican guy was talking in the opening dialogue were just priceless :lol :lol It's a moment you couldn't have in previous GTA games so it really stood out for me.

Also

The first execution :O :O :O

Top Bottom