• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

FrankT

DLC, possibly as early as this summer;

Rockstar's "Lazlow" (one of the game's DJs) made another appearance on the Opie and Anthony show this morning. This time he claimed that the Xbox 360's DLC is being worked on at the moment and could see the light of day as early as this summer. Not much was said about PS3 DLC other than he hoped to see it happen in the future. Our guess is that Microsoft will release the DLC whenever it works best with their general plan of attack—be that as soon as Rockstar finishes the content or months later—since paying $50 million and ruling a platform probably affords you such luxuries.

http://kotaku.com/385271/gta-iv-dlc-arriving-this-summer

Teknoman

krackerjack said:
Well...I did but it just keeps making "beep" noises....does that man its dialing?? haha geez I feel dumb

Press up to bring the phone up, then press up again to move to the numbers. Now just dial like normal phone (press in on the number).

painey said:
that 30 hour achievement has me pissed off beyond belief.. i want to enjoy the game and watch TV, look for pigeons, explore.. but this achievement to beat the story in 30 hours is constantly hanging over me.. i hate the idea of blocking it off and i dont want to play through again.. really, really fucking stupid to put it in if you ask me.

after looking through the achievements I already found a few I won't even be attempting...like all the multi-player ones and the 30 hour achievement. Especially that damn one that makes you kill a rockstar employee online, so stupid.

Jtwo said:
so... Ok..

How do you do vigilante missions and paramedic stuff?

You unlock vigilante missions after you do a few missions for a guy called brucie. They're accessed via the police computer network from inside parked cop cars.

Halvie

Banned
Only played for an hour or two so far. I think it is pretty fun. Like others have said hand to hand feels kinda weak. I haven't gotten a gun yet so can't really comment on that. Driving feels better than the previous games from what I can recall. Not really sure why this game has gotten so many 10s though. Hopefully it will get more interesting...more maybe GTA is just not my thing (never like the previous games). Anyone else have GTA4 crap all over the local news and radio stations today? I was kinda shocked it wasn't negative talking about the violence and more positive storys.

Baker

Banned
I tried searching this beast, and didn't find any mention of it.

When does the PS3 version actually start rumbling? I've played for 1.5 hours and the only time the controller has rumbled is when I turn it off->on in the options screen.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
ahhh crap I'm on my phone and can't highlight stuff. :lol

I didn't know it would be "spoiler" worthy so I'll just assume its unlock by ingame events.

^ yeah the vibration is incredibly weak on the xbox version too

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Anybody else think there should be some smaller maps included? While I love the open world aspect, a lot fo the time is spent just finding people to shoot, rather than, you know, shooting them.

also, what's the ponit of Rockstar Social Club? i can't seem to find any stts, therefore, i'm not seeing the point.

Wollan

Baker said:
When does the PS3 version actually start rumbling? I've played for 1.5 hours and the only time the controller has rumbled is when I turn it off->on in the options screen.

Phone calls and sex scenes is the two occasions I remember.

Speaking of sex scenes, I can see where the AU version is censored now. When picking up a prostitute, you 'see' the action from the rear bumper of the car. The only thing you see is the car shaking accordingly.

WOW! What a difference it makes you raise the contrast. I had contrast set ast 90 on my TV and raised it to 100 while increase the ingame brightness a few notches up. The game is DEFINATELY better looking. At first, I had brightness set to max and everything looked terrible.

Halvie

Banned
Anyone else kinda not like all the talk about boobs and constant f-bombs and whatnot? I don't get how the game is supposed to be for adults when they include shit like that. Makes me sorta embarrassed to play. Definitely wouldn't play this around family members or women.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
For those that can't read the cell phone, you get the upgraded model with white text on a black background in
Playboy X's mission "Photo Shoot". You meet him once you get to Manhattan.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Halvie said:
Anyone else kinda not like all the talk about boobs and constant f-bombs and whatnot? I don't get how the game is supposed to be for adults when they include shit like that. Makes me sorta embarrassed to play. Definitely wouldn't play this around family members or women.
ya, it's kinda ridiculous. HEY MAN TITS I LOVE TITS MAN LETS GRAB SOME TITTIES. I think it's just the awkward way Roman says titties that irks me though

JaseMath

Jason's Ultimatum said:
WOW! What a difference it makes you raise the contrast. I had contrast set ast 90 on my TV and raised it to 100 while increase the ingame brightness a few notches up. The game is DEFINATELY better looking. At first, I had brightness set to max and everything looked terrible.
So wait (b/c I was really wondering), jack up the contrast a lot and the brightness/color just a little? I was playing with the settings and couldn't get anything to look that much better...not that it looked bad to begin with.

SpeedingUptoStop

sefskillz said:
ya, it's kinda ridiculous. HEY MAN TITS I LOVE TITS MAN LETS GRAB SOME TITTIES. I think it's just the awkward way Roman says titties that irks me though
Roman's a fucked up individual in general though.

Halvie said:

I don't take it seriously. Maybe that has something to do with being an adult...?

Oh, and WTF MINE'S FROZEN TWICE NOW ON THE SAME MISSION.

sefskillz said:

It is supposed to be awkward and kind of ridiculous. Roman doesn't represent a normal male and he comes off as an idiot.

JasonMCG said:
So wait (b/c I was really wondering), jack up the contrast a lot and the brightness/color just a little? I was playing with the settings and couldn't get anything to look that much better...not that it looked bad to begin with.

Worked for me. I actually played with the ingame's contrast and for some reason, it didn't look as good as my TV's contrast setting. Like I said, at first, I just had brightness maxed out in the ingame's setting. Everything looked too bright and was hiding a lot of the game's details.

might be beaten on this, but when you go to the web cafe and browse the downloadable ring tones one of them goes YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH and its named the Science of Crime. The description is a paragrah of CSI Miami trolling.

HOLY SHIT! GTA IV FOR WII!!!

Here's a vid:

2n8v906.gif

TheQueen'sOwn

insert blank space here
Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Ok here's a random moment. I just jacked someones car and as I close the door their arm gets stuck in the door. So there I am driving down the road with the person screaming as I drag there body going 40 mph. :lol

Watch out... that can happen when you try to kick someone out of their car.
The bastard dragged me forever! :lol

besada

Banned
Papercuts said:
I like the graphics, but I was really stunned at the thunderstorm, made the game look incredible. People walking down the streets with umbrellas or covering their head with a newspaper, crackling lightning, you can see the sidewalks glisten, and the roads make driving cars a lot more fun. :p

If you liked the thunderstorm, take a taxi or Roman's Car Service through one. The view out the window while you ride is amazing.

Baker said:

Thunder, wow.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Just did the warehouse fire fight w/ Little Jacob. The indoor gun fights are much better than before thanks to the cover and blind fire. I got pissed when a hat I just bought got knocked off after getting hit by a car. :lol

Ok, so I really, really want to buy GTAIV, and I'd like the special edition. I had 90€ to spend and as I was about to buy it, I realized it cost 120€.

120€.

I shit a brick, right there.

That's $186.

Fuck you, FNAC.

I need to check the price somewhere else. Isn't the US version $90?

SpeedingUptoStop

Cops are kind pushovers in this game. The only way they really get you is if they wear you down.

I'm having withdrawals.....why did I let my brother play? WHYYYYY?

FrankT

inertiatic said:
Ok, so I really, really want to buy GTAIV, and I'd like the special edition. I had 90€ to spend and as I was about to buy it, I realized it cost 120€.

120€.

I shit a brick, right there.

That's $186.

Fuck you, FNAC.

I need to check the price somewhere else. Isn't the US version $90?

$186, haha carazzzzzzy. Yea, US version is $90.

Flesh Into Gear said:
might be beaten on this, but when you go to the web cafe and browse the downloadable ring tones one of them goes YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH and its named the Science of Crime. The description is a paragrah of CSI Miami trolling.
Seriously? :lol :lol

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Any idea on how to fix the camera system? I hate that the camera follows my character when walking around. I prefer a free camera. It's especially annoying in MP, so is there any way to fix this or do I just have to deal with it?

Teknoman

Baker said:

Shooting, getting hit, thunder strikes, cell phone rings, and lots of other things.

G-Bus

Banned
What a game. Don't think I'll be getting much sleep tonight. I hope R* can get multi-player going on the PS3 version sooner rather than later. Managed to launch a free roam game by myself, and attempted to join a game but I got disconnected in the middle of joining and my game froze :( Often times I just get "service provider is busy"

Never had a GTA story pull me in like this. I actually want to see what happens next, see the plot move forward. Not much time for screwing around. Just mission after mission.

When you do this one mission for
Vlad, and he wants you to go kill Ivan. You chase him across the rooftops and then you get to choose whether he lives or dies. I let him live.
Hopefully that doesn't come back to bite me in the ass later on. Better be more missions like this. So damn awesome.

Teknoman

Mooreberg said:
Biological reactions at the strip club as well.

And after dates :D

G-Bus said:
Never had a GTA story pull me in like this. I actually want to see what happens next, see the plot move forward. Not much time for screwing around. Just mission after mission.

When you do this one mission for
Vlad, and he wants you to go kill Ivan. You chase him across the rooftops and then you get to choose whether he lives or dies. I let him live.
Hopefully that doesn't come back to bite me in the ass later on. Better be more missions like this. So damn awesome.

You and me both.

Domino Theory said:
Any idea on how to fix the camera system? I hate that the camera follows my character when walking around. I prefer a free camera. It's especially annoying in MP, so is there any way to fix this or do I just have to deal with it?

Uhh.. question. Does multiplayer have to be unlocked or something?

EDIT: Just read Gbus' post.. nevermind..

Ps3 version looks gorgeous. at first when my brother played it he set the brightness and contrast almost all the way up and turned down saturation. My Samsung had Game Mode on. turned it off and it looks great. Had like 80% of the jaggies gone ;3

vilmer_

JasonMCG said:

Yep, I found it the same. I tried experimenting with upping the brightness, but all it did was make the clouds disappear in the sky and put a horrible shine on everything. I left the brightness on default and cranked up the contrast to a suitable level and it looks great! I also turned down the saturation a notch or two.

SpeedingUptoStop

BirdFlu said:
How do you host a game in GTA4?
You either have to create a custom game, or probably have the highest connection. Everytime the host left the game I was in, I became the host, so hopefully that means my connection's good.

Multiplayer is so frenetic you hardly notice the difference in GTA games. the targeting system is good shit though, just gotta get used to free aim.

Rorschach

Awesome so far. Word of advice for those having trouble driving: first person view. I went from ok to driving like an elite getaway man. :p I've pulled some great escapes. Depends on the car, though. Some cars are much better in fpv.

Bas Rutten show is pretty much that youtube vid on self defense. :lol

god damn man. i cant get online. im guessing sony fucked up again since the 360 version can play online but this is fuckin ridiculous. and the ps store seems to be suffering too. no images are showing up and i cant dl anything from there.....something told me i shoulda just got the 360 version.....

SpeedingUptoStop

Rorschach said:
Awesome so far. Word of advice for those having trouble driving: first person view. I went from ok to driving like an elite getaway man. :p I've pulled some great escapes.l
I'll have to look into this.

Top Bottom