• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

Aladuf

Banned
Damn! I am having a hell of a time on the mission where
you have to chase down Faustin's daughter's boyfriend on the motorcycle.... I suck ass at using the motorcycle so this is killing me
oh well, I guess I won't worry about it for a while and then I'll try it again later on.

Xevren

Aladuf23 said:
Damn! I am having a hell of a time on the mission where
you have to chase down Faustin's daughter's boyfriend on the motorcycle.... I suck ass at using the motorcycle so this is killing me
oh well, I guess I won't worry about it for a while and then I'll try it again later on.

Yea that one sucked, I just tried to take it slow and made sure not to lose him.

I'm only like 5 missions into the game but I heard something about being able to hunt down wanted people or something?

Is that something I can do early on? I'm looking for more things to do other than exploration
and story missions to keep the main game going for as long as I can.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
WTF, I just did a mission and got 3 stars and 99% of the consumer cars disappeared. I had to walk around for 5 minutes just to find one so I could Paint-N-Spray it to get the heat off me.

and the game starts chugging once you get to some areas of Manhattan.

pringles

AirBrian said:
Damn, bowling is hard! Well, for strikes anyway.
Yes, it's quite boring too. Will be a bitch to get the Turkey achievment.
On the other end of mini-games we have Darts which is just way too easy.

PS. What's this about a "paint filter", how do I activate that? Or do I have to unlock it somehow first?

Treo360

G-Bus said:
What a game. Don't think I'll be getting much sleep tonight. I hope R* can get multi-player going on the PS3 version sooner rather than later. Managed to launch a free roam game by myself, and attempted to join a game but I got disconnected in the middle of joining and my game froze :( Often times I just get "service provider is busy"

Never had a GTA story pull me in like this. I actually want to see what happens next, see the plot move forward. Not much time for screwing around. Just mission after mission.

When you do this one mission for
Vlad, and he wants you to go kill Ivan. You chase him across the rooftops and then you get to choose whether he lives or dies. I let him live.
Hopefully that doesn't come back to bite me in the ass later on. Better be more missions like this. So damn awesome.

Then hold on to your seat, because that's only one of many to come, some of them being really hard choices too.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
pringles said:
Yes, it's quite boring too. Will be a bitch to get the Turkey achievment.
On the other end of mini-games we have Darts which is just way too easy.

PS. What's this about a "paint filter", how do I activate that? Or do I have to unlock it somehow first?
To activate the paint filter, just look at the screen

inner-G

Banned
Dark FaZe said:
I'm only like 5 missions into the game but I heard something about being able to hunt down wanted people or something?

Is that something I can do early on? I'm looking for more things to do other than exploration
and story missions to keep the main game going for as long as I can.
date someone.

Michelle

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
What's with the police not enforcing laws? I've hit so many people right in front of a cop and nothing... it feels a bit weird

Brashnir

El_TigroX said:
What's with the police not enforcing laws? I've hit so many people right in front of a cop and nothing... it feels a bit weird

sometimes they're all over you, and sometimes they don't do anything. I think there's a detection algorithm.

Solo

Wizpig said:
You made that up, c'mon, i don't believe you.:lol

Id believe it. I had a cop pull his gun and start firing on a cab driver for assaulting me.... made all the more funny because the cabbie was assaulting me since I had stolen his cab and he was trying to get it back. The cabbie was running away from the cop, who was shouting something along the lines of "oh, its on NOW!"

The cops are wicked awesome in LC, lolz.

Meier

Am I crazy or did they get rid of the skills in this version of the game? That was one of the best, most enjoyable parts of San Andreas... can I never expect my car's handling to get any better?

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Meier said:
Am I crazy or did they get rid of the skills in this version of the game? That was one of the best, most enjoyable parts of San Andreas... can I never expect my car's handling to get any better?

I'm sorta glad that's gone. I was never a fan of it in SA. After a few hours playing (or 10) you'll have a much better handling of the cars yourself.

Brashnir said:
sometimes they're all over you, and sometimes they don't do anything. I think there's a detection algorithm.

It's just a bit weird... I've played almost 9 hours today and I haven't been busted once. Legit, not once.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
Does anyone else think that taking taxi cab rides are just one of the subtle types of awesome that one experences in this game. Just watching the scenery go by, it looks and feels like a real taxi ride. Good job Rockstar.

Is there a list of what songs come on which radio stations? I know in one of the earlier videos I heard Smashing Pumpkins, but through my several hours of play time I havent heard them once.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
I'm loving it and the game has exceeded most of my expectations but...

Is it just me or is it really, really quiet? I swear I have to play the game at double the volume of any other game on the 360 and that's with all in-game volume settings at full. I forgot I had it so loud and when I switched back to normal television I nearly shat myself. It was as if Thor had descended into my living room and started masterbating.

A little late, but who cares? SO MUCH HAPPY.

2452953629_e003801db3.jpg

Now if only I had a 360 here to play it on...

Christ, I only played for 2 hours and I'm regretting not taking tomorrow off. Excellent so far.

Oh, and THE OPENING CREDITS ARE OH MY FUCKING GOD PHENOMENAL.

Ferrio

Banned
Bah, I want to play multiplayer. The bit I played last night rocked, and I went and got a proper headset... now the servers are kaput.

pringles

Willy Wanka said:

Is it just me or is it really, really quiet? I swear I have to play the game at double the volume of any other game on the 360 and that's with all in-game volume settings at full. I forgot I had it so loud and when I switched back to normal television I nearly shat myself. It was as if Thor had descended into my living room and started masterbating.
I feel the exact oppposite, I had to turn down the volume on the Radio and sometimes I even turn it off because otherwise my head hurts from all the noise.

woodchuck

i took a break from GTA to study for an exam tomorrow only to come to GAF and read more about GTA

this game is amazing, and i've only completed like 4 or 5 missions. i'm having so much fun just dicking around.

the "queen latifah" hooker is hilarious to fuck. and god damn. i spent a ton of money at the strip clubs just because I wanted Niko to say "Is this shit legal?". he never said it :(

Willy Wanka said:

Yeah, I'm having to turn up the volume on my TV up a few more notches than usual as well.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Linkzg said:
Is there a list of what songs come on which radio stations? I know in one of the earlier videos I heard Smashing Pumpkins, but through my several hours of play time I havent heard them once.
It's also available to see in the manual.

Willy Wanka said:

I had to turn the volume WAY up and I'm still having trouble hearing it. I have it set on 30 right now, and I normally play COD4 on 15-17.

Weenerz said:
I am horrible at darts, well the end anyways, I didn't read the directions. HALP!

You have to double-out to win, and it has to be exact.

Socreges

Banned
i think im going to take a break from the missions and just explore the city. i dont want to move on to algonquin (sic?) before really feeling out the east.

inner-G said:
date someone.

Michelle
but WHY?

woodchuck

Socreges said:
i think im going to take a break from the missions and just explore the city. i dont want to move on to algonquin (sic?) before really feeling out the east.

but WHY?

i dont think you're forced to date someone. i dont know the benefits of dating except it passes the time if you get bored

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
Also, I've been playing this game for a sum of about 20 hours, and haven't even touched the multiplayer yet, and probably won't be for atleast a week.

Teknoman

Augh! Bitch ass toll booth! :lol

I just finish a mission for LJ, and im headed back to my safehouse with a cycle I found on the way from the mission. Im going down the bridge pretty fast, and just decide to call Roman to see if he needs some help. He does, and while im distracted listening to him, I completely forget im headed towards the toll booth and...

BAM! Clotheslined by the toll booth arm off the bike, and land on my back three cars ahead, right on top of...

an LCPD cruiser. How am I gonna get out of this one...

Solo

Himuro said:
Where can I find a car wash?

One of the early Vlad missions forces you to wash a car, so that should be on your map (since it seems that you have been playing lots, so I assume youve gotten that mission).

Teknoman

Himuro said:
Where can I find a car wash?

You have to unlock it I think. I've been playing for awhile, yet I still think im in the "tutorial" stage of things since im still being taught control functions and unlocking various stores.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Himuro said:
Achievement Unlocked: Warm Coffee :lol

I love the fact that they can laugh at themselves... I also love how
in that sex scene they yell things like "oh, you're such a good listener!"

I think that's a little bit of plausible deniability... so that when Fox comes calling they can say "You're reading into that too much... they were talking and listening to one another!"

Teknoman

PIMPBYBLUD said:
so much fun
waiting till people get there money from ATM then beat them down and take it:D

Think thats good? Take a walk down where those fat business guys with briefcases and/ or coffee are. Push em over stuff and take their cash. Then pick up said coffee and throw it at a police car or taxi then run :lol

El_TigroX said:
I love the fact that they can laugh at themselves... I also love how
in that sex scene they yell things like "oh, you're such a good listener!"

I think that's a little bit of plausible deniability... so that when Fox comes calling they can say "You're reading into that too much... they were talking and listening to one another!"

lol yeah:

"Niko! Tell me more! Tell me MORE!"

Teknoman

Smokey Bones said:
Can you still pick up hookers like you could in the others.

I roll up to em with the pimpest car and honk but no dice!

You can. And its a little more explicit than usual...so thats one thing Weasel news can rat on.

EDIT: Yes I just got about 1hr ago that Weasel news is a parody of FOX.

Top Bottom