• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

Brashnir

Willy Wanka said:
One of my favourite moments so far was during the initial cutscene for one of Little Jacob's missions

It's the mission where you have to follow/chase after the dealer and then kill him and his supplier in their apartment. Nico's facial expressions while the Jamaican guy was talking in the opening dialogue were just priceless :lol :lol It's a moment you couldn't have in previous GTA games so it really stood out for me.

It gets even funnier in one of his later missions.

Linkhero1

BlueTsunami said:
Euphoria rocks

Bumping into people and seeing them flail about as they hit the guard rail = Highlight of this gen
My favorite part is when you crash your car and smash through the windshield. Yeah Euphoria rocks! I wish we see it used with more games.

Himuro said:
Man, memorizing all of Broker is becoming a serious undertaking.

:lol

I just unlocked Algonquin.

Although it is actually much more of a grid. The entire East Side of Liberty City is fucking insane, street-wise.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
No Means Nomad said:
I ran headfirst into a cop car and I guess even cops forget to buckle up sometimes.

Would be awesome if there was a secret button sequence to fasten a seatbelt in this game.

Mrbob

Been playing for the past couple hours and having a good time.

The writing is brilliant. So many funny lines. Pop in isn't bad at all (360), and while the frame rate will occasionally chug horribly most of the times it is OK. I wouldn't say it is as smooth as reviewers suggested, but at least it isn't PS2 level bad.

The controls are a still a bit clunky. Even walking movement really isn't that great. Shooting feels a bit like a chore too. Combat is better than PS2 GTA but that isn't saying much. Could use a heavy dose of tweaking.

Time to hang it up for tonight, but I look forward to digging into more of the story tommorrow.

MercuryLS

Banned
The first scene with Mikhail was brilliant (the one in his basement). I've never seen such amazing cutscenes in a game, they're good enough for TV/Movies.

Himuro said:
I always try to memorize the layout of the cities first thing I do. No dice in this one. Maybe I'll learn the layout better as I do more missions.

Also, as the strip club me and Roman went to in Duke? I thought Broker was the only one available at the beginning?

At least there is a GPS now (which is actually the only thing Saints Row did better) to help you get around. Granted you miss the short cuts and alternate routes, it still isnt bad.

Kusagari

Willy Wanka said:
One of my favourite moments so far was during the initial cutscene for one of Little Jacob's missions

It's the mission where you have to follow/chase after the dealer and then kill him and his supplier in their apartment. Nico's facial expressions while the Jamaican guy was talking in the opening dialogue were just priceless :lol :lol It's a moment you couldn't have in previous GTA games so it really stood out for me.

Also

The first execution :O :O :O

The scene with Badman 'explaining' the situation to Niko is still my favorite scene so far. You know things are bad when Little Jacob has to translate for you :lol :lol

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I love the TV,
Kat Williams is FUNNY!!!!

The cell phone is such an awesome idea, so simple yet very useful. I'm shocked no other "sandbox" game used this.

GPS system rocks. I "stole" this car, well technically the drive was in a car accident and was fighting with someone then got arrested, so i took his vehicle and it had a GPS system with voice, so cool.

I love this game. :D

neojubei said:
I love the TV,

The cell phone is such an awesome idea, so simple yet very useful. I'm shocked no other "sandbox" game used this.

Saints Row had a cellphone and it does some things more and a lot less than GTA4 does.

BenjaminBirdie said:
It wasn't a mission.

I don't know what it was considered.

it happend twice where
I randomly run into someone and there is a mini-mission. With Badman I had to go kill some thugs and someone else complained about me being a commie and gave me $100 American dolllars.

MercuryLS said:
The first scene with Mikhail was brilliant (the one in his basement). I've never seen such amazing cutscenes in a game, they're good enough for TV/Movies.

Seriously, the acting in the cutscenes and interstitials (like waiting in a cab ride with Playboy X [YES!!! I GOT UP TO PLAYBOY X!!!]) is really amazing. There's so much depth to every single interaction and character and the close of the Broker oriented missions is so fucking gripping, totally due to the character acting and cutscene quality.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
I just had a funny moment.

I was driving on the wrong side of the street but not particularly fast and I hit an oncoming Humvee head on. It wasn't a huge accident but I noticed there was smoke coming out the windows of the Humvee. All of a sudden all three guys in the car jumped out on fire and started rolling around on the ground screaming in unison :lol The fire spread and the hummer eventually exploded but it was a thing of beauty.

The dialog on the 360 version sounds really compressed.. It's also mixed really low compared to the music with a 5.1 setup and that makes it hard as hell to hear. Why is it so hard for game devs to get the dialog volume right in 5.1 when most movies pull it off easily in my same setup?

Also, does the PS3 audio sound just as heavily compressed? (plz no console warz)

Brashnir

Linkzg said:
Saints Row had a cellphone and it does some things more and a lot less than GTA4 does.

yeah. this game really takes it to the next level though. In SR, your phone was an optional tool. Here, it's an integral part of the UI.

Linkzg said:
it happend twice where
I randomly run into someone and there is a mini-mission. With Badman I had to go kill some thugs and someone else complained about me being a commie and gave me $100 American dolllars.

That's so awesome.

(I went back and tagged it.)

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
Holy shit.

I just did the mission for Little Jacob where you kill the drug dealers. And wow, I totally underestimated the gun battles in this game. The bodies fall so realistically, and the sound and pacing is perfect

Topher said:
Holy shit.

I just did the mission for Little Jacob where you kill the drug dealers. And wow, I totally underestimated the gun battles in this game. The bodies fall so realistically, and the sound and pacing is perfect

Wait until you get the more epic shootouts. The combat mechanics really shine when you're making your way through longer and more involved firefights.

I honestly look forward to playing this game through again, simply because they're so much fun.

The Crimson Kid

what are you waiting for
polyh3dron said:
The dialog on the 360 version sounds really compressed.. It's also mixed really low compared to the music with a 5.1 setup and that makes it hard as hell to hear. Why is it so hard for game devs to get the dialog volume right in 5.1 when most movies pull it off easily in my same setup?

Also, does the PS3 audio sound just as heavily compressed? (plz no console warz)

Some of the pedestrian dialogue can sound heavily compressed. However, I rarely notice it after awhile. Compressed pedestrian dialogue has been in every GTA game. It s compressed so they can have more responses on hand so you don't hear repeats.

I think hearing multiple high-compression dialogues would be better than having one or two high bitrate lines repeated ad nauseum.

Remy

Just went on my first non-Michelle love-meet date, and hooooooly shit does
Carmen/SOBOHOE
remind me of some people I've met. I cannot even begin to tell you.

Also had my first MAJOR ethical choice of the game
where Playboy X and Dwayne both ask you to kill the other. I offed Playboy X since I felt Niko liked Dwayne better anyhow. Hope this was the right choice.

The Crimson Kid said:
Some of the pedestrian dialogue can sound heavily compressed. However, I rarely notice it after awhile. Compressed pedestrian dialogue has been in every GTA game. It s compressed so they can have more responses on hand so you don't hear repeats.

I think hearing multiple high-compression dialogues would be better than having one or two high bitrate lines repeated ad nauseum.
I was talking about the cutscenes though, like in the first one when Niko arrives at Roman's apartment.

I could really give a shit about dialogue from the pedestrians.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
It seems nearly impossible to get arrested now, you either escape or die, and since dying still lets you keep your weapons I'm finding everything a lot easier so far. I even got that survive 6 stars for 5 minutes achievement by accident. :lol

Fifty

hotsauceiswack said:
I just found a sweet Corvette and i want to save it. Where can i bring it??

The yellow outlined parking spot in front of your house. They tell you to store cars there at the start of the game.

Brashnir

Papercuts said:
It seems nearly impossible to get arrested now, you either escape or die, and since dying still lets you keep your weapons I'm finding everything a lot easier so far. I even got that survive 6 stars for 5 minutes achievement by accident. :lol
since you can just hit A to escape the "busted" animation, there's no reason to really ever get arrested. I make them kill me so I get to keep my ammo.

Maggot9

Banned
Topher said:
I tell you. That "paint" filter really takes some getting used to, I wish they'd give you the option to cut it off.

Still, it's good to be back in LC and i'm having a blast so far.

Are you talking about viewing the cities in the distance/from above, or the "vaseline" effect that's going on. I rather like the distant painting effect when viewing another piece of land a long ways off, has a cool stylish quality, and a good way to save memory. The vaseline effect sucks though.

Kusagari

Papercuts said:

Yeah, doesn't even seem like the cops bother trying to arrest you. They just shoot to kill at like one star.

-Clover

How do you quit the game to go back to the xmb? I saved, Niko woke up, then I hit the PS button, quit game, but the PS3 made two beeps, and restarted it self. Is that normal?

Teknoman

neojubei said:
I love the TV,

GPS system rocks. I "stole" this car, well technically the drive was in a car accident and was fighting with someone then got arrested, so i took his vehicle and it had a GPS system with voice, so cool.

I love this game. :D

Ack he's ON TV too?

One gripe to Rockstar: Who the HELL made the radar/GPS/map/whatever's icons SO DAMN SMALL? I mean jeez. half the time I only get where im going via yellow lines or maping waypoints, and even the sometimes the green line is hardly visible.

-Clover said:
How do you quit the game to go back to the xmb? I saved, Niko woke up, then I hit the PS button, quit game, but the PS3 made two beeps, and restarted it self. Is that normal?

Same here, and Cops will arrest you...if you just stand still on one star.

Seriously there needs to be a patch for bigger icons on the radar and a better back light for the cellphone (unless that improves later) because im about to go blind.

Maggot9

Banned
Seems like it takes a lot of bullets to take even pedestrians down. I load em full of lead, run up to them on the ground, and they're still squirming there. wtf?

Just like the white winged dove...
sings a song ...
Sounds like she's singing...
whoo...whoo...whoo
sings a song...
ooo...baby...ooo...said ooo

Goddammit now I will not be able to get that song out of my head tomorrow.

Teknoman

gta-sa.jpg

Either im missing an option in game or something...because this is how big icons should be on a map.

Fifty

Illuminati said:
sings a song ...
whoo...whoo...whoo
sings a song...
ooo...baby...ooo...said ooo

Goddammit now I will not be able to get that song out of my head tomorrow.

:lol :lol
Yeah that's one of my favorite songs in the game for car chases. I really love this soundtrack.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Brashnir said:
since you can just hit A to escape the "busted" animation, there's no reason to really ever get arrested. I make them kill me so I get to keep my ammo.

And hell, they can't even run to the door and rip you out unless you just aren't paying attention, now they'll grab the door and get dragged.

calder

Teknoman said:
I mean arent HDTV's not supposed to have that too small icon problem, yet it seems developers purposefully put them in game.
I think it's part of their efforts to make the UI streamlined and as unobtrusive as possible. It's mostly a great idea, I hate cluttered HUDs in my games (except WoW which I play in a 50x50 pixel window completely surrounded by icons, grids and stat boxes) but the too-small map HUD and lack of an on-screen clock kind of annoy me a bit. I like to know what time it is without hitting pause.

Crashing your flaming car into another, causing a chain reaction of cars to explode while people get out of their front seat, IN FLAMES, is just ridiculously awesome.
Going near the cars to 'get a better view' and have one of them blow me to away. Not so awesome. Except for the b&w dying effect. That does qualify as awesome.

Top Bottom